(Topic ID: 126599)

Why is there nothing for sale? Who's hoarding?

By bobWeir

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 217 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by metallik
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

download.jpg
    Silverball 02.JPG
    Silverball 01.jpg
    SNow Derby 01.jpg
    00-tuck0[1].jpg
    lad5.jpg
    DSC00073.JPG
    DSC00038.JPG
    DSC00045.JPG
    DSC00043.JPG
    DSC00071.JPG
    Transporter 0.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_0333.JPG
    102_0252.JPG

There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 4 years ago

Can I come visit? I started out playing EM's/Bingo's then when the early ss came out they took over for me. Seeing your collection list reminds me of all the EM's I had and sold but forgot about. Have never seen a Algar or Barracora in real life yet alone played one. With all the newbie's driving prices on the DMD and newer games I hope the older stuff comes down. Here's a picture of my old Snow Derby and Grand Slam beside it.

SNow Derby 01.jpg
    #102 4 years ago

Her's a pic of one of my three Silverball Mania's Right off the truck and sat outside to take pictures.
    Just PM me saying your interested in one once I get to them. They all are about the same in so-so condition. Keep in mind this picture is about 7 or 8 years ago. Plastic set and popbumper caps were removed but have them for all machines.

Silverball 01.jpg
    Silverball 02.JPG

#103 4 years ago

I don't understand why people hoard pins! There are plenty of newer people in this hobby (like myself) that have the time an ambition to restore them to their former glory. I say: Get those games on the market!!! Especially now that prices are high.
    Who knows what the future of the market will be... The newer generations may not care about pinball and you all could end up with a huge collection that isn't worth anything to anyone but yourself.

#104 4 years ago

One man's hording stash is eventually another man's warehouse find.

#105 4 years ago

"Why is there nothing for sale?"

Sometimes word of mouth is all that is needed..

#106 4 years ago

I will admit to having pins on their backs. However, they are pins I want and found them for better prices so I bought them. I will eventually refurbish them all, but there is only so much time.

If anyone local to me is interested in borrowing a game and doing a full tear down, cleaning, resleeving, fresh rubber, LEDs, etc... then let me know. I have done agreements in the past where I loan out a game and pay for all the appropriate parts. You get to keep the game for a set time frame and play it after you get it and clean it up. Currently I have a glut of games that need a little love and other project going on. I will still continue to buy games even with others not currently operational, but I have a plan in place for them all and make headway on a regular basis, so I see no issue with it.

#107 4 years ago
    Quoted from brenna98:

Especially now that prices are high.
    Who knows what the future of the market will be... The newer generations may not care about pinball and you all could end up with a huge collection that isn't worth anything to anyone but yourself.

Once a price ceiling has been clearly establish (in which case it has with WOZ JJP & MM circa 2012) it will not go back up there again until the next crash/rebound. So it is only downhill from here. I don't expect a dramatic fast drop, and it is currently spreading itself out. Those ultra high 8K+ prices have just migrated to other machines. As more new games are produced, the prices of these overly priced B & C list games will drop as the spread of $$$ will fall onto them instead.

#108 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I will admit to having pins on their backs. However, they are pins I want and found them for better prices so I bought them. I will eventually refurbish them all, but there is only so much time.
    If anyone local to me is interested in borrowing a game and doing a full tear down, cleaning, resleeving, fresh rubber, LEDs, etc... then let me know. I have done agreements in the past where I loan out a game and pay for all the appropriate parts. You get to keep the game for a set time frame and play it after you get it and clean it up. Currently I have a glut of games that need a little love and other project going on. I will still continue to buy games even with others not currently operational, but I have a plan in place for them all and make headway on a regular basis, so I see no issue with it.

That's a cool deal. Someone that enjoys working on these gets a fun job that pay the rent for it for a few months, then by the time they're bored of it, it goes back to you.

#109 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

If anyone local to me is interested in borrowing a game and doing a full tear down, cleaning, resleeving, fresh rubber, LEDs, etc... then let me know.

I might be interested in this. I'm not exactly local, but a trip to Madison and back is nothing to me.

#110 4 years ago

With the size of my collection, people could say I'm a hoarder.

Sure...sometimes my pins go for a month or 2 between plays...but they still get played.

I enjoy bringing an old run-down pin back to life more than I do playing them. If I had the funds/space I'd have 30 more.

#111 4 years ago

Great thread. It has inspired me to consider starting one to discuss possible cures.

-mof

#112 4 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Now I need to sell something to free up some space.

We're working on that!

#113 4 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

I enjoy bringing an old run-down pin back to life more than I do playing them.

I'm like 50/50, after having done so many projects recently, I'm gonna take a long break from it.

#114 4 years ago

I'm selling a really nice TZ!

#115 4 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

I enjoy bringing an old run-down pin back to life more than I do playing them. If I had the funds/space I'd have 30 more.

You got it right on the spot. For me bringing a dust covered beat/dead game back to life is as much fun playing. I would repair them and play for about a month then sell. Selling a non-working pin seemed pointless at the time. (If I don't get to play it first I won't sell it) Sure, I'm setting on 50 pins right now but I put 3 times that many into peoples homes. They were all dead games I brought back to life. I'm not a dealer just someone that loves to recondition/repair/play

#116 4 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

That's pretty much where I'm at too. The trouble is just when your ready to quit buying and selling, something you've always wanted comes up for sale. That's what happened to me last week. Now I need to sell something to free up some space. Ugh, the cycle continues. This hobby never seems to let you just coast.

I've had that same thought at times I'm just tired of it for the moment. I was ready to sell everything for a while but actually getting stuff sold and moved out has made me content. I'll come back around its just time for a break.

#118 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I'm not a dealer just someone that loves to recondition/repair/play

It's funny you say that.

I've quite a few pins to 1st time buyers. But, it seems, most first time buyers would mush rather trust someone who has a store front, thinking that they are the "pros". People, like myself, restoring pins in my garage, are looked upon as being the "shady guy" who is out to rip you off.

I have a tendency to put WAY too much work into my machines. A lot of people don't realize the work I've put into them. They'd much rather buy from a retailer that, most likely, put hardly any money and/or work into the machine they are "flipping", and are charging a premium price. Most retailers "prey" on the "un-educated" 1st time buyer. They tell the buyer everything they want to hear.

#119 4 years ago

I play all mine as far as you know

#120 4 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

It's funny you say that.
    I've quite a few pins to 1st time buyers. But, it seems, most first time buyers would mush rather trust someone who has a store front, thinking that they are the "pros". People, like myself, restoring pins in my garage, are looked upon as being the "shady guy" who is out to rip you off.
    I have a tendency to put WAY too much work into my machines. A lot of people don't realize the work I've put into them. They'd much rather buy from a retailer that, most likely, put hardly any money and/or work into the machine they are "flipping", and are charging a premium price. Most retailers "prey" on the "un-educated" 1st time buyer. They tell the buyer everything they want to hear.

Same here. I would spent way more time in a game then what it's worth if I would calculate hours in dollar figures. But to me each game was a new baby. When selling a game I only look at price paid and amount of money spent to repair.

#121 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Same here. I would spent way more time in a game then what it's worth if I would calculate hours in dollar figures. But to me each game was a new baby. When selling a game I only look at price paid and amount of money spent to repair.

Maybe this is an orange cat thing. I consistently never value my time.

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

With the size of my collection, people could say I'm a hoarder.
    Sure...sometimes my pins go for a month or 2 between plays...but they still get played.

You might need therapy and to listen to your friends when they say don't buy it. At the same time you don't keep your pins folded up in a barn, well maybe one. Your machines mechanically stand up to anyone's. It is something that cannot be said of a lot of the *high end* collections that people like to talk about.

#123 4 years ago

It is pretty amazing how many games came up for sale after KISS was announced.

#124 4 years ago
    Quoted from bobWeir:

It is pretty amazing how many games came up for sale after KISS was announced.

What is on your wishlist currently? I can keep an eye out for you.

#125 4 years ago

Metallica Premium, Stargate, Guns and Roses, and Kiss Premium for 6200. Might as well get the full music lineup

#126 4 years ago

Hoarding isn't a new thing, I myself been doing it for decades....The problem there are just less games to hoard because they just don't make them anymore.

#127 4 years ago
    Quoted from bobWeir:

Metallica Premium, Stargate, Guns and Roses, and Kiss Premium for 6200. Might as well get the full music lineup

I have a nice stargate but would only be interested in trade for it. I like it quite a bit.

Call me if there is anything you are looking to trade away.

#128 4 years ago
    Quoted from Edenecho:

What pisses me off is the hoarders who just have to get those good bargains, just to put the game in storage, and there it stays. Really fucked up. Buy it, fix it and sell it, or get it up and running. Pinballs were made to be played or experienced, not continue dying because some people have an addiction..

I feel the same way. Nothing worse than these games being stored in cold storage for years. Sell to to someone who wants to fix and play it. Projects are fine, but there is a point where it's just wasteful.

#129 4 years ago

Wasteful to who???... The guy who doesn't have one, or someone who had the foresight to buy it back in the day.

#130 4 years ago

Go ahead and get offended. If you own the games and have no intention of actually playing them; then I call that wasteful. What's the point in owning a bunch of games in cold storage? It has nothing to do with foresight if your plan is do nothing with it. You are just a selfish hoarder.

#131 4 years ago
    Quoted from clone97:

Wasteful to who???... The guy who doesn't have one, or someone who had the foresight to buy it back in the day.

What is meant,IMO, is the difference between a hoarder treating the machine as a commodity versus a hobbyist who would get the machine to a playable state. There's also a difference between a collector who simply gets carried away and buys too many to have time to bring them back to life and those who store them with absolutely no intention of doing anything to them, it doesn't benefit the hobby at all to do that - because here is a machine that could be made to enjoy again or at least supplant parts for another hobbyist to improve another machine. That's what is defined as being wasteful as far as a real pinball hobbyist is concerned.

#132 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

If anyone wants to do this, I will tip you for your work with these whirlwind parts
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-whirlwind-used-topper-and-plastics#post-2435244

Games in need of the love are DETM, JD, SST, and RoboWar

#133 4 years ago

Those games in cold storage are being just that, stored.... They will not only outlive both of us put together but will be around for future gamers. So go ahead and think I am offended, Cause fact of the matter is, I DO NOT PLAY PINBALL AT ALL,(or the arcade/jukes) and haven't for years, Its not fun anymore, Restoring some old game is however, Hence the hoard.

#134 4 years ago

For anyone itching to get a machine, it looks like the floodgates have been open for the last few days--FS ads popping up everywhere. Must be spring cleaning.

#135 4 years ago
    Quoted from clone97:

Those games in cold storage are being just that, stored.... They will not only outlive both of us put together but will be around for future gamers.

Hopefully, you'll put someone in charge of your estate that knows enough to get your hoarded games back into the hobby circle, instead of in a trash heap. The true pinball hobbyists will be waiting for your demise.

#136 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

The true pinball hobbyists will be waiting for your demise.

Well that's not very nice.

#137 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Hey man, I left out *anxiously*

#138 4 years ago
    Quoted from kruzman:

See what is possible if you didn't get married

oh how the possibilities are endless.

but alas.

#139 4 years ago

Y'all know the law of supply and demand, right? So if the supply is driven down by unnecessary hoarding and the demand is high, the prices go up for everyone else. I can forgive those who are actually planning to do something with them. Those who just shove 'em in storage somewhere with no definite purpose, are of no benefit to the hobby IMHO.

#140 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

...and neither is it to hide games in storage forever so nobody can enjoy them.

And now I'll climb down off my soapbox, because those folks are not going to listen anyways.

#141 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Y'all know the law of supply and demand, right? So if the supply is driven down by unnecessary hoarding and the demand is high, the prices go up for everyone else. I can forgive those who are actually planning to do something with them. Those who just shove 'em in storage somewhere with no definite purpose, are of no benefit to the hobby IMHO.

Oh, I get it--horders buy everything in sight, wait for prices to rise, then flip 'em.

#142 4 years ago

so whose got the most pins in storage around 'ere?...

#144 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

For anyone itching to get a machine, it looks like the floodgates have been open for the last few days--FS ads popping up everywhere. Must be spring cleaning.

No, I think there are a LOT of people itching to buy a KISS machine (seriously). Either out of room, or out of funds.

#145 4 years ago

Are you considered a hoarder if you do restore them to play but slowly?
    I had 90 pins, but down to about 70 now. From time to time we rotate a few wedgeheads and woodrails, but the newer machines always remain in the gameroom. MM, IJ,LOTR, TSPP,TZ etc. The main gameroom in the house holds 24 pins and I also Insulated, drywalled and temp controlled my attached garage for more. Bowlers and gun games are out there too.
    And as others said, sometimes I enjoy bringing a great woodrail back to life as much as playing them. I'm finishing up a 54' Lady Luck now
    Excess pins are in the basement lined up in rows on edge, heads are on shelves.
    What a great hobby!!

#146 4 years ago
    Quoted from waltrr:

Are you considered a hoarder if you do restore them to play but slowly?

No, if you are intending to restore, or you play them...even if you just maybe jumped on a few that were "good deals" and you just have not had the time for them...you are, what I call, and "active pinball hobbyist". It's the people who buy them, store them away just to sell them off at a higher price later or die with them...that I have a problem with. They are simply a detriment to the hobby. There is no contribution to the hobby from them.

#147 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

It's the people who buy them, store them away just to sell them off at a higher price later or die with them...that I have a problem with. They are simply a detriment to the hobby. There is no contribution to the hobby from them.

Although I agree with you that it is sad to see a warehouse filled with unloved games, it's his right to do that if he so chooses to.

#148 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

No, if you are intending to restore, or you play them...even if you just maybe jumped on a few that were "good deals" and you just have not had the time for them...you are, what I call, and "active pinball hobbyist". It's the people who buy them, store them away just to sell them off at a higher price later or die with them...that I have a problem with. They are simply a detriment to the hobby. There is no contribution to the hobby from them.

Is an "intention" enough, or is there any requisite of "reasonable plan" involved in your model?

I bet you the guy with 10 good years of life left, and 100 pins in storage had every intention 30 years ago, and 20 years ago, and 10 years ago to...

"get to them someday."

-mof

#149 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

It's the people who buy them, store them away just to sell them off at a higher price later or die with them...that I have a problem with. They are simply a detriment to the hobby. There is no contribution to the hobby from them.

You say that as if you think those folks care about the hobby...they don't. I'm certain this happens in every other hobby as well. There are the hoarder types that collect stuff for the sake of having it. There are also the types that collect in the hopes that "someday" they'll be worth something and they'll be able to sell them for a profit.

The people who do that aren't helping to get games into homes and increase the hobby, that's for sure, but I don't think they really care.

#150 4 years ago

Reminds me of the folks with the old car rotting on the lawn up on cinder blocks who keeps turning down offers to buy it 'cause Ima restore it one day'.

Mind you I am driving out to pick up another craigslist find tonight, so I think the "cheap crap under $500" pinball hobby is just fine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 800.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 149.00
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 19.95
    $ 29.99
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 24.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Electronics
    TheDudeMods
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 38.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside