• 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sadsack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#98 9 years ago

The classic problem you have with an unlicensed theme is that most buyers need to be told it is "great" so they start to think it is great. This is the classic "artistic appreciation" weakness of human sociology/psychology. Now throw a 25% price kick on top and critical mass becomes impossible.

If wooly was my project, I would de everything I could to chop cost and innovate production techniques to build my own machines at my own pace. By getting rid of the pre-pay model altogether there could be a chance for incubating the fan base.

Let's face the truth: the market for this product ranges between 2 diametrically opposed types of character. The hardened operator who couldn't care less about anything other than ROI and the fickle collector that generally needs to be shown the herd so they know which direction to run toward the front. This is a gross over-simplification, but a startup needs to generally cater to one or the other to gin up the demand strong enough to make the game commercially viable.

A project like this will always have problems reaching critical mass because it doesn't have an established herd mentality like the licensed theme or the artist/designer fandom ala JPOP. Missing both those elements, price will become the driving factor..... unless you can get several machines in the wild and the quality of design and build organizes a herd stampede.

It's a tough row to hoe, but take a look how many non-licensed themes are in the top 100. It's doable, but it really takes a complete package (which wooly may well be) and a thrust into the marketplace (which wooly may be incapable of). I played this game on my simulator early on and besides the boobies on the early simulation, I thought it was a winner. It will require some big innovation in the market-entry department to flourish.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sadsack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-no-love-for-wooly?tu=sadsack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.