(Topic ID: 28125)

Why no love for Baywatch(tempted to buy one and in need of an intervention :) )?

By Ika

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Banker
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Is there a real reason to hate Sega Baywatch pinball other than not liking the theme?

I'm looking for a budget pin with deep enough rules, to have a mode based gameplay, but not exclusively to be mode based, to have a multiball with more than 3 balls, to have lots of different shots to shoot for and a wizard mode but not to be an easy pinball machine.

I've seen PAPA video of Baywatch, seen its rules in PDF manual and it seems satisfying. I don't mind the theme, the show was very big here in 90's and everybody knows about it (girls in swimming suits don't hurt the play value either), it has a lot of ramps, both standup and drop targets, bumpers, spinner (all the usual pinball elements) laid out in an interesting layout, several modes, two video modes, 4 flippers with neat shark-fin flipper thingie flipping on its own like in TAF, earthquake wizard mode, 5 ball multiball with several jackpot shots and a super jackpot to be achieved, 3 skill shots, possibility of a two 2 player teams playing against each other...all in all it seems deep and wide enough not to be boring after a while. I might be able to find one for the right price. I've never played one. I'm looking for replay value - having many things to do in it, in a different order each game. The question is...it seems like it has it all, but it is not receiving any love. Not many topics on it except for several vague comments here and there.....what is killing it for you?

-is it the theme? graphics? sounds? animations?

-is the game too easy (like LW3) ? I'd like a player's pin in a sense that it is not too easy and that it would challenge my shooting skills.

-is it too "clunky"/"not flowy"? how different those Sega flippers are compared to Williams/Bally?

-is it prone to malfunctions? big DMD display failure?

some background:
I own a WH20, and I don't have money for TAF, IJ, TZ, STTNG...although I would like to have them. I prefer The Shadow, based on your input I would probably wait for one although it would be with a higher price tag. Should I look into Black Rose, Johnny Mnemonic or Last Action Hero as alternatives (those appear in the ads)?

....then again, I have the beginning symptoms of a strong addiction to hoarding pinballs in the house and might just need an intervention and a strait jacket until it passes

thanks

#2 11 years ago

I've played quite a bit of Baywatch and I enjoy it. Just feels like a solid machine. It has decent flow (especially when you attempt the side ramp skill shot). I don't think any of the modes are stackable though. Shooting each shot 3 or 4 times starts the mode for that shot, that gets repetitive. After you rescue all the swimmers during multiball you have the option to collect shark jackpots at the shark scoop.

The only real problems this game often has is a tendency to jam balls in the shooter lane due to a poor autolaunch solenoid design. It tends to become misaligned which will cause it to be weak and cause balls to roll back down the launch habitrail. As for the display, if it works it works. Usually problems with these are because of a low 5v feed, but most games out there already have the 5v connector mod installed.

#3 11 years ago

I loved my Baywatch and never even got to play with the dmd it burnt up the first game after having in the house.I olny paid $450 for mine and it was in mint condition I sold it after a couple of months bc I could not find a dmd under 550$ but as far as flow and playfeild layout it was awesome has somewhat of a widebody feel to it very good game for the price I would love to find another someday

#4 11 years ago

I owned one and loved it. Only got rid of it because I wanted something new. I mostly played with the rules set more difficult so you had to first light the shots to collect them. Tourist Season is maybe one of my favorite modes ever (just because of the song). Getting to Earthquake mode always provided a good challenge too.

I know some people complained of flipper weakness trying to hit the guard tower, just install some stronger ones (LOTR specials) and you're good to go. Also installing a subwoofer really adds to the experience IMO.

#5 11 years ago

I just got thei title last weekend and enjoying it so far. Not sure it is a long time keeper for me yet but so far so good.

#6 11 years ago

Reason why, one word: SEGA

Kinda like taking the word "Yugo" and putting that badge on a Ferrari F40. Forrest for the trees, man.

I love Baywatch - the shark flipper cracked me up, and I'd gladly own one. Wouldn't think 2x if I didn't have TFTC.

#7 11 years ago

I think it's the theme and huge replacement costs if the large Dmd dies.

#8 11 years ago

Baywatch rules!

Yeah, it "feels like a Sega" but if the price is right, it's a lot of bang for the buck. Great layout, lots of flippers & ramps, lots of modes, cool giant DMD...I personally love the cheezey music - it puts me in a good mood.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think it's the theme and huge replacement costs if the large Dmd dies.

This is not directed towards you - just saying it now.

I don't understand that train of thought sometimes. To me, that's like saying "Well, I'd love to buy a Dodge Viper on my 6 digit income, but that gas guzzler tax man, I dunno, just kind of does it in for me."

I get it - this is a hobby - but if I see people popping 5 digit prices to buy a pinball machine, and then they say "no" to BW over a $400-$500 DMD - I just don't get that.

Are the DMDs scarce AND expen$ive or just expen$ive?

#10 11 years ago

Never played it, but the majority of guys i have talked to say there is quite a bit of fun, and its a solid game...

although i think the theme blows, i would love to give one a try..

#11 11 years ago

Baywatch is a great game! It has been in my small collection for several years. I still haven't got to the wizard mode and it is played weekly!

#12 11 years ago

Great game, buy one without hesitation.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Reason why, one word: SEGA
Kinda like taking the word "Yugo" and putting that badge on a Ferrari F40. Forrest for the trees, man.
I love Baywatch - the shark flipper cracked me up, and I'd gladly own one. Wouldn't think 2x if I didn't have TFTC.

I disagree with this statement. Fill in the blank - if it's not Williams it's crap. 99% of the parts are identical and Sega/stern/de designs are virtual copies of Williams designs. While some machines may have lacked some innovative designs, that is not the case with all of them. At least they branched out with larger display and had their own version of unique toy items on their decks.

Soon enough, these along with Gottliebs will be a virtual tie with the same era Williams brand

#14 11 years ago

Sega pinball had the right ideas and made pretty solid machines with some cool gimmicks, but none really hit a home run with the public (especially later) like Bally/Williams did around that time. They tried like hell, 13 ball multiball in apollo 13, spinning magnet disk on Twister, Glow in the dark balls, etc.

It's like Gottlieb. Their best pin from the 90's was Stargate, and even though it's a really good machine, the theme is not for everyone and not many people are Gottlieb fans. So the price remains reasonable.

As far as Baywatch goes , it's the theme, it's the dmd and also because Sega pinball is not often praised. The dmd costs about $450 and last I knew, only mad amusements carries them.

Personally, I have a soft spot for DE/Sega because they play so different and feel so different. They made some very fun pins.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from castlesteve:

Fill in the blank - if it's not Williams it's crap.

I'm failing to see how we disagree. That is PRECISELY why it gets no love, along with anything else that isn't 1992-1999 WMS (blanket statement, I know, but I'll say it).

My analogy was if you slapped a Yugo logo on a Ferrari F40, even though it's still a solid machine, that "Yugo logo" would do everyone in, and everyone would scatter even though there's nothing wrong with it.

#16 11 years ago

Vishay still makes the DMDs and the average going rate is $450. Not because it's huge, but because virtually nothing uses it. 4 pinball machines, and a couple of other games I believe. And you can pretty much forget about an LED replacement. Ugly gridlines and no market for that sort of thing.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from castlesteve:

I disagree with this statement. Fill in the blank - if it's not Williams it's crap. 99% of the parts are identical and Sega/stern/de designs are virtual copies of Williams designs. While some machines may have lacked some innovative designs, that is not the case with all of them. At least they branched out with larger display and had their own version of unique toy items on their decks.
Soon enough, these along with Gottliebs will be a virtual tie with the same era Williams brand

Quoted from NPO:

I'm failing to see how we disagree. That is PRECISELY why it gets no love, along with anything else that isn't 1992-1999 WMS (blanket statement, I know, but I'll say it).
My analogy was if you slapped a Yugo logo on a Ferrari F40, even though it's still a solid machine, that "Yugo logo" would do everyone in, and everyone would scatter even though there's nothing wrong with it.

I was puzzling over his statement too, but now I believe he means "I disagree with the following statement: 'If it's not Williams, it's crap' " and so *is* agreeing with you

#18 11 years ago

thank you, everyone, my suspicions were right - there isn't anything important wrong with the game, it just comes from the "wrong" neighborhood.

OFF TOPIC: as for YUGO...the factory where it was made is 150 km from my town My parents still have one (it's not their only car now, but it was in the 80s and 90s) that they bought new, it is 24 years old, passed more than 400 000 km (greater than the distance to the Moon, or 10 times the Earth circumference) and it is still in working order although fallen in a disrepair (dis-maintenance mostly). Everybody here drove one in the 80s and 90s. It breaks as any other car (even less since it is just a mechanical, not electronic car), but the replacement parts were ridiculously cheap (not many parts more expensive than $10-$20) and available everywhere. Now Italian Fiat Punto has taken that spot. And contrary to what Dan Aykroyd says in the movie - it is very much possible to have sex on the backseat of Yugo Half of Serbia nowadays is probably conceived in that way
...having said that now I'm leaving to find a repairman to end the malfunction nightmares that my 2002 french Peugeot is giving me these days with only 100 000 km under its belt (and it's been very costly to maintain it in the last 2 years since it is mine).

#19 11 years ago

I have a great Baywatch , everyone enjoys playing. Trading it and 2 others with Doughslinger, for WOZLE.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 259.00
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 22.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-no-love-for-baywatchtempted-to-buy-one-and-in-need-of-an-intervention?hl=baronmarto and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.