(Topic ID: 126599)

Why is there nothing for sale? Who's hoarding?

By bobWeir

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 217 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by metallik
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download.jpg
    Silverball 02.JPG
    Silverball 01.jpg
    SNow Derby 01.jpg
    00-tuck0[1].jpg
    lad5.jpg
    DSC00073.JPG
    DSC00038.JPG
    DSC00045.JPG
    DSC00043.JPG
    DSC00071.JPG
    Transporter 0.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_0333.JPG
    102_0252.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 8 years ago

In the past year I've had 4 machines.
    BF - bought off an OP. Sat on CL for a couple weeks. Negotiated them down to 2200 due to burn in on the display.
    JP - 1150 from a local collector. Total project aka only had GI on power on. DMD was known to be good.
    PM - Messaged by a collector on here out of the blue because it was in my wishlist.
    RBION - Held my BF for trade. Caught a lot of flack, but ended up with a straight off route rbion and 150 in cash.

That is just me. I have friends who have gone through many more machines in the last year. You have to have the money on hand. Know the collectors in your area. Be prepared to drive. Be flexible in what titles you will take. Once you have something desirable, leverage it to get exactly what you want. Oh, and be prepared to get a lot of time wasters. Only thing holding me back from buying more machines are funds.

#100 8 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

That's pretty much where I'm at too. The trouble is just when your ready to quit buying and selling, something you've always wanted comes up for sale. That's what happened to me last week. Now I need to sell something to free up some space. Ugh, the cycle continues. This hobby never seems to let you just coast.

No what is bad is when your funds are tired up for the foreseeable future. I have two titles I want that are desirable and worth a fair chunk of change. In the old days I would shop them out and then trade/sell for a deal. It is hard to sit back and accept that you cannot for several months while you get your finances in order for the next machine.

#122 8 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

With the size of my collection, people could say I'm a hoarder.
    Sure...sometimes my pins go for a month or 2 between plays...but they still get played.
    I enjoy bringing an old run-down pin back to life more than I do playing them. If I had the funds/space I'd have 30 more.

You might need therapy and to listen to your friends when they say don't buy it. At the same time you don't keep your pins folded up in a barn, well maybe one. Your machines mechanically stand up to anyone's. It is something that cannot be said of a lot of the *high end* collections that people like to talk about.

#178 8 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

This is a flash in the pan at best, I think we'll get about 5-6 more years of these prices, because nobody in their 20's currently grew up with Pinball. Unless Stern start manufacturing home redemption pins that reward you with xbox games or a pin with a skill crane option in it, there will be no new interest, no new buyers in the future. It took a wave of 80's kids growing older and having money to bring on the resurgence. When the current group grows tired of it, it'll just be the real pinheads left like before.

What do you mean no one in their 20's grew up with pinball? I am 28 and played in arcades untill they closed in the early 2000's. The girls I've dated who were 22+ have known what pinball machines are so I think you are off a generation.

#210 8 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

I admit I know a few 20 somethings that know about Pinball and are interested, but they're the type that is interested in "retro" stuff, aka Hipsters. But the 20 somethings of right now when they have the $$$ to buy expensive stuff like this 5-6 years from now, will they still be interested? I'd be willing to bet the majority won't.

The majority of 30's, 40's, etc chose not to by it now. We are a niche community even if our numbers are growing.

#215 8 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Niche mainly due to lack of exposure. Pinballs are works of art, people appreciate art, and most people have never seen pinball in its proper glory.

Art is in the eye of the beholder.

What pinballs are is massive. They require a large amount of space for each machine. They are incredibly complex. They require both electrical and mechanical knowledge to maintain. They are not cheap to maintain. Shop jobs require an inordinate amount of time which many do not have nor want to do. Also, they are not fun when broken and a single switch not working can ruin a game.

These are all hurdles to people who are fans to begin with. Now try to convince someone who has never played them much.

Remember to be realistic about your expectations. This hobby will always remain a niche due to cost, space, time, and skills required.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-there-nothing-for-sale-whos-hoarding?tu=dung and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.