Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 178 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Gryphun
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_2863_(resized).JPG
    DSC_2862_(resized).JPG
    TFTC_playfield_(resized).jpg
    DSC02873_(resized).JPG
    DSC02872_(resized).JPG
    DSC02871_(resized).JPG
    DSC02867_(resized).JPG
    DSC02865_(resized).JPG
    JP_(resized).jpg
    TommyPlastic_(resized).jpg
    100_1288_(resized).JPG
    100_1285_(resized).JPG
    IMG_0916_(resized).JPG
    IMG_0857_(resized).JPG
    IMG_0913_(resized).JPG
    IMG_0113_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sevenrites.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 8 years ago

Laser War is awesome, they really came out firing with their first entry. I love Tales from the Crypt, can't get much gorier than that and the artwork is actually pretty awesome. I have a lot of fun on their games. I think they were really trying to get some attention in the market, but I agree they don't feel as smooth, polished and solid as a Williams / Bally / Midway. And the usual issues people have with the modes & objectives. I've had fun on every game they've made that I've played though. They'll always get my appreciation.

1 week later
    #100 8 years ago

Hey, let's face it - Stern may not be here making games today if Data East would have been a total failure. You've got to give the brand credit for that.

I'm wondering if anyone can attest to whether or not Data East was the same price point as Bally or Williams. I'd assume Data East were less expensive, to get more people in the price point they can afford. As for quality, they just don't feel as solid or polished and smooth overall, but they were the new guy and they had to come up with some different things hardware wise since they kept getting sued by the competition trying to keep them out of the business. Competition must have feared them for a reason.

My Data East games hold up extremely well, so I have no experience with them being any more problematic than any other brand. The licensing probably also cost big bucks, so their overall budget would have been hindered a bit due to that.

In spite of all that, they went for it, they went big, they got some huge licensed titles and put out some pretty kick ass games.

These arguments about crappy art and crappy sound can also be said about plenty of other vendor's games.

#106 8 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

Try changing the GI bulbs on them...

I've never had an issue changing the GI bulbs. Seriously? I'd be embarrassed to admit I can't change a bulb. The other sad part (aside from not being able to change a bulb, that's bad enough) is you're probably not being sarcastic.

Quoted from jrivelli:

the rules are pretty shallow and easy on most

All the people who think the rules are shallow and easy should be ranking very high in the leagues and holding several high scores, and also should have been able to beat every Data East game they've played in just a few quick games then. I see no evidence to support that out of any of the people who have commented on that aspect.

In addition, wouldn't shallow and easy rules help encourage younger kids and novice players to play the games? I don't see that as a downside.

#113 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

DE are for newbs & children

I'll go round for round with you on any Bally / Williams / Midway / Stern or Gottlieb game if you think my appreciation for Data East means I'm a child with little skill.

#114 8 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

stapled in GI sucks

This is new to me. I've never seen it in any of the Data East games I've owned or played.

Quoted from jrivelli:

Whats your deal insulting people who point out annoyances in DE games?

What's your deal with insulting Data East & people who enjoy them?

#121 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

check out the gallery section

I see what you mean, I have some like that but they're not an annoyance or nuisance to me. I just don't see what the big deal is. If you're doing it right, you're going to take off the plastic and anything else on top of the bulb and clean and polish everything and wax the play field when you're in there, and probably put in an LED so you won't have to change it again for a long time. What's so hard about that?

I guess people who like to cut corners and just slap a quick "shop" job on things would have a problem with stapled lighting sockets. And I can see how it would be a bit of an inconvenience to an operator motivated by profits just looking to swap a cheap bulb out quick.

I'd be willing to bet most of the people with issues regarding stapled GI bulbs are the same types who just bend the screwed in bulb sockets down to change them instead of unscrewing them from the play field. It seems lazy to me.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sevenrites.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-no-love-for-data-east-games?tu=sevenrites and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.