(Topic ID: 126599)

Why is there nothing for sale? Who's hoarding?

By bobWeir

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 217 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by metallik
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

download.jpg
    Silverball 02.JPG
    Silverball 01.jpg
    SNow Derby 01.jpg
    00-tuck0[1].jpg
    lad5.jpg
    DSC00073.JPG
    DSC00038.JPG
    DSC00045.JPG
    DSC00043.JPG
    DSC00071.JPG
    Transporter 0.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_0333.JPG
    102_0252.JPG

There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 4 years ago

Just added 2 more to the hoard!

#202 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

When you guys move your pins to family/friends homes, is it an easy conversation? Do you get much resistance?
    I spoke to 2 of my friends about moving my games to their homes, but years down the road. Both were hesitant to say yes, because they were afraid they would break them.

The person that gave one of my games a home for a short time had no problem with it. I simply asked if they had space to store it for a while, they said yes, and there it sat for a while. After I took it out, they even offered to house additional games since they had space they weren't using.

It really all depends on how much space they have and how willing they are to store your stuff.

Whether or not they want to store a playable vs non-playable game is another story, I suppose. In my case, the game wasn't playable yet.

#203 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

When you guys move your pins to family/friends homes, is it an easy conversation? Do you get much resistance?

Hard most the time. And I've gotten a few back sooner than I thought. These were good, working games. Hard to compete with xBox if you aren't really crazy about pins. Longest one was I gave was Mr & Mrs Pac to my brother for x-mas two years ago. Got it back a few months ago. He ran out of space.

On the others, I'd gotten interest, then I explain moving them and people start to loose interest. Blows my mind. Free pinball game in your house... "I have to help move it... That sucks, no thanks."

#204 4 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

speaking of hoarders, im guessing theres those that still have bally/williams / or whatever 90s dmd pins still NIB?

This just popped up too:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-nib-black-knight

#205 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Our weekly tournaments have about half our players in the the 21-30 bracket.
    Must be a location thing.

We have a pinball group in town that runs tournaments and I am sure has some folks in that age bracket - I just don't think that representative of a large number of the population, and that it would be able to sustain pinball interest at current levels in the long haul. My own kids 21 and 23 could care less about pinball, and they have a free play arcade in my basement.

#206 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Here's a question for everyone.
    When you run out of space, but want to add more pins. Instead of selling, has anyone moved a pin to a relative's house? friend's house?

Why pay "COLD" storage fees when you can put games in a relatives house? In my Hey day of buying I had at least a dozen or two working games in family houses and another lord knows how many in garages for short time. A lot were videos though.

#207 4 years ago
    Quoted from king-pin:

Just added 2 more to the hoard!

Adding a Blackout tomorrow.

#208 4 years ago

I'm "storing" a game for a Pinsider right now, and really enjoying it (thanks Steve!) but it does mean that my last free slot got filled. So now I'm selling a game to move one in.

#209 4 years ago

Just added a new project game. Gotta snatch them when they come up. I definitely didn't need another project right now (still finishing up Pinbot), but when opportunity knocks....

#210 4 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

I admit I know a few 20 somethings that know about Pinball and are interested, but they're the type that is interested in "retro" stuff, aka Hipsters. But the 20 somethings of right now when they have the $$$ to buy expensive stuff like this 5-6 years from now, will they still be interested? I'd be willing to bet the majority won't.

The majority of 30's, 40's, etc chose not to by it now. We are a niche community even if our numbers are growing.

#211 4 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Just added a new project game. Gotta snatch them when they come up. I definitely didn't need another project right now (still finishing up Pinbot), but when opportunity knocks....

I'm in the same boat. Almost picked up another game earlier this week, but at this point, I either have to get rid of some furniture or some pins.

It's hard to pass up a bargain!

#212 4 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

We are a niche community even if our numbers are growing.

Niche mainly due to lack of exposure. Pinballs are works of art, people appreciate art, and most people have never seen pinball in its proper glory. Almost everyone I show my games to is amazed at how cool they are, and describe their former vision of pinball as broken, dirty and boring machines on location. Continued mainstream exposure to "the good stuff" will attract more and more fans.

#213 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'm in the same boat. Almost picked up another game earlier this week, but at this point, I either have to get rid of some furniture or some pins.
    It's hard to pass up a bargain!

I'm just about done with the Pinbot refurb, a few more nights and it is complete. Then I have a whole lotta work to do with Rocky & Bullwinkle, cleaning mostly. It all works, just needs to be cleaned badly.

#214 4 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Niche mainly due to lack of exposure. Pinballs are works of art, people appreciate art, and most people have never seen pinball in its proper glory. Almost everyone I show my games to is amazed at how cool they are, and describe their former vision of pinball as broken, dirty and boring machines on location. Continued mainstream exposure to "the good stuff" will attract more and more fans.

But much like art, few are so motivated to the point they are willing to spend lots of $$$ on it. It takes someone that either isn't financially constricted, or doesn't care.

#215 4 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Niche mainly due to lack of exposure. Pinballs are works of art, people appreciate art, and most people have never seen pinball in its proper glory.

Art is in the eye of the beholder.

What pinballs are is massive. They require a large amount of space for each machine. They are incredibly complex. They require both electrical and mechanical knowledge to maintain. They are not cheap to maintain. Shop jobs require an inordinate amount of time which many do not have nor want to do. Also, they are not fun when broken and a single switch not working can ruin a game.

These are all hurdles to people who are fans to begin with. Now try to convince someone who has never played them much.

Remember to be realistic about your expectations. This hobby will always remain a niche due to cost, space, time, and skills required.

#216 4 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

I'm just about done with the Pinbot refurb, a few more nights and it is complete. Then I have a whole lotta work to do with Rocky & Bullwinkle, cleaning mostly. It all works, just needs to be cleaned badly.

I've been trying to limit myself to working on my Sinbad and Touchdown. Every time I get a new pin in, I jump to it for a short while for a quick cleaning (since I don't want a filthy/grimy/smelly pin inside), some electronics work/troubleshooting, and sealing the backglasses if they need it. It keeps interrupting my primary restoration jobs, lol

#217 4 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Art is in the eye of the beholder.
    What pinballs are is massive. They require a large amount of space for each machine. They are incredibly complex. They require both electrical and mechanical knowledge to maintain. They are not cheap to maintain. Shop jobs require an inordinate amount of time which many do not have nor want to do. Also, they are not fun when broken and a single switch not working can ruin a game.
    These are all hurdles to people who are fans to begin with. Now try to convince someone who has never played them much.
    Remember to be realistic about your expectations. This hobby will always remain a niche due to cost, space, time, and skills required.

It'll stay a niche, but with 310M people in just the US, it has plenty of room to grow.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 60.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 32.00
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 11,500.00
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 23.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside