(Topic ID: 126599)

Why is there nothing for sale? Who's hoarding?

By bobWeir

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 217 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by metallik
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download.jpg
    Silverball 02.JPG
    Silverball 01.jpg
    SNow Derby 01.jpg
    00-tuck0[1].jpg
    lad5.jpg
    DSC00073.JPG
    DSC00038.JPG
    DSC00045.JPG
    DSC00043.JPG
    DSC00071.JPG
    Transporter 0.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_0333.JPG
    102_0252.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thedefog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#95 8 years ago

Once the market his saturation and people run out of space, there will be an abundance of them for sale. Give it a few years.

#107 8 years ago
    Quoted from brenna98:

Especially now that prices are high.
    Who knows what the future of the market will be... The newer generations may not care about pinball and you all could end up with a huge collection that isn't worth anything to anyone but yourself.

Once a price ceiling has been clearly establish (in which case it has with WOZ JJP & MM circa 2012) it will not go back up there again until the next crash/rebound. So it is only downhill from here. I don't expect a dramatic fast drop, and it is currently spreading itself out. Those ultra high 8K+ prices have just migrated to other machines. As more new games are produced, the prices of these overly priced B & C list games will drop as the spread of $$$ will fall onto them instead.

#108 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I will admit to having pins on their backs. However, they are pins I want and found them for better prices so I bought them. I will eventually refurbish them all, but there is only so much time.
    If anyone local to me is interested in borrowing a game and doing a full tear down, cleaning, resleeving, fresh rubber, LEDs, etc... then let me know. I have done agreements in the past where I loan out a game and pay for all the appropriate parts. You get to keep the game for a set time frame and play it after you get it and clean it up. Currently I have a glut of games that need a little love and other project going on. I will still continue to buy games even with others not currently operational, but I have a plan in place for them all and make headway on a regular basis, so I see no issue with it.

That's a cool deal. Someone that enjoys working on these gets a fun job that pay the rent for it for a few months, then by the time they're bored of it, it goes back to you.

#113 8 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

I enjoy bringing an old run-down pin back to life more than I do playing them.

I'm like 50/50, after having done so many projects recently, I'm gonna take a long break from it.

#121 8 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Same here. I would spent way more time in a game then what it's worth if I would calculate hours in dollar figures. But to me each game was a new baby. When selling a game I only look at price paid and amount of money spent to repair.

Maybe this is an orange cat thing. I consistently never value my time.

#147 8 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

It's the people who buy them, store them away just to sell them off at a higher price later or die with them...that I have a problem with. They are simply a detriment to the hobby. There is no contribution to the hobby from them.

Although I agree with you that it is sad to see a warehouse filled with unloved games, it's his right to do that if he so chooses to.

#156 8 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Ok what's worse.
    A) A hobbyist/collector sitting on a few dozen pins with hope to restore one day?
    B) A hoarder buying everything in sight and storing it with hopes that prices go up with no plans on doing anything with but make a profit?
    C) Newbie buyers paying outrages prices driving prices so high most of us won't touch.
    D) The many Dealers stripping games for fast buck or shipping containers full of games overseas that will be lost from US market for life?

Eliminate C. Anyone buying anything for the first time has to do their research. It is 100% on them if they don't, although I HATE seeing newbies get taken advantage of because it will turn them off to the hobby, but same thing goes for anything. You don't just go straight to a car dealer and ask them what is best. Most the responsibility lies on the buyer. People lying about stuff in sales is another thing though (things working, etc.).

So I'd say B.

#171 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gorno:

Prices reflect the market. More people are interested in pinball and it's coming back. Don't expect anything other than an increase in prices. The guys in "B" are the worst.

This is a flash in the pan at best, I think we'll get about 5-6 more years of these prices, because nobody in their 20's currently grew up with Pinball. Unless Stern start manufacturing home redemption pins that reward you with xbox games or a pin with a skill crane option in it, there will be no new interest, no new buyers in the future. It took a wave of 80's kids growing older and having money to bring on the resurgence. When the current group grows tired of it, it'll just be the real pinheads left like before.

#172 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

That said, this hobby is so niche, how many of those warehouses can there be? 10 or 15?

Probably more than you think. If they needed the money and were wise, they'd sell these now. They already lost out on $$$ with vid cabinets when the market fell out on that due to emulation. I think they don't care about the money, that is why they sit on them.

#186 8 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Keep in mind, these kids who were born in the 90's are now really digging anything retro right now. Vinyl records, arcades, old Nintendo games. Even VHS and cassette tapes!

These things, culture, style, art, music, work in 30/40 year cycles. You see this in Graphic Design first usually, as people get tired of styles and like to refresh it. When I was in high school, 60's & 70's stuff was the cool thing. Now it is 80's stuff & 90's stuff. Get ready to bust our your jorts & suit jacket and jeans. But these resurgences of older culture don't last long generally (certainly not as long as they did during their time). Look at the indie music scene, a lot of synth pop right now.
    download.jpgdownload.jpg

#187 8 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

What do you mean no one in their 20's grew up with pinball? I am 28 and played in arcades untill they closed in the early 2000's. The girls I've dated who were 22+ have known what pinball machines are so I think you are off a generation.

I admit I know a few 20 somethings that know about Pinball and are interested, but they're the type that is interested in "retro" stuff, aka Hipsters. But the 20 somethings of right now when they have the $$$ to buy expensive stuff like this 5-6 years from now, will they still be interested? I'd be willing to bet the majority won't.

#188 8 years ago
    Quoted from dozer1:

Agreed..kinda sad but true. I would add 90's kids to this statement as well. The resurgence has legs for quite awhile though. Young kids are getting a chance to at least try pinball because of the resurgence. Who knows, maybe it will leave a mark on them and keep pinball alive for decades to come.

I really do hope so, but I think it is wishful thinking. I grew up in arcades, so a lot of my sentiment is tied to nostalgia. I'm not running out to buy stuff from the 60's & 70's currently, which was the popular retro stuff when I was in High School, and when I was not alive.

#189 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gorno:

I didn't get into pinball because of the machines I played as a child. It was just something I decided to try, because an opportunity arose. Not everyone will fit your mold and of course new people will find interest in the hobby if there is a resurgence.

I am aware not everyone will fit into the temporary interest in pinball camp mold. I did say there would be a few real pinheads made out of this when it is over.

Think of Barcades with primarily vids in them right now, add 5-6 years. Do you honestly think they're going to keep them going? It is the cool thing right now. Don't get me wrong, I love Barcades & love popping into one to relive my childhood in person and not on a MAME machine, but I have no burning desire to go to them all the time. Pinball does have the 1-up on Vids as they are real world physical objects. And for me, I love tinkering, and to own one of these almost certainly requires the ability to repair them, not everyone is cool with that idea. There is a lot to pin ownership that a lot of people don't want to bother with.

#198 8 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Here's a question for everyone.
    When you run out of space, but want to add more pins. Instead of selling, has anyone moved a pin to a relative's house? friend's house?

Absolutely, I think of it like an art gallery having a painting out on loan.

#203 8 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

When you guys move your pins to family/friends homes, is it an easy conversation? Do you get much resistance?

Hard most the time. And I've gotten a few back sooner than I thought. These were good, working games. Hard to compete with xBox if you aren't really crazy about pins. Longest one was I gave was Mr & Mrs Pac to my brother for x-mas two years ago. Got it back a few months ago. He ran out of space.

On the others, I'd gotten interest, then I explain moving them and people start to loose interest. Blows my mind. Free pinball game in your house... "I have to help move it... That sucks, no thanks."

#209 8 years ago

Just added a new project game. Gotta snatch them when they come up. I definitely didn't need another project right now (still finishing up Pinbot), but when opportunity knocks....

#213 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'm in the same boat. Almost picked up another game earlier this week, but at this point, I either have to get rid of some furniture or some pins.
    It's hard to pass up a bargain!

I'm just about done with the Pinbot refurb, a few more nights and it is complete. Then I have a whole lotta work to do with Rocky & Bullwinkle, cleaning mostly. It all works, just needs to be cleaned badly.

#214 8 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Niche mainly due to lack of exposure. Pinballs are works of art, people appreciate art, and most people have never seen pinball in its proper glory. Almost everyone I show my games to is amazed at how cool they are, and describe their former vision of pinball as broken, dirty and boring machines on location. Continued mainstream exposure to "the good stuff" will attract more and more fans.

But much like art, few are so motivated to the point they are willing to spend lots of $$$ on it. It takes someone that either isn't financially constricted, or doesn't care.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thedefog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-there-nothing-for-sale-whos-hoarding?tu=thedefog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.