4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 233 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Spencer
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 25 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1013623_10152771534073893_3852574372951996401_n.jpg
    image.jpg
    015.JPG
    014.JPG
    013.JPG
    012.JPG
    011.JPG
    010.JPG
    009.JPG
    008.JPG
    002.JPG
    001.JPG
    image-729.jpg
    image.jpg
    DSCN3210.JPG
    DSCN3207.JPG

There are 233 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 4 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Can we stop the name calling here. I just want this thread to address a specific problem and not see who`s got the biggest set of balls.

That's a bit rich-your post 130 started it!

#152 4 years ago

Just received another Mezel Mods order for $10 shipped. Customs didn't stop it either, good deal for me.

#153 4 years ago

Shipping within the US:
    Clearly so tedious.....

I can't speak for any of the other suppliers/vendors, nor for postal efficiency in other countries, but it just doesn't work that way in the US.

Most of GLM products can fit in a small flat rate box, which makes it about as simple as possible to ship things here in the US through the US postal service.

So if I'm shipping within the US, all I basically need to do is pack up the order, print out an invoice and a label and "walk" to my mailbox and I'm done. Maybe 10 minutes of my time for a simple domestic US order.

If it's outside of the US, then I have to fill out the customs forms (which, BTW, is more than 60 seconds online, it'd take me 5 minutes writing it out by hand at the post office). Then, because it is international, I can't put it in my mailbox, so I have to "drive" to the post office, wait in line with a bunch of people who didn't pre-print out their labels, didn't weigh their packages, hell didn't even bring "tape" to the party and then want to write a check. Hand my pre-printed, pre-paid package to the clerk, get asked a zillion questions about the contents, say "NO", get a receipt, leave, and then drive back. Basically around 1/2 hour (if I'm lucky) to ship a single international order. Super awesome when it's a $25 board.

I'm not defending any vendor's shipping prices, but just trying to push the point that shipping is NOT a simple matter and pretty much every business/business owner I have ever talked to agrees that it is a net loss activity. Especially for low dollar valued items. The lower the value, the higher the cost of packaging and shipping becomes to the seller to ship that item.

#154 4 years ago

Shipping something something to the states from Canada is literally a 60 second affair when you are at the post office. The form we fill is essentially your mailing address, the destination address, box content and price of materials.

Guy punches a few keystrokes, postage gets printed...done deal.

#155 4 years ago

Here's a pretty good example of why this frustrates us Canadians so much:

I live 4 miles from a border crossing, so in most cases I get everything sent to a package depot in WA state and pick it up there, in most cases, especially on amounts under $200, I don't get charged tax.

So I need a Stern opto board that only Marco has in stock at the moment, it's $39.99 + $5.99 shipping to the US, it's very small about 1"x 4", and weighs next to nothing, easily ship in the smallest padded envelope, and although it says 5-10 days, I've always had things from them arrive in under 4 days.

Now if I get the same board shipped 4 miles to the north, the cost goes up to $15 for the cheapest option, but that says 2 to 3 weeks delivery, to get the same level of shipping speed as to the US, the price goes up to a whopping $36+ for an envelope!! This of course doesn't include the $5 customs fee + 12% taxes that I would much more likely have to pay than when picking it up in the US.

So, $48 ($2 to the package depot) to pick it up in the states, or a possible close to $90 to have it come to my house. This is only made more frustrating by our low $ which at the moment is now below$.85, making that little opto board cost $110!

I'm lucky to be close enough to the border to have a choice, but for those who don't, I can't imagine how you do it.

#156 4 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

I don't sell on pinside.. Just a few too may whining babies. But you really don't have to namecall me. I know you are just jealous that I don't have to live under the rule and take orders from some devil-worshiping witch and her pedophile son.

#157 4 years ago

I'm sorry you don't know the taste of freedom from the monarchy. That doesn't make me a douchebag, that sort of makes you one. My forbearers chose correctly. YOur's were probably simple English criminals.

I think I'll go out and buy a TEC9 as a Christmas present to myself. I'll try to remember you disarmed serfs while plinking on the range this weekend.

Post edited by moderator: Thread eject.

#158 4 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

I'm sorry you don't know the taste of freedom from the monarchy. That doesn't make me a douchebag, that sort of makes you one. My forbearers chose correctly. YOur's were probably simple English criminals.
    I think I'll go out and buy a TEC9 as a Christmas present to myself. I'll try to remember you disarmed serfs while plinking on the range this weekend.

What an A-hole!

#159 4 years ago

It's funny watching him pretend to be American. Don't feed the troll folks.

#160 4 years ago
    Quoted from GLModular:

I can't speak for any of the other suppliers/vendors, nor for postal efficiency in other countries, but it just doesn't work that way in the US.
    Most of GLM products can fit in a small flat rate box, which makes it about as simple as possible to ship things here in the US through the US postal service.
    So if I'm shipping within the US, all I basically need to do is pack up the order, print out an invoice and a label and "walk" to my mailbox and I'm done. Maybe 10 minutes of my time for a simple domestic US order.
    If it's outside of the US, then I have to fill out the customs forms (which, BTW, is more than 60 seconds online, it'd take me 5 minutes writing it out by hand at the post office). Then, because it is international, I can't put it in my mailbox, so I have to "drive" to the post office, wait in line with a bunch of people who didn't pre-print out their labels, didn't weigh their packages, hell didn't even bring "tape" to the party and then want to write a check. Hand my pre-printed, pre-paid package to the clerk, get asked a zillion questions about the contents, say "NO", get a receipt, leave, and then drive back. Basically around 1/2 hour (if I'm lucky) to ship a single international order. Super awesome when it's a $25 board.
    I'm not defending any vendor's shipping prices, but just trying to push the point that shipping is NOT a simple matter and pretty much every business/business owner I have ever talked to agrees that it is a net loss activity. Especially for low dollar valued items. The lower the value, the higher the cost of packaging and shipping becomes to the seller to ship that item.

thanks for spelling it out for those who think that international shipping is simply one more step...

#161 4 years ago

Shipping something something to the states from Canada is literally a 60 second affair when you are at the post office. The form we fill is essentially your mailing address, the destination address, box content and price of materials.
    Guy punches a few keystrokes, postage gets printed...done deal.

This is true for smaller items, for larger ones it gets more difficult (especially with insurance) as: 1) US customs requires you to ship in a min size box (doesn't matter if it is a spring) - the box/envelope has to be large enough for the customs form to fit (can not bend around the edge), 2) all the info on the customs form has to be typed into the computer a pre-submitted to US customs (no idea why, just what I have been told). An easy 10-15 minutes once you get to the counter (and I always seem to get stuck behind some person that needs to send money via Western Union to some 3rd world and can barely speak English...grrrr).

#162 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

thanks for spelling it out for those who think that international shipping is simply one more step...

Sorry to disagree, if you ship via a program like STAMPS, it's a few clicks. I do it *every* day. It does not require filling out a paper form, standing in line, going to the PO. It's simply typing in a short description "Pinball Parts" is what is one of my drop downs, so all I do is type "P" and scroll down, then a value. That's it. Print postage.

#163 4 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

Sorry to disagree, if you ship via a program like STAMPS, it's a few clicks. I do it *every* day. It does not require filling out a paper form, standing in line, going to the PO. It's simply typing in a short description "Pinball Parts" is what is one of my drop downs, so all I do is type "P" and scroll down, then a value. That's it. Print postage.

Work harder, vs. working smarter I guess.

I used to use a similar program from Canada post all the time, but they managed to screw it up so you needed the person's phone number. A lot of people have (apparently) been using dummy numbers but I use it infrequently enough (these days) I just threw in the towel.

#164 4 years ago

Marco shipping is bad. Pinball Life isn't much better either. An $8.50 opto board which could fit into a padded envelope has a minimum $29.25US (So about 36.00 CDN) shipping cost for 6-10 business days.

I got a Bluray shipped through Amazon UK. A bluray is heavier, bigger and in this case has to travel way further. Cost me $6.00CDN to ship.

If it isn't Marco and Pinball Life ripping off their customers by padding their pocket with inflated shipping costs, then it must be the shipping companies themselves ripping everyone off.

#165 4 years ago

It's not only the pinball places also ebay shipping is nuts ,just for a 6 led 11 bucks too ship nuts

#166 4 years ago

On Average, a small package 3-4 oz to Canada, is close to $8.00 in cost plus human time.
    Picking, packing and shipping lets say 15 minutes.
    Everyone wants fast and accurate. Here, thats $12 an hour paid, or $20 an hour with benefits and Cost of operating factored in. So $4-$5 to process an order. I can look up Amazon Primes self fulfillment Conract, but it was, as efficient as they are, a couple bucks too.
    So a US based business has at a minimum a $10 cost to send any product to Canada via USPS
    Maybe a little less, certainly much more with all variables of business.

#167 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

On Average, a small package 3-4 oz to Canada, is close to $8.00 in cost plus human time.
    Picking, packing and shipping lets say 15 minutes.
    Everyone wants fast and accurate. Here, thats $12 an hour paid, or $20 an hour with benefits and Cost of operating factored in. So $4-$5 to process an order. I can look up Amazon Primes self fulfillment Conract, but it was, as efficient as they are, a couple bucks too.
    So a US based business has at a minimum a $10 cost to send any product to Canada via USPS
    Maybe a little less, certainly much more with all variables of business.

I'll pay $10.00 to get something shipped from the US any day. $30.00 for an envelope sized item though? If it costs a company an extra $20.00 over and above USPS charges to ship a small package then I would argue they are probably doing it wrong.

#168 4 years ago

I am cheap, I started at the bottom.
    Say the company is in NY. add another $5.00 for time and $3 for cost of doing business.
    Software differences, and we have had many packages rejected by customs for simply putting "pinball parts" when inspected and boards, or other items are inside...what a pain.
    So some companies, and I have this conversation with friends and say people who ship as well from department store sites, as a cost of $20 per transaction to Canada...Internally we debate that number
    too.

So, outside pinball people speaking, because the net allows to shop for the lowest price.
    Profit margins are cut....Free shipping, Free gifts, Free Returns have been better "selling"
    options, but obviously cost something, companies can indeed choose to profit from shipping.

Look at all the TV info stuff..."plus shipping and handling" as an example.

As long as we know what the cost is, we can continue to shop the planet from your couch.

It is hard to get upset with any method or cost, as long as we know what you are paying.
    You just say no.

But faulting a company that has expenses and costs to stock and have that product etc, are often
    not understood in its entirety.

The cost for running a business from home vs 30 employees and 20,000 square feet.

Kinda hard to take the best features from one business...low cost shipping...and superimpose it on another.

#169 4 years ago

I was looking for a 12n10l and came across one there http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/electronics/e_transistors.htm. $1.25 for the part and $ 22000.00 shipping to Canada.

#171 4 years ago

Makes sense now, I did not look past the 22000.00 and kept on searching for the part.

#172 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I am cheap, I started at the bottom.
    Say the company is in NY. add another $5.00 for time and $3 for cost of doing business.
    Software differences, and we have had many packages rejected by customs for simply putting "pinball parts" when inspected and boards, or other items are inside...what a pain.
    So some companies, and I have this conversation with friends and say people who ship as well from department store sites, as a cost of $20 per transaction to Canada...Internally we debate that number
    too.

Not sure what you are saying here. I don't care where the company is. There are certain fixed costs to ship a package right? The time to pick, package and post. You also have to deal with returns no matter where you send it. Maybe the package gets lost, damaged, all hazards of shipping anywhere.

From one pinball website, shipping a package to Montana at the cheapest option costs $7.40 cents. To ship it further to Calgary costs an extra $22.95 for a total of 29.95. Both packages have to be picked, packaged, shipping forms have to be filled out.

If that extra $22.95 is the cost of doing business with USPS, UPS or whomever and that is just what they add to their bill because we are "international", then I get that. It is big businesses fault, small business is getting boned to. If that extra $22.95 is because a few lines on custom form has to be filled out, or the international customer is getting charged extra on every shipment because "they're from Canada and customs might return it", then I call bullcrap.

Now I get it, the business owner probably doesn't care. A vast majority of their customers are from the US, so Canadians or other international guys can take it or leave it. Unfortunately for pinball parts there are not a lot of options up here, so we have to bend over and take it from time to time. Doesn't mean that we need to be grateful and understanding for the privilege.

#173 4 years ago

Now, It only means as a business makes this decision as to what to charge, their costs of operation
    vary based on many factors including the cost of Salaries, rents, insurance....
    These are not the same for a 10,000 square foot building across the country.

They can either add to the shipping cost or increase product prices for everyone..their choice to do so, your choice not to buy.

Maybe a better example is an ebay auction,

It can be listed for $.01 and $19.99 shipping (which ebay now polices)
    or $20.00 with free shipping...same cost.

It is up to a vendor to control, and it can have added profit.

I was addressing the question more so as why vendors may add more profit to Canadian shipments...
    they have there own reasons, and sometimes they dont make sense to me either.....

I was expressing more that the discussion on shipping costs, shipping speeds, is endless, but still in the hands of someone in a company that controls it, and they use different criteria to set that price.

#174 4 years ago

I just finished all the paperwork for shipping my crate of parts from Marco Specialties. Almost $2500 US of stuff. The crate measures 54" x 48" x 32" & the weight of 650 lbs. My Day & Ross Transport quote interlining with R & L Carriers (they go to Marco all the time) should be $400. I have Livingston International as my broker. Looks like $415 for all the fees, tax, & Canadian bond fee for entry into Canada.

So I'm buying heavy stuff: 800 leg bolts, 80 legs, 80 pinballs, 25 locks. Also getting fragile glass, electronic boards, & a bunch of light parts.

I will post how this pans out for shipping, & any problems. I know it has been very expensive getting small heavy boxes of parts from other vendors in the past.

I deal with Brennan all the time, & the staff there are very friendly.

The wooden crate I built looks small in the pictures. But it holds 15 individual glass boxes along the bottom. It could take more laying flat above them. Also I could ship playfields in the same crate.

DSCN3207.JPG
    DSCN3210.JPG

#175 4 years ago

an actual reference point for people...

today i shipped a bg from nj to tx via fedex ground, insured for $100... cost: 18.86

looking at the various shipping calculators, the cheapest method of shipping the exact same package to the uk... usps, cost: 71.50...

#176 4 years ago

$18.86 for such a fragile item insured is tremendous in my mind

#177 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

$18.86 for such a fragile item insured is tremendous in my mind

yup... i find fedex ground to be fairly priced with consistently good service... and the one claim i had to make (they destroyed an avr), they paid... i'm sure that others have had their problems with them, but i've shipped many items (including some high dollar ones) with them and remain happy...

shipping within the continental us is actually very reasonable for most things that will fit in a reasonably sized box and do not weigh a zillion pounds...

#178 4 years ago

Well I finally got the package on Friday which means it took the package 44 days to travel roughly 1100 miles or 25 miles/day.

As well this is funny but can someone explain how come I have Belgium postage on an American order?

image-729.jpg
    image.jpg

#179 4 years ago

As well this is funny but can someone explain how come I have Belgium postage on an American order?

Ok, thats messed up !

#180 4 years ago

Bizarre-needs to be taken up with Marco.

#181 4 years ago

Maybe their supplier is in Belgium and it was easier to send your items directly from the manufacturer?

Maybe iglobalstores sends your stuff halfway around the world the have it cost you more money and waste more time?

Maybe Belgium has a top of the line box crushing facility; it seems that your package has been sent through some degree of box crushing.

#182 4 years ago

Crushing is an understatement lol. But like I said, only a few decals, a target and a few posts.

#183 4 years ago

Every time I order from Marco I have to wait until my order exceeds $500, preferable close to $1000. Only way I can justify the (still insane), shipping.

#184 4 years ago

Just order through Starburst.

#185 4 years ago

looks like santa had too much drinks about 3 weeks ago.

#187 4 years ago

As well this is funny but can someone explain how come I have Belgium postage

Does IGlobal have an office for approving and checking shipments, there in Belgium???

#188 4 years ago

The other funny thing is the package items description was "auto parts"

#189 4 years ago

A year ago Iglobal lost a package from Marco to me. It took almost 2 months for them to get it to me. The items were no priority, luckily. The Marco box was all taped up, sealed with their tape. It was inside a larger box with Iglobal written all over it.

#190 4 years ago

Here is some good news. I received my crate back & everything was well packed. Had lots of steel parts, electronic boards, & a Medusa glass. Took less than 1 week transport from Lexington, to Halifax. They had a lot of cardboard & empty boxes at the top.

If I know the crate is coming back, & you can pick up the stuff here in Halifax. You can place a order through me. It makes sense only to people in Atlantic Canada, who would be going to Halifax for shopping or appointments. Definitely worth it for steel stuff, & other items.

Also for all the complaints about the naked legs, they were all not rusted, & still had the factory oiling on them lightly.

Marco might be reordering glass, so I might have the crate coming back towards the end of February.

001.JPG
    002.JPG
    008.JPG
    009.JPG
    010.JPG
    011.JPG
    012.JPG
    013.JPG
    014.JPG
    015.JPG

3 weeks later
    #191 4 years ago

I went to place and order today with Marco and the total for the parts was $53.94 in US dollars, when I went to checkout with iglobal the total in Canadian dollars was $72.19 which does not include prepaid taxes. The exchange rate right now is about 20% but the difference between $53.94 US and the $72.19 Canadian iglobal is showing is almost 35%. I emailed marco pinball to find out what is up.

#192 4 years ago

I need to pay more attention to postage costs it seems
    image.jpg

#193 4 years ago
    Quoted from dyno:

I went to place and order today with Marco and the total for the parts was $53.94 in US dollars, when I went to checkout with iglobal the total in Canadian dollars was $72.19 which does not include prepaid taxes. The exchange rate right now is about 20% but the difference between $53.94 US and the $72.19 Canadian iglobal is showing is almost 35%. I emailed marco pinball to find out what is up.

Hate to burst your bubble, but the exchange rate is right around 25%, but that's not what you will get at the bank or from any company, they always take an extra piece. Best rate at TD Bank right now is
    1.2834, iglobal is just taking it that much further.

Reading this thread, no way will I get anything ever from anyone if it has to come thru iglobal, seems like a lazy way for the seller to ship, and very costly for the buyer in terms of time and money.

#194 4 years ago

The only people worse than Marco for shipping are Starburst and they're shipping within Canada.

Was trying to order 5 shooter sleeves... $5 for the sleeves, 30 bucks shipping. LOL

#195 4 years ago

25% sounds right with the way the dollar is going but still iglobal is charging still an extra 10% on top of that. I contacted Marco Pinball and they got back to me quickly, they person who got back to me said she has contacted the main contact at iglobal telling them they need to resolve this immediately so hopefully something will come of it. I don't mind paying the extra 25% that's just how the dollars is but to have another 10% squeezed out of me doesn't work for me.

#196 4 years ago

If you think Marco is bad, check out the price I got from Big Daddy.

1013623_10152771534073893_3852574372951996401_n.jpg

#197 4 years ago
    Quoted from YKpinballer:

The only people worse than Marco for shipping are Starburst and they're shipping within Canada.
    Was trying to order 5 shooter sleeves... $5 for the sleeves, 30 bucks shipping. LOL

Starburst does have ridiculous prices. They need cheaper shipping options within Canada.

#198 4 years ago

Here is the explanation iglobal gave Marco pinball for there exchange rate:

" This is actually not an error. Typically what happens, if an international consumer were to check out, with almost any online retailer in the US, is their transaction is settled in USD not a foreign currency like AUD, CAD or GBP. This can look good up front, but will end up costing more in the end due to FX (foreign exchange) fees and foreign transaction fees. FX fees are charged by Visa, MC, AMEX, Paypal, etc. and the foreign transaction fees are charged by the bank that issues the card, i.e. Bank of America, Chase, Wells Fargo and Barclays. Between the FX fee and the foreign transaction fee the amount charged to international consumers can increase up to an additional 10-13%.

To help your/our international customers we utilize a service that enables us to settle in foreign currencies, like AUD, CAD GBP, etc., and provide a guaranteed landed cost so the customers are not surprised when they examine their credit card statement. Unfortunately, there is a cost to provide this service, hence the difference in the foreign exchange, and it looks slightly more expensive upfront, though it is ultimately cheaper.

In this particular case, it is an increase of 6.5%, much lower than what they would pay if we did not provide this service.

This is a complicated topic and I would be more than happy to discuss it with you in more detail. We are looking at how we are currently informing customers in regards to the guaranteed settlement amount and working on making the advantages as clear as possible."

I have changed my order with Marco pinball to bare bones of what I was planning to buy and will be ordering the rest from pinball life, the stuff I will be getting from marco pinball is stuff pinball life unfortunately doesn't carry.

#199 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

If you think Marco is bad, check out the price I got from Big Daddy

You need to read the big shipping disclaimer they provide on why they put $22,000 in shipping.
    http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/faq.html#minimumorder

#200 4 years ago

You need to read the big shipping disclaimer they provide on why they put $22,000 in shipping.

That's just stupid. I ended up ordering from him through ebay for basically the same parts, so all it did was cost him extra ebay fees, and it makes his site look broken.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 123.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 75.00
    € 159.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    FlipperLED
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 64.00
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 84.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 64.00
    $ 28.95
    $ 109.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 76.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    There are 233 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside