(Topic ID: 126599)

Why is there nothing for sale? Who's hoarding?

By bobWeir

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 217 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by metallik
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download.jpg
    Silverball 02.JPG
    Silverball 01.jpg
    SNow Derby 01.jpg
    00-tuck0[1].jpg
    lad5.jpg
    DSC00073.JPG
    DSC00038.JPG
    DSC00045.JPG
    DSC00043.JPG
    DSC00071.JPG
    Transporter 0.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_0333.JPG
    102_0252.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcademojo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from bobWeir:

I've been collecting pinballs and arcade games for over 10 years. Is it just me or has the supply just dried up? There used to be bulk buys and pinballs were readily available on craigslist , ebay, RGP, and pinside for decent prices. There has been really nothing on craigslist and ebay hardly gets any good titles.

I thought the same thing 10 years ago when the hundred dollar partially working games, fifty dollar non-working games and the "I have a whole storage full of games make an offer and come get them" dried out 10 years ago for me. Yeah I'm now a hoarder. Over 40 pins on my current list and have doubles and tipples of some of them. There are more and more new people collecting today then ever before.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I'm curious. Why do you have doubles and triples of stuff? Trying to combine them to make one nice one or what?

I just keep getting them in package deals.
    But yes, I would pull best playfields, backglass and other parts to make the best machine. Then sell the others. I screwed up my back around 2007 and had all these games in storage. I just started getting games out in the past year or two. Some games I haven't even looked at since I bought them.

#31 8 years ago

Hoarding.
    I'm addicted and need help.
    Maybe we should start a Pinball addiction anonymous thread for people like me.
    It's hard to see but there are 8 rows, 4 pins deep in the first picture. The second picture is more recent and as you can see I got some games moved to my house.
    Lucky this is only my Bally/Williams early solid state collection. My DMD, later model solid states and Gottlieb games are already in my house. Eventually the doubles and triples are going to be sold off or traded.

102_0252.JPG102_0252.JPG IMG_0333.JPGIMG_0333.JPG
    #44 8 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

You're like the catlady of pinball. And it's great.

I made the mistake of selling my Transporter: The Rescue in the mid 2000's Now it's hard to to let anything go. Who has my Transporter I want it back!!

Transporter 0.jpgTransporter 0.jpg
    #78 8 years ago
    Quoted from patrickvc:

It is sad to me that games get stacked up and hoarded in buildings and warehouses that will probably never get played again, when there are so many people who would love a chance to buy them for a gameroom.

Well said. It kills me seeing my older SS games in storage. After 7 years of keeping my games in storage they are finally being set up in our new house. It will still take months to move, clean and repair them but sooner or later they will be here. Yes when house shopping the first thing I looked for was how many pins can I set up.

#88 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I thought I was beyond my limit...but then I just picked up a couple more bargains. I think I've accumulated 5 years worth of work in just one year.
    Bargains are out there, and it's hard to resist them. But at this point, I'm getting pretty close to having an example of almost every major classic pre-DMD system. I think I'm just missing Williams Sys11 and a classic Bally (Baby Pacman doesn't quite count since the boards are game-specific).

I might be able to help you out with the classic bally. You got the one game that has slipped throw my grasp many of times. "Pharaoh". I have tipples of classic bally Lost world, Silver ball Mania and doubles of Jungle Lord, and stern Meteor and Galaxy.
    I'm slowly putting pictures of stuff for sale on my FB page. Pins will come after my vid collection is sold.
    https://www.facebook.com/Mojosmancave

#101 8 years ago

Can I come visit? I started out playing EM's/Bingo's then when the early ss came out they took over for me. Seeing your collection list reminds me of all the EM's I had and sold but forgot about. Have never seen a Algar or Barracora in real life yet alone played one. With all the newbie's driving prices on the DMD and newer games I hope the older stuff comes down. Here's a picture of my old Snow Derby and Grand Slam beside it.

SNow Derby 01.jpgSNow Derby 01.jpg
    #102 8 years ago

Her's a pic of one of my three Silverball Mania's Right off the truck and sat outside to take pictures.
    Just PM me saying your interested in one once I get to them. They all are about the same in so-so condition. Keep in mind this picture is about 7 or 8 years ago. Plastic set and popbumper caps were removed but have them for all machines.

Silverball 01.jpgSilverball 01.jpg
    Silverball 02.JPGSilverball 02.JPG

#115 8 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

I enjoy bringing an old run-down pin back to life more than I do playing them. If I had the funds/space I'd have 30 more.

You got it right on the spot. For me bringing a dust covered beat/dead game back to life is as much fun playing. I would repair them and play for about a month then sell. Selling a non-working pin seemed pointless at the time. (If I don't get to play it first I won't sell it) Sure, I'm setting on 50 pins right now but I put 3 times that many into peoples homes. They were all dead games I brought back to life. I'm not a dealer just someone that loves to recondition/repair/play

#120 8 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

It's funny you say that.
    I've quite a few pins to 1st time buyers. But, it seems, most first time buyers would mush rather trust someone who has a store front, thinking that they are the "pros". People, like myself, restoring pins in my garage, are looked upon as being the "shady guy" who is out to rip you off.
    I have a tendency to put WAY too much work into my machines. A lot of people don't realize the work I've put into them. They'd much rather buy from a retailer that, most likely, put hardly any money and/or work into the machine they are "flipping", and are charging a premium price. Most retailers "prey" on the "un-educated" 1st time buyer. They tell the buyer everything they want to hear.

Same here. I would spent way more time in a game then what it's worth if I would calculate hours in dollar figures. But to me each game was a new baby. When selling a game I only look at price paid and amount of money spent to repair.

#153 8 years ago

Ok what's worse.
    A) A hobbyist/collector sitting on a few dozen pins with hope to restore one day?
    B) A hoarder buying everything in sight and storing it with hopes that prices go up with no plans on doing anything with but make a profit?
    C) Newbie buyers paying outrages prices driving prices so high most of us won't touch.
    D) The many Dealers stripping games for fast buck or shipping containers full of games overseas that will be lost from US market for life?

#185 8 years ago
    Quoted from Classic_Stern:

What if I am A and B ? But I don't care about selling for profit. Crap.

If you don't care about making a profit I call dibs on the Transporter the Rescue. Sold mine 10 years ago and can't find one since.

#206 8 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Here's a question for everyone.
    When you run out of space, but want to add more pins. Instead of selling, has anyone moved a pin to a relative's house? friend's house?

Why pay "COLD" storage fees when you can put games in a relatives house? In my Hey day of buying I had at least a dozen or two working games in family houses and another lord knows how many in garages for short time. A lot were videos though.

#207 8 years ago
    Quoted from king-pin:

Just added 2 more to the hoard!

Adding a Blackout tomorrow.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcademojo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-there-nothing-for-sale-whos-hoarding?tu=arcademojo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.