Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

01c800f4dd827f98e784c3cdcc09b3db068eab4697 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2304 (resized).JPG
    s583207973742842823_p75_i17_w640 (resized).jpeg
    eGaud3a2UKPCLEp3ftCBzlBeDXUO9pk9igkusYcAJKE (resized).jpg
    62-000015-01_Clearplayfieldprotector (resized).jpg
    39 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

That is what we have now with the Outside Edge overlays

I have the space shuttle overlay, haven't installed it yet. People today are putting such thick automotive clear on their restored playfields these days I don't know that people truly care about balls rolling around on wood, because they aren't.. They're rolling on polyurethane. Once the paint is ruined on a wood playfield, you're either attempting to touch it up yourself, completely stripping both sides of the playfield to have it professionally touched up, or you're still stripping everything off but swapping out the playfield from CPR.

Wood will continue to be used probably forever more for playfields (at least as the main base), but I like the idea of art on a sheet that can easily be replaced. It's like people that ask "why are we still using asphalt for roads, why aren't we making roads out of solar panels?". Because asphalt is really cheap, it's pretty durable, and even when it wears down you still get a good grip.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

would there be a benefit to making 5 or 6-ply surfaces from plastic? It sounds like we are making assumptions about a solid sheet of whatever material. What about thin layers epoxied together to be a bit lighter?

I don't think there would be any weight savings to layering plastic, you'd have the same density (plywood has air because it's engineered glued particles). Also how would you merge plastic layers? If you use an epoxy that's a lot of labor (expensive), you might as well make a sheet of carbon fiber. If you tried merging them with heat (like ultrasonic) you could potentially melt it where you don't want to and compromise the outside surfaces, maybe even warp the whole thing.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-keep-using-wood-for-playfields?tu=toyotaboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.