(Topic ID: 128625)

Why no video game franchise based machines?

By dr_nybble

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1420.JPG
image.jpg
defender-pin-1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sparky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 8 years ago

I would love to see God of War, but I don't think it would happen.

I would think Call of Duty and/or Grand Theft Auto would be considered before any others, just based on worldwide recognition.

This topic comes up all the time, and people say, "It wouldn't translate well to pinball," or "Young people don't care about pinball." I would argue that any theme translates well to pinball, if it's done right. Also, the demographics for those games are 10 to 50+ year olds. I'm almost 49 and love to play the campaigns (I don't do multiplayer online).

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

There are two types of people in this world, vid guys and pin guys

That was the "Pinball in Popular Culture" quote I submitted to the Pinheadz podcast from the movie Copland.

I play both, too.

Games I play:

God of War
Assassins Creed series
Arkham series
Bioshock series
Castlevania series
Uncharted series

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Seems like all video game based pins have been failures, except maybe Space Invaders?
I know that recent flops like BBH and RCT probably don't have Stern thinking "Mortal Kombat" these days.
Video-based pins are NOT gonna get kids interested in pinball. It's been tried and it doesn't work.

Based on that assumption, they'll probably decide to not do another Star Wars.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Bingo. Kids that are into Call of Duty or GTA or whatever because they're huge expansive video game worlds that they can play online. Theming a pinball on one of these games won't make them blink. They'd be like "oh...ok...back to Xbox".
Now, basing it on Nintendo or something classic/nostalgic.....that gets pinhead interest & possibly current Nintendo gamer interest...Nintendo gamers, even younger ones, are fiercely loyal to Nintendo & interested in things that are retro....a Nintendo pinball might be interesting to them.

Who cares if it won't make the kids blink? The demographics expand to an age much higher than "kids." When I see a KISS pinball, I don't be like "oh...ok...back to my stereo!"

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pinball is played almost exclusively in private homes and bars now.
Basing themes around what you think "kids" like is ridiculous and will put Stern out of business in no time.
Not to mention the absolute trail of tears that is video-game based pinball machines. With the exception of Space Invaders has ANY one of these games ever been a success? How many Street Fighter IIs did they move?

I agree. Forget the kid-based video games. Many of the ones I mentioned are not kid-based.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Pinball is such a small, niche market though. If I had a cash cow product like Call of Duty, I wouldn't even consider it a possibility.

It's not costing CoD money. I don't understand this line of thinking. It's like saying the same thing for any other popular title:

"Pinball is such a small, niche market though. If I had a hit tv show like TWD, I wouldn't even consider it a possibility."

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The appeal of Call of Duty is the online multiplayer. If themed to a pinball machine it's just "War: The Pinball". Unappealing theme for location or home.

The appeal with any theme is that it's recognizable and cool. Pinball is appealing for location or home because it's pinball, and those of us in the hobby think it's fun. Put a theme on pinball that a lot of us have a connection with, and it becomes more fun. It doesn't have to be like the original online experience. Playing TWD is not like watching the show. I carried a Tarzan lunch pail to school when I was 8-years old. The experience of bringing my lunch to school in that Tarzan lunch pail was nothing like watching the Tarzan TV show, but I thought it was cool.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sparky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-no-video-game-franchise-based-machines?tu=Sparky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.