(Topic ID: 299886)

Why no "The Doors" pinball machine???

By Yesh23

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why no "The Doors" pinball machine???”

• Yes---it'll get made because the music lends itself well to pinball and it could have some killer art. 27 votes
      22%
    • Yes---"The Doors" could have been HUGE if Jim would have lived longer 9 votes
      7%
    • No---much better music options (Queen) and it's going to be very hard after GNR 38 votes
      30%
    • No---the music sucks ass 51 votes
      41%

(125 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    20220104_212303.jpg.ad7e334e56cd790a696378b685cf08ce (resized).jpg
    20220104_212324.jpg.c632171a7037155180fab45b2f1880be (resized).jpg
    433637186_BLUES40Dark.jpg.2713be474e83f3e6f4d7d76244a7a50c (resized).jpg
    the-big-lebowski-bowling.gif
    Black_Sabbath_debut_album (resized).jpg
    52D08520-74C7-4526-BCC5-03FEF45E1F4D.gif
    ed35a49a8f1ae65b87ac36482adb665f (resized).jpg
    There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

I'm curious if a "The Doors" pinball machine would sell? I think I'm pretty biased because I love the music but I'm always curious. I'd think the music would incorporate into modes very well, along with some killer art. I do realize there's other bands that would probably be ahead of "The Doors"--Queen, The Eagles and hell maybe even the Bee Gees. Thoughts???

#2 2 years ago

First off, right now, everything sells so if a Doors pin is made I’m sure it would do okay for that reason alone. Music pins aren’t going away and there aren’t going to be any more classic rock bands from the at era, so I guess the Doors will be a logical choice at some point for that era. I just don’t see it as an A list title. However, it may be more likely than a more recent band like a Green Day just based on the demographics of pinball buyers.

#3 2 years ago

A lot of their music doesn't lend itself well to pinball. (Can you imagine playing to Riders on the Storm, for instance?) This is the same reason that Pink Floyd probably wouldn't be a great fit...although I'd love to see both.

#4 2 years ago

It wouldn’t sell as well as multiple other music titles. I like the band but their music isn’t really mainstream.

#5 2 years ago

Heck yeah, bring on "Miami Multiball"!

#6 2 years ago

What a terrible selection of options to choose from. I don't dislike the music but its not for a pinball machine. Nothing will be even remotely more difficult to design or sell cause of GnR. Same hype with every JJP game like its the second coming then it disappears into obscurity as it should. How about just a yes or no option. I can't pick one cause u added extras. Here's my thought. "No"
    I think u should get rid of the "music sucks ass" I like lots of different kinds of music but most of it would not translate well into a pin but that doesn't mean it sucks.

#7 2 years ago

There’s too many bands out there for them to make a pinball for everyone.

#8 2 years ago

It’s a natural instinct to desire a pin based on your favorite bands, but some just won’t work with pinball. Doors music is a good example of great stuff that also happens to be completely wrong for pinball as very few of their songs are musically compatible with integration into a pinball game (outside of “Roadhouse Blues” and “Hello I Love You”, I can’t think of any); the rhythms, song structures, and lyrical content just doesn’t work in most cases.

I’d rather have Spinal Tap.

#9 2 years ago

No bass. No thanks.
    I'd rather see beastie boys or Run the jewels or sabbath, sabbath would be amazing. Doors have their place but not for a pin, gotta have a bass line.
    B

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yesh23:

I'm curious if a "The Doors" pinball machine would sell? I think I'm pretty biased because I love the music but I'm always curious. I'd think the music would incorporate into modes very well, along with some killer art. I do realize there's other bands that would probably be ahead of "The Doors"--Queen, The Eagles and hell maybe even the Bee Gees. Thoughts???

I would like a Doors machine,but I know I'm in the minority with that choice.
    I was tempted to replace some of the music on my Metallica with a bunch of Doors songs.
    I would really enjoy playing to the Roadhouse blues and a few other songs. But in the end,it just didn't seem right.

#11 2 years ago

Maybe a Janis, Jimi and Jim pinball machine?

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZooDude:

No bass. No thanks.
    I'd rather see beastie boys or Run the jewels or sabbath, sabbath would be amazing. Doors have their place but not for a pin, gotta have a bass line.
    B

FYI the Doors did have a bassist on their records. Session guys. Even on the first one.

Yes Ray Manzarek would just play the basslines with his left hand and feet on the Rhodes in concert. But there’s bass on every single Doors record, most of the tunes were played on by the same guy

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/doors-bass-players/

But yeah put me in for Sabbath too!

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

"overdose multiball"
    None of them really work for pins.

Motorhead, now there's some good imagery and pinball music.

ed35a49a8f1ae65b87ac36482adb665f (resized).jpged35a49a8f1ae65b87ac36482adb665f (resized).jpg
    #14 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZooDude:

No bass. No thanks.
    B

Lol, you mean no bass GUITAR??

#15 2 years ago

Doors isn't peppy enough. Love the band, but I have no desire for crystal ship multiball.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

their music isn’t really mainstream.

52D08520-74C7-4526-BCC5-03FEF45E1F4D.gif52D08520-74C7-4526-BCC5-03FEF45E1F4D.gif
    #17 2 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Maybe a Woodstock pin.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

…[quoted image]

Been listening to the Doors since I was like 5 and agree they're not really mainstream. Never seemed to get nearly as much radio play as their contemporaries, and the "weird" kids at school listened to them.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Been listening to the Doors since I was like 5 and agree they're not really mainstream. Never seemed to get nearly as much radio play as their contemporaries, and the "weird" kids at school listened to them.

I will say that I recently bought the boxed set of all the remasters and listened to them front to back...only to realize that I really only like the hits and a few of the lesser known songs. Beyond that, they can get really weird and overindulgent and Jim's overuse of drugs really shows. I can still listen to Touch Me on end for hours, though.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

I’m willing to bet money that any person that would buy or play a pinball machine can name 5 Doors songs at minimum. If a classic rock band (specifically The Doors) with that kind of recognition isn’t a mainstream pop culture icon I need to really retrain myself what “mainstream” is.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Maybe a Woodstock pin.

Great idea!!

#22 2 years ago

I'm in on a Woodstock pin. I think it would be heavy...man.

#23 2 years ago

Peace Frog !

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I can still listen to Touch Me on end for hours, though.

Along with good by horses no doubt.

#25 2 years ago

Can we keep the Hippie crap out of pinball please. Woodstock? that stinks. Including the 90's one. Here ya go. Seems made for Pinball.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Can we keep the Hippie crap out of pinball please. Woodstock? that stinks. Including the 90's one. Here ya go. Seems made for Pinball.

Guess you weren’t there for those days, almost feel sorry for you.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

"overdose multiball"
    None of them really work for pins.
    Motorhead, now there's some good imagery and pinball music.
    [quoted image]

Motörhead? Actually…why not Motorhead if Rush (wtf ???) and Motley Crue (bwahaha) also get a mention. Enjoy.

#28 2 years ago

TZ says it best: "don't touch the door!"

No thanks , but I will gladly buy a proper music pin like Slayer or The Black Dahlia Murder

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jokerman:

Actually…why not Motorhead if Rush (wtf ???)

I don't understand that.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Guess you weren’t there for those days, almost feel sorry for you.

Please don't. Even if I was alive I wouldn't have gone to Woodstock. Well maybe to beat up Hippies. I would have been hating all the free love crap and the 60's love ur brother horseshit then one year later a band from Birmingham will release an album that would change my views on the whole thing. Except beating Hippies that would still happen.

Black_Sabbath_debut_album (resized).jpgBlack_Sabbath_debut_album (resized).jpg
    #31 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

then one year later a band from Birmingham will release an album that would change my views on the whole thing.
    [quoted image]

Yeah, baby! Electric Light Orchestra! I'm right there with you!!!

(PS - You would've been a hippie if you were a teen in the 60s. You're thinking like an adult in the 2020's, not a kid in the 60s.)

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I’m willing to bet money that any person that would buy or play a pinball machine can name 5 Doors songs at minimum. If a classic rock band (specifically The Doors) with that kind of recognition isn’t a mainstream pop culture icon I need to really retrain myself what “mainstream” is.

Uh. Light My Fire... The End.... the songs with a bunch of organ solos? I'm sorry, I'm struggling. I'd probably recognize more Doors tunes if I heard them though.

If we're going with an old band, I'd rather have the Beach Boys.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

(PS - You would've been a hippie if you were a teen in the 60s. You're thinking like an adult in the 2020's, not a kid in the 60s.)

Nope

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Lol, you mean no bass GUITAR??

Guitar!? What? No, the fish.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Same hype with every JJP game like its the second coming then it disappears into obscurity as it should.

Same hype with every new game that people get excited about, not just JJP.

They all eventually reach similar degrees of obscurity. Everybody creamed over Iron Maiden and JP like it was the second coming too. Not so much now. It's pretty common.

Why does it upset you so much if others like JJP games? It doesn't affect you in any way.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I would have been hating all the free love crap

Hazoff pays for his love like a real man.

#37 2 years ago

Because the Doors are the most pretentious, and one of the worst bands in the history of rock.

#38 2 years ago

A few things to unpack here because its funny when people say it won't lend itself to pinball. That is a joke right there. Look the Beatles music they picked doesn't lend itself to pinball but it was done anyway. Stern made Primus 99% of America has never even heard of that band. People talk about 'Rush' c'mon they're aren't even on the same planet as The Doors. When I try and find a comparable to The Doors I think of Aerosmith. Most of Aerosmith songs at least on the pinball aren't super popular, but more pop rockish. Most Aerosmith's songs didn't make the pinball I think the issue was money. Either way Aerosmith and The Door would be very similar just different decades.

The Doors have several classic rock songs that make a pinball very interesting let me list them.

Light My Fire
    Break on Thru
    LA Woman
    Not to Touch the Earth
    Touch Me
    Love me Two Times
    Hello I love You
    People are Strange
    Riders on the Storm (Imagine the light show)

When we look at Sterns typically they are about eight songs deep. The Doors have several other awesome songs but those all fit on a pinball machine just fine. Its a mix like Aerosmith so light rock and some harder stuff. At the end of the day I feel pinball works if their is a big enough fan base to buy the THEME. Judas Priest isn't a big enough fan base to make 3000 plus games... The Doors is one of the biggest fan bases in rock history.

There are very few rock bands left who we could argue deserve a pinball such as Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Queen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Nirvana, etc. You could make a case for bands like Korn, Def Leppard, and a few others but The Doors are are an eventual must. if we want to talk music pins why not go another direction all together... Beastie Boys - Madonna - Prince, MJ what about those artists?

With all that being said slamming The Doors c'mon... slam the idea of an Elvis Pinball but not the doors.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from blacklightprod:

With all that being said slamming The Doors c'mon... slam the idea of an Elvis Pinball but not the doors.

For the last time, don't slam the doors!!!!

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Uh. Light My Fire... The End.... the songs with a bunch of organ solos? I'm sorry, I'm struggling. I'd probably recognize more Doors tunes if I heard them though.
    If we're going with an old band, I'd rather have the Beach Boys.

Well I guess if you want the Pinball machine to be a juke box then just looking at songs with organ solos as face value will ruin all artistic and creative possibilities of a Doors song. Obviously their music would be the sound track but the mind that Jim Morrison had would allow so much room for creative outlet, kind of like if Primus was done right. (flame suit on for saying that)
    Just one example of modes with story lines considering Riders on the Storm, that song alone could probably be its own pin.
    I see a Doors pin being more of an early solid state feel like TNA instead of like what an arena band pin would be such as GNR.

#41 2 years ago

Q: Why is there no pinball themed for the Doors?
    A: John Densmore opposes it.

Try an online search like this: "John Densmore" Doors "music licensing". That should get you some relevant info.
    .................David Marston

#42 2 years ago

How about a music theme from this century instead of catering to a 60 or 70 year old demographic. ‍♂️

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballkyle:

How about a music theme from this century instead of catering to a 60 or 70 year old demographic. ‍♂️

Ooof call me old fashioned but
    I just really don’t want to drop dollars in a machine designed after Cardi B or Florida Georgia Line.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from bane:

Because the Doors are the most pretentious, and one of the worst bands in the history of rock.

So true. Doors were clearly the Duran Duran of that era. From the nonsense pretentious lyrics to the horrible vocals. Just a silly Animals knock off with a pretty boy singer who died young. Laughable.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

Q: Why is there no pinball themed for the Doors?
    A: John Densmore opposes it.
    Try an online search like this: "John Densmore" Doors "music licensing". That should get you some relevant info.
    .................David Marston

Great read…I didn’t realize that about Densmore but that pretty much closes the door (no pun intended)

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from Llabnip1972:

So true. Doors were clearly the Duran Duran of that era. From the nonsense pretentious lyrics to the horrible vocals. Just a silly Animals knock off with a pretty boy singer who died young. Laughable.

Wow, I have been a Doors fan for many years. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion I guess. My opinion is that yours sucks. I agree with most here though, that Jimbo and Co. wouldn't work for a pinball theme. Many other bands that would be a better fit.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from Llabnip1972:

Just a silly Animals knock off with a pretty boy singer who died young. Laughable.

the-big-lebowski-bowling.gifthe-big-lebowski-bowling.gif

#48 2 years ago

The Doors is #1 on my list if I ever re-theme an early SS.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZooDude:

Guitar!? What? No, the fish.

There's a lot of bass in the band. Just not guitar. Who gives a shit what makes it. Ray was one of the greats.

#50 2 years ago

I don’t know. I think The Doors have a bunch of great tunes including some heavy blues like Five to One, that would work great in a pin. If Stern re-themed, Dragonfist, Cheetah, Quicksilver or Star Gazer, I would be down!

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-no-the-doors-pinball-machine?hl=greenandwhite and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.