• 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 9 years ago

Bottom line, whatever you think of the game, is it's just too expensive for most people. Is what it is, but if it was cheaper you'd see a lot more interest.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Can't be price only. Or you would not see a single Hobbit sold. Or MMr. Or TBL. Or Magic Girl. Or RAZA.
Allergy to the preorder model, Non licensed theme and DMD are additional reasons. Limited exposure to the game is another.
Was - and is still - proud to be among the 50 nonetheless.

Sure, it's not price alone. But you have to look at what you're getting for the price. Original theme is super cool, love that. But it doesn't have the nostalgia kick for people, it's harder to move an original theme, like it or not.

Plain DMD is another. MMr has an LCD (supposedly full color someday, we'll see). TBL, full color widescreen LCD. Hobbit, huge LCD, lots of quality animation. They're expensive, but you're getting more for your money.

The sounds are a big mystery. MMr obviously isn't. TBL has movie clips, but also 24 (or is it 26, I forget) licensed songs. Hobbit has Thiel on the music and movie clips.

Etc. (I'm leaving Jpop's vaporware out of this.)

If you're going to try and charge $8k for your game you've got to compete at the level of other games in that price range IMHO. Being an original theme and a boutique game is already an uphill fight. Anything that handicaps you is just going to make the hill steeper.

I hope Riot finds a way to succeed. But ultimately for what they're offering it's an expensive game and a tough sell.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

...but it's sad for pinball that an LCD would be enough to change minds on WOOLY. Really? This is because JPP released a game at that price point with an LCD? Are you planning to scrap your pinball games down the road and sell the LCD separately? It's probably a $100-$200 addition - a fancy screen that can't even look at while you're playing.

Sorry, but no. If you want to charge me $8k for a game ... well first off, I'm probably not buying. But if I am, then yeah, I expect a color display, color changing LEDs, and all the modern trappings. Because otherwise why would I pay eight thousand dollars for a pinball game?

Hey, if you don't agree then by all means get a WOOLY. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of it. But it didn't make 100 pre-orders, someone asked why, and as far as I'm concerned that's the reason. It's too expensive for what you get.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

I understand this logic, but it's unfortunate because production costs for a color display and color changing LEDs are a few hundred at most - certainly not the thousands of dollars of "value" that potential buyers seem to place on them.

You're missing the point. It's an EIGHT THOUSAND dollar pinball machine. I'm not breaking down the BOM, or what Riot is making off of it. I'm telling you what I expect for that kind of money. And that includes a color display, color changing LEDs (and rules that incorporate them) and I can't add them to my machine later for a few hundred dollars.

The BOM and price isn't my problem. If Scott basically designed a game that's not sellable then so be it. But the question was why aren't people buying it. And the answer is it's too much money.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Okay, I understand - we just disagree on how much an LCD adds to our personal enjoyment of the pinball machine. I wouldn't pay 20% more for a car just because it has a touch screen in the console showing me extra information about the songs as they play.

And yet people do that all the time. Well not 20%, because you can't scale that over to a car, but thousands more. Personally I'd really miss iDrive if you took it out of my car.

It's kind of pointless to go off into the weeds about car systems though, it's really not related.

Either way, it doesn't really matter if you see the value. Or if I do. We're talking about the general market here. And it's pretty clear that the people have spoken, and the game is just too expensive as is.

Maybe they can make it happen still just from getting it in front of more people.

Maybe they can reduce the BOM and lower the price.

Maybe they keep the price but up things to a color display.

Wish them the best.

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

They've previously stated that the BOM is $7K on WOOLY. They need to cut $1K minimum off of that to compete, in my opinion.

That's not the BOM on WOOLY. That's what it costs right now to build a one-off prototype. Very different proposition.

2 weeks later
#83 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Some people say AMH a good deal at $6000, but to me AMH is too expensive for what it is. IMO, no offense to Spooky and Ben and all their good work, but to me, I'm not buying at that price.

Just curious, what makes it not worth it to you? The art and look of things?

#89 9 years ago

If you're expecting to buy a boutique game, from anyone, for Stern Pro prices, then might as well just give up on every buying one. Just can't be done, the numbers aren't there. But I get expecting value for your money.

AMH has a little bit of a homebrew feel to it. Because that's what it was. It was the efforts of a very small team, figuring things out as they went. I think it's awesome. But I agree it doesn't feel as polished as "commercial" games from bigger companies. And I totally get that it doesn't feel worth as much because of that to some people who are looking for a certain type of game.

Packaging counts!

It's really almost as important as theme in some ways.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-no-love-for-wooly?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.