• Latest reply 3 years ago by Jkaping
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9FF8E2DC-42E1-4268-9894-A18D44A85DDF.gif
01F1132E-166C-4068-8A8C-1685B90C60DF.gif
There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I don't want to be that guy, but my made up OCD is going nuts. Please fix the title to TMNT.

Done. Oversight, sorry

#52 3 years ago

i think the game is really a great package, and one of the best offerings by stern recently for the money. maybe it gets panned because it's so fast playing; it's very brutal for the intermediate player, let alone the beginner. I think if you are really good at pinball, this game is a great one. It takes alot of skill to master the super speed that this game generates. I think it's one of Borg's top 3 designs ever.

I love the art, and the music and sound are pretty good IMO. there are cool ramps and if one came up second hand at a good price, I'd be a buyer.

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Let’s put this into perspective.
So if you have nostalgia for a theme do you pass on the only pin they’re ever going to make for it that’s fun to play? There is no I’ll pass, I’ll wait for the next one.

I agree with what you are sayin', but they've made two TMNT pins. And you never know, they made a 3rd Elvira.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

One thing we agree on. Sorry TMNT didn’t do it for you.
The artwork that zombie yeti has done is superb. The shots created by Borg are fun and challenging. It gives me a rush like TWD. The code by Dwight is great. Lots of variety and co-op and all the modes he has created is awesome. It’s fun to battle through the modes together. A game changer.
My point being even though assets aren’t original, the game still feels like turtles if you aren’t watching the original series and comparing it to that side by side. I don’t have the original series, just enjoyed the turtles craze I experienced in the 90s. I remember the video game, the movie and the song and figurines. The voices, animations and song don’t detract from that. For me the pin is perfect. Did not realise so many grown men actively watch 80s children’s cartoons. Apologies if I offended you by giving my opinion in the first place.
Glad the OP had a variety of opinions to base their decision on.

You don’t need to be such an insulting snark. The OP asked for opinions about “why no love”....these are my reasons. If the game does it for you, great. I’ve got other Borg games with great code, so I don’t need to spend $8k on a game that doesn’t check all boxes. I gave my reason for not buying the game. It has nothing to do with “actively watching” TMNT, and what a weird insult - you’re the one who bought the “children’s cartoon” game, but you’re gonna insult ME for remembering the specifics of it in more detail than you? Why can’t we discuss our reasons without making weird personal insults?

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You don’t need to be such an insulting snark. The OP asked for opinions about “why no love”....these are my reasons. If the game does it for you, great. I’ve got other Borg games with great code, so I don’t need to spend $8k on a game that doesn’t check all boxes. I gave my reason for not buying the game. It has nothing to do with “actively watching” TMNT, and what a weird insult - you’re the one who bought the “children’s cartoon” game, but you’re gonna insult ME for remembering the specifics of it in more detail than you? Why can’t we discuss our reasons without making weird personal insults?

And saying that my wife and I are perfect for each other followed by a condescending lol is fine?

When I posted my original post I was not referring to your post. I was giving my opinion. I had read the voice acting and the April graphics concerns in the owners thread. I was trying to combat that negativity. Your comment was not on my radar.

Then you downvoted my original post. So I posted again to explain why the voice acting is not a big concern for me with this game.

You then corrected every statement I made about deadpool and Simpsons, so let’s not pretend who is acting superior.

The op wants to know if it’s a great game to help them decide whether to buy. I have played hundreds of games on it and the family still loves it. How much time have you put on it? Shouldn’t it count whether the game is fun?

Anyway. All the best. I don’t hold any grudge against you. Sorry to OP for turning his thread into a shit show.

#56 3 years ago

Let me add my personal checklist here. First we need some new blood at the arcade. I love my 80s pins but we were lacking on games past 2015 (only Star Wars). We got Avengers AIQ Premium and it’s a bonafide hit. And when I say that I mean for both our hard core pin people and general public. My goal in bringing any new pin in is to try to thread that needle. It not worth spending $5K if only of hardcore players are satisfied. I want the public to love the theme and play the game. Turtles I think hits that mark well. But it can’t be too hard (my one concern from the comments). A game that lasts for 5 seconds isn’t much fun. At the same time it needs to be deep so it will keep league members happy for a while. From all I have read from each of you above it isn’t perfect but it seems a decent choice at a decent price to check the checkboxes.

#57 3 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

Let me add my personal checklist here. First we need some new blood at the arcade. I love my 80s pins but we were lacking on games past 2015 (only Star Wars). We got Avengers AIQ Premium and it’s a bonafide hit. And when I say that I mean for both our hard core pin people and general public. My goal in bringing any new pin in is to try to thread that needle. It not worth spending $5K if only of hardcore players are satisfied. I want the public to love the theme and play the game. Turtles I think hits that mark well. But it can’t be too hard (my one concern from the comments). A game that lasts for 5 seconds isn’t much fun. At the same time it needs to be deep so it will keep league members happy for a while. From all I have read from each of you above it isn’t perfect but it seems a decent choice at a decent price to check the checkboxes.

It does not work well at steep gradients. Keep it at 6.5. It does have forgiving ball saves. It is on the harder side with shots and speed but the MB are easily obtained and the extra balls are given after 2 episodes.

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hey thanks comic book guy! My first and last moderation for saying I like A game I own and the original voice acting is not that important. Thanks Robin! Adios pinside! Robin, word of advice. Get rid of negative votes. The best people seem to use them.

#59 3 years ago

Really love my TMNT pro. Bought it a month ago, pretty blind. Never read any reviews, bought it purely for the theme. In a small collection like mine i think this pin does really well. And the extra features like the Half Shell Challenge and the co op are a very nice addition to keep the game fresh. With the 1987 code on it, it is right up my alley. I love the shots, the speed, the difficulty, the rulesheet. Only downside for me personally is the use of flashers and GI that can get really overwhelming.

I don’t see this one going anywhere in the near future.

#60 3 years ago

Really love my TMNT pro. Being from 1983 myself, the tv show was a big hit when i was a kid. Bought the machine it a month ago, pretty blind. Never read any reviews, bought it purely for the theme. In a small collection like mine i think this pin does really well. And the extra features like the Half Shell Challenge and the co op are a very nice addition to keep the game fresh. With the 1987 code on it, it is right up my alley. I love the shots, the speed, the difficulty, the rulesheet. Only downside for me personally is the use of flashers and GI that can get really overwhelming.

I don’t see this one going anywhere in the near future.

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Hey thanks comic book guy! My first and last moderation for saying I like A game I own and the original voice acting is not that important. Thanks Robin! Adios pinside! Robin, word of advice. Get rid of negative votes. The best people seem to use them.

It’s because WhoDey is gone. Less moderations and they get bored.

#62 3 years ago

I think TMNT hit right at the worst time. This game having the patent pending Borg operator-friendly outlanes dropped at a time most ops were not buying games due to the pandemic, and the public couldn't get plays on the games the operators did buy. A lot of home buyers bought on theme and art alone without being able to play, and then realized the game is a bit of a challenge for average to mediocre players. Casuals want to feel like they made shots on purpose, not by accident. Personally, I can deal with the Borg-lanes...but I am not keen on the magnetic disc spinner and the Dwight coding. Maybe once the code is finished 3 years from now, i'll re-evaluate.

#63 3 years ago

I’ve been underwhelmed by TMNT compared to other recent Sterns, for a few reasons:

Super blinding lights during multiball
Unchallenging giant mono targets x2
The only unique/novel ball path is the under flipper shot, which is clunky to shoot at best
Most shots not backhandable
Main toy on the pro is a virtual copy of Twister
Rules not super intuitive at first - the main inserts are unlabeled circles

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Thanks Robin! Adios pinside!

Respect

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

2020 is weird.

01F1132E-166C-4068-8A8C-1685B90C60DF.gif01F1132E-166C-4068-8A8C-1685B90C60DF.gif
#66 3 years ago

Anyone know of a vid posted with the half shell challenge mode being shown off?

#67 3 years ago

Why is there no love for turtles? Because for those that have played it it’s a harder game, shots aren’t the easiest and it can be a drain monster. The Le I bought had 50 games on it! And my first 50 games I wasn’t so sure on it. After the next 50 games I loved it! The things I love about it are probably things the mediocre to average player (not saying I’m a world beater, probably slightly better than average) absolutely hate about it. I love brutal games! I love fast games! Star Wars for instance is fast but probably lent too much on the multipliers which was a bit of a gripe for me but I still enjoy playing it and that hyper loop ramp shot is so nice to hit when you hit it sweet. But I digress this is about turtles. The combos are super sweet to hit and that Krang combo oh man it’s fun to “see” the ball whizzing around the upper loop then banging it up the centre ramp! That’s a super fun shot/combo. The multi balls seem a little too easy to get into which I’m still a bit Ho hum on because I don’t feel like I’ve earned them. But team up multiball is SWEET as!

For me I’m fooled enough too to not hear the difference between the 80s cartoon and the pin the last time I hear that stuff was 25/30 years ago. Sound package can help a pin but for me I kind of hear the call outs slash game sounds and use them as cues as what I’ve got to do next so they don’t mean a great deal to me.

For me what means 80% of a purchase is what the ball is doing under that glass. If a game make me do different things. Keeps me interested. Munsters is a great shooting game but if you don’t have kitty running you’re stuffed and high scores are basically not going to happen. That’s why that game wore thin on me. You have to do one thing to have a great game other wise nope! Bksor you have to hit those deadly shots = fun but couple that with keep the ball on the sky loops = zzzzz rinse and repeat zzzzz. No single turtles mode is the same and you have to shoot the entire playfield so win win win. That’s why it’s fun for me

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

I’ve been underwhelmed by TMNT compared to other recent Sterns, for a few reasons:
Super blinding lights during multiball
Unchallenging giant mono targets x2
The only unique/novel ball path is the under flipper shot, which is clunky to shoot at best
Most shots not backhandable
Main toy on the pro is a virtual copy of Twister
Rules not super intuitive at first - the main inserts are unlabeled circles

I hated the idea of mono-targets but they work on this game. The shots are right at the tip of the flippers, there is no way you could be accurate enough to hit single targets.

Both main ramps are backhandable, as well as the lair shot. Lair shot is easy once you practice it from both flippers, close the upper flipper at the right time to secure it.

I've posted mine for sale on Craigslist and Pinside a couple times and have had people offer what I was asking. I can't seem to let it go. The theme doesn't do much for me, I was a toddler when the cartoon came out but played with turtle toys as a kid. It reminds me of Iron Man on steroids, the third flipper and flow is fantastic. Hitting 3 and 4 different shot combos is amazing. Leveling up training to increase scores by 10% is one of my main strategies but introduces a lot of risk, and the game tends to pull you in multiple directions with the use of hurry ups, again risk-reward decisions. It really is a great game.

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I think Iron Maiden music sucks ass.....I still bought the game and love playing it.

To me that's very strange. I don't care how well a Garth Brooks pin or a Beyonce pin might play it will never get any of my time.

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

To me that's very strange. I don't care how well a Garth Brooks pin or a Beyonce pin might play it will never get any of my time.

Thanks for making you perspective clear for like the fourth time in the thread.

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Complete opposite for me. I'll buy a game if the play is good. Example...I think Iron Maiden music sucks ass.....I still bought the game and love playing it.

I love the gameplay of IM also but not a fan of the band so can’t bring myself to buy it. But I love my Stranger Things pro but never watched the show, so what do I know lol. I totally contradicted myself lol. But if I get a music pin I have to love the band. Wish Led Zeppelin turned out better.

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Thanks for making you perspective clear for like the fourth time in the thread.

I was having a back and forth with someone. What do u care.
Fuckface.

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I was having a back and forth with someone. What do u care.
Fuckface.

Funny how some people have to be jerks when you were just having a back and forth conversation with someone. People like that make this forum suck and also some of the so called self proclaimed experts in all things pinball.

#74 3 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Funny how some people have to be jerks when you were just having a back and forth conversation with someone. People like that make this forum suck and also some of the so called self proclaimed experts in all things pinball.

Quite right kind sir. I don't think he liked that I rebutted his comment and it got some thumbs up's. U know how sensitive those "Self proclaimed experts" can be. Which makes it all worth while.

#75 3 years ago

What were they thinking on theme? Great title for a 5 year old. What’s next? Teletubbies? Barney? Power rangers? I know how about Thomas the Tank engine? I thought Wrestlemania was a stretch but wow.

#76 3 years ago

I'm 37, grew up with the Turtles in the 80s and my kids are into the Turtles now. Theme is great for us. Game play is good. The only complaints I get from people are the scores. Play any other pinball I have and you will come out with a ridiculous score. Play tmnt and you will walk away feeling defeated every time. Just my thoughts on why the majority of people complain about it that I personally see.

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

What were they thinking on theme? Great title for a 5 year old. What’s next? Teletubbies? Barney? Power rangers? I know how about Thomas the Tank engine? I thought Wrestlemania was a stretch but wow.

Why are you comparing TMNT to shows for pre-schoolers? TMNT is a franchise that’s for the same demo as all the Marvel stuff. They’re super heroes, they fight crime and villains. It’s a franchise that’s simultaneously nostalgic & relevant, as it’s never stopped having shows/movies/comics/games since the 80s. If it’s not for you, cool - but you don’t have to be ignorant about what the license is about.

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

TNMT seemed to have been launched with great fanfare and hype, and if one looks at the ratings they aren’t half bad. Despite this there seems to be an epidemic of people unloading their TNMTs at pretty discount prices almost immediately. Perhaps I am just being particularly attentive, but this doesn’t seem an isolated move at all. Seems even more than Stranger Things which was pretty much derided the moment it came out. Thoughts ? Too little room and too many new pins coming out ? I do ask this out of self interest since I may want to buy one and wonder if I am missing something.

Funny you mention both of these games (TMNT and Stranger Things). I got to play the latter for the first time last night and it's at least decent from what I experienced, enough that I didn't regret spending $2 for 3 credits (wound up being a couple more than that with replays). This is despite never watching the TV show (which wasn't a requirement to get plenty of fun out of playing tables themed from Game of Thrones or The Sopranos, either).

For that matter, TMNT is a pretty good game in my book. I like the strategy of different shots being lit by selecting a given turtle in the beginning. I can see this adding new challenges in pin-golf, for example, by requiring a player select a given turtle to complete that "hole".

My tastes in games are weird. For many years I said The Addams Family sucked, though this may have been in part from seeing so many of them around town (this was in the 90s).

#79 3 years ago

the thread is why no love for TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES. Teenage mutant ninja turtles... teenage... mutant... ninja... turtles... it’s my opinion of the theme, yours is different, enjoy.. I expressed my opinion on the subject as to why there’s no love. The appeal of the theme is limited to fans of ... T e e n a g e M u t a n t N i n j a T u r t l e s. As if the name alone doesn’t say it all. Google “TNMT demographic” it’s for boys and girls 6-11 (and apparently those that think people with a mentality over that are “ignorant”) exact same as power rangers. Now google Marvel movie demographics.. hmm 18-34 pops up. I’m thinking there should be a turtle shell sippy cup holder mod for this title. Real ignorance is to deny the theme appeal is very VERY limiting. My point.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Why are you comparing TMNT to shows for pre-schoolers? TMNT is a franchise that’s for the same demo as all the Marvel stuff. They’re super heroes, they fight crime and villains. It’s a franchise that’s simultaneously nostalgic & relevant, as it’s never stopped having shows/movies/comics/games since the 80s. If it’s not for you, cool - but you don’t have to be ignorant about what the license is about.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

the thread is why no love for TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES. Teenage mutant ninja turtles... teenage... mutant... ninja... turtles... it’s my opinion of the theme, yours is different, enjoy.. I expressed my opinion on the subject as to why there’s no love. The appeal of the theme is limited to fans of ... T e e n a g e M u t a n t N i n j a T u r t l e s. As if the name alone doesn’t say it all. Google “TNMT demographic” it’s for boys and girls 6-11 (and apparently those that think people with a mentality over that are “ignorant”) exact same as power rangers. Now google Marvel movie demographics.. hmm 18-34 pops up. I’m thinking there should be a turtle shell sippy cup holder mod for this title. Real ignorance is to deny the theme appeal is very VERY limiting. My point.

Bruh, you compared it to Teletubbies & Barney. That’s flat out ignorance.

If it doesn’t appeal to you, cool. No one cares...but comparing it to literal baby shows is like comparing apples & hammers. TMNT isn’t for babies. There aren’t sippy cups. Even you said it’s “6-11”, so you’re admitting your own disinformation.

How is a muscley mutant turtle beating up costumed villains any different than the muscley Avengers beating up costumed villains?

#81 3 years ago

You are funny, you are all over this thread crying about how people are insulting you and you’re opinion. My mildly over the top comparisons to teletubby and thomas were hyperbole (you can look that big word up) my overarching point was simply to state the painfully obvious point the theme is the problem before anyone even considers buying the game. A direct and to the point opinion as to why no love for TMNT. I’ll refrain from attacking your intellect and maturity, you are doing a fine job of demonstrating just why you like the theme in your posts.

Quoted from Rarehero:Bruh, you compared it to Teletubbies & Barney. That’s flat out ignorance.
If it doesn’t appeal to you, cool. No one cares...but comparing it to literal baby shows is like comparing apples & hammers. TMNT isn’t for babies. There aren’t sippy cups. Even you said it’s “6-11”, so you’re admitting your own disinformation.
How is a muscley mutant turtle beating up costumed villains any different than the muscley Avengers beating up costumed villains?

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

You are funny, you are all over this thread crying about how people are insulting you and you’re opinion. My mildly over the top comparisons to teletubby and thomas were hyperbole (you can look that big word up) my overarching point was simply to state the painfully obvious point the theme is the problem before anyone even considers buying the game. A direct and to the point opinion as to why no love for TMNT. I’ll refrain from attacking your intellect and maturity, you are doing a fine job of demonstrating just why you like the theme in your posts.

You can make the point that the theme doesn’t connect with pinball buyers without comparing it to irrelevant baby shows.

No theme is going to be for everyone. That’s not unique to TMNT.

Also, do we truly know this theme doesn't connect? Pinball is a giant toy. Basing a game on a nostalgic toy/comic book/animated show isn’t left-field. Pinball buyers were really excited about Transformers until it came out and sucked. TMNT & Transformers is the same era of 80s action figure/cartoons...an era of nostalgia for a lot of pinball buyers.

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

What were they thinking on theme?

Well all the manufacturers are guilty of this. Jesus, Wonka and Woz? Hotwheels and Oktoberfest? TMNT and Stranger Things? Rob Zombie and Alice Cooper doesn't have to be kiddie sometimes its fem or just just plain disturbing or simply shit. I really wouldn't mind if it was 2 out of 3 that were lame but its more like 9 out of 10 and that sucks. Sometimes they make a decent theme but its gets ruined by terrible custom pinball call outs that aren't funny and sound out of place. I really hope Alien works out and Godzilla gets made based on the great 70/80s Japan stuff. Its time to buy something.

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Do you know how to use the ignore function? Works a treat for situations like this.

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You can make the point that the theme doesn’t connect with pinball buyers without comparing it to irrelevant baby shows.

But I did, Hyperbole - look it up and get over it man it wasn’t directed at you.

Quoted from Rarehero:

No theme is going to be for everyone. That’s not unique to TMNT.

We agree!! Other machines weighed down due to poor theme choices are nascar, transformers, wrestlemania, rocky and bullwinkle, Gillian’s island, Popeye, Batman 66, dr who, the list goes on. Some are decent games but the themes are non starters for many.

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

But I did, Hyperbole - look it up and get over it man it wasn’t directed at you.

This whole thread might be hyperbole...for all we know, this game is selling well & owners are enjoying it.

Quoted from John_in_NC:

We agree!! Other machines weighed down due to poor theme choices are nascar, transformers, wrestlemania, rocky and bullwinkle, Gillian’s island, Popeye, Batman 66, dr who, the list goes on. Some are decent games but the themes are non starters for many.

A theme has to be reeeeaaally divisive to tank a game. Let’s break these down for fun.

NASCAR - Huge fanbase, actually lent itself to some cool features - but it’s a divisive theme. Will be popular in certain regions, despised in others. Similar to Big Buck Hunter. It’s a Southern US game.

Transformers - This theme is great for pinball. Nerds who grew up with these toys are now adult nerds who buy toys like pinball. Nostalgic & still relevant. A G1 Transformers pinball made today would sell well.

WWE - Like NASCAR, huge fanbase, but divisive. You either love it or hate it. Not sure it translates to pinball....wrestling fans want to see their favs doing crazy moves - you can’t really get that from a pin. Proven flop.

Rocky & Bullwinkle - Funny & nostalgic, no reason this is a bad theme. Sold 5500 units, pretty solid for the time. Today, prob not.

Gillian’s Island - Funny & nostalgic, worked as a throwback game in the 90’s....today I don’t think it would sell. It’s like Munsters but less cool.

Popeye - Amazing classic cartoon character who kicks ass. Good pinball theme at the time it was made. The existing game is divisive for its design & politics. Prob wouldn’t sell well today, though.

Batman ‘66 - Great pinball theme. Nostalgic & funny, his the pinball buying demographic perfectly. Even people who didn’t grow up with the show dig it cuz it’s Batman, and everyone loves Adam West.

Dr. Who - Huge fanbase & weird sci-fi stories. Why’s this bad for pinball? Rick & Morty is a bit Dr. Who-ish in concept. The existing Dr. Who pin is awesome, almost 8000 were made. Respectable.

Anyway, I get the sense that you just don’t like animation & campy humor. That’s fair, you gotta do you...but games with humor often become the most beloved and sought after games.

#87 3 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

This from someone owns Wizard of Oz.

#88 3 years ago

Nothing better than an old fashioned Pinside theme shaming thread! Personally I would have mentioned his Mayfair...but WOZ did sort of start this whole thing.

#89 3 years ago

I've owned a pro for about a week now, game is an ass kicker and not for the faint of heart. Some will hate it and some will love it for that same reason.

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from Monte:

This from someone owns Wizard of Oz.

Ha, yep WOZ is just a flash in the pan, just a fluke it’s been around for over 80 years and known by every living soul old enough to walk upright. JJP is still cranking them out. I’m sure TMNT will fare just as well after 81 years in 2071. Would love a Wonka too, while were at it, I’d like to see a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang pin by JJP, that’d be a fantastic pin if done right. There’s an ass for every seat, just not as many seats required for some. Hey, TMNT fans more power to you. No need to take it so personally, it’s all good with pinball.

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Ha, yep WOZ is just a flash in the pan, just a fluke it’s been around for over 80 years and known by every living soul old enough to walk upright. JJP is still cranking them out. I’m sure TMNT will fare just as well after 81 years in 2071. Would love a Wonka too, while were at it, I’d like to see a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang pin by JJP, that’d be a fantastic pin if done right. There’s an ass for every seat, just not as many seats required for some. Hey, TMNT fans more power to you. No need to take it so personally, it’s all good with pinball.

Just out of curiosity - how old are you? Not asking as an insult, I just want to understand your point of reference.

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Just out of curiosity - how old are you? Not asking as an insult, I just want to understand your point of reference.

I played brand new EMs through most of my high school years. So yeah , I left the station long before TMNT came in by decades. For me It’s certainly a generational thing. That said, family guy, American dad, futurama, simpsons, shrek, A Ren and Stimpy theme or even Spongebob would get at least some consideration because they are enjoyable at any age with the multi generational humor laced in. TMNT would not appeal to a 16 year old being introduced to it for the first time. It was geared to a narrow audience. People younger than 35 generally cant afford a 7k luxury pin just yet and those over 40 are likely like me, not interested. So, that’s why the theme is hobbled. I’m guessing you are between 35-40, How far off am I? Anyway happy new year, I didn’t intend to dis anyone’s love for the game, whatever makes you happy. My 2c for what it’s worth, a childish nostalgic theme is fine even advantageous if it has broad appeal like tspp or woz, but it’s probably not the best plan to build one off a here today gone tomorrow cartoon.

#93 3 years ago

Short story- don't argue with a cartoon Man aboot cartoons !

Long story- Every theme is as dumb as the next.
I completely agree TMNT is the most juvenile thing ever, but so Is everthing else.
JohnNC been around 11 years and remember everyone calling WOZ "the G word" back then which was allowed and no he ownes it. So....what else to argue?
Edit: again there's nothing wrong with stating s theme is why a title didn't sell well.

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

People younger than 35 generally cant afford a 7k luxury pin just yet and those over 40 are likely like me, not interested. So, that’s why the theme is hobbled. I’m guessing you are between 35-40, How far off am I?

I’m 44, you? I was gonna guess ~60 ...but wouldn’t it be funny if we were about the same age?

Quoted from John_in_NC:

it’s probably not the best plan to build one off a here today gone tomorrow cartoon.

TMNT has never left the airwaves/comic stores/movie theaters/game consoles/etc for over 30 years. I know you love hyperbole, but this is getting silly lol.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Ha, yep WOZ is just a flash in the pan,

Follow the yellow brick road? come on man.

This just shows how different we all are when it comes to themes and that's fine. U know to say TMNT is kiddie but be a fan of WOZ proves how diverse we can be and why themes for the most part are all over the place. Although there are for sure hits and I often wonder why they go for the crap they do but what else is new in this hobby. Think of the 90's stuff. The movies they chose. The question here was "why no love for TMNT" we all know why. Yet some games that have massive love also have horseshit themes. Ah who cares. I'm just jealous u TMNT dorks got ur dream theme. Where's Black Sabbath, Where's The Predator or Total Recall. Where the hell is "The Wrath of Khan/Search for Spock" dedicated pin and how about Strange Brew. I got nothing over here.

Well SW's and Maiden and maybe finally an Alien and now possibly a Godzilla pin. Who knows they may do Judas Priest one day or even dare I say
SLAYER.

#96 3 years ago

Did Stern buy out the old Data East rights to everything? That would make more sense as to why they made this pin. For myself I'd rather have seen a G.I. Joe pin.

The thing is Hollywood isn't pumping out any movies right now so I'm sure the pin makers have to deal with that as well. But yes I tend to agree on the fact that remaking pins of already existing themes is getting rather old ie: Led Zeppelin.

That being said though I've played this game plenty of times on location including a cash tournament and a selfie league. It is fun and I haven't tried the 2 v 2 mode or team up modes but i guess I'm not seeing the 'problem' with the coding that other have referred to? I didn't initially like it at first but it is definitely growing on me, the R ramp can be a real pain and getting the ball into the LAIR is a pain as well. The LAIR shot is not a shot I enjoy on any pin though (like #star_trek

#97 3 years ago

No love? It sits near MET, SM, and Indy in the rankings, which seems like good company to me. As for theme, I never saw the Shadow or TWD, and we loved those pins. I've never played golf in my life, and NGG had a place in my lineup for a while. Wonka seemed very juvenile to me, and we still enjoyed it for ~600 plays.

I'm glad the pinside group think is pushing the TMNT values down, it let me pick one up for a great price.

#98 3 years ago
Quoted from JustinJohnson:

Did Stern buy out the old Data East rights to everything? That would make more sense as to why they made this pin.

DE doesn’t have any “rights”. They licensed TMNT from Surge Licensing in the 90s. Today, Stern licensed TMNT from Nickelodeon.

#99 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

DE doesn’t have any “rights”. They licensed TMNT from Surge Licensing in the 90s. Today, Stern licensed TMNT from Nickelodeon.

Is there a database somewhere with information as to who owns what licensing rights?

#100 3 years ago
Quoted from JustinJohnson:

Is there a database somewhere with information as to who owns what licensing rights?

The internet?

Nickelodeon/Viacom bought the TMNT franchise for $60 million in 2009.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.00
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grindstone, PA
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Reflex Mods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tualatin, OR
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 52.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 22.00
Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.00
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 7,999.00
$ 7,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-no-love-for-tnmt-/page/2?hl=pokerjake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.