(Topic ID: 126599)

Why is there nothing for sale? Who's hoarding?

By bobWeir

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 217 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by metallik
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

download.jpg
    Silverball 02.JPG
    Silverball 01.jpg
    SNow Derby 01.jpg
    00-tuck0[1].jpg
    lad5.jpg
    DSC00073.JPG
    DSC00038.JPG
    DSC00045.JPG
    DSC00043.JPG
    DSC00071.JPG
    Transporter 0.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_0333.JPG
    102_0252.JPG

There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 4 years ago

As someone in madison just thinking about getting into the hobby it can be a little daunting. I really felt a connection with the OP until I saw how many pins he had Anyway, a little off topic, but did anyone here get the EarthShaker? I almost pulled the trigger on that one (or attempted to).

#152 4 years ago
    Quoted from iloveplywood:

As someone in madison just thinking about getting into the hobby it can be a little daunting. I really felt a connection with the OP until I saw how many pins he had Anyway, a little off topic, but did anyone here get the EarthShaker? I almost pulled the trigger on that one (or attempted to).

no WAY!!!

that thing is completely blown out and about twice market value.

PinballKen recently sold his for around 1k and it was much nicer if I remember correctly.
    There is another one in the area for about 500 less that sounds like it is better (but still overpriced).

#153 4 years ago

Ok what's worse.
    A) A hobbyist/collector sitting on a few dozen pins with hope to restore one day?
    B) A hoarder buying everything in sight and storing it with hopes that prices go up with no plans on doing anything with but make a profit?
    C) Newbie buyers paying outrages prices driving prices so high most of us won't touch.
    D) The many Dealers stripping games for fast buck or shipping containers full of games overseas that will be lost from US market for life?

#154 4 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

You say that as if you think those folks care about the hobby...they don't. I'm certain this happens in every other hobby as well. There are the hoarder types that collect stuff for the sake of having it. There are also the types that collect in the hopes that "someday" they'll be worth something and they'll be able to sell them for a profit.
    The people who do that aren't helping to get games into homes and increase the hobby, that's for sure, but I don't think they really care.

This is true. I certainly cannot read minds, nor can anything I say out here influence anyone that doesn't care about the hobby. I enjoy getting these old beauties running, I've passes a few on to grateful collectors, and if I have no interest in doing that with a particular game, I let someone else go for it. Sue me if I think the hoarders are doing a disservice to the pinball hobby. The folks that are in it that actually give a crap know who they are, and so do the money grubbing hoarders- even if they won't admit it.

#155 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

For anyone itching to get a machine, it looks like the floodgates have been open for the last few days--FS ads popping up everywhere. Must be spring cleaning.

other than pinside, Mr. Pinball Classifieds, e-bay (for over priced pins) and Craigslist, where else are pins found for sale?

#156 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Ok what's worse.
    A) A hobbyist/collector sitting on a few dozen pins with hope to restore one day?
    B) A hoarder buying everything in sight and storing it with hopes that prices go up with no plans on doing anything with but make a profit?
    C) Newbie buyers paying outrages prices driving prices so high most of us won't touch.
    D) The many Dealers stripping games for fast buck or shipping containers full of games overseas that will be lost from US market for life?

Eliminate C. Anyone buying anything for the first time has to do their research. It is 100% on them if they don't, although I HATE seeing newbies get taken advantage of because it will turn them off to the hobby, but same thing goes for anything. You don't just go straight to a car dealer and ask them what is best. Most the responsibility lies on the buyer. People lying about stuff in sales is another thing though (things working, etc.).

So I'd say B.

#157 4 years ago

Newbie buyers at least are attempting to get a pin to play or restore. B are the worst.

#158 4 years ago

C is the worst since they then think they can resell the game they overpaid for for more than they overpaid, driving asking prices even higher.

#159 4 years ago

Prices reflect the market. More people are interested in pinball and it's coming back. Don't expect anything other than an increase in prices. The guys in "B" are the worst.

#160 4 years ago

There is a guy out here in the hot AZ desert that has buildings/sheds, his whole house filled with games. It blew my mind how many games and parts he had basically decaying in the summer heat in these sheds. The thing that pissed me off is there are a lot of pinheads here that would save each and every one of them.

#161 4 years ago
    Quoted from patrickvc:

There is a guy out here in the hot AZ desert that has buildings/sheds, his whole house filled with games. It blew my mind how many games and parts he had basically decaying in the summer heat in these sheds. The thing that pissed me off is there are a lot of pinheads here that would save each and every one of them.

Is the guy in Queen Creek? From what I could tell most of his games were garbage. I asked him for a list of everything he had and told him I would come out with cash and he could never even tell me what he had.

#162 4 years ago

I hoard games I want to keep and sell/trade the ones I don't... What does that make me?

Rob Bell
    Robsgameroom.com

#163 4 years ago

I figured Kiss would have driven more games to the for sale lot but so far it just looks like any other week. We will see what Sunday/Monday brings.

#164 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I figured Kiss would have driven more games to the for sale lot but so far it just looks like any other week. We will see what Sunday/Monday brings.

Kiss costs 5k plus. Many/most people are not interested in selling 2 or 3 proven good games for 2/3k each in order to take a risk on a new game with unknown code issues for at least 18 months.

#165 4 years ago

Yeah, I just looked again...
    Nothing new on CL here. Just the same Bally Knockout for $600 and restored HS for $2800 that have been there for weeks along with 2 dozen ads for other non pinball items. I don't think were going to see a bunch of new pin ads just because of the KISS release.

#166 4 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

On the topic of hoarding, I have a lot of games but they are all set up and played. I used to have some in storage but realized having games all wrapped up are pointless to me and others if they can't be played. I don't want to have things just for the sake of having them. One day it changed for me, and I sold them. But to each his own.

I'm evolving in my hobby. For my first few years of collecting, I had room for 6-8 games and no real work space. I've moved and am building a free standing building/game room with a dedicated work space. My buying is slowed way down. When I get built and setup I will have room for more games than I currently own and can make some decisions. Sell those that get less love, etc.

#167 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Kiss costs 5k plus. Many/most people are not interested in selling 2 or 3 proven good games for 2/3k each in order to take a risk on a new game with unknown code issues for at least 18 months.

I'm on strike from Stern till all my Stern games have completed code. Down to just TWD needing an update, once it gets its polish I will buy a Stern again...

I'm hoping TWD gets its code before Game of Thrones as I'd hate to skip out on Game of Thrones but I will if I don't have code.

#168 4 years ago

The games people are hoarding now are the warehouse raids for future generations of collectors.

#169 4 years ago

Game of Thrones may get my attention but Star Wars is probably my next "Shut up and take my money" game. I have no idea if or when it will happen. I prefer a Stern license so at least it will come out soon after its announced.

I'm hopefull that JJP will break out of it's current model. They make an amazing product. I made my first hobbit payment in November 2012. I got a refund of $5500 in May of 2014. People are still waiting. I'm confident no one wants that kind of wait time to go away more than Jack himself.

Currently I'm wanting

AMH (ordered and shipping soon)
    BBB (a little hesitant due to the MMR)
    WNBJM (wife doesnt like it)

NIB games have been
    Spiderman (but got it in 2012 with complete code)
    ACDC Prem
    WoZ
    STLE

All of them were really exciting for me and I dont regret any of the purchases. Opening a NIB game is a real treat.

#170 4 years ago

If pinball stays popular, and the old guard of collector/hoarder starts dying off, expect to see more and more warehouses going up for auction in the next 10 years.

That said, this hobby is so niche, how many of those warehouses can there be? 10 or 15?

#171 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gorno:

Prices reflect the market. More people are interested in pinball and it's coming back. Don't expect anything other than an increase in prices. The guys in "B" are the worst.

This is a flash in the pan at best, I think we'll get about 5-6 more years of these prices, because nobody in their 20's currently grew up with Pinball. Unless Stern start manufacturing home redemption pins that reward you with xbox games or a pin with a skill crane option in it, there will be no new interest, no new buyers in the future. It took a wave of 80's kids growing older and having money to bring on the resurgence. When the current group grows tired of it, it'll just be the real pinheads left like before.

#172 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

That said, this hobby is so niche, how many of those warehouses can there be? 10 or 15?

Probably more than you think. If they needed the money and were wise, they'd sell these now. They already lost out on $$$ with vid cabinets when the market fell out on that due to emulation. I think they don't care about the money, that is why they sit on them.

#173 4 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

It took a wave of 80's kids growing older and having money to bring on the resurgence. When the current group grows tired of it, it'll just be the real pinheads left like before

Agreed..kinda sad but true. I would add 90's kids to this statement as well. The resurgence has legs for quite awhile though. Young kids are getting a chance to at least try pinball because of the resurgence. Who knows, maybe it will leave a mark on them and keep pinball alive for decades to come.

#174 4 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

This is a flash in the pan at best, I think we'll get about 5-6 more years of these prices, because nobody in their 20's currently grew up with Pinball. Unless Stern start manufacturing home redemption pins that reward you with xbox games or a pin with a skill crane option in it, there will be no new interest, no new buyers in the future. It took a wave of 80's kids growing older and having money to bring on the resurgence. When the current group grows tired of it, it'll just be the real pinheads left like before.

Keep in mind, these kids who were born in the 90's are now really digging anything retro right now. Vinyl records, arcades, old Nintendo games. Even VHS and cassette tapes! Perhaps pinball remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be surprised. These are all collectable items and many of these kids from the 90s are collecting and hoarding things like Nintendo games and it's been driving up prices in the last 5 years. As far as this generation of young hipsters goes, they really have nothing worth claiming as far as unique entertainment of their generation, other than the idea of convenience. Mp3 players, home gaming and on demand viewing. There's no charm in that stuff and they know it. I don't see the collector/hoarder mentality ever going away. Perhaps it still remains to be seen if these kids from the 90s affect pinball like they did everything else.

#175 4 years ago
    Quoted from AJNada:

Keep in mind, these kids who were born in the 90's are now really digging anything retro right now. Vinyl records, arcades, old Nintendo games. Even VHS and cassette tapes! Perhaps pinball remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be surprised. These are all collectable items and many of these kids from the 90s are collecting and hoarding things like Nintendo games and it's been driving up prices in the last 5 years. As far as this generation of young hipsters goes, they really have nothing worth claiming as far as unique entertainment of their generation, other than the idea of convenience. Mp3 players, home gaming and on demand viewing. There's no charm in that stuff and they know it. I don't see the collector/hoarder mentality ever going away. Perhaps it still remains to be seen if these kids from the 90s affect pinball like they did everything else.

Except 20 years from now Mp3 players and others you listed probably will seem charming compared to whatever is around then. It's all relative.

#176 4 years ago
    Quoted from AJNada:

This is to what I believe to be very true. Entertainment and media is so disposable now, it seems that people will always want to hold something physical of any kind for nostalgia's sake. Its great to see a young teen or twenty something play a machine for the first time, the physicality of it blows there minds. Its worth the hassle of location pins alone...

#177 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballNewb:

Except 20 years from now Mp3 players and others you listed probably will seem charming compared to whatever is around then. It's all relative.

There's no appeal in digital media as far as helping their social status. This post 90's generation is all about social media and posting this and tagging that. They want to be a part of everything that's hip and cool, even if it's happening 1000 miles away from where they live, they tag each other and want to be seen in the same facebook thread.

A perfect example is that guy in that 'Nintendo Quest' flim. He attempts to collect every Nintendo game ever made because he wants to be recognized as "that guy who attempts to collect every Nintendo game ever made." Collecting is cool to them, no matter how shitty 70% of NES games really are. They wouldn't know because they don't really play them. I don't see mp3s and media downloads having the same effect. No one is bragging about collecting as many mp3s as possible or downloading every game from the Playstation Store. Digital doesn't appeal to them because they can't take pictures of it and have their hipster friends "like" it.

Retro collecting = social status. I know the arcade hobby has grown in the past 10 years because of it. Prices have gone up, atleast from what i've noticed in this area. Pinball may be next for them.

#178 4 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

What do you mean no one in their 20's grew up with pinball? I am 28 and played in arcades untill they closed in the early 2000's. The girls I've dated who were 22+ have known what pinball machines are so I think you are off a generation.

#179 4 years ago

And I know some 5 year olds that just LOVE pinball....

#180 4 years ago

Family gathering and we had no 20-30 years olds trying to play pinball. They sat on the deck texting and and smoking E cigs, while a few of us 40-50 year olds played some pinball. To think that the younger generation is going to sustain the pinball hobby at its current level is just ludicrous.

#181 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Family gathering and we had no 20-30 years olds trying to play pinball. They sat on the deck texting and and smoking E cigs, while a few of us 40-50 year olds played some pinball. To think that the younger generation is going to sustain the pinball hobby at its current level is just ludicrous.

I have nothing but 20-30 year olds playing our pins

#182 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Our weekly tournaments have about half our players in the the 21-30 bracket.
    Must be a location thing.

#183 4 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

I didn't get into pinball because of the machines I played as a child. It was just something I decided to try, because an opportunity arose. Not everyone will fit your mold and of course new people will find interest in the hobby if there is a resurgence.

#184 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Ok what's worse.

What if I am A and B ? But I don't care about selling for profit. Crap.

#185 4 years ago
    Quoted from Classic_Stern:

What if I am A and B ? But I don't care about selling for profit. Crap.

If you don't care about making a profit I call dibs on the Transporter the Rescue. Sold mine 10 years ago and can't find one since.

#186 4 years ago
    Quoted from AJNada:

Keep in mind, these kids who were born in the 90's are now really digging anything retro right now. Vinyl records, arcades, old Nintendo games. Even VHS and cassette tapes!

These things, culture, style, art, music, work in 30/40 year cycles. You see this in Graphic Design first usually, as people get tired of styles and like to refresh it. When I was in high school, 60's & 70's stuff was the cool thing. Now it is 80's stuff & 90's stuff. Get ready to bust our your jorts & suit jacket and jeans. But these resurgences of older culture don't last long generally (certainly not as long as they did during their time). Look at the indie music scene, a lot of synth pop right now.
    download.jpg

#187 4 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

What do you mean no one in their 20's grew up with pinball? I am 28 and played in arcades untill they closed in the early 2000's. The girls I've dated who were 22+ have known what pinball machines are so I think you are off a generation.

I admit I know a few 20 somethings that know about Pinball and are interested, but they're the type that is interested in "retro" stuff, aka Hipsters. But the 20 somethings of right now when they have the $$$ to buy expensive stuff like this 5-6 years from now, will they still be interested? I'd be willing to bet the majority won't.

#188 4 years ago
    Quoted from dozer1:

Agreed..kinda sad but true. I would add 90's kids to this statement as well. The resurgence has legs for quite awhile though. Young kids are getting a chance to at least try pinball because of the resurgence. Who knows, maybe it will leave a mark on them and keep pinball alive for decades to come.

I really do hope so, but I think it is wishful thinking. I grew up in arcades, so a lot of my sentiment is tied to nostalgia. I'm not running out to buy stuff from the 60's & 70's currently, which was the popular retro stuff when I was in High School, and when I was not alive.

#189 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gorno:

I didn't get into pinball because of the machines I played as a child. It was just something I decided to try, because an opportunity arose. Not everyone will fit your mold and of course new people will find interest in the hobby if there is a resurgence.

I am aware not everyone will fit into the temporary interest in pinball camp mold. I did say there would be a few real pinheads made out of this when it is over.

Think of Barcades with primarily vids in them right now, add 5-6 years. Do you honestly think they're going to keep them going? It is the cool thing right now. Don't get me wrong, I love Barcades & love popping into one to relive my childhood in person and not on a MAME machine, but I have no burning desire to go to them all the time. Pinball does have the 1-up on Vids as they are real world physical objects. And for me, I love tinkering, and to own one of these almost certainly requires the ability to repair them, not everyone is cool with that idea. There is a lot to pin ownership that a lot of people don't want to bother with.

#190 4 years ago

speaking of hoarders, im guessing theres those that still have bally/williams / or whatever 90s dmd pins still NIB?

#191 4 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

speaking of hoarders, im guessing theres those that still have bally/williams 90 dmd pins still NIB?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nib-cactus-canyon-on-ebay

#193 4 years ago

Here's a question for everyone.

When you run out of space, but want to add more pins. Instead of selling, has anyone moved a pin to a relative's house? friend's house?

#194 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

When you run out of space, but want to add more pins. Instead of selling, has anyone moved a pin to a relative's house? friend's house?

Yup, I did that once for a few weeks before I moved into a bigger place.

#195 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I have 8 games at a friends house right now, and 2 sit down drivers that I don't have room for, but will someday when I finally get a new house with the gameroom being the main focus of the house.

#196 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

i had a couple at moms house. not far away. 15mins

#197 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Of course, it's the next "stage" of the affliction.
    16 home, 3 away.
    Soon:
    15 home, 4 away.
    Aiming for 14 home...
    -mof

#198 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Absolutely, I think of it like an art gallery having a painting out on loan.

#199 4 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

speaking of hoarders, im guessing theres those that still have bally/williams / or whatever 90s dmd pins still NIB?

Does this make you a hoarder ? or a collector?
    I think most of us here who have numerous games think of ourselves as collectors. Right now all my machines are setup & working but there was a time when I had several sitting apart waiting to be shopped or restored. Hoarder: is that Randy dude in Wildwood, NJ. who has a warehouse filled with pins & other arcade games & refuses to let anything go. Google randyland!!

#200 4 years ago

When you guys move your pins to family/friends homes, is it an easy conversation? Do you get much resistance?

I spoke to 2 of my friends about moving my games to their homes, but years down the road. Both were hesitant to say yes, because they were afraid they would break them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 269.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 59.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 209.99
    $ 209.99
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 95.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 59.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 21.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 15.00
    $ 159.99
    There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside