(Topic ID: 126615)

Why not a good music pin?

By beefzap

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-2.jpeg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    br2.jpg
    beatlesrb.jpg
    DSC03638_2.jpg
    1035x689-aerosmith-1800-1397651110.jpg
    steventyler.png
    pinhead.jpeg
    wall.jpg
    Journey.jpg
    images.png
    th-2.jpeg
    There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 8 years ago

How about Nine Inch Nails pinball with I want to f@$! You like a animal multi ball. The animations would be something.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from MMuller:

How about Nine Inch Nails pinball with I want to f@$! You like a animal multi ball. The animations would be something.

As long as it's Downward Spiral and before I'm in.

#53 8 years ago

this thread reminds me of being in middle school.
    everything i like is good, everything i dont like is bad...

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from stainedundies:

everything i like is good, everything i dont like is bad...

It reminds me of Pinside.com

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from stainedundies:

It seems that the music pins people are after are the bands they listened to while in middle school.

Well sticking with that theme...

#56 8 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Pink Floyd is great, but they won't sell pins like AC/DC, MET, or Kiss will. Same with ZZ top or Grateful dead.

Stern has probably looked into the licenses. Disagree somewhat on Pink Floyd- I'd think sales would dwarf KISS and probably any band other than the Beatles. Roger Waters would probably never agree to a license though and would probably sue Gilmore & Mason for good measure.

#57 8 years ago

Bob Dylan with custom speech, please.

#58 8 years ago

How about can orchestra theme with Orff Carmina Burana wizard mode or Dies Irae (Mozart or Verdi) multiball?

#59 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tribonian:

Disagree somewhat on Pink Floyd- I'd think sales would dwarf KISS and probably any band other than the Beatles.

Floyd is a great band, and the theme of "The Wall" would be super cool, but the music is just too slow for the pinball designs of today.

Although, that does not mean that some clever designer could not design a "floaty" pin that was actually fun - THEN Floyd would be perfect.

#60 8 years ago

I almost fell asleep at "The Wall" concert.

#61 8 years ago

We once dropped acid and saw a laser show of "The Wall" at a planetarium.

Super literal interpretations of the music, totally sucked.

#62 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

We once dropped acid and saw a laser show of "The Wall" at a planetarium.

+1. Not at a planetarium though.

#63 8 years ago

Foo Fighters- straight ahead rock plus a band that is relevant and currently putting out albums.

Would love Floyd (for a trippy type of game, don't see it happening) or Zeppelin for another reach into the older demographic

#64 8 years ago

The animations on the wall they built was the best part of the show. I had just seen the Ramones prior to that. No sleeping allowed.

#65 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Man that show was kick ass. Other than 25k people holding up their cell phones.

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Man that show was kick ass. Other than 25k people holding up their cell phones.

When I saw that show there were no cell phones.

wall.jpgwall.jpg

#67 8 years ago

Not my favorite bands, but Aerosmith or Mötley Crüe would probably have wide enough appeal combined with obtainable licenses. Both bands have had their music used in commercials so they can't be that cost prohibitive.

In my dream world - KMFDM with the playfield hand drawn by Aidan "Brute" Hughes (http://www.bruteprop.co.uk/gallery.htm).

#68 8 years ago

Ugh, these threads.

"Good" is subjective. Not everyone likes everything.

Stern makes music pins based on icons. Love them or hate them - SOMEONE loves them, or they wouldn't be icons. Every band game Stern (and DE) produced made total sense. GnR, The Who, Elvis, Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Metallica, KISS....icons!

If you don't like a particular band, someone else does. Life goes on.

#69 8 years ago

I have to admit the idea of a classic blues pinball would be pretty cool!
    The Mississippi, the Crossroads, women trouble, dog left you, problems with the drink, etc. Could be fun.
    I am imagining a big photo of Robert Johnson a la the Angus face! Well maybe not, but Robert would have to appear somewhere in it making a deal with the Devil!

#70 8 years ago

GnR is the iconic one because of when it came out. I did not know they ever did a "Who" pinball machine or that might have been great. Especially if it included their 60s music.

#71 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

GnR is the iconic one because of when it came out. I did not know they ever did a "Who" pinball machine or that might have been great. Especially if it included their 60s music.

Well, The Who was Tommy and yes I know it was based on the play...but Tommy is definitely iconic, especially to pinball! GnR seems to be the one that was made so close to the band being new...but GnR definitely was HUUUUUGE and almost instantly iconic. I think part of a band being iconic and making a good pin is that the people in the band are "characters" and even recognized by non-fans. Axl and Slash are definitely characters. As are Brian and Angus. Elvis - total character! Metallica guys...kind of unwittingly became characters, but still. Mick & Keith...characters. Kiss!??! F*cking cartoon characters!

I don't know if any recent rock band is as instantly iconic like GnR was...maybe just the nature of the music biz these days. Rock isn't what it used to be...Foo Fighters keeps getting brought up - good music, but iconic enough to sell pins? Don't think so. Today's instant icons are artists like Lady Gaga....Stern's not going to do Lady Gaga, so - music pins will most certainly continue to be based on iconic classic rockers of yesteryear.

#72 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I assume he's talking about The Who's Tommy?

[EDIT: he beat me to it!]

#73 8 years ago

From what I have heard Slash was as much responsible for making GnR happen as was Data East. He has always been a big fan of pinball.

Quoted from Rarehero:

GnR seems to be the one that was made so close to the band being new

For me, this is what separates GnR from all the other music machines. At the time it was released, for someone like me it was totally unexpected, but it just oozed cool. That and it was one of the better playing machines of it's day.

That is what I am waiting for now, but will probably never see. A surprise of sorts. Before the pinball re-birth in the 90s I was kind of living in the past. But arcades were full of machines that represented current culture with sprinklings of the past brought me into the "now". Not the other way around.

#74 8 years ago

Some band pins i'd like to see:

Aerosmith
    Bob Marley
    Grateful Dead
    Jimi Hendrix
    Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    The Beatles
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

#75 8 years ago

Yes, please.
    1. Muse
    2. Queen
    3. Peppers
    4. Daft Punk
    5. Rammstein
    6. Chemical Brothers

#76 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The Division Bell in 94 was my first, last and only chance to see Pink Floyd. It stands as the best arena rock show I have been to. However, one of the best shows I have seen was Blonde Redhead at Zoots Coffee house in the Cass Corridor (Detroit) in 1997. Between bands, I would sit on the porch and have interesting conversations with Crack addicts and Prostitutes. Nothing like an all ages show in Detroit in the 90s.

#77 8 years ago

yesss!!

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from leaffan67:

I am imagining a big photo of Robert Johnson a la the Angus face!

I don't think there are any photos of Robert Johnson.

Every one that has ever been attributed to him, always turn out to be fakes.

Even "the one" picture was said not to have been him by people who actually knew him.

#79 8 years ago

I have over 3000 CD's from the 1920's to stuff released last week. I have zero Kiss, AC/DC, or Metallica CD's in my collection. Don't dislike these bands but just not my kind of music. There are tons of people that I know that are in the same boat musically.

So just one pinball for another type of musical taste? Is Stern listening?

#80 8 years ago

Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin are two of my favourite bands. They would not make good pinball machine themes.

You need fast paced adrenaline inducing rock for pinball.

Iron Maiden is the best choice for the next great rock pin.

After that, I see very few options. This saddens me, as I love rock pins.

#81 8 years ago
    Quoted from beefzap:

I have over 3000 CD's from the 1920's to stuff released last week. I have zero Kiss, AC/DC, or Metallica CD's in my collection. Don't dislike these bands but just not my kind of music. There are tons of people that I know that are in the same boat musically.
    So just one pinball for another type of musical taste? Is Stern listening?

I doubt there will be a music pin made that is not Pop "rock" of some form. Our wish of an "underground" music pin can only be achieved on our own.....Re-theme, original home brew, digital (uggg).... but I won't be holding my breath, for a Primus pin, much less a Medeski Martin and Wood whitewood.

#82 8 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

Between bands, I would sit on the porch and have interesting conversations with Crack addicts and Prostitutes. Nothing like an all ages show in Detroit in the 90s.

Oh man, try Cro-Mags @ Harpos '87...well that was a little sketchy.

Quoted from o-din:

At the time it was released, for someone like me it was totally unexpected, but it just oozed cool.

Especially since it was a great Data East. And the sense of humor was great...Axle is in a coma, get to the hospital...wow.

#83 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh man, try Cro-Mags @ Harpos '87...well that was a little sketchy.

Nice.

I don't think I have seen the Cro-Mags...Though, some of my friends did in NYC. If I had more time and money, I would build a Warzone, Gorilla biscuits, or NOFX pinball....likely NOFX, the high energy and cartoonish persona of NOFX would be awesome!

#84 8 years ago

Muse is huge. But I've been on this forum long enough to know it would never fly in the current pinball world until maybe 20 years after the fact.

#85 8 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin are two of my favourite bands. They would not make good pinball machine themes.

People say this often about music pinball themes, its just not true. Listen to the games we play, many pins have slower music incorporated. Pink Floyd is a good example of the type of slower music that would work in a game, because of the symphonic, quality of their songs. Pink Floyds music takes you on a journey.....many wont agree, but think WOZ...LOTR, not ACDC, IM.

#86 8 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

People say this often about music pinball themes, its just not true. Listen to the games we play, many pins have slower music incorporated. Pink Floyd is a good example of the type of slower music that would work in a game, because of the symphonic, quality of their songs. Pink Floyds music takes you on a journey.....many wont agree, but think WOZ...LOTR, not ACDC, IM.

Those games have themes though. With a rock pin, the music is the theme.

Edit: Actually, arguing against a Floyd machine is ridiculous. Sign me up for an Animals LE!

#87 8 years ago

Quoted from Maken:Those games have themes though. With a rock pin, the music is the theme.

I disagree. The music is not the full theme, the band is the theme, the music supports the theme of the band as a whole. I can think of a million different modes including the music/lyrics of PF. If it were all about the "music" I would hope a different music pin would be made over all the bands so far.

Lets just agree to disagree. Its all good and only pinball talk.

#88 8 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Led Zeppelin

Who says you can't have both?

#89 8 years ago

Ramones, Ramones, Ramones.
    So much to pull from, and NOT make it another hokey, lets look for a toy, machine.
    The artwork and music would stand on its own. I would love to help on that.

#90 8 years ago

Haven't all the recent music pins based on bands still touring/active? Well - except Elvis but he's in a entirely different universe.

The Beatles nor Zepplin will not ever happen. If you follow either of those bands, you know all the legal issues and how protective they are.

Stones/ACDC/KISS/Metallica - all are major brands with international appeal and years of constant exposure. A pin based on a cult band just isn't in the cards. I would guess even Queen or Van Halen would be near impossible at this time.

#91 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

lets look for a toy

Gabba gabba hey!
    pinhead.jpegpinhead.jpeg

#92 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Muse is huge. But I've been on this forum long enough to know it would never fly in the current pinball world until maybe 20 years after the fact.
    » YouTube video

Yeah, I know what you mean. But, a man can dream.

I do like the new KISS' artwork and all. Still, it's a joke that Stern is trying to shine with bands that were hot fourty f*cking years ago. A more current band theme like Muse or Foo Fighters (or Miley f*cking Cyrus for all that matters) would interest a younger crowd for pinball. With these old bands, Stern is promoting pinball more and more as a thing of the past.

Great video of Knights of Cydonia in Reading, by the way! Makes me want to buy a Pinkpop festival ticket.

#93 8 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

These guys are pretty quick. Would do better in UK than Kiss but not elsewhere I fear.

#94 8 years ago

motorhead

#95 8 years ago

I'm holding out for Winger. Glad some people are excited for the new Kiss pin. Not a chance it will enter my game room, though

#96 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Not joking at all, but I actually heard a Volbeat song on commercial radio last summer!

Local station on the Wisconsin-Illinois border (WIIL, go figure) plays Volbeat somewhat regularly. Several different tunes.

#97 8 years ago

Tenacious D would make for a pretty hilarious pin. I bet they'd even record music just for the game. heh.

#98 8 years ago

how about something new... for the new generation? since most of the machine goes in the arcades/on route, wouldn't that make sens? since that's what they are trying to do.

imagine back in the days going to the arcade and playing a barbra streisand, perry como, kenny rogers and all the same crap playing 2 decades before that pinball.

why every time it's gotta be the same old suggestions...
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.... c'mon
    anthrax.... really
    insert irrelevant titles here_________

#99 8 years ago

Truthfully, after reading so many positive comments regarding the KISS pin, I think Stern understands their audience very well. ACDC and Metallica have presumably sold very well based on what I've seen and read (It doesn't hurt that they are amazingly designed games). It's the 40-somethings who are buying pins. Makes sense - midlife crisis age men are the ideal market for pricey toys and pins are considerably cheaper than corvettes.
    That being said, I would have loved to see Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, or Pink Floyd but it's likely these were just too expensive to acquire. Truthfully, I don't listen to a lot of FLoyd, but imagine the psychedelic color scheme and lighting that machine would have!
    And how would a giant Steven Tyler head look on a playfield? Probably as bad as Angus did on the ACDC PF , but with KISS it just fits for people (not me). It's so over the top that it fits the band and the machine.

Just my 2 cents.

#100 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jappie:

I do like the new KISS' artwork and all. Still, it's a joke that Stern is trying to shine with bands that were hot fourty f*cking years ago. A more current band theme like Muse or Foo Fighters (or Miley f*cking Cyrus for all that matters) would interest a younger crowd for pinball. With these old bands, Stern is promoting pinball more and more as a thing of the past.

Perhaps pinball itself has outlived it's own relevance by becoming a hobby of nostalgia, but in doing so it has affirmed it's own death sentence by not trying to appeal to a younger generation. When it finally does fade out for good along with the rest of us, our kids will be left wondering what to do with these contraptions that are monuments to bands and movies that they never heard of and have no reason to have any interest in.

There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-not-a-good-music-pin/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.