Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

01c800f4dd827f98e784c3cdcc09b3db068eab4697 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2304 (resized).JPG
    s583207973742842823_p75_i17_w640 (resized).jpeg
    eGaud3a2UKPCLEp3ftCBzlBeDXUO9pk9igkusYcAJKE (resized).jpg
    62-000015-01_Clearplayfieldprotector (resized).jpg
    39 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 5 years ago

Bally did it in the 80s

Marsaplay did it again in 2009 on the first game to have a LCD monitor as a backbox display

But players only like the feel and sound of a ball rolling on dimpled wood.

(note the tubular steel rails needed to keep the MFD from sagging:

39 (resized).jpg39 (resized).jpg

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Ok they tried in the 80's..... what almost 40 years ago.

They did it again in 2009 - so 9 years ago, and players were still not loving it.

Anyone who wants a plastic playfield for any title, can just get a clear plastic overlay for $100

Hell, JJP will even install it for you at the factory, for an extra $50
    62-000015-01_Clearplayfieldprotector (resized).jpg62-000015-01_Clearplayfieldprotector (resized).jpg

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Just trying to come up with ideas to speed up the process of getting the playfields out to the public, without waiting years and years hoping they will be made.

We just need more companies making reproduction playfields.

We used to have IPB, Mirco, CPR, AK & Greatwitch

Now we are down to 2, at the same time that the market for repos is at an all time high.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

I think a quality phenolic material would be perfect.

Bally did some Xenons out of phenolic in 1979

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

Plastic ifs awesome idea and I think it could outperform any plywood out there..and it would be mold resistant as well.

It's heavy as hell ( a 1/2" sheet of plywood is 20 lbs, a 1/2" sheet of plastic is 100 lbs

It wears out the router bits out much faster.

It has to be routed at a lower speed

You have to heat up each screw before driving it in so the plastic does not crack

It sags under it's own weight, so you need metal side rails.

It does make the baddest ass looking pinball machine ever

eGaud3a2UKPCLEp3ftCBzlBeDXUO9pk9igkusYcAJKE (resized).jpgeGaud3a2UKPCLEp3ftCBzlBeDXUO9pk9igkusYcAJKE (resized).jpg
    #30 5 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Wood and a PETG veneer with artwork printed on the underside is the best of both worlds. No clear coat or wear issues but still cheap, light and easy to work with. Homepin Thunderbirds is using this method, maybe Team Pinball Mafia too.

That is what we have now with the Outside Edge overlays.

So people who like those, would be the obvious customers for a playfield like that.

http://www.pinballgifts.com/hardtop.html

s583207973742842823_p75_i17_w640 (resized).jpegs583207973742842823_p75_i17_w640 (resized).jpeg
    #37 5 years ago

Aluminum would be great, except for that it would weigh 60 pounds, dimple like crazy, and conduct electricity.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Phenolic sheets should get another go. It drills similar to wood, and is very rigid/dimensionally stable. I've used it in some manufacturing applications like high production count material runout tables, and I've been quite impressed.

It's expensive ($1500 a 4x8 sheet), heavy (4x heavier than plywood), and wears your tooling out fast.

I can't see Stern spending the extra cash, but maybe some new joint will open that will sell "Ultra Premium Replacement Playfields" if the market will support it.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

a pinball is just a smaller version of a bowling alley.

Exactly.

And just like pinball, every 5 years the lanes get refinished with a new top coat and new graphics.

If you ever throw 2 balls at once (like in the movies) the gate comes down and blocks the 2nd ball, so you have to walk out and pick up the ball.

The angle of the lighting when walking back will show you how dented up the lanes are.

01c800f4dd827f98e784c3cdcc09b3db068eab4697 (resized).jpg01c800f4dd827f98e784c3cdcc09b3db068eab4697 (resized).jpg
    #58 5 years ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Vid I don’t own any JJP pins and never heard of the “installed at the factory” option before.
    what’s the feedback been as far as pros/cons?

People that worry about playfield dimples love it.

People who like the sound and feel of a standard playfield dont.

In a noisy bar on route, most people probably never notice.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-keep-using-wood-for-playfields?tu=vid1900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.