Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Pinstein
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“OBO means its okay to ask what % below listing without being insulting”

• 1% 1 vote
      1%
    • 5% 8 votes
      8%
    • 10% 44 votes
      44%
    • 15% 13 votes
      13%
    • 20% 15 votes
      15%
    • 25% 18 votes
      18%

(Multiple choice - 99 votes by 97 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    image4 (resized).jpeg
    image3 (resized).jpeg
    image2 (resized).jpeg
    image1 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0514 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5351 (resized).jpeg
    There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 8 months ago

Why list games obo if your gonna cry about low offers. Don't list obo if you don't want offers.. stop being little bitches. Please just list price as firm if y'all don't wanna negotiate, it makes it better for both parties involved.

#2 8 months ago
    Quoted from Mcgringoloco:

Why list games obo if your gonna cry about low offers. Don't list obo if you don't want offers.. stop being little bitches. Please just list price as firm if y'all don't wanna negotiate, it makes it better for both parties involved.

Someone not accept your low ball offer I assume?

#3 8 months ago

Bless your heart

#4 8 months ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

Someone not accept your low ball offer I assume?

Yea OP, provide screen caps of your offer vs asking price!

#6 8 months ago
    Quoted from Boat:

Yea OP, screen caps of your offer vs asking price!

listed for 9600, i offered 8500.. i didn't see that as too crazy....he could have just 1.respectfully declined, 2. Make a counteroffer... or possibly kept me in mind in the future if he wanted to ever go lower.

#7 8 months ago

Interested which Stern Premium title this was..... something like TMNT Prem I could see... STh on the other hand...not so much.

#8 8 months ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Interested which Stern Premium title this was..... something like TMNT Prem I could see... STh on the other hand...not so much.

????tmnt prem was 7599 new last week....i thought the market was done wanting more than distros are offering new

#9 8 months ago

added a poll for general consensus.

#10 8 months ago

????tmnt prem was 7599 new last week....i thought the market was done wanting more than distros are offering new

It was an anecdote. The last couple of years, used market sellers tend to sell for intrinsic or "I paid this much so I'm getting that much back" mentality.

#11 8 months ago

You can offer whatever you want. Who cares if they got offended? They asked for offers. Noone has a gun to their head. Mark it firm if you have a price in mind..

#12 8 months ago

listed for 9600, i offered 8500.. i didn't see that as too crazy....he could have just 1.respectfully declined, 2. Make a counteroffer... or possibly kept me in mind in the future if he wanted to ever go lower.

I personally find this offer to be completely within the realm of acceptable OBO territory.

I will say however, that while I may not be offended at someone offering a lowball price… it seems like more often than not the person doing so gets offended when you don’t reply or just reply with something like “no” or “not a chance”.

I guess I am saying - stop being outraged and move on.

#13 8 months ago
    Quoted from skink91:

I personally find this offer to be completely within the realm of acceptable OBO territory.
    I will say however, that while I may not be offended at someone offering a lowball price… it seems like more often than not the person doing so gets offended when you don’t reply or just reply with something like “no” or “not a chance”.
    I guess I am saying - stop being outraged and move on.

Agreed 100%. Same thing when people offer a trade of a shitty em a raven and $100 for a stern pro. Tell them fuck off and move on.

#14 8 months ago

When I list OBO, that means I'm up to all kinds of different offers; cash, trades, trades +- cash.

I think some people believe OBO means "shoot me a lowball offer". You can't be upset when their idea of OBO differs from yours.

#15 8 months ago

Where’s the listing? I want offer a lower offer now that the machine is wrapped in controversy!

#16 8 months ago

....he could have just 1.respectfully declined, 2. Make a counteroffer... or possibly kept me in mind in the future if he wanted to ever go lower.

So what DID the seller do that upset you?

#17 8 months ago

This is the wrong way to offer: "How about $xxxx?" That leaves the seller feeling devalued and insulted and defensive.

Better is something like "I'll offer $xxxx, let me know if you want to do that, if you get a better offer or don't want to go that low then no worries." Keeps everybody's options open with no pressure.

#18 8 months ago

If they disrespected your offer after putting “OBO” in their listing, probably got out lucky. A real jerk would have had you show up and then say they got a better offer right before you arrived.

They don’t even have to put “firm”, just don’t put OBO.

#19 8 months ago

That’s not crazy and not as low as I expected. I say 10-15% below is more than acceptable. Gives you both a starting point if one wants to sell and one wants to buy.

#20 8 months ago
    Quoted from NPO:

It was an anecdote. The last couple of years, used market sellers tend to sell for intrinsic or "I paid this much so I'm getting that much back" mentality.

Quoted from BudManPinFan:

So what DID the seller do that upset you?

Block/ignore me... Now I can't see the ad anymore.. I was being sincere in wanting the game, I could have offered more but I honestly thought the reason for obo was to start conversation and find a middle ground.

#21 8 months ago

Block/ignore me... Now I can't see the ad anymore.. I was being sincere in wanting the game, I could have offered more but I honestly thought the reason for obo was to start conversation and find a middle ground.

Yeah, if they put OBO on the ad they should at least respond back and say ‘that’s too low’. Seems counter productive to just block people who make offers if they really want to sell the pin.

#22 8 months ago

Buyer: "Hi, I can offer you $8500 cash and a quick pickup, if that works for you please let me know, otherwise I hope you'll keep me in mind should things change"

Seller: "thank you for the offer but that's lower than I'm willing to go for this. I will keep your offer in mind if anything changes" OR "thank you but I can't go that low, i could do XXXX if that helps but that's my bottom line"

It's really not that hard

#23 8 months ago

Yeah, not worth dealing with if even half of what you posted is true. Move on and find the next one.

#24 8 months ago

This is a common topic. “Price is firm” and “Or best offer” seem pretty self explanatory. I have seen many Pinsiders that don’t agree and can’t let it go.

My personal opinion is as follows. If the price is listed as “firm”, I don’t make any offers below that. If I think it’s too high, I don’t reach out to the seller at all.

If it says “OBO”, I might make an offer. If it offends them, it’s not intentional. I’m totally fine being ignored or replied to. If they reply with something ugly, I don’t reply back.

It’s clear from the above that I prefer to avoid drama. I will pass on a game that I really want in order to avoid drama or difficult people. Life is too short for that stuff.

#25 8 months ago

My favorite opener from a buyer: “what’s the lowest you’ll take?” Adults seriously do this. As if they were born yesterday.

#26 8 months ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

My favorite opener from a buyer: “what’s the lowest you’ll take?” Adults seriously do this. As if they were born yesterday.

Proper answer should be another question: ‘what’s the most you will pay?’

#27 8 months ago

O.B.O means that you are willing to negotiate price, right? The sad truth is that some people just can't negotiate. They don't have that ability. 8500 was a very good offer on an OBO ad on a $9600 ask. If I was the one selling it I would have countered and we would have went back and forth and settled on a price. I would guess 9K is the magic number. When I list an OBO ad, I already know what I really need to get, but I list it for what I am hoping to get...then I will negotiate. Nothing will make me walk away faster than an ad that says 'FIRM" or someone that says OBO but is unwilling to even counter offer. If you can't counter offer you really shouldn't OBO either.

#28 8 months ago

OBO no longer means, "If it doesn't sell for what I'm asking, I'll accept the highest offer."
    OBO now means, "I started an auction and my price is the opening bid."

#29 8 months ago

I think anyone can offer whatever they want. If the seller doesn’t like the offer, they can simply say - No.

#30 8 months ago

I think most people list OBO when they either A, already know that they're too high or B have had it listed for a while and are now desperate. To me, OBO means that you're prepared to sell something for the best offer you get. After all, that would be the market price.

#31 8 months ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

OBO no longer means, "If it doesn't sell for what I'm asking, I'll accept the highest offer.

Nah. It still means best offer for most of us that understand what obo means.

#32 8 months ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

Nah. It still means best offer for most of us that understand what obo means.

As a seller, yes. As a buyer, I've run into the auction situation many times.

#33 8 months ago

#34 8 months ago

You made your best offer and he ignored you.
    Doesn’t matter why just move on
    Plenty more games out there to buy!

#35 8 months ago

Yup happens too everyone more on tons and tons of games out there

#36 8 months ago

Always thought it was implied if you don't mark firm, so no point in marking OBO.

#37 8 months ago
    Quoted from Vino:

You made your best offer and he ignored you.
    Doesn’t matter why just move on
    Plenty more games out there to buy!

Agree. If not sold in some time, OP should just offer more and maybe the seller would be more interested? Time helps in some cases.

#38 8 months ago

I have never been insulted by a low offer, If the offer is within reason I counter, if it’s ridiculously low, I just thank them for their interest.

As for haggling, it made me think of this scene from the Monty Python movie Life of Brian (a classic).. “this bloke won’t haggle”

#39 8 months ago

OBO always means best offer over and above what any and all pinside cheapskates are willing to pay.

#40 8 months ago

Who knows, maybe the seller got lowball offers all day and got fed up, decided to block everyone and ignored them. We may never know but the good part is there is more sellers and other buyers. Not everyone thinks it's important to be nice to other people in life.

#41 8 months ago
    Quoted from rrss:

When I list OBO, that means I'm up to all kinds of different offers; cash, trades, trades +- cash.
    I think some people believe OBO means "shoot me a lowball offer". You can't be upset when their idea of OBO differs from yours.

Hate to break it to you but your definition of OBO isn’t what it is.

#42 8 months ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

Hate to break it to you but your definition of OBO isn’t what it is.

In my mind, OBO means I've built a little bit of a cushion into the price if someone is willing to show up quickly with cash and make things easy. But if you're starting with an offer $1100 below asking and it's only been listed recently, I'm not sure you're within your rights to complain too much.

#43 8 months ago

If what you say is true, why would you even want to do business with that Pinsider? I'd take it as "I dogged a bullet" and move on. Again, assuming what you say is accurate.

With that said, you were within the realm of OBO given the current market, a bit on the low end of what any sane seller would take, but still OBO worthy. I suggest taking a deep breath and move on! Something like this should be such a low priority in your life.

#44 8 months ago

I actually do the same thing on eBay, Offerup, etc, I block all low ballers and don't reply. I've tried being "the good guy" in the past and replying, etc, only to be met with lectures, excuses, stories, but it's for my kid, it's the holidays, and on and on and on. It's nothing personal, but if you've been selling stuff for decades dealing with low ballers becomes positively draining and exhausting.

#45 8 months ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

I actually do the same thing on eBay, Offerup, etc, I block all low ballers and don't reply. I've tried being "the good guy" in the past and replying, etc, only to be met with lectures, excuses, stories, but it's for my kid, it's the holidays, and on and on and on. It's nothing personal, but if you've been selling stuff for decades dealing with low ballers becomes positively draining and exhausting.

Agreed. Right up there with constant emails of "What's your BEST price for X?" or "What if I'm paying CASH?" -- Happens a lot more than you think, and freaking forget about selling stuff on Facebook Marketplace.

#46 8 months ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Understandable, but not apples to apples. Two totally different audiences. I would imagine your odds of running across a "beggar" on pinside is slim and none!

#47 8 months ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

OBO no longer means, "If it doesn't sell for what I'm asking, I'll accept the highest offer."

Yup, this is very well said. OBO listings drive me nuts when sellers get offers and just keep bumping their ad. Hey buddy, if you have an offer or offers and aren’t accepting the best one no matter how low they are then it’s not OBO.

#48 8 months ago

The whole block ignore feature on this site eventually will make the forum pointless. I swear every other thread now someone is saying something about being blocked and not being able to see someone else’s comments. Bunch of grown men acting like babies and using ignore or block instead of just telling the other guy to shut their fucking mouth or taking it to PM.
    Especially over an offer. Jesus what’s next blocking people because they don’t like your line up?
    That seller could’ve just said “sorry guy that’s too low” or just not even responded to you. It’s like this place is turning into Pinbook.

#49 8 months ago

I mean, I’m not sure why this post is so angry, but I also don’t understand the pearl clutching by some when they receive a low ball. Some take it VERY personally, and I’ll never understand that.

I always list OBO. If I get a low ball, I respond with the lowest I’ll be willing to sell the game. It’s that simple.

#50 8 months ago

Listed a shadow for 6500 and got an offer for 4600. I didn’t drive to his house and murder his family. Just declined and said what I would be willing to drop the price to.

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.