New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 99667)

Why no condom bulb LEDs??

By John_I

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by John_I
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-608.jpg
image-410.jpg
image.jpg
image-436.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
yellow bulbs.jpg
tamiya yellow.jpg
100_0163.JPG
100_0287.JPG

#1 6 years ago

I am setting up a Jurassic Park for Project Pinball to go into a children's hospital here in Florida. I am doing a full LED conversion to save on heat, since this thing will be up and running long hours. The game has a bunch of lamps with condoms on them at scoop and ramp entrances. Not being an LED guy, I figured there would be frosted LEDs which simulate the condom look. In other words they would be like a frosted LED only frosted in a color and not white. For instance a red condom LED would be red whether it is on or not. I tried putting the condoms on the frosted LED but it doesn't look good when lit. Conversely the frosted LEDs are all white when not lit so they look bad that way too!

Maybe I am missing something but there should be an LED that is fully colored whether lit or not.

#2 6 years ago

Well if the light being red when it is off is important you could probably take some regular red LEDs and give a light brushing of red acrylic hobby paint. Should be enough to frost it but will let some light through and keep the red color.

#3 6 years ago

I've wondered this before also. Though I doubt I would use them. I prefer colored incandescent in condom locations. Something about colored incandescent looks classy in my opinion.

#4 6 years ago

I think it's all a matter of economics.
LEDs today are the result of work in the Automotive sector... Automotive doesn't care what the unlit color of the bulb is.

The reality is that LEDs all come from the same basic sources... then are packaged according to needs. IE SMTs soldered to PCBs then a lens is attached. Maybe Comet or someone can find out if the manufactures can create colored lenses. Right now I'm guessing it's not economically feasible given the "demand" of said led.

#5 6 years ago

At these time we have sampled colored lens, and in general rejected them in this application.
The combination of the "just right" shape, with the "just right" brightness, would only suit this specific purpose.
So, it can be made, but not a priority, because in this bullet shape, Id likely need to do a minimum of 5000 pieces, and would take years to even consider a break even.

But I do think there is a solution, I think worth trying. Our Fluted bullets are the right size and shape, and very bright twin 2835. I am confident it is the brightest bulb you could "paint" with some type of color.
At $.69...its not a gamble of much. If they show out of stock, Tuesday, they should refill.

#6 6 years ago

The last real color frosted clear LED I found from pinballcenter Germany. This may sound nasty , but I reused the color condoms on MB creature scoop. ST:TNG , Data East STAR WARS . http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/t10-noflix-led-green-color-p-6308.html?language=english

100_0287.JPG 100_0163.JPG
#7 6 years ago

Time to change the main question in this thread then! In the absence of colored lens LEDs, what do people use when they replace a condom'ed bulb with an LED?

#8 6 years ago

Put the condom on a frosted white LED. Done.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

what do people use when they replace a condom'ed bulb with an LED?

If the LED is the type of frosted color that appears white when off trim the colored condom and place it over the LED. Or I find a vender that has clear color frosted as I linked above . http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/t10-noflix-led-green-color-p-6308.html?language=english

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Exactly what I did on the Creature sign on my MB. Green condoms over the white frosted LEDs looks great.

#12 6 years ago

Condom works well on retro led bulbs as well.....

#13 6 years ago

Ive always reused the condoms on a frosted led and it looks fine

#14 6 years ago

So to summarize this thread, condoms and children in hospitals.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

This is what I've done ... Looks fine to me. I did have to cut the end off of the condom, though, to make it shorter.

#16 6 years ago

For a lot of applications I actually prefer the white frosted bulbs, having them be white when off, and colored when lit works. Like the skull on Elvira and the Party Monsters, looks great with blank white eyes, and then red when lit.

For the cyclops though I used a white bulb condom over a white frosted LED. As noted you have to trim the condom a little to fit it. I painted an eye on the white, so it has a nice glowing eyeball. Looks great. No reason to ditch the condoms when they still make sense for the look.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

For a lot of applications I actually prefer the white frosted bulbs, having them be white when off, and colored when lit works. Like the skull on Elvira and the Party Monsters, looks great with blank white eyes, and then red when lit.
For the cyclops though I used a white bulb condom over a white frosted LED. As noted you have to trim the condom a little to fit it. I painted an eye on the white, so it has a nice glowing eyeball. Looks great. No reason to ditch the condoms when they still make sense for the look.

I would have to say that I think that the bare white frosted LED bulbs look pretty bad overall. I can't even imagine having something like that on my MB (in the Creature sign). The green condoms over them look way better.

#18 6 years ago

I use this paint from Tamiya to color the frosted and clear LED bulbs.
tamiya yellow.jpg

I just dip the dome into the paint an let it dry.
yellow bulbs.jpg

Been very happy with the results. They have this in red, blue, green, yellow and orange.

#19 6 years ago

In a couple of spots I have not liked the color of a frosted top LED showing white under a non-ribbed translucent colored insert. I have just popped on a thin silicone cap on it, and it then looks great both off and on. If you have the dippable paint that works too if it doesn't end up too thick.

If Comet could carry a super thin colored silicone/silicone like product (thinner than PBL's small thins) to slide onto any of his bulbs, for perhaps around the 10c each price -- just enough to hide the color of the dome--that would be the best solution, as you could then even use the colored ones over a warm or cool white when the real color (e.g. yellows and greens) just aren't a good enough match to the insert.

#20 6 years ago

I've used bulb condoms on LEDs under the playfield and in bumpers. For instance, I wanted to do some yellows and oranges on my Iron Man - but yellow and orange LEDs kinda suck...even the super bright ones. So - I just used white ones w/ a bulb condom - they look great!

#21 6 years ago

I bet you can use these Titan incandescent shaped LEDs with condoms.

https://www.titanpinball.com/products_detail.php?ProductID=28

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I bet you can use these Titan incandescent shaped LEDs with condoms.
https://www.titanpinball.com/products_detail.php?ProductID=28

Exactly. The shape of those is perfect for condoms.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly. The shape of those is perfect for condoms.

For LEDs with shorter domes, I've just snipped like 1/4 off the bottom of the condom and they usually fit nicely.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

For LEDs with shorter domes, I've just snipped like 1/4 off the bottom of the condom and they usually fit nicely.

Yeah, they fit, but they are noticeably shorter. Small nub.

#25 6 years ago

If you need bright, I have done condoms over just regular super bright LEDs, just fit them over the top.

#26 6 years ago

What happens if your condom breaks?

#27 6 years ago

Then the white stuff (light) will come through.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

baby bulbs......

image.jpg
#30 6 years ago

I could use a couple of those. What are the best type of LEDs to set together to produce me some of those?

#31 6 years ago

Standard #44 and Titan's smaller version. The end result will be the bulb has an overall smaller size with the traditional taller glass dome.

image-436.jpg
image.jpg

3 months later
#32 5 years ago

Here are some Titan warm white LEDs with condoms, both off and installed. They actually look a lot more like standard bulbs with these on. Their perfect incandescent-like shape lends to a perfect fit. I am very pleased with the results!

image.jpg
image-410.jpg
image-608.jpg

#33 5 years ago

Thanks for posting!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside