Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by RGR
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bigbuck.jpg
    bbh3.jpg
    bbh2.jpg
    bbh1.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

I dont remember seeing one since t3.

#2 10 years ago

It was that or the condo Gary wanted in Maui.

#3 10 years ago

Thank god for the condo

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

It was that or the condo Gary wanted in Maui.

^^ http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-become-a-better-pinsider

@OP, many DE games had kickers, but yeah, they kind of fizzled out. Stern seems to favor strong slingshots, flippers, and pop bumpers that shoot the ball everywhere as the player madly tries to control it. It also keeps the ball times short, which helps operators.

#5 10 years ago

I learn to love games for what they are, but outlane kickers seem are something that beginners enjoy. We had a T2 in our arcade for awhile and every time the ball was shot back the kid's playing it would go "whoa".

#6 10 years ago

Big Buck Hunter had one...

Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

I dont remember seeing one since t3.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

In the outlane?

I would like a manual kickback like Defender had. It has an extra button below the left flipper button. I can't remember what you had to do to light the kickback...or if you just got 1 per ball, but it's just like a regular kickback except you have to manually activate it. I don't know if any other games had that or not.

The only thing that feels better than successfully saving the ball with the kickback is when you have a ball drain between the flippers and roll over to the left side and you bring it back with the manual kickback.

Bring back that feature...I liked that.

#8 10 years ago

Well, it's on WOZ, sort of.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from smokey_789:

Well, it's on WOZ, sort of.

Bumper kick out...that will take some skills.

#10 10 years ago

I love the Kickback that STTNG has. Always a good feeling when you are saved by it. TOM and TOTAN had great outlane savers. Would love to see some creative ideas like this put back into machines.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I just played that at PHOF and don't remember seeing it. According to pinside there is no kickback on it.

#12 10 years ago

As I said in another thread I always asumed Stern put their foot down and outlawed it (probably paranoia). SR is a kickback monster and hasn't had one in years other that T3 which is a remake...hmm...maybe Star Trek will have one?

Why not have them...you're not selling for location games anymore.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

I just played that at PHOF and don't remember seeing it. According to pinside there is no kickback on it.

That's odd, it is clearly visible in the Stern promo video on their website for BBH. I wonder if they removed it to cut costs.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

That's odd, it is clearly visible in the Stern promo video on their website for BBH. I wonder if they removed it to cut costs.

Naw...they would never do something like that.

#15 10 years ago

I love kickbacks as well. JM has a ball save for the left lane that launches a new ball if its lit and you drain. Its just not as satisfying as the kickback on my SOF was.

#16 10 years ago

TSPP kickback was cost cut too.

BBH design was a cost cut. pics of original design.

bbh1.jpgbbh1.jpg bbh2.jpgbbh2.jpg bbh3.jpgbbh3.jpg

#17 10 years ago

It would have been nice to have one on TRON...as fast as that ball drains! Would be nice to have a save every once in awhile...

#18 10 years ago

Maybe it is to lessen ball times and increase payout for operators. Since they are paying more per pin to operate now. It becomes even harder without the right area and location.

#19 10 years ago

I like the outlane ball drain save in IJ a lot, really fits the theme, but would work on other themes as well.

#20 10 years ago

TSPP kickback was cost cut too.

BBH design was a cost cut. pics of original design.

That doesn't have a kickback on it, does it? I don't know if that really looks they redesigned to cut cost much. I see it has an upper flipper, but no buck track or pivoting elk (from what I can see).

I also looked at the promo video and see what could look to be a kickback in the apron...but looking at the outlane...I don't think it was. Wouldn't the left side of the left outlane have to have a smooth ball guide for a kickback to work. In the video it just has posts there.

I also noticed my X-Men LE apron also looks like that (with a bit of a gap on the left side).

I hadn't really thought about the kickback being retired for awhile. Stern is bringing back the in line targets for Metallica so maybe Star Trek will get some retro love with a kickback.

bigbuck.jpgbigbuck.jpg

#21 10 years ago

Money.

The extra cost of implementing such a device is too much in relation to what you can apply to the main playfield.

However, I wonder why parcial/all timed/permanent ball saver is seen on so few pinball machines. Parcial meaning one outlane, both outlanes, all drain sources etc. Indiana Jones The Pinball Adventure is one that comes to mind. It has ball saver implemented into the rules on a least two accounts.

I'd like to see much more of that. Timed ball saver awards which you statigicly can use for making dangerous shots.

#22 10 years ago

Kick backs rule! Future Spa even had one!

#23 10 years ago

Perhaps it is an unfair advantage to the player, it lengthens the game for novices thus lowering overall game income for the operator.
    Less quarters in the cashbox equals less new money the operator will put back into pinballs.

#24 10 years ago

I was originally thinking a "throw it back" kickback on Fish Tales would have been great, but short ball times is one of the best things about the game. There is just something brutally beautiful about difficult games.

#25 10 years ago

Yeah another tight arse maneuver by Stern. No replay knockers, no kickback... Ahhh what next...

#26 10 years ago

Nothing beats the kickback off the soccer ball into the goal for a Bicycle Kick award on WCS!

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

I'd like to see much more of that. Timed ball saver awards which you statigicly can use for making dangerous shots.

I like this idea.

Im especially thinking of ACDC- where it doesn't only punish you for missing a critical shot- you can be punished for MAKING a critical shot

Example: something like a 2-second ball saver whenever you shoot the canon and HIT your target would make sense...

1 week later
    #28 10 years ago

Well I guess they are coming back due to jjp.

#29 10 years ago

Kickback was removed on Scared Stiff as well. The cut out is still there so I heard you can actually put one there.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Kickback was removed on Scared Stiff as well. The cut out is still there so I heard you can actually put one there.

Likely due to the ramps being so low in the PF.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-no-more-kickers-on-outlanes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.