Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MattElder
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which comedian would make the best pin?”

• Robin Williams 6 votes
      5%
    • Richard Pryor 2 votes
      2%
    • Jerry Seinfeld 12 votes
      10%
    • Chris Rock 2 votes
      2%
    • Rodney Dangerfield 7 votes
      6%
    • Dave Chapelle 11 votes
      9%
    • George Carlin 7 votes
      6%
    • Larry the Cableguy 1 vote
      1%
    • None at all. It’s a stupid idea 70 votes
      59%

(118 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    1794070_web1_gtr-liv-dunham-101219[1] (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210902-101045_Samsung Notes (resized).jpg
    6AA0CAE8-3BA8-4177-96C7-13E08BFD24D2 (resized).jpeg
    benny_hill_show (resized).jpg
    boxing-glove-surprise-my-own-design-35273877 (resized).jpg
    joe-pesci-i-amuse-you.gif
    download.jpeg-3 (resized).jpg
    The-Comedian-watchmen-21507912-2560-1714 (resized).jpg
    unnamed (41) (resized).jpg
    scud-simpsons,-southpark,-rick-and-morty-–-2018 (resized).jpg
    5EAB6DBC-F9F5-4B63-A89D-1B0D0D19DA90 (resized).jpeg
    There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

For everyone complaining about all the old rock themed machines, here’s one to consider. Why not a comedian themed game? Take Robin Williams for example. He had so many rapid fire quips and jokes they could easily fill a pin. The same with most major comedians, like Rodney Dangerfield, Richard Pryor, etc. And if they can make games from song lists of bands I’m sure they can from comedy routines. And if you think the jokes would get old after hearing them a lot, consider the success of comedy albums that used to be played over and over. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

#2 2 years ago

I can't think of a comedian that translates to long term enjoyment of a pin.
    Cheech and Chong are close.
    Rodney is for a different Generation.
    George Carlin would be a Cult Favorite but fails Mainstream.
    Modern Comedians usually are not funny.
    There is just not anyone out there Comedian -Wise that could sustain a pinball Theme.
    Do like Don Rickles though, how he insulted Famous People and they loved it.

#3 2 years ago

Ouch...can't grasp this one and im trying.

#4 2 years ago

Cheech and Chong "Up in Smoke" would be a good candidate.
    Anything else is suspect.

#5 2 years ago
    5EAB6DBC-F9F5-4B63-A89D-1B0D0D19DA90 (resized).jpeg5EAB6DBC-F9F5-4B63-A89D-1B0D0D19DA90 (resized).jpeg
    #6 2 years ago

I used to play pinball. I still do, but I used to too.

#7 2 years ago

Maybe comedian plus movies they've starred in. Maybe.

#8 2 years ago

I think maybe it could work if the theme was "stand-up". You could be an aspiring comedian who has to visit various famous comics to collect jokes and then use them on the stage.

#9 2 years ago

Nothing worse than hearing the same joke, over and over....

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from The_Pump_House:

I used to play pinball. I still do, but I used to too.

Miss that guy

#11 2 years ago

No

#12 2 years ago

Not unless the comedian has a mass-appeal shtick or library that transcends the comedy and vice versa, like Weird Al and his songs or Mel Brooks and his movies.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Nothing worse than hearing the same joke, over and over....

I agree. I think a stand-up comedy pin would get old pretty quick for that reason alone. I'm not really one to listen to comedy albums frequently, and especially not on repeat.

Visual gags might be a better approach. Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, Laurel & Hardy, Three Stooges, Marx Brothers...

I think those would be much easier to work into progressive mode-based play.

#14 2 years ago

Maybe more like a comedy show like The Office, Parks and Rec, or 30 Rock. Something with good, funny actors, but a lot of assets to choose from. Could totally see Spooky or AP do this and would absolutely buy one.

#15 2 years ago

I am not sure how you could integrate the theme? What would be the goal? To hear a certain performance or joke? How would you progress through a game? Most games need some sort of tension - you do this so you can get that… or avoid something bad. Not sure how you could do that with a comedian unless it was something like Road Show where your progress across venues.

#16 2 years ago

scud-simpsons,-southpark,-rick-and-morty-–-2018 (resized).jpgscud-simpsons,-southpark,-rick-and-morty-–-2018 (resized).jpg

#17 2 years ago

Great out of the box thinking! Stunned at the other comments slating some of the GOATs as “cult favorites”.

Hard to imagine modes but I don’t think this is any different than a music pin

#18 2 years ago

how about something completely different?

#19 2 years ago

nah, humor in pinball officially ended when Williams closed their plant.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

There was a Monty Python computer video game I played back in the 90s. Really strange, but strangely addictive. I could see how it could work for a pin.

A let's play video stream:

Still as weird and strange as I remember

[edit]: There's a built-in pinball game at 34:42

#21 2 years ago

A stand up pin would get no respect.

No respect at all.

rd

Hey, I just noticed my initials are the same as Rodney Dangerfield. Who knew!

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

Ben Heck and I both had Monty Python on our radars, but Ben called dibs first.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Ben Heck and I both had Monty Python on our radars, but Ben called dibs first.

Yeah I think everyone agrees that Monty Python translates very well to pinball. That's why it's been #1 on the top100 since its inception

#24 2 years ago

"Take my wife... for instance..."

unnamed (41) (resized).jpgunnamed (41) (resized).jpg
    #25 2 years ago

I'm a fan of comedy and stand up but for a pinball machine it stinks. Jokes get old fast. Have u ever played SS, torture after a while.

#26 2 years ago

How about basing it on a generic standup comedian. Game has everything from an old old 1001 one-liners book loaded in the memory. The guy feeds you a setup from the top of the stack and you have to accomplish something really difficult to hear the setup again and the punchline. If you can't do it the joke gets stored back in the joke stack maybe 20 or 30 jokes from the top so you have to wait for it to come around again. That would drive anybody nuts. Rest of the time he just makes smartass remarks like he would say to a heckler or like Family Guy type stuff. Every joke 'solved' is tossed from the stack so you don't have to hear it again. Just pray the NVRAM chip the memory is on never gives out and you have to start over! Eh who am I kidding, non-licensed games are DOA.

#27 2 years ago

Wrong Comedian?

The-Comedian-watchmen-21507912-2560-1714 (resized).jpgThe-Comedian-watchmen-21507912-2560-1714 (resized).jpg
    #28 2 years ago

Er, no. Bad idea. Maybe a Bill Cosby pin, with his head as a bash toy?

Monty Python would work all day long, in fact....I'm in the middle of writing new code for Medieval Madness, which I now call....Monty Pyhthon's Medieval Madness. I'm converting the game into a Monty Python RPG, and it features content from all the movies and TV shows (well, as much as I can find on YouTube), as well as scenes from Time Bandits and Jabberwockey.

Funny as hell...but just for virtual pinball fans.

#29 2 years ago

Maybe.... for us older guys.. A Cactus Canyon Blazing Saddles version?

The LE could be personally signed by Mel Brooks. A fitting tribute to an exceptional comedian. Still with us at 95 years old.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from MacGruber:

Yeah I think everyone agrees that Monty Python translates very well to pinball. That's why it's been #1 on the top100 since its inception

No its not. Probably the lowest in reasons why that pin is rated high.

Quoted from gdonovan:

Wrong Comedian?

That would be the only way I might buy a "comedian" pin. Or even a comic book pin in general, well thats not true Spawn, The Punisher. Theres many just not the crap we get.

#31 2 years ago

Hickory Dickory Dock. You game idea idea sucks c**k! OOOOOOOOOOOOH!

Just having some fun over here.

download.jpeg-3 (resized).jpgdownload.jpeg-3 (resized).jpg

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

Hickory Dickory Dock. You game idea idea sucks c**k! OOOOOOOOOOOOH!
    Just having some fun over here.
    [quoted image]

Little Boy blew…he needed the money. I appreciate your sarcasm.

But unlike what some others have said, I don’t think the jokes would get old…certainly not any older than call outs get in any typical game. And some comedians like Robin Williams or Rodney have so much material and so many quick one liners you could put hundreds of them into a machine. I am a little more perplexed over what would be the objective of the game, but like I said, if they can come up with objectives for band pins they certainly could for one based on a comedian’s routine(s).

#33 2 years ago

Why not? Because a comedian can get "cancelled" in a heartbeat these days because of a joke.

No way that risk is being taken.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from branlon8:

nah, humor in pinball officially ended when Williams closed their plant.

Dead wrong, Deadpool is hilarious.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Dead wrong, Deadpool is hilarious.

Ghostbusters too

#36 2 years ago

I don't want to pick "Stupid" in the poll, because that's a bit strong.
    It's not a great idea.
    Humor is too dependent on timing, setting, and atmosphere.
    Also, as someone else mentioned, even good jokes would get tiresome over and over.
    There is no way to load enough comedy to stay fresh.
    I don't think it will work in a pin.

Maybe a factory setting with a bunch of jokes. Like a joke factory. Or a pun factory. I know.... a Punny Factory!

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Maybe a factory setting with a bunch of jokes. Like a joke factory. Or a pun factory. I know.... a Punny Factory!

Yeah, I thought of that too. A Laugh Factory (yes, I know that’s a famous comedy club) would be a good objective

#38 2 years ago

Maybe your a club promotor and trying to book comedians for a show. You could have random jokes from various comedians.

Still dont think it would work and I imagine licensing would be a nightmare.

#39 2 years ago

Why limit it to one? Could have a bunch just roasting you for how bad you play.

#40 2 years ago

I've thought a Your Mom's House pin would be hilarious, but it's gonna be X-rated and not have a huge audience.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

Why limit it to one? Could have a bunch just roasting you for how bad you play.

Don Rickles

#42 2 years ago

I don't think a Nick Mullen pin would go over too well.

#43 2 years ago
    joe-pesci-i-amuse-you.gifjoe-pesci-i-amuse-you.gif
    #44 2 years ago

What about a spring-loaded boxing glove in place of the coin door for when you drain the ball -

boxing-glove-surprise-my-own-design-35273877 (resized).jpgboxing-glove-surprise-my-own-design-35273877 (resized).jpg
    #45 2 years ago

My wife was/is a comedian, who now buys comedy talent for live nation, I can tell you this would not work.
    First off yes, I saw my wife perform 100's of times, sometimes had to watch the same set 2 times a night, gets old. Real old (especially if the jokes are about you!)
    Secondly after seeing the hassle she has doing contracts with these jokers, I can't even begin to imagine the nightmare trying to get them to agree to anything.
    Comedy is great, stand up is great, for a pinball theme...
    Not so much.
    B

#46 2 years ago

The only one I would buy would be Rudy Ray Moore.

"Oh daddy! Your ring is hurting me!"
    - "That ain't my ring, that's my watch, bitch!"

#47 2 years ago

The Elvira pins will probably end up being the closest to comedy pins we will see. Those call outs get old as well.

#48 2 years ago

If only there was a comedian that would be funny enough to put in a pinball machine and ALSO use for an avatar...

#49 2 years ago

I've been pushing this idea for a few years.
    Benny Hill pin with full adult humor and TnA would be fun with every plunge.

benny_hill_show (resized).jpgbenny_hill_show (resized).jpg

#50 2 years ago

I always thought The Three Stooges would make an interesting/fun theme.

6AA0CAE8-3BA8-4177-96C7-13E08BFD24D2 (resized).jpeg6AA0CAE8-3BA8-4177-96C7-13E08BFD24D2 (resized).jpeg
    There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-not-a-comedian-themed-pin?hl=crobby and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.