Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

th_(resized).jpg
th.jpeg
kingsqueens.jpg
Metal.png
image.jpg

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

I wonder why "Big Indian" doesn't get much attention here? It rates

number two on the IPDB list of top 250 em machines of all time...I played it and loved it..

Other games like "Surfer" and the Wedge heads get lots of love and deservedly so...

Maybe I am missing something ? Does the artwork turn people off ?? Just perplexed.))

#2 6 years ago

Do any EMs get attention on here?

#4 6 years ago

Em's are for cargp# ? old timers

#5 6 years ago

"Who does number 2 work for?".... Sorry I couldn't help myself.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Mercury:

"Surfer" and the Wedge heads get lots of love

Not here.

#7 6 years ago

EMs are like driving a model T. TZ is like a 57 Chevy.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

Pretty much sums it up.

#9 6 years ago

I understand why ems' don't generate a lot of excitement amongst most pinsiders but why

does "Big Indian" not get much attention when it's rated number 2 in the top 250 of IPDB? I read a

lot about "Atlantis","Surfer","Jacks open" and "Royal Flush" here.Just curious what gives?

#10 6 years ago

Hopefully this sort of bias towards EM's isn't driving away those that would participate in the forums. Don't know where else they would go though.

#11 6 years ago

One EM that always gets attention is Spanish Eyes.

#12 6 years ago

We want information,information, Who are you? the new number two,who is number one? You are number six,I am not a number I am a free man Ha Ha Ha ha.

#13 6 years ago

Not sure why people would come to this thread, which is in the "EM Hangout" sub-forum by the way, just to point out that they don't like EMs. Pretty lame stuff for a forum that is supposedly all about the positivity!

That said, I play my Volley more than most DMDs and love it.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

Yes, but we don't care where they rank, because they are all good! That and we're too busy playing them.

#15 6 years ago

Pinball is not all ramps, DMDs, LEDs and copyrighted material. There is no love here for the pins of the past; I have no idea why, there just isn't. Some of the EMs are great and are pure pinball. I personally find SS from the early 80s and card themed wedges to be some of the best pinball around. I have never played "Big Indian" but to be #2 it must be a pretty good game.

#16 6 years ago

Card themed wedge heads are great for sure, and there's some pretty good pool themed ones too.

#17 6 years ago

Maybe you should ask why the Big Injun game(s) are rated so high to begin with......... :doh:I don't get that part. Vari-targets generally don't get much love, nor is the art package on that game anything to get excited about (unless you like Totem as well?). As mentioned in many previous threads, single player games have deeper rulesets as well. I think many of the ratings on IPDb are skewed by people who want to boost the ratings on their cherished game as well as down-grading well regarded games by giving them the all 1s/2s type ratings.

#18 6 years ago

We don't take much credence in the IPDB statistics.

Gottlieb made a lot of great em's. You can have 10 guys in a room and they'll all have a different favorite game. If you search the archives of Pinside or rgp for the top ten Gottlieb em's, that should be a pretty good indicator. Most guys go for the best playing games which have a great theme, great artwork, and most important, a great ruleset. Single player wedgeheads tend to have better rulesets than multi-players although games like Jack in the Box, etc., can be the exception. Having drop targets reset during a ball and not when the ball ends is an example. Several single-players have "progressive" rulesets where you achieve a goal such as 1-9, etc.. Multi-players can't carry features over from ball to ball like single players can. I'm not saying multi-players aren't still fun to play because I own some too.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

We want information,information, Who are you? the new number two,who is number one? You are number six,I am not a number I am a free man Ha Ha Ha ha.

A prisoner reference, that's pretty rare.

I keep a Royal Flush in my collection. I collect 90's Bly/Wms most but all pinball if fun so I keep a little of everything around.

#20 6 years ago

I personally love big brave/big Indian. I played the heck out of the game back in the day.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

A prisoner reference, that's pretty rare.

The prisoner, Patrick McGoohan, was also the warden in "Escape from Alcatraz"

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Iron Maiden"The number of the beast"is what he is referring too.

#23 6 years ago

Some people don't like EMs. Some people are more "theme centric". Me personally, I do not think you can have an appropriate love of pinball if you don't appreciate all eras and forms of the game.

It's one of those things that becomes more obvious as you get older: the beauty of simplicity, although technically-speaking, there's a strong argument for EM pinball design being a lot more difficult than modern solid state stuff.

#24 6 years ago

You are number 6

#25 6 years ago

I love EMs, I love pins from all generations. Especially those that are challenging to play. BigIndian is a very nice one.
It seems there is a fair number of pinsiders who appreciate them. But EMs generate less posts that the latest Pins... we can't speculate about the forthcoming titles

#26 6 years ago

Over 8,000 Big Indian pins made, it could be a classic case of a lot of people voting for their own game.

#27 6 years ago

There are some great EM themes, and certainly some amazing EM artwork. I really need to finish touching up my C37 playfield now that the repro plastics are on their way.

#28 6 years ago

The lack of love on here for EM's is very sad, I really wish there was more balance, but it is what it is.

I'm not sure why Big Indian is #2 on the IPDB list, it's an Ok but not great game, doesn't belong at the top of the list of great wedgeheads or EM's. At least they got #1 right with Slick Chick

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Yes Yes^
I believe that Em s today are much a kin to vinyl records ,not many people would have or own them or yet understand it, digital media does not have the same soul as the older analog counterparts , but there is something to say about how things were done prior to the digital switch ,granted the newer technology has advantages versus analog,and vice-versa but yet there is a cult following to some of the older technology,whether it be a memory from playing them in your childhood or a way to go to a simpler era, Like was said ^Em s have a different mindset from ruleset and repairing.
The artwork on pinball was cool back in the day ,just like the album covers of that era,it seems reversed to me ,you would think it would be a better marketing tool to have a theme that has no tie to a band or movie theme,just look at all the older pins that had no corporate entertainment meddling and have that free minded expression.

Em s are like a changing of the guard, things get lost over time,fortunately we have people that still want to keep onto the older Em s rather than throw them in the garbage.

Long live Em s and the people who play and work on them!

#30 6 years ago

"Touche"!

#31 6 years ago

1:20

#32 6 years ago

As Ricky Bobby says....

image.jpg

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Yes Yes^
I believe that Em s today are much a kin to vinyl records ,not many people would have or own them or yet understand it, digital media does not have the same soul as the older analog counterparts , but there is something to say about how things were done prior to the digital switch ,granted the newer technology has advantages versus analog,and vice-versa but yet there is a cult following to some of the older technology,whether it be a memory from playing them in your childhood or a way to go to a simpler era, Like was said ^Em s have a different mindset from ruleset and repairing.
The artwork on pinball was cool back in the day ,just like the album covers of that era,it seems reversed to me ,you would think it would be a better marketing tool to have a theme that has no tie to a band or movie theme,just look at all the older pins that had no corporate entertainment meddling and have that free minded expression.
Em s are like a changing of the guard, things get lost over time,fortunately we have people that still want to keep onto the older Em s rather than throw them in the garbage.
Long live Em s and the people who play and work on them!
» YouTube video

+1

#34 6 years ago

If you look at the EM ratings over time they tend to have changed many times over the last couple years. I have a feeling the ratings are being worked to some extent. For example how can Big Indian be #2 and Big Brave not be number 1 or 3 (statistically speaking)?

That said, I love my Big Indian (and would rate it similarly if it was Big Brave) - but there are probably others that should be higher rated for any number of reasons (where is Jet Spin?)

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Could have fooled me!

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Could have fooled me!

Metal in my veins.

Metal.png

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Em's are for cargp# ? old timers

If you don't have anything nice to say about EMs then GTFO!

#38 6 years ago

I think it is the theme. Games with girls and or space themes have wider appeal. Big mistake not putting a could squaw's on the backglass. The other detractor is the vari-target..some people don't like this feature.

Repair is more of an exercise is using your ears, eyes and some basic knowledge.

#39 6 years ago

I am glad that there is little love for the EM machines. Look what ALL the love has done to the DMD and SS game prices . I am happy to collect and restore my EM machines in loveless anonymity. I hope that these great games stay under the radar for most of the collectors. Those of us that love and apprecheate this era of machines will continue to buy our $100.00 Projects .

All we need is for all of these knuckleheads that drove SS and Dmd prices up 3000% over the last 10 years to discover EM's

Keep the No Love coming.

Good Bless America
Brian Lenker
Madison Hts, Mi
586-344-0721

#40 6 years ago

I'd love to round out my collection with an EM pin.

#41 6 years ago

Personally I'm a fan of EM machines and wish I could own a couple. The artwork, sounds, simplicity of the playfield are all appealing and can be a lot more fun to own than some of the current DMD era pins as for some reason they seem to not get as boring fast.

In Australia though I'm yet to find an EM pin in good enough condition to warrant the price, seems to be rare here and in most cases priced higher than the entry level DMDS even when in poor condition. When I see one I'll snap it up though, if I was in the U.S i'd be buying loads for the prices you see Em's going for.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

I'd love to round out my collection with an EM pin.

I'm starting to think EMs may eventually out the rest of my collection.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Bribo13:

I hope that these great games stay under the radar for most of the collectors. Those of us that love and apprecheate this era of machines will continue to buy our $100.00 Projects.

Shhhh! You'll let the cat out of the bag!

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Bribo13:

I am glad that there is little love for the EM machines. Look what ALL the love has done to the DMD and SS game prices . I am happy to collect and restore my EM machines in loveless anonymity. I hope that these great games stay under the radar for most of the collectors. Those of us that love and apprecheate this era of machines will continue to buy our $100.00 Projects .
All we need is for all of these knuckleheads that drove SS and Dmd prices up 3000% over the last 10 years to discover EM's
Keep the No Love coming.

+1!!!!!!! EM bubble broke in the late 90's. Lets keep it broken!

#45 6 years ago

100. Hell my last wedge I got for 75.

-Jeff

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm starting to think EMs may eventually out the rest of my collection.

I feel this way sometimes, but I still want an assortment of era's. I think my collection will always have a balance that way, but if it did go to one style, EM would be it.

#47 6 years ago

Don't know where you get your info but spending some #2 time right now.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

I feel this way sometimes, but I still want an assortment of era's. I think my collection will always have a balance that way,

Your right, I may just have to knock out some walls to make room for
"wedgehead" row.

#49 6 years ago

Those lyrics are not from the song "Number of the Beast"... It's "The Prisoner".
http://www.metrolyrics.com/the-prisoner-lyrics-iron-maiden.html

#50 6 years ago

From the 1960s TV show " The Prisoner"

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 2.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 3.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
£ 29.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 800.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside