Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by swampwiz
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ab069d865929374f18693eb01ef5fb94340fd7c8 (resized).jpg
    76CB7145-2362-4DE8-8203-324932631693 (resized).jpeg
    11E0B69D-6CE5-4257-ACD3-C3648CEC5392_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_forum_6149245_2319718 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_6149245_2319719 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_5688159_2016915 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_6137087_2311562 (resized).jpg
    7EA90AE1-0878-4EBE-B848-0C37009ADBDA (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

I know there is a long thread from a few years back about new aprons but it didn't really seem to give an answer as to why it never happened. I know there are decals out these and those work in the absence of anything else. With all of the highend restorations and people willing to drop money on games how come there really isn't anybody out there that makes properly screen reproduction aprons? I would think these would sell. Is it production cost? License issues (non-original theme)? I know some of the 90s games had decals originally like IJ but I am talking about games like TZ, TAF, etc.

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

I know there is a long thread from a few years back about new aprons but it didn't really seem to give an answer as to why it never happened. I know there are decals out these and those work in the absence of anything else. With all of the highend restorations and people willing to drop money on games how come there really isn't anybody out there that makes properly screen reproduction aprons? I would think these would sell. Is it production cost? License issues (non-original theme)? I know some of the 90s games had decals originally like IJ but I am talking about games like TZ, TAF, etc.

From the couple people that have tried/done it, their number one complaint was production cost. Between having the apron made, to the painting or powder coating, to the art application(whether decals, screen printing[which is difficult on aprons], dry rub transfer, or even direct printing), they've all said that there's pretty much zero profit in it unless you're doing hundreds of them. With that said, though, the guys who were going to do the TAF apron had well over 100 pledges to buy a new apron from them, but life things happened that complicated production and it pretty much got abandoned, sadly.

#3 1 year ago

Operator did you really need to install your decal directly on top of the screen printed apron art? It’s nearly impossible to remove them without damage. Does anyone have a Creature apron that they would like to sell?

7EA90AE1-0878-4EBE-B848-0C37009ADBDA (resized).jpeg7EA90AE1-0878-4EBE-B848-0C37009ADBDA (resized).jpeg
    #4 1 year ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Operator did you really need to install your decal directly on top of the screen printed apron art? It’s nearly impossible to remove them without damage. Does anyone have a Creature apron that they would like to sell?
    [quoted image]

You'd think Todd would know better.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

toddtuckey we demand an explanation!!!

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

From the couple people that have tried/done it, their number one complaint was production cost. Between having the apron made, to the painting or powder coating, to the art application(whether decals, screen printing[which is difficult on aprons], dry rub transfer, or even direct printing), they've all said that there's pretty much zero profit in it unless you're doing hundreds of them. With that said, though, the guys who were going to do the TAF apron had well over 100 pledges to buy a new apron from them, but life things happened that complicated production and it pretty much got abandoned, sadly.

Thats too bad, I had a feeling the cost would have been a major factor in reasoning. Its a shame because a lot of these get beat up and when you are doing a resto it would be nice to have a new one but if its cost prohibitive that makes a lot of sense too.

#7 1 year ago

We've got $2000 toppers so why not $500 aprons!

I saw some of Brian's results with UV printed aprons, looked good but very pricey I suppose.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

We've got $2000 toppers so why not $500 aprons!
    I saw some of Brian's results with UV printed aprons, looked good but very pricey I suppose.

For a grail game that I know will never leave my house like a TAF I would would drop the $500 but totally understand why some wouldn’t and why lesser titles wouldn’t make financial sense. At that point you can probably have an artist hand paint one for a similar price. I just personally hate the decals unless that is the way they were supposed to come from the factory like IJ

#9 1 year ago

[quoted image]

The best way I have found to remove old op decals from the apron without removing paint or damaging the art is to soak with WD-40. It absorbs into the decal and slowly causes the adhesive to give way. If you apply heat it makes this process quicker but most of the time I just have a little patience. As it softens I use either my finger nail or a plastic razor blade/putty knife and lightly mar the back of the decal. Eventually it just falls apart and your left with the adhesive which you then scrap off, adding more WD-40 as you go. Keep it wet.

#10 1 year ago

I was able to scan, trace, produce stencils and airbrush my BSD apron. Turned out pretty well --

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silhouette-cameo-pinball-restorers-club/page/8#post-5382809

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

He puts his sticker where a person is most likely to see it and where it will last the longest. Every used car dealer puts there sticker/badge on the back of the vehicle they sell. No difference. Good investment for the money based on the exposure.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

I was able to scan, trace, produce stencils and airbrush my BSD apron. Turned out pretty well --
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/silhouette-cameo-pinball-restorers-club/page/8#post-5382809

Damn thats some pretty nice work right there, wish I had that level of talent.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Blake:

He puts his sticker where a person is most likely to see it and where it will last the longest. Every used car dealer puts there sticker/badge on the back of the vehicle they sell. No difference. Good investment for the money based on the exposure.

Is this true today? I notice the sticker looks old school in its style and lack of website. Thought maybe this is just a reminder of a period of time where Pinball was less collectable and more operator focused.

#14 1 year ago

There were some aprons done with cut vinyl which looked good -- so long as you can find the right colours.

#15 1 year ago

[quoted image]

Try low concentration isopropyl alcohol.like 70%.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from Polypin:

Is this true today? I notice the sticker looks old school in its style and lack of website. Thought maybe this is just a reminder of a period of time where Pinball was less collectable and more operator focused.

He still installs a sticker on every apron, generally in a corner.

#17 1 year ago

WD-40 method

First pic: If you look close and zoom up you can see this had a round sticker dead center of the apron. Can't find my close up pic of before and after.

Second pic: This apron just had hardened adhesive leftover when I got the machine. Physical damage already done.

Pinside_forum_5688159_2016915 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_5688159_2016915 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_6137087_2311562 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_6137087_2311562 (resized).jpg
    #18 1 year ago

If anyone has CAD files for an apron would be interesting to see how much an online service quotes for it, like

https://www.xometry.com/capabilities/sheet-metal-fabrication

They do powder coating too.

There are some Fusion360 models out there, if anyone can convert one to a compatible format and get a quote would be interesting.

#19 1 year ago

Any of you have suggestions how to touch up one that has a small dot sized area of rust about the size of a dime. It’s in a hidden spot but want to prevent any further corrosion. Can I just hit it with clear or should I sand the rust off and then hit it with black spray paint

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

Any of you have suggestions how to touch up one that has a small dot sized area of rust about the size of a dime. It’s in a hidden spot but want to prevent any further corrosion. Can I just hit it with clear or should I sand the rust off and then hit it with black spray paint

You need to remove the rust down to base metal. Then prime/paint/clear. Clearing is optional but provides longer protection. The paint itself will keep any new rust from forming if you remove whats there.

Examples in pics below.

Pinside_forum_6149245_2319718 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_6149245_2319718 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_6149245_2319719 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_6149245_2319719 (resized).jpg
    #21 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Ha...no I wouldn't think that.

#22 1 year ago

My thoughts.

Matt and Dave were the ones who did these originally. They lived in the same town when they started this a few years ago. Dave moved out of state and Matt now owns at least two dental offices. This is no longer a priority for either of them. I'm not sure they were making enough on each apron to make it worth the effort anyway.

Matt and Dave were able to source a company that would not only make the aprons but powder them and silk screen them. Sounds pretty sweet but they had to be done in quantities (not sure how many). Dave stopped at my place one day and he had a huge box (4'x4'x4' maybe) in the back of his pickup and another two of them on a trailer. They were full. This isn't like having 200 stickers or decals made. I can only imagine the pain in having a space to store these and the packaging and shipping. Matt also told me at one point, the woman doing the screening threatened to quit if she had to do anymore. They were that much of a pain to do.

The pic shown is one that got done for a local guy (Brian) I did a restoration for. He actually has artists that scanned and redid the artwork. He also has a printer that can print it. I had a body shop friend strip and paint it. It then got printed. It then got cleared.

Way too expensive of a process. and this is if people sent us their original.

We came to the conclusion, the only way to do this, keeping the cost down and making some kind of profit, would be to find a manufacturer that could do all of this....manufacture, powder, print and clear. Brian knows of companies that could do this. He's huge into arcade reproductions. I thought he was going to move forward with this but he has not. The fact that he's a surgeon might have something to do with it. Just no time.

So I say to anyone who thinks this is something that's relatively easy to do and there's all kinds of money to be made....knock yourself out!

11E0B69D-6CE5-4257-ACD3-C3648CEC5392_1_105_c (resized).jpeg11E0B69D-6CE5-4257-ACD3-C3648CEC5392_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
    #23 1 year ago

Aprons are one of the top reasons I’m investing in a sand blasting cabinet (I used to take stuff to a local shop, but they went under, so I had to take the plunge.)
    You really need to get them down to bare metal and build back up.

dr_nybble has done wonderful work with stenciling, proof it can be done with tools I have in house, and I’m really looking forward to trying my hand at this process.
    It’s by far the best method I know of for reproducing the artwork on most aprons - but it’s also labor intensive and extremely fussy. Have to get it right every step or you’re starting over.

Another method that can work acceptably is use of waterslide decals and a clear topcoat. I used them on a Bally Kiss>Geiger Miss World conversion a while back, and it really did work well.
    This won’t be as useful on aprons with long “pinstriping” lines, but for self-contained chunks of graphic, this is a decent workaround.
    76CB7145-2362-4DE8-8203-324932631693 (resized).jpeg76CB7145-2362-4DE8-8203-324932631693 (resized).jpeg

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha...no I wouldn't think that.

I'm amazed that people still think Todd is an idiot. The guy has been in coin op nearly his whole life. If he cuts corners its to save time and money. Not because he doesn't know any better.

The quote "Forgot more then you'll ever know", is very fitting for Mr. Tuckey when compared to most in the business, industry, hobby.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from Blake:

... If he cuts corners its to save time and money. Not because he doesn't know any better..

Agree with that

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from Blake:

I'm amazed that people still think Todd is an idiot. The guy has been in coin op nearly his whole life. If he cuts corners its to save time and money. Not because he doesn't know any better.
    The quote "Forgot more then you'll ever know", is very fitting for Mr. Tuckey when compared to most in the business, industry, hobby.

I guess I would have to imagine what context you’re talking about. Meaning if I want somebody restoring my game as a hobbies I am not sure if I want the cut corners to save a buck and time kind of guy. Now in the coin op side of things that’s a whole different story.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

I guess I would have to imagine what context you’re talking about. Meaning if I want somebody restoring my game as a hobbies I am not sure if I want the cut corners to save a buck and time kind of guy. Now in the coin op side of things that’s a whole different story.

The message is Todd Tuckey is not an idiot. If he wanted to restore a vid/pin/juke/exc. to mint he has the resources and knowledge to do so. If he needs to fix something quickly and on the cheap he can do that too. If a customer wants A but not B, he is capable. Todd's peers know this. Even if pinside and klov don't.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from Blake:

The message is Todd Tuckey is not an idiot. If he wanted to restore a vid/pin/juke/exc. to mint he has the resources and knowledge to do so. If he needs to fix something quickly and on the cheap he can do that too. If a customer wants A but not B, he is capable. Todd's peers know this. Even if pinside and klov don't.

Makes sense, yeah I think I have seen some of his work on youtube before

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from Blake:

The best way I have found to remove old op decals from the apron without removing paint or damaging the art is to soak with WD-40. It absorbs into the decal and slowly causes the adhesive to give way. If you apply heat it makes this process quicker but most of the time I just have a little patience. As it softens I use either my finger nail or a plastic razor blade/putty knife and lightly mar the back of the decal. Eventually it just falls apart and your left with the adhesive which you then scrap off, adding more WD-40 as you go. Keep it wet.

I tried that method on a BSD apron many years ago. It worked pretty well. I went real slow and soaked it thru but it still faded the silk screened art by about 15%. Fortunately I found a replacement on eBay for $35 but that was many years ago before eBay went to shit. I have also tried the alcohol method and got the same result. The decal comes off but the silk screen art Is slightly faded .
    Thank you for the tips everyone.
    In defense of TNT other operators in the area did the same thing in the mid-late 1990’s. I always likened it to pimps who have their ladies get their name tattooed on them so everyone knows who they work for. Pinball Pimps!

#30 1 year ago

The two methods that would I think work best for art reproduction are waterslide decals and/or dry transfer decals.

The waterslide decals can be tough because you really need a white base to reproduce all the colors correctly. Whether that means you can print the white base using white ink(which is VERY rare), or you print on a white decal sheet, which when cut out, can result in the white cut edges showing. Color matching can be tough with these because the factory typically used standardized Pantone Spot colors and most home model printers can't hit these colors with 100% accuracy.

The dry transfer decals work extremely well and look damn good. They can also be made by companies that use those Pantone Spot colors and can hit them perfectly. But, they're a one and done kind of thing. You only get one shot to place them once you start rubbing them into place. You really have to be sure of your location. This can be worked with and there can be ways developed to make sure you place them just right. Plus, they can be really expensive. You'd have to get a very large sheet and cram as many sets on there as possible to bring down your per game cost.

But before you even get to that part, the reproduction of the artwork can be very time consuming to do it the proper way. Depending on complexity, it could be anywhere from 10-40 hours worth of work just to get it dead on AND in a state that is print-ready.

You can see how the cost really starts to add up with doing these. PPS most likely has the artwork and the original screens to most, if not all, the big B/w titles we'd all want/need. If there's anybody who can start doing these with some of the harder steps already taken care of, it'd be them. But again, they're probably not interested in doing quantities less than 500 or so for each title, and that's not likely to happen, even with TAF.

#31 1 year ago

If there was good availability of rub on transfers I think that would satisfy a lot of restoration needs.

A rub-on transfer is basically a screen print with adhesive.

I used rub-on transfer to restore a Williams wood-rail shooter gauge. On the nickel plate a decal just wouldn't work.

ab069d865929374f18693eb01ef5fb94340fd7c8 (resized).jpgab069d865929374f18693eb01ef5fb94340fd7c8 (resized).jpg

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

If there was good availability of rub on transfers I think that would satisfy a lot of restoration needs.
    I used rub-on transfer to restore a Williams wood-rail shooter gauge. On the nickel plate a decal just wouldn't work.
    [quoted image]

Sorry my bad. Planetary Pinball has some now but PinRescue was the other company that had a bunch for many titles that went out of business recently.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from Blake:

Planetary Pinball was the go to for many titles. They unfortunately went out of business recently.

I think you mean Pinball Rescue from Australia, which closed up shop a while back. The did have quite a few restoration decals.
    Planetary is still in business.

Edit: Ha, you were editing while I was typing.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I think you mean Pinball Rescue from Australia, which closed up shop a while back. The did have quite a few restoration decals.
    Planetary is still in business.

Yes thats correct I changed the original post.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

[quoted image]

Did you clear over it once applied?

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Did you clear over it once applied?

Nope. Can't see anything that would go wrong with it in the next 50 years other than wiping dust off it once in a while.

It's living a pleasant life now in the comfort of a home environment!

I did try a PinRescue decal for this purpose but it didn't look good on the reflective surface.

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Nope. Can't see anything that would go wrong with it in the next 50 years other than wiping dust off it once in a while.

I thought the transfer would be pretty delicate and scratch easily.

#38 1 year ago

[quoted image]

That is a sticker we used up until 1999. (because its red lettering), we started with just black lettering. Our last stickers have red lettering with yellow insert. We now only use a small square foil sticker with the year we shopped the game and its easy to remove.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Well, we used stickers like this from 1988 through 2013 when we stopped and just have a small easy to remove foil sticker. Remember, this was before people treated these games as they had the Hope Diamond in their home. It was a way to insure us to do the repairs rather than some bonehead dimwit who "fixes games on the side". They would at least call us...as that bonehead would get inside a game and bend stuff and blow stuff out.
    I have PLENTY of horror stories about hacks since I started 44 years ago in the actual business of selling the games, and not "on the side" after I got home from my "regular" job! Also, I started using plug in Lithium batteries in 1999 on every game we sold (except brand new games, voiding the warranty) and saved hundreds and hundreds of games from battery damage all these years later because of it. I got screamed at by "nutties" for "altering" the original parts on the logic board and not replacing it with a new AA battery holder and AA batteries that would always leak! Now, we use Frank's wonderful battery board with the extra blocking diode with a standard 2032 battery...we have sold hundreds of these boards, saving hundreds of games for the future enjoyment by others! Todd

#40 1 year ago

Todd for PRESIDENT ! ! !

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

Remember, this was before people treated these games as they had the Hope Diamond in their home.

#42 1 year ago

I saw a post the other day on the Strictly Custom Pins Facebook group, where a guy had a apron made with the site Send Cut Send.

#43 1 year ago

I think you need a die and a hydraulic press to make the indents for the score and pricing cards.

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

I think you need a die and a hydraulic press to make the indents for the score and pricing cards.

If YouTube is to be believed you could get away with 3d printed dies and a manual press from Harbor Freight for a small run.

#45 1 year ago

I've created reproduction aprons for IJ

Quoted from dr_nybble:

If anyone has CAD files for an apron would be interesting to see how much an online service quotes for it, like
    https://www.xometry.com/capabilities/sheet-metal-fabrication
    They do powder coating too.
    There are some Fusion360 models out there, if anyone can convert one to a compatible format and get a quote would be interesting.

I've made CAD based reproduction aprons for IJ. Online fabricators like Xometry can do the bends for something like IJ but not aprons that have indents for the cards. Finishing is the big issue in my book. I've not been happy with my own attempts at painting, or the quality of powdercoating from places like SendCutSend.

#46 1 year ago

In thinking how these things were made originally, I'm curious if they were all stamped. Or at least multi-process stamped, like, they stamped the tops with the punches and dies for the apron card recesses and holes, then a second stamping die came down and folded all the sides over.

I wonder if PPS has those dies or at least, the drawings/specs for those dies.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from Blake:

The first thing I have always done when buying a new car is to remove the dealer advertising. There is no excuse for this being done to a pin sold to a collector (to an operator is totally different).

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

I use Noxon.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-no-reproduction-aprons- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.