• Latest reply 3 years ago by Jkaping
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9FF8E2DC-42E1-4268-9894-A18D44A85DDF.gif
01F1132E-166C-4068-8A8C-1685B90C60DF.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Theme. Plain and simple.
Its a great layout and a fun shooter but..............

Dream theme for me, but if you do something based on nostalgia, you’ve gotta meet the nostalgic criteria. Fake voices when the entire cast minus 1 is still alive is a choice I will never understand. With original cast, I would have bought one. Fake voices = no interest.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

And who gives a fuck how April looks in the game? Voice acting? Come on.

Because it’s a $6000-$10,000 toy. At that price, you represent the nostalgia in the best way possible. It used to be cool when licensed pinballs were prestige projects & people from the license were involved. The cast of STTNG in STTNG, Arnold in T2/T3, JK Simmons in Spider-Man, Gary Oldman in Dracula, Seth MacFarlane in FGY, Simpsons cast in TSPP, Elvira in...Elvira lol. If I’m expected to pay so much for a theme I love, I have expectations that need to be met, or I’m buying something else (or nothing).

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

So if you have nostalgia for a theme do you pass on the only pin they’re ever going to make for it that’s fun to
play

Yes. My nostalgia is directly tied to the voices & music of the theme the pin is based on. I don’t “need” a TMNT pin. I can live without it.

Quoted from gumnut01:

There have been four series made since the late 80s until present. They are all voiced by different actors. There have been 2 movie franchises. Also with new actors.

This argument is irrelevant. This pin is SPECIFICALLY based in the 80s cartoon. If they wanted it to be generic, they would have made it a different version or their own original take.

Quoted from gumnut01:

The voice acting and even the song are not original. But they are good enough to fool me someone who likes the theme but does not watch the cartoons now because I’m 50. .

You have poor attention to detail, and that works for you. I require a strong audio package if I’m going to purchase a pin.

Quoted from gumnut01:

Also pinsiders have already replaced the footage with the original series and the original music. So it solves the problem of authenticity. Problem solved. Get the pin.

Problem not solved. All voices are still fake. Don’t order me to get a pin.

Quoted from gumnut01:

Simpsons I own. Should I have poo pooed it because they could not get Marge or Lisa voiced by Julie Kavner and Yeardley Smith?

False equivalency. TSPP doesn’t have fake Marge and fake Lisa. It has tons of authentic characters from the 3 actors they hired. It’s a perfect game & represents the theme well.

Quoted from gumnut01:

I get a bit tired of people whining about lack of authenticity with pins. I kid you not people announced they were not getting TMNT because April animations looked poor. WTF?

Once again - these pins are a lot of money. For the price, people expect good animation & art on the display. If the animation is gonna be worse than the 80s show, why bother making it? Just use the footage. You can’t force people to ignore what their eyeballs see.

Quoted from gumnut01:

At no time when my wife is playing this game does she say “I’m sorry, I just can’t play this anymore until they recode April to look more like the original series”.

Well, you’re perfect for each each other then lol

Quoted from gumnut01:

I own deadpool, people whine about Ryan Reynolds not doing the voice acting. For a game that is not based on the movies.

People like the theme of Deadpool due to the movies & the humor that RR brought to it. That’s absent in the game. Fair critique if that’s what you want in a DP pin.

Quoted from gumnut01:

Funny thing is 2 of the most popular pins on pinside have very little original voice talent. Pirates and Jurassic park. Go figure.

Pirates has zero personality due to this, another pin I’d never own. JP’s fake voices annoyed me at first, but I’m giving it a pass after I played it. Since the game has created its own narrative & it’s not tied specifically to the movie story - it works.

Quoted from gumnut01:

Anyway each to their own, you’re missing out on a fun game that pays homage to the turtles.

There are plenty of ways for me to have fun in life. I don’t need any game. It’s up to the pin makers to impress me enough for me to spend this kind of money on unfinished untested games with questionable QC. Everything *I* want must be there for *me* to buy. If you’re happy with what’s there, sweet. You don’t have to dismiss valid critique from potentially buyers.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

One thing we agree on. Sorry TMNT didn’t do it for you.
The artwork that zombie yeti has done is superb. The shots created by Borg are fun and challenging. It gives me a rush like TWD. The code by Dwight is great. Lots of variety and co-op and all the modes he has created is awesome. It’s fun to battle through the modes together. A game changer.
My point being even though assets aren’t original, the game still feels like turtles if you aren’t watching the original series and comparing it to that side by side. I don’t have the original series, just enjoyed the turtles craze I experienced in the 90s. I remember the video game, the movie and the song and figurines. The voices, animations and song don’t detract from that. For me the pin is perfect. Did not realise so many grown men actively watch 80s children’s cartoons. Apologies if I offended you by giving my opinion in the first place.
Glad the OP had a variety of opinions to base their decision on.

You don’t need to be such an insulting snark. The OP asked for opinions about “why no love”....these are my reasons. If the game does it for you, great. I’ve got other Borg games with great code, so I don’t need to spend $8k on a game that doesn’t check all boxes. I gave my reason for not buying the game. It has nothing to do with “actively watching” TMNT, and what a weird insult - you’re the one who bought the “children’s cartoon” game, but you’re gonna insult ME for remembering the specifics of it in more detail than you? Why can’t we discuss our reasons without making weird personal insults?

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Hey thanks comic book guy! My first and last moderation for saying I like A game I own and the original voice acting is not that important. Thanks Robin! Adios pinside! Robin, word of advice. Get rid of negative votes. The best people seem to use them.

2020 is weird.

01F1132E-166C-4068-8A8C-1685B90C60DF.gif01F1132E-166C-4068-8A8C-1685B90C60DF.gif
#77 3 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

What were they thinking on theme? Great title for a 5 year old. What’s next? Teletubbies? Barney? Power rangers? I know how about Thomas the Tank engine? I thought Wrestlemania was a stretch but wow.

Why are you comparing TMNT to shows for pre-schoolers? TMNT is a franchise that’s for the same demo as all the Marvel stuff. They’re super heroes, they fight crime and villains. It’s a franchise that’s simultaneously nostalgic & relevant, as it’s never stopped having shows/movies/comics/games since the 80s. If it’s not for you, cool - but you don’t have to be ignorant about what the license is about.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

the thread is why no love for TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES. Teenage mutant ninja turtles... teenage... mutant... ninja... turtles... it’s my opinion of the theme, yours is different, enjoy.. I expressed my opinion on the subject as to why there’s no love. The appeal of the theme is limited to fans of ... T e e n a g e M u t a n t N i n j a T u r t l e s. As if the name alone doesn’t say it all. Google “TNMT demographic” it’s for boys and girls 6-11 (and apparently those that think people with a mentality over that are “ignorant”) exact same as power rangers. Now google Marvel movie demographics.. hmm 18-34 pops up. I’m thinking there should be a turtle shell sippy cup holder mod for this title. Real ignorance is to deny the theme appeal is very VERY limiting. My point.

Bruh, you compared it to Teletubbies & Barney. That’s flat out ignorance.

If it doesn’t appeal to you, cool. No one cares...but comparing it to literal baby shows is like comparing apples & hammers. TMNT isn’t for babies. There aren’t sippy cups. Even you said it’s “6-11”, so you’re admitting your own disinformation.

How is a muscley mutant turtle beating up costumed villains any different than the muscley Avengers beating up costumed villains?

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

You are funny, you are all over this thread crying about how people are insulting you and you’re opinion. My mildly over the top comparisons to teletubby and thomas were hyperbole (you can look that big word up) my overarching point was simply to state the painfully obvious point the theme is the problem before anyone even considers buying the game. A direct and to the point opinion as to why no love for TMNT. I’ll refrain from attacking your intellect and maturity, you are doing a fine job of demonstrating just why you like the theme in your posts.

You can make the point that the theme doesn’t connect with pinball buyers without comparing it to irrelevant baby shows.

No theme is going to be for everyone. That’s not unique to TMNT.

Also, do we truly know this theme doesn't connect? Pinball is a giant toy. Basing a game on a nostalgic toy/comic book/animated show isn’t left-field. Pinball buyers were really excited about Transformers until it came out and sucked. TMNT & Transformers is the same era of 80s action figure/cartoons...an era of nostalgia for a lot of pinball buyers.

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

But I did, Hyperbole - look it up and get over it man it wasn’t directed at you.

This whole thread might be hyperbole...for all we know, this game is selling well & owners are enjoying it.

Quoted from John_in_NC:

We agree!! Other machines weighed down due to poor theme choices are nascar, transformers, wrestlemania, rocky and bullwinkle, Gillian’s island, Popeye, Batman 66, dr who, the list goes on. Some are decent games but the themes are non starters for many.

A theme has to be reeeeaaally divisive to tank a game. Let’s break these down for fun.

NASCAR - Huge fanbase, actually lent itself to some cool features - but it’s a divisive theme. Will be popular in certain regions, despised in others. Similar to Big Buck Hunter. It’s a Southern US game.

Transformers - This theme is great for pinball. Nerds who grew up with these toys are now adult nerds who buy toys like pinball. Nostalgic & still relevant. A G1 Transformers pinball made today would sell well.

WWE - Like NASCAR, huge fanbase, but divisive. You either love it or hate it. Not sure it translates to pinball....wrestling fans want to see their favs doing crazy moves - you can’t really get that from a pin. Proven flop.

Rocky & Bullwinkle - Funny & nostalgic, no reason this is a bad theme. Sold 5500 units, pretty solid for the time. Today, prob not.

Gillian’s Island - Funny & nostalgic, worked as a throwback game in the 90’s....today I don’t think it would sell. It’s like Munsters but less cool.

Popeye - Amazing classic cartoon character who kicks ass. Good pinball theme at the time it was made. The existing game is divisive for its design & politics. Prob wouldn’t sell well today, though.

Batman ‘66 - Great pinball theme. Nostalgic & funny, his the pinball buying demographic perfectly. Even people who didn’t grow up with the show dig it cuz it’s Batman, and everyone loves Adam West.

Dr. Who - Huge fanbase & weird sci-fi stories. Why’s this bad for pinball? Rick & Morty is a bit Dr. Who-ish in concept. The existing Dr. Who pin is awesome, almost 8000 were made. Respectable.

Anyway, I get the sense that you just don’t like animation & campy humor. That’s fair, you gotta do you...but games with humor often become the most beloved and sought after games.

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Ha, yep WOZ is just a flash in the pan, just a fluke it’s been around for over 80 years and known by every living soul old enough to walk upright. JJP is still cranking them out. I’m sure TMNT will fare just as well after 81 years in 2071. Would love a Wonka too, while were at it, I’d like to see a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang pin by JJP, that’d be a fantastic pin if done right. There’s an ass for every seat, just not as many seats required for some. Hey, TMNT fans more power to you. No need to take it so personally, it’s all good with pinball.

Just out of curiosity - how old are you? Not asking as an insult, I just want to understand your point of reference.

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

People younger than 35 generally cant afford a 7k luxury pin just yet and those over 40 are likely like me, not interested. So, that’s why the theme is hobbled. I’m guessing you are between 35-40, How far off am I?

I’m 44, you? I was gonna guess ~60 ...but wouldn’t it be funny if we were about the same age?

Quoted from John_in_NC:

it’s probably not the best plan to build one off a here today gone tomorrow cartoon.

TMNT has never left the airwaves/comic stores/movie theaters/game consoles/etc for over 30 years. I know you love hyperbole, but this is getting silly lol.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

#98 3 years ago
Quoted from JustinJohnson:

Did Stern buy out the old Data East rights to everything? That would make more sense as to why they made this pin.

DE doesn’t have any “rights”. They licensed TMNT from Surge Licensing in the 90s. Today, Stern licensed TMNT from Nickelodeon.

#100 3 years ago

Is there a database somewhere with information as to who owns what licensing rights?

The internet?

Nickelodeon/Viacom bought the TMNT franchise for $60 million in 2009.

#104 3 years ago

Ok I was looking for pin related franchise purchases. I guess I could chase around the internet for hours to try to figure it out. Mr. Obvious. Thanks!

What specifically are you trying to figure out? Pinball companies don’t own any IP they license. They go through the IP owner & sign a contract to use their IP, usually for 3 years. Disney owns POTC, Tron, Star Wars, Simpsons all the Marvel stuff. The music bands generally own themselves. Universal owns Jurassic Park.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

6,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, FL
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 3.49
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 7,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 7,999.00
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grindstone, PA
$ 52.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-no-love-for-tnmt-?tu=Rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.