Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by wayner
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I know that they instruction card tells you the basics, but why doesn't a NIB game come with a detailed rulesheet with the ins and outs of a games ruleset? Seems like a no brainer to me and very easy for a pinball company to do.

#2 8 years ago

Would be nice, but since they don't tend to ship completed games, at what point do you write the rule set? When a new rev of code comes out, would they actually go in and edit the rule set to bring it up to the current standard?

Frankly, I find the rule cards pretty lacking too. "Shoot bicycle girl ramp when lit to score big points." Great, thanks...

#3 8 years ago

For NIB tables, just write "To Be Determined" on a 3x5 card.

Why they don't release them once the rulesets are complete is another question.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Would be nice, but since they don't tend to ship completed games, at what point do you write the rule set? When a new rev of code comes out, would they actually go in and edit the rule set to bring it up to the current standard?

This is absolutely what they would do. Takes no time at all. I mean they have to notify you of what the code update has in it anyway. Just have someone edit the running rulesheet on their website or something with an "as of" date on it.

#5 8 years ago

Or they could just have a link to the rulesheet, then within the rulsheet it would have different links for the code your game is running, and bring up the rulesheet for that code version. This would be helpful for location players too that cannot play on the most up to date code sometimes.

#6 8 years ago

A simple read me file along with each code release would do wonders.

#7 8 years ago

I thought they did - the pricing and rule cards on the apron??

#8 8 years ago

Those are not all inclusive. Just a basic guideline.

#9 8 years ago

I think part of it is personnel issues - who does this and keeps it up date?

The other part I think is the fun factor of discovering things for yourself. Player created rulesheets pop up, and I think that's more exciting.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Robotoes:

I think part of it is personnel issues - who does this and keeps it up date?
    The other part I think is the fun factor of discovering things for yourself. Player created rulesheets pop up, and I think that's more exciting.

I think the strategies that we come up with is the exciting part. I agree that I don't want any of the experience to be spoiled for me, but just want a detail of all the features of the game and where the features are located and what not. Also, these games are getting pretty complex so even after playing them a bunch sometimes it's not very clear to everyone what is going on with certainty. Plus it's just nice to have that info sitting around for anyone that plays your games to reference.

#11 8 years ago

All the posters for pins have all the rules/shots on the back of the flyer.............Joey

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think the strategies that we come up with is the exciting part. I agree that I don't want any of the experience to be spoiled for me, but just want a detail of all the features of the game and where the features are located and what not. Also, these games are getting pretty complex so even after playing them a bunch sometimes it's not very clear to everyone what is going on with certainty. Plus it's just nice to have that info sitting around for anyone that plays your games to reference.

Yaa...some I can pick up...(ST,IM,MET,WWE,TWD)...some I've been playing just as long as the others and still don't know what's going on (rule wise)(NASCAR,WOZ,TSPP,007)..........Joey

#13 8 years ago

Figuring out the rules is part of the fun for me.

#14 8 years ago

Sega and DE manuals do a pretty good job of explaining shots and modes.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Sega and DE manuals do a pretty good job of explaining shots and modes.

Yep, it used to be the norm back in the day to have a decent rules write up and shot map in the manuals. Capcom, Alvin G, and Williams also did a pretty good job of this on most games.

#16 8 years ago

For same reason we no longer get decent manuals with Stern's games: money. You've got to pay someone to write the rulesheet. I'm not stating that simply to bash on Stern. They've obviously rearranged their priorities.

Another reason I think they dropped it is because the Internet makes it much easier to share and find the info, so the manufacturer no longer has to put forth all the effort.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

For same reason we no longer get decent manuals with Stern's games: money. You've got to pay someone to write the rulesheet. I'm not stating that simply to bash on Stern. They've obviously rearranged their priorities.
    Another reason I think they dropped it is because the Internet makes it much easier to share and find the info, so the manufacturer no longer has to put forth all the effort.

I guess you're right. Well if that is why they stopped doing it, and why they currently do not do that, I wish they would start doing it. I would really love to see rule sheets authored by the person who wrote the code to see how they interpret or intended the game to be played. I think that would be really cool.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from AlbanyTim:

Figuring out the rules is part of the fun for me.

But it wouldn't hurt to have rulesheet info included with the materials of a NIB for the people that find value in it.

#19 8 years ago

Terrific point & it has always puzzled me why this info was not provided. In diagnosing issues it is just so important to know what the machine is meant to do!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-no-manufacturer-issued-rulesheets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.