• 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpledrilmonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from FatAussieBogan:

I'm staggered people are saying 8k is pricey. Isn't that just where we are now? On par with TBL and a stern Le? Don't think its an accurate comparison to be citing stern pros.

I disagree with this attitude intensely. Customers should NOT be content to be railroaded into spending $8k just because that's "normal" now. Competition needs to work harder on bringing down prices while delivering a 'traditional' pinball experience (Spooky) or focus on delivering something wildly innovative that can justify a premium pricetag (multimorphic P3).

Just my 2 cents.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

If this was a healthy industry, sure. The fact is, until recently there was no competition. I'm sure that's because people didn't think they could make any money at it / no market. With the bar being raised for "normal", more people can make the calculus work to try to make a game come together, and put food on their table (OMG profits are evil! ). I think we're a long ways away in this cycle before competition = lower prices... and when it does, expect there to just be Stern again (or zero manufacturers).
I guess my point is, you can't have the amount of pinball manufacturers (or aspiring manufacturers) there are today, at Stern Pro price point. And only one has done it at the Stern Premium price point (AMH); and that was unlicensed.

I'm all for people making profits, and I actually have no problem with $8k machines in general as clearly the market can support them in some capacity. What I completely disagree with is the argument that "$8k is fair for WOOLY since that's what Stern/JJP/DP charge for their machines now".

IMO the price of a machine is fair when a customer decides it is, not when it's priced identically to a successful competitor. At $5-6k I (and many others) would have considered WOOLY; at $8k I didn't even consider it.

If they can't make profit at $5-6k and 100-200 machines, and they can't get enough buyers at $8k, then they don't make WOOLY. Tough, but simple

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

I was specifically responding to the post that an LCD was a $1500 improvement. You threw in an LCD, new toys, and a different art package in your analogy. (Which I agree, is the standard LE upsell).
Upgrades in *every* industry are all about perceived value. They make more money off people who pay extra for them.

I would say the LCD easily adds the $1500 (or whatever random number we're cooking up for the argument) in COST in materials and time to develop colorizing, animation, etc... especially on a small run machine.

Quoted from ryanwanger:

I've played WOZ dozens of times and the only time I can bother to look up at the LCD is during the ball lock animation.

And I agree with your assessment of the lack of $1500 VALUE the LCD brings.

Honestly, if I could shave $1500 off the cost of WoZ or TH and remove the LCD in favor of a simple DMD, I would be much more compelled to pull the trigger on those machines (or would have pre-CDN dollar bed-crapping )

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

It seems fairly certain that no boutique builder can.

*shrug* so be it. Without knowing what true build costs are it impossible to know if it's manufacturing cost or profitability level that are the issue.

For the record I do have an opinion on WOOLY cost/pricing based on conversations I had with Riot folks at Expo 2013. I won't discuss any specifics as it's not my place and I'm sure things have changed somewhat, so all I will say is: based on my knowledge, imo I believe it's priced too high.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Theme is meh, but looking past that, timing with preorder burnout is causing startups to face little preordering.
I was a huge preorder guy, PRED is my last one. Ever. Sorry startups, it's over with this buyer.
Done with huge info update gaps, and the ceaseless waiting, waiting, waiting. ( I'm not sitting by the phone, just tying my money and space up is all).

Also a great point of major note and it ties right in with the price.

I think in late 2013-early 2014 you could have MAYBE pulled off the $8k WOOLY price point with 100 pre-orders.

I think with JPop, SkitB, DP, and even JJP somewhat at times, it's now too late for any of that high-priced preorder stuff to work well anymore

#79 9 years ago

Why quote the top and leave out the bottom part fella? Seems like a very disingenuous move on your part bloke. Quote me in my entirety on don't call me Shirley at all.

Saves space and time for folks reading, and it was the topic sentence from your post to which I desired to respond to. Pretty standard forum etiquette as I certainly didn't change the context of your statement, nor did I reword anything on your part. Your second paragraph about Spooky buying into Riot or whatever has nothing to do with your $8k comment nor my response to it, so I excluded it from my post as I have no opinion or thought on it.

But since you're a bit grumpy about it:

I'm staggered people are saying 8k is pricey. Isn't that just where we are now? On par with TBL and a stern Le? Don't think its an accurate comparison to be citing stern pros.
Spooky 6k is pretty impressive and I be.ieve the best way for wooly to eventuate is for them to buy out/into riot. Alternatively pre sell to 5-10 distributors if that's at all possible.

I disagree with this attitude intensely. Customers should NOT be content to be railroaded into spending $8k just because that's "normal" now. Competition needs to work harder on bringing down prices while delivering a 'traditional' pinball experience (Spooky) or focus on delivering something wildly innovative that can justify a premium pricetag (multimorphic P3).

Just my 2 cents.

...happier now?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpledrilmonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-no-love-for-wooly?tu=purpledrilmonkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.