image.jpg
twistermod.jpeg
Twister465.jpg
Ireland 006.JPG
Ireland 004.JPG
020.JPG
DSCN2185.JPG
008.JPG
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Why is twister such a low rated game?? I have one had to fully shop the PF buy a bunch of parts and then put a super bright cointaker kit in it. it really looks good and it plays very well also. I dig it. people that come over are usually drawn to it first also. The spinning disc on the PF is a great toy. I really like this machine.

#2 10 years ago

Maybe the call-outs.

#3 10 years ago

Every game has call outs. If its that bad turn the volume down or turn up your stereo.

#4 10 years ago

Just answering the question - if you like it that's all that matters. I do like the spinning disc, though of course it's not the first game to implement that feature.

#5 10 years ago

Maybe people just don't get how awesome the theme is. Bill Paxton rules. Personally, I will not go to my grave without having owned a Twister machine. It's on the bucket list.

#6 10 years ago

Generally collector types don't like Sega's games. Reasons usually include flipper-feel, artwork, themes, audio quality.

However, because of that - you can get some pretty fun games for a good price! I really enjoyed my cheap Segas for a while....great bang for the buck, cool toys and features. While it is true - they just don't feel/flip/sound as good as the B/W games of the same era - they're tons of fun for a fraction of the price.

#7 10 years ago

Great game I love the mutiball start and it's super quick

#8 10 years ago

Everybody that comes over plays it and loves it. Great John Borg game. If you have seen the movie it makes it even better. I just wish I could find some plastics for it.

#9 10 years ago

Likely the ruleset is the biggest reason. However I do not know the rules so my speculation could be wrong. SST for life! Or, until I need some cash for something else.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Generally collector types don't like Sega's games. Reasons usually include flipper-feel,

Nothing wrong with the flippers here. They are stronger than most. Pretty much the same product as Stern. Generally collector types bought their games from some kind of list.

#11 10 years ago

Twister is def the strongest flippers ever. Ive heard that from more than one person. I had the glass off and twice the ball flew out of the cabinet.

#12 10 years ago

Dunno. Just firing it up in Visual Pinball to have a go at it.

#13 10 years ago

I will add that when i used to play Twister at the local arcade and they dropped a TOTAN and a Cactus Canyon next to it, I found those machines to be snoozers after playing some Twister. I still feel the same.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Maybe the call-outs.

no no no. It has to be the art. Maybe the layout? maybe the rules? Who knows. There are so many things to pick. this is the era of Sega that was just a shitstorm of shit. Crappiest art packages known to man. Horrible sound system. Cheap looking and feeling. rules that blew total ass. most of the games of that part of Sega were aweful.

But SST is awesome. the rules are just plain fun. But you do have to fix the sound. Remove the one shit speaker. Replace with 2 4" woofers. throw in an L pad and put in a beefy woofer. now it will boom.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

But you do have to fix the sound. Remove the one shit speaker. Replace with 2 4" woofers. throw in an L pad and put in a beefy woofer. now it will boom.

Don't forget about doing the stereo upgrade to the sound board. Sega left one of the amps on the board unpopulated.

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/speaker/index.html

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

was just a shitstorm of shit.

Sounds like your not a fan

I haven't played one, but have walked by it to play other pins...might have to give it a go and see what all the fuss you are making is about.

#17 10 years ago

I like the spinning disk also. Part of the reason I got X-Men besides the night crawlers and cool layout IMO.

#18 10 years ago

I believe Twister is a sleeper. Fun pin for well under 2K. The magnet/spinner is a cool feature. Helps if your a fan of the movie. I installed under the toy oil tanker truck red and yellow led's so when the thumper bumpers are actuated it matches the dot matrix which has the tanker blowing up. Had family over for the holidays and non pinball people love this title. I'm sad to say it had more plays on it that night then MB and SS.008.JPG008.JPG

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I do like the spinning disc, though of course it's not the first game to implement that feature.

Twister was the first machine to use this particular spinning disc, though, with a magnet core for locking balls onto the disc and having them spin/release at multiball start.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from ibuypinballs:

I believe Twister is a sleeper. I'm sad to say it had more plays on it that night then MB and SS.

I totally agree. Very fun game that seems to attract guests like a "magnet". Almost let this game go last year due to space limitations. Fortunately, I found a way to make more space.

#21 10 years ago

Twister is a great game, my dad has one and it's the only game mum plays constantly, the multiball start is one of the best ever. It was at the first Newcastle Pinfest and was one of the games people were asking where it was the next year. It's biggest let down is the film is getting old and is not really considered a classic.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from blue95:

It's biggest let down is the film is getting old and is not really considered a classic.

It's a cult classic. Paxton/Hunt do a horrible job acting but the supporting actors are outstanding. Throw in a couple of cool tornado scenes and you have a cult classsic.

It never gets old hearing the Paxton callout "Everybody underground now!"

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

It's a cult classic. Paxton/Hunt do a horrible job acting but the supporting actors are outstanding. Throw in a couple of cool tornado scenes and you have a cult classsic.
It never gets old hearing the Paxton callout "Everybody underground now!"

Twister remake will be Dutch pinball number two plank. You heard it here first.

#24 10 years ago

"We're storm chasers, it's what we do." Actual quote from the movie.

#25 10 years ago

Twister is a keeper! Along with all my other games that suck.
DSCN2185.JPGDSCN2185.JPG

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Twister is a keeper! Along with all my other games that suck.

DSCN2185.JPG 142 KB

LOL

#27 10 years ago

I am a Sega fan for the most part...

But Twister wouldn't last long with me for the audio aspect..

I have to enjoy that part of an interactive DMD pin for it to be a keeper for me..

#28 10 years ago

I had one for about 6 months....it wasn't a bad game (I liked the VH music) and the multiballs were fun...however the game just didn't seem to hold my interest that long and I grew bored of it fairly quickly.

#29 10 years ago

Bill Paxton got me into pinball! If you've never read the story: http://benheck.com/bill-paxton-pinball-making-of

Only played Twister once, didn't care for it. Apollo 13 is interesting.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Apollo 13 is interesting.

Yes it is, especialy if you set setting to xtra hard for the 13 ball multiball... it becomes a way better pin...

#31 10 years ago

Once upon a year, I wanted a Twister. Almost snagged one, but backed out at the last minute. The artwork is all right - I can't stand photoshopping, but this one was better than some of Sega's attempts. Seemed like a mixture of photoshopping and artwork if I recall correctly. The thing that I eyeballed the most was the spinning disc/magnets. When it works and holds all the balls right before sending them all over the place for multiball, THAT is awesome. When it doesn't work though...watch out.

I played it on Virtual Pin a lot, and I really wanted to like it. It just seemed like there wasn't "that much" going on - it had one good ramp, but that seemed like that was it. Sega's "LW3" kind of - one fancy ramp and it was over. Some lil' toys here and there - I liked Dorothy and the wind sensor mounted above the ramp entrance. Some times I like interactive toys (JP TREX, TZ gumball machine, TS diverters, Sopranos safe, LOTR everything), and sometimes I like these kind of stationary toys (like the TX and Arnie's head on T3) - and these looked really good on Twister.

I think what has personally permanently shied me away from Segas was my previously owned XF. That thing just seemed like CONSTANT maintenance, and it definitely made me aware of Segas build quality. Then again, Baywatch was a VERY good pin, so maybe XF was just a nasty anomaly. Don't care to find out for a while though.

I admit, I have never played an actual Twister since.... 1996 or 1997.

#32 10 years ago

Why no love for Twister, you ask? I'm not really sure as I enjoyed it the few times I played it. However, it has a very similar theme to Whirlwind, which IMHO, is the superior game. Maybe that plays a role?

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from KrustyBurger:

it has a very similar theme to Whirlwind, which IMHO, is the superior game.

Twister has a superior fan.

#34 10 years ago

I like my Twister, it could definitely use a super bright LED upgrade... the play field just doesn't light up like others.

#35 10 years ago

I love my Twister. Didn't like the artwork and sound so I changed them. Then I added a nicer tanker truck, a farm house, and a flying cow. Backalley Creations made custom twister pinballs for me. Guests love this game. It's easy, has a lot of multiballs and everyone loves the spinner.020.JPG020.JPGIreland 004.JPGIreland 004.JPGIreland 006.JPGIreland 006.JPG

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from daley:

Don't forget about doing the stereo upgrade to the sound board. Sega left one of the amps on the board unpopulated.
http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/speaker/index.html

I was going to, but then I found out the ROMS are not programmed to use it. SO you do all that work for nothing, because you won't hear anything from the second half.

In all fairness. it's not the worst game i've ever played. On that note, I have never played a nice one either. Everytime I saw them, they were at super auctions. Which does degrade your opinion of a game greatly. Most Twisters i've seen sold for $700-800. Even then I passed many times over. My opinion might change from playing a pimped out one, but i don't see it creeping into my collection.

#37 10 years ago

Twister is very popular with the average pin crowd.

#38 10 years ago

Twister465.jpgTwister465.jpg

#39 10 years ago

The primary reason it's hated is "Everybody underground now!"

The rules are actually OK. It's a bit too easy to peg the score (10B) believe it or not. That wouldn't really be an issue but it literally stops scoring at that point. It seems your easiest ticket to this is a big bonus (I've had 4.5B bonuses before).

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from PurpleTophat:

Maybe people just don't get how awesome the theme is. Bill Paxton rules. Personally, I will not go to my grave without having owned a Twister machine. It's on the bucket list.

Bill Paxton had some great movie roles, some of my favorite of his is in Aliens and True Lies to name a few!
James Cameron directed both films and really got the best out of him IMHO.

#41 10 years ago

Chet: How 'bout a nice greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray? Is this interesting? Interesting?

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from Hudson:

Bill Paxton had some great movie roles, some of my favorite of his is in Aliens and True Lies to name a few!
James Cameron directed both films and really got the best out of him IMHO.
» YouTube video

My favorite is the Dark Backward. Its an intentional B flick of epic proportions.

#43 10 years ago

I have a Twister for sale, 2000.00 OBO, if anyone is interested drop me a PM.

Joe(acejedi)

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Acejedi:

I have a Twister for sale, 2000.00 OBO, if anyone is interested drop me a PM.
Joe(acejedi)

Your location is crucial to this post.

#45 10 years ago

When you have five balls clustered on the magnet and that disc starts spinning and then releases the balls, it is one of the most visually interesting and exciting moments in pinball, in my honest opinion.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Your location is crucial to this post.

"Citrus Heights, CA" is my guess...

#47 10 years ago

the meteorologist in me wants a Twister to go with Whirlwind and WOZ, but I don't think I could drop more than 1K into it. I love the artwork and have a spare PF on the wall, but there was so much more that could have been done with the game play. Feels so empty to me compared to WW.

#48 10 years ago

Does anyone have a good pic of twisters CPU board?? Trying to troubleshoot something but I'd like another board to compare it to. Thanks guys

#49 10 years ago

I played Whirlwind tonight. people always say twister copied it and they compare the two. I liked Twister much better thought it was a much better looking machine also.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I was going to, but then I found out the ROMS are not programmed to use it.

Agreed. Don't waste your time with adding back the amp.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair#Is_a_Second_Backbox_Speaker_Really_Worth_It.3F

viperrwk

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-no-love-for-twister and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.