By ThatsaKicker

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hey all,

While I have limited knowledge of star rollovers, I really admire the aesthetics and enjoy playing a machine with them.

I think I've read somewhere that they can be a pain to replace/maintain but is there any other reason they faded away and are only seen on EM's?

Anyone else think that a more modern game would look good with some?

#2 10 years ago

They are also on early SS machines. I am guessing cost is a factor. It is cheaper to cut a slot in the wood for a wire switch than glue in an insert with a moving piece of plastic that gets gunked up with wax and dirt and then put a switch under that.

#3 10 years ago

I like them as well, and are not limited to EM's. seen them on many early Bally/Stern Solid States as well.

#4 10 years ago

Cool to hear them still used on early SS. Just assumed they died out with the coming of SS.

Yea price was probably a factor but it's a shame! Heck, could've even evolved into designs/shapes specificto the theme.

Anyone have names of non EM's with them? Would like a look see

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from ThatsaKicker:

Cool to hear them still used on early SS. Just assumed they died out with the coming of SS.
Yea price was probably a factor but it's a shame! Heck, could've even evolved into designs/shapes specificto the theme.

a lot of Gottlieb sys1 used them
Bally was still using them in Flash gordon

#6 10 years ago

How prolific were round rollovers like used later in World Cup 94?

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Zzap:

How prolific were round rollovers like used later in World Cup 94?

Not very. Jpop used them on a few of his games, and they're on WOZ, but that's about it.

#8 10 years ago

CV, WCS and WOZ all have rollovers.

I really liked the use of it on Flash gordon also with the upper PF drop target arrangement.

When did they transition from button style rollovers like Fireball to star style like Flash Gordon into the larger button style as mentioned above.

If they are working they work well. I imagine it might be a pain to adjust these if totally out of whack. Can not imagine it is any different than adjusting a cup or skirt on a pop bumper that is not sensative enough or too much so.

#9 10 years ago

Earlies... i.e. Strikes and Spares (lots of them), Eight Ball Deluxe (just one, but important )

#10 10 years ago

The star rollovers are so much smoother with ball movement. J Pop's rollovers are a reward and a hazard.

#11 10 years ago

WOZ has round rollovers? Didnt know that but then again I dont pay too much attention to newer pins.
And I've played a CV but must've been too starry eyed as it was at an expo.

#12 10 years ago

WOZ has round rollovers? Didnt know that but then again I dont pay too much attention to newer pins.

My recollection is that they're on the right outlane, and form the basis for a ball-save mini-game....

#13 10 years ago

There's 2 star rollovers on High Speed!

#14 10 years ago

Love the star rollovers on my 80's pins. On repro, clear coated PF's, they can be a pain to make smooth. Nevertheless, they are worth the effort IMO.

#15 10 years ago

And I've played a CV but must've been too starry eyed as it was at an expo.

Quoted from tamoore:

My recollection is that they're on the right outlane, and form the basis for a ball-save mini-game....

And the 3 most important ones are scattered on the mid-playfield; they each represent a character and you have to register each of them enough times to light the 3 locks.

Lots of EMs also had the round orange rollovers. Not sure about any SS games. The star rollovers are smoother. I don't think cost is a factor so much as maintenance/reliability. They can get gunked up and are really hard to clean.

#16 10 years ago

An excellent use of these is on Star Light (I think 1984). Similar to how they were placed on Strikes and Spares.

#17 10 years ago

Paragon has them...

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

There's 2 star rollovers on High Speed!

This is the newest example off the top of my head. One in each orbit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 129.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-no-star-rollovers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.