(Topic ID: 114706)

Why no updates on software in the works from stern?

By twinmice

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by RobT
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
releases.jpg
image.jpg

There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from Dis_Pinballer:

Chambahz,
I think you are a clown as well.
It takes one to know one.

I think you would do well to rethink your strategy on things.
For example, what if you had posted that you're getting frustrated because you thought code would be done by now, and do other owners feel the same, and/or can anything be done?
That would send the same message without the name calling.

One thing that came to mind is this: you bought a NIB machine, opened it, and have likely been enjoying it for awhile. It should not come as a surprise that it has dropped in value, just like any other purchase. You're in luck though as StarTreks seem to have retained much of their value. That was not the case when I found myself in your shoes with an Avengers on my hands.
I learned early on that Stern doesn't fix code quickly. Maybe they're assholes, maybe they aren't. Personally I think they're busy trying to produce too many machines at once but that's just my opinion. If you want to think it's because they're simply evil or whatever, that's your call I guess.
If you're really this unhappy with the game currently, why don't you put it up for trade and see if you can get a mint HUO ACDC, Metallica, or something else with complete, or near complete code instead?
The way I look at it, if I have to take a hit to swap machines, that's the cost of pinball. So long as you don't get stuck with a dud, it shouldn't cost much to keep the line-up fresh and sometimes doesn't cost a thing.
I'm just saying that you'll get more flies with honey instead of vinegar. Calling people monkeys or clowns is rarely helpful when you're really asking for help.

Stern is my favourite pinball company but I wouldn't say I'm blind to their faults. I've learned that by buying machines on day 1 will usually cost me in the end as, like you, I don't have the patience to wait until the game is done. I bought ACDC after most of it was finished. Same with Metallica.
Next purchase is likely a vault edition IronMan.
And yeah, they're uber-conservative with anything remotely negative on their Facebook page. Of course, if it were my page and I was funding it, and potential new buyers were looking at it, i wouldn't want anything but positive comments either.

#102 9 years ago

Stern just posted in a Facebook thread that they are currently working on software updates for all their current games.
Take it for whatever you wish to read into that. Lol

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Stern just posted in a Facebook thread that they are currently working on software updates for all their current games.
Take it for whatever you wish to read into that. Lol

Got a link? im on their FB page now and see nothing.

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Someone posted a screenshot in the We want our Star Trek code thread.
Even though it shows up on my timeline, I can't find it on Sterns main page either

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Just tried this link on my machine and it worked:

https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/posts_to_page

It'a a comment under the post from Paul Knific

#106 9 years ago

"The Stern team continues to work on and improve software for all of our current games."

Utter non-answer buried under a comment. Doesn't mean squat to me.

#107 9 years ago

Found it. And I agree with aurich; not much of a confirmation that they're working on it but more of a sales pitch generic answer.

Edit: I will say though it is a relief to see posts like this by stern. At the very least it acknowledges their pins need continously updating until it goes out of production

image.jpgimage.jpg

#108 9 years ago

StarTrek probally became non-current a minute before the post..

#109 9 years ago

And it doesn't bode well for an Avengers update either as its not a current game.

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Found it. And I agree with aurich; not much of a confirmation that they're working on it but more of a sales pitch generic answer.
Edit: I will say though it is a relief to see posts like this by stern. At the very least it acknowledges their pins need continously updating until it goes out of production

image.jpg 68 KB

Response: and I will continue to put a vise grip on my wallet while I wait for you to improve on said could.
PS: Don't Drink the Kool Aid.

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

"The Stern team continues to work on and improve software for all of our current games."
Utter non-answer buried under a comment. Doesn't mean squat to me.

Heh. I agree with you, but this also goes to a discussion that we've had on this issue previously. This is why I've said in the past that it is not a big deal to me to have Stern tell us that "we are working on code" as you and others have long stated that you wanted, and that it would go a long way to making you feel better knowing that they were actually working on it.

Well, the above quote from Stern is a great example of why it's pretty meaningless to me to have them tell us that. Like you said, it doesn't mean squat.

#112 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Like you said, it doesn't mean squat.

Yup

#113 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Like you said, it doesn't mean squat.

Guess it all depends on who you ask.
Means Squat to me.
Anything is better then silence.

#114 9 years ago

The fact that Stern doesn't say what the state of a specific games software is in is of concern to me. What is the big deal of just telling customers what is being worked on code wise for Star Trek and ACDC?

I don't mean to pull JJP into this but when WOZ's software updates were being released (on average once a month) Keith, Alex and even Jack informed customers about the status of the code. As someone who bought a WOZ that type of openness and commitment to code made me very happy and likely to buy a future JJP pin. The same can be said for Ben Heck with code for America's Most Haunted. Stern can tout that they release 3 titles a year but it doesn't matter when it then may take 3 years to complete the code and owners are left in the dark during the entire process.

Sterns current approach to handling code updates makes them see more concerned with early sales to distributors rather then how well their games actually play and interact with players. Personally I think Stern programmers are not given enough time to complete a games code the way they want and are instead forced to begin working on a new game with time in between being left to complete a previous games code.

#115 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The fact that Stern doesn't say what the state of a specific games software is in is of concern to me. What is the big deal of just telling customers what is being worked on code wise for Star Trek and ACDC?
I don't mean to pull JJP into this but when WOZ's software updates were being released (on average once a month) Keith, Alex and even Jack informed customers about the status of the code. As someone who bought a WOZ that type of openness and commitment to code made me very happy and likely to buy a future JJP pin. The same can be said for Ben Heck with code for America's Most Haunted. Stern can tout that they release 3 titles a year but it doesn't matter when it then may take 3 years to complete the code and owners are left in the dark during the entire process.
Sterns current approach to handling code updates makes them see more concerned with early sales to distributors rather then how well their games actually play and interact with players. Personally I think Stern programmers are not given enough time to complete a games code the way they want and are instead forced to begin working on a new game with time in between being left to complete a previous games code.

Yeah, the kind of posts that Keith made regarding the status of upcoming updates to WOZ code were actual, meaningful posts that had real value...as would be expected as they were made by the programmer himself. If we could get that kind of information from Stern, it would be great too, but it's pretty obvious that isn't going to happen.

Complete opposite of what was posted by Stern on FB, which again, is a perfect example of why I don't really care if they just don't say anything at all.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
10,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Boerne, TX
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winter Garden, FL
6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lexington, SC
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boynton Beach, FL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 49.99
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-no-updates-on-software-in-the-works-from-stern/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.