(Topic ID: 126599)

Why is there nothing for sale? Who's hoarding?

By bobWeir

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 217 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by metallik
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

download.jpg
    Silverball 02.JPG
    Silverball 01.jpg
    SNow Derby 01.jpg
    00-tuck0[1].jpg
    lad5.jpg
    DSC00073.JPG
    DSC00038.JPG
    DSC00045.JPG
    DSC00043.JPG
    DSC00071.JPG
    Transporter 0.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_0333.JPG
    102_0252.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Also noticed supply of high quality popular em's is diminishing and same goes for Gottlieb 1950's woodrails.

My last purchase was for a 1950s woodrail, $150 but needing a ton of work. So that is one solution - buy the games nobody really want, you can still get a good deal on those.

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

It doesn't bother me when people have a shit ton of machines. It bothers me when they have a shit ton of machines just for the sake of having them and hardly ever play them. It's like leaving an unloved dog in a shelter.

Or having more than one of a certain machine in cold storage with no real plan to ever bring them back to life. The horror.

lad5.jpg
    #131 4 years ago
    Quoted from clone97:

Wasteful to who???... The guy who doesn't have one, or someone who had the foresight to buy it back in the day.

What is meant,IMO, is the difference between a hoarder treating the machine as a commodity versus a hobbyist who would get the machine to a playable state. There's also a difference between a collector who simply gets carried away and buys too many to have time to bring them back to life and those who store them with absolutely no intention of doing anything to them, it doesn't benefit the hobby at all to do that - because here is a machine that could be made to enjoy again or at least supplant parts for another hobbyist to improve another machine. That's what is defined as being wasteful as far as a real pinball hobbyist is concerned.

#135 4 years ago
    Quoted from clone97:

Those games in cold storage are being just that, stored.... They will not only outlive both of us put together but will be around for future gamers.

Hopefully, you'll put someone in charge of your estate that knows enough to get your hoarded games back into the hobby circle, instead of in a trash heap. The true pinball hobbyists will be waiting for your demise.

#137 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Well that's not very nice.

Hey man, I left out *anxiously*

#139 4 years ago

Y'all know the law of supply and demand, right? So if the supply is driven down by unnecessary hoarding and the demand is high, the prices go up for everyone else. I can forgive those who are actually planning to do something with them. Those who just shove 'em in storage somewhere with no definite purpose, are of no benefit to the hobby IMHO.

#140 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Well that's not very nice.

...and neither is it to hide games in storage forever so nobody can enjoy them.

And now I'll climb down off my soapbox, because those folks are not going to listen anyways.

#146 4 years ago
    Quoted from waltrr:

Are you considered a hoarder if you do restore them to play but slowly?

No, if you are intending to restore, or you play them...even if you just maybe jumped on a few that were "good deals" and you just have not had the time for them...you are, what I call, and "active pinball hobbyist". It's the people who buy them, store them away just to sell them off at a higher price later or die with them...that I have a problem with. They are simply a detriment to the hobby. There is no contribution to the hobby from them.

#154 4 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

You say that as if you think those folks care about the hobby...they don't. I'm certain this happens in every other hobby as well. There are the hoarder types that collect stuff for the sake of having it. There are also the types that collect in the hopes that "someday" they'll be worth something and they'll be able to sell them for a profit.
    The people who do that aren't helping to get games into homes and increase the hobby, that's for sure, but I don't think they really care.

This is true. I certainly cannot read minds, nor can anything I say out here influence anyone that doesn't care about the hobby. I enjoy getting these old beauties running, I've passes a few on to grateful collectors, and if I have no interest in doing that with a particular game, I let someone else go for it. Sue me if I think the hoarders are doing a disservice to the pinball hobby. The folks that are in it that actually give a crap know who they are, and so do the money grubbing hoarders- even if they won't admit it.

#157 4 years ago

Newbie buyers at least are attempting to get a pin to play or restore. B are the worst.

#165 4 years ago

Yeah, I just looked again...
    Nothing new on CL here. Just the same Bally Knockout for $600 and restored HS for $2800 that have been there for weeks along with 2 dozen ads for other non pinball items. I don't think were going to see a bunch of new pin ads just because of the KISS release.

#180 4 years ago

Family gathering and we had no 20-30 years olds trying to play pinball. They sat on the deck texting and and smoking E cigs, while a few of us 40-50 year olds played some pinball. To think that the younger generation is going to sustain the pinball hobby at its current level is just ludicrous.

#205 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Our weekly tournaments have about half our players in the the 21-30 bracket.
    Must be a location thing.

We have a pinball group in town that runs tournaments and I am sure has some folks in that age bracket - I just don't think that representative of a large number of the population, and that it would be able to sustain pinball interest at current levels in the long haul. My own kids 21 and 23 could care less about pinball, and they have a free play arcade in my basement.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    £ 55.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 28.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 115.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 22.00
    Hardware
    The MOD Couple
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    € 95.00
    Lighting - Led
    FlipperLED
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 229.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 289.00
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 229.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside