4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 233 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Spencer
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 25 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1013623_10152771534073893_3852574372951996401_n.jpg
    image.jpg
    015.JPG
    014.JPG
    013.JPG
    012.JPG
    011.JPG
    010.JPG
    009.JPG
    008.JPG
    002.JPG
    001.JPG
    image-729.jpg
    image.jpg
    DSCN3210.JPG
    DSCN3207.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldpinguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#123 4 years ago

Some things to share. It Does take an extra 7-15 minutes to ship a package to Canada, based on the amount of customs work.
    At some point an Employee, who would like to make $12 an hour, (which costs a company close to $20 an hour) is an average of $4 to a company to ship.
    Add to that if there are many different products, not just LED bulbs in my case, that need itemization.

Another consideration are box dimensions, as well as weight. A long ramp needs a box that costs $1.00 more plus packing material. Then a fragile object has to be separated from a heavy
    object, requiring a different additional box, or effort. Trying to stock the myriad of boxes for 1 ramp or two?
    So weight and dimension, not just $$ Spent.

Also is insurance. Many people dont wish to buy, but if a package is missing International, Customers expect not to lose. International packages are lost with a much higher frequency.

For us, I just reviewed our shipping to Canada, and we subsidize, meaning I spent 8% more then we charged. We use "average" costing, which will eventually go to weight/volume based.
    That means small orders will cost less, and heavy orders a little more.

Of course, the other joyous add on are customs fees.

This is more a neutral opinion, as I am not disagreeing with the Op, that any in between company has fees, and savings, but more so that the logistics, cost, cost of additional shipping area, etc, may be overlooked when comparing a $80 ramp, (Large Box) vs $80 in balls (heavy Box), vs a $80 MOD, (Same small Box), vs $80 LEDs, averaging a Medium Box.

In any case, I hope you can find a way to be happy with the Hobby, more then shipping woes, and believe that this post has not fallen on deaf ears.

1 week later
    #166 4 years ago

On Average, a small package 3-4 oz to Canada, is close to $8.00 in cost plus human time.
    Picking, packing and shipping lets say 15 minutes.
    Everyone wants fast and accurate. Here, thats $12 an hour paid, or $20 an hour with benefits and Cost of operating factored in. So $4-$5 to process an order. I can look up Amazon Primes self fulfillment Conract, but it was, as efficient as they are, a couple bucks too.
    So a US based business has at a minimum a $10 cost to send any product to Canada via USPS
    Maybe a little less, certainly much more with all variables of business.

#168 4 years ago

I am cheap, I started at the bottom.
    Say the company is in NY. add another $5.00 for time and $3 for cost of doing business.
    Software differences, and we have had many packages rejected by customs for simply putting "pinball parts" when inspected and boards, or other items are inside...what a pain.
    So some companies, and I have this conversation with friends and say people who ship as well from department store sites, as a cost of $20 per transaction to Canada...Internally we debate that number
    too.

So, outside pinball people speaking, because the net allows to shop for the lowest price.
    Profit margins are cut....Free shipping, Free gifts, Free Returns have been better "selling"
    options, but obviously cost something, companies can indeed choose to profit from shipping.

Look at all the TV info stuff..."plus shipping and handling" as an example.

As long as we know what the cost is, we can continue to shop the planet from your couch.

It is hard to get upset with any method or cost, as long as we know what you are paying.
    You just say no.

But faulting a company that has expenses and costs to stock and have that product etc, are often
    not understood in its entirety.

The cost for running a business from home vs 30 employees and 20,000 square feet.

Kinda hard to take the best features from one business...low cost shipping...and superimpose it on another.

#173 4 years ago

Now, It only means as a business makes this decision as to what to charge, their costs of operation
    vary based on many factors including the cost of Salaries, rents, insurance....
    These are not the same for a 10,000 square foot building across the country.

They can either add to the shipping cost or increase product prices for everyone..their choice to do so, your choice not to buy.

Maybe a better example is an ebay auction,

It can be listed for $.01 and $19.99 shipping (which ebay now polices)
    or $20.00 with free shipping...same cost.

It is up to a vendor to control, and it can have added profit.

I was addressing the question more so as why vendors may add more profit to Canadian shipments...
    they have there own reasons, and sometimes they dont make sense to me either.....

I was expressing more that the discussion on shipping costs, shipping speeds, is endless, but still in the hands of someone in a company that controls it, and they use different criteria to set that price.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 150.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 19.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 209.99
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 3.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 9.50
    Tools
    PinShield
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 17.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 114.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 11.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldpinguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside