(Topic ID: 126599)

Why is there nothing for sale? Who's hoarding?

By bobWeir

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 217 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by metallik
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

download.jpg
    Silverball 02.JPG
    Silverball 01.jpg
    SNow Derby 01.jpg
    00-tuck0[1].jpg
    lad5.jpg
    DSC00073.JPG
    DSC00038.JPG
    DSC00045.JPG
    DSC00043.JPG
    DSC00071.JPG
    Transporter 0.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_0333.JPG
    102_0252.JPG

There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 4 years ago

I've been collecting pinballs and arcade games for over 10 years. Is it just me or has the supply just dried up? There used to be bulk buys and pinballs were readily available on craigslist , ebay, RGP, and pinside for decent prices. There has been really nothing on craigslist and ebay hardly gets any good titles.

#2 4 years ago

There has not been a arcade auction around the Madison/ Milwaukee area in a long time.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from bobWeir:

Games are for sale on pinside but most times prices are though the roof.

Your thread title is misleading then.

#4 4 years ago

There I changed it

#5 4 years ago

Take a look at some of our fellow pinsiders collection, some people have 60 to 70 pins. Some people have 20 in storage. This hobby is booming. The more people that get in it, the less machines there will be. Collectors are constantly scouring CL, Pinside and other sites for sales and deals. That's what is making it hard to buy.

#6 4 years ago

You have 18 games and have sold 5 at least according to your profile I assume you buy more than you sell? Are you the hoarder?

#7 4 years ago

Supply started drying up years ago. Craigslist used to have TONS of games from "casual owners/non-hobbyists". That has dried up. Operators and auctions are out of "old crap" to sell. All the old games that were bought my collectors/resellers were repaired/restored...some were kept in collections, some were sold to new collectors. More collectors + finite supply = less to buy!

#8 4 years ago

Craigslist is just getting out of hand with collectors doing cut throat tactics. Yes, I'm a hoarder..I'll admit it. I've been collecting to start a arcade or barcade/beercade in the area. I just have not found the right location/building to do it in. Anyone know of a good location to rent in the Madison/Janesville Area?

#9 4 years ago

I'm thinking the same thing recently. Looking for another machine, but the supply on CL is minimal at best.

#10 4 years ago

Good on you man. We need more of these beercades. They are booming right now too.

#11 4 years ago

Deals are mostly gone. I've been going to Allentown PinFest/PinWiz show for 11 years. I was just there over last weekend. Hardly a DMD game to be had that wasn't outrageously priced. Very small stock of junker machines in the flea. Years ago there used to be truck after truck that would pull up and disgorge dozens of half decent machines to blow out. Those were the golden years.

I'm not saying prices will explode, but deals are few and far between. I know I won't let my current machines go for low prices. It's too hard to replace them. Everything seems to be settling in in bands of pricing.

Want a decent 80 solid state, expect to pay 900-2K (want a Fathom or Centaur 4K)
    Want a decent Sys11, expect to pay 1500-3K
    Want a decent DMD, depending on the title 2K-4K+
    Want a fun to play Stern of yesteryear, expect to pay more than they were NIB (e.g. 5K for a nice LOTR or 4.5K for a TSPP)

Parts are drying up too, but that's another whole thread.

This hobby always was expensive, it's only getting more so.

-Jim

#12 4 years ago

Seems some locations are better than others on craigslist. In the Madison area it has really dried up. It's great to see the hobby booming just wish there was more machines available.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from bobWeir:

I've been collecting pinballs and arcade games for over 10 years. Is it just me or has the supply just dried up? There used to be bulk buys and pinballs were readily available on craigslist , ebay, RGP, and pinside for decent prices. There has been really nothing on craigslist and ebay hardly gets any good titles.

I thought the same thing 10 years ago when the hundred dollar partially working games, fifty dollar non-working games and the "I have a whole storage full of games make an offer and come get them" dried out 10 years ago for me. Yeah I'm now a hoarder. Over 40 pins on my current list and have doubles and tipples of some of them. There are more and more new people collecting today then ever before.

#14 4 years ago

I am thankful for what I have.

Some should take a good look in their collection and feel the same way, but I guess for some it's never enough.

#15 4 years ago

There's a lot more competition. If a craigslist ad has been up 15 minutes, you're already too late by about 50 people.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I thought the same thing 10 years ago when the hundred dollar partially working games, fifty dollar non-working games and the "I have a whole storage full of games make an offer and come get them" dried out 10 years ago for me. Yeah I'm now a hoarder. Over 40 pins on my current list and have doubles and tipples of some of them. There are more and more new people collecting today then ever before.

I'm curious. Why do you have doubles and triples of stuff? Trying to combine them to make one nice one or what?

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Supply started drying up years ago. Craigslist used to have TONS of games from "casual owners/non-hobbyists". That has dried up. Operators and auctions are out of "old crap" to sell. All the old games that were bought my collectors/resellers were repaired/restored...some were kept in collections, some were sold to new collectors. More collectors + finite supply = less to buy!

= higher prices

#18 4 years ago

Got two-three pins I wouldnt mind selling.
    Tron pro, mods a plenty.
    Star Trek Premium, cliffy in shooter lane, oh shiny balls
    Debating on Walking Dead Pro. The code is right around the corner and is fun to play.

There, three pinball machines for sale. Pm me if interested.

#19 4 years ago

MINE. ALL MINE.

Crap, out of space. Maybe not all mine.

#20 4 years ago

Some people have found it is cheaper to stay home and drink.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I'm curious. Why do you have doubles and triples of stuff? Trying to combine them to make one nice one or what?

I just keep getting them in package deals.
    But yes, I would pull best playfields, backglass and other parts to make the best machine. Then sell the others. I screwed up my back around 2007 and had all these games in storage. I just started getting games out in the past year or two. Some games I haven't even looked at since I bought them.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I just keep getting them in package deals.
    But yes, I would pull best playfields, backglass and other parts to make the best machine. Then sell the others. I screwed up my back around 2007 and had all these games in storage. I just started getting games out in the past year or two. Some games I haven't even looked at since I bought them.

Interesting. I guess package deals are a lot less frequent now a days too. Or at least I don't hear about them often. I have only been doing this for a year, so I really don't know anything better than the current state of things.

#23 4 years ago

So if you are bargain hunting, yeah, harder to find what you want. If you are ready to pay up pretty much everything is for sale.

#24 4 years ago

You have to be ready to pay, you have to be prepared to drive and you have to be ready to go right away. Stuff might fall into your lap sometimes but not very often.

#25 4 years ago

You think you got it bad? It's really slim pickings down here in the south!

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

There is a monster bash in a dive bar in NOLA that needs some love. Go get it!!

#27 4 years ago

IMO Stern's last 3-4 offerings have been sub par. There hasn't been the crazy selling frenzy since Metallica LE was gobbled up in a few hours.

Maybe Kiss will shake things free a bit...looks promising

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

There is a monster bash in a dive bar in NOLA that needs some love. Go get it!!

Oh man don't inspire me to attempt that Grail quest again. No telling how many have tried.

#29 4 years ago

I have mostly given up looking for deals on CL. There are so few that come up, and when they do it is a mad dash to be the first one there with cash and a truck.

Instead I buy and trade machines with friends I have met at tournaments and pinball shows. Usually we can figure out a deal that is fair for us both, and there isn't the stress of someone buying the game from underneath you.

#30 4 years ago

I've actually been cutting back a little. Selling more than buying. Used to have 30-40 now have about 20. Probs selling a few more but not fire sale for sure. Don't have to sell but willing to

#31 4 years ago

Hoarding.
    I'm addicted and need help.
    Maybe we should start a Pinball addiction anonymous thread for people like me.
    It's hard to see but there are 8 rows, 4 pins deep in the first picture. The second picture is more recent and as you can see I got some games moved to my house.
    Lucky this is only my Bally/Williams early solid state collection. My DMD, later model solid states and Gottlieb games are already in my house. Eventually the doubles and triples are going to be sold off or traded.

102_0252.JPG IMG_0333.JPG
    #32 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Hoarding.
    It's hard to see but there are 8 rows, 4 pins deep in the first picture. The second picture is more recent and as you can see I got some games moved to my house.
    Lucky this is only my Bally/Williams early solid state collection. My DMD, later model solid states and Gottlieb games are already in my house. Eventually the doubles and triples are going to be sold off or traded.

102_0252.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
    IMG_0333.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Haha. I don't get it. Open a pinball parlor already. Haha.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Hoarding.

102_0252.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
    IMG_0333.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

You're like the catlady of pinball. And it's great.

#34 4 years ago

Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania... Be glad you're not here in AZ. Our Craigslist is like that shitty desert in the Mad Max movies and the random pin that will pop up is like gasoline people are desperate to get.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from AJNada:

Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania... Be glad you're not here in AZ. Our Craigslist is like that shitty desert in the Mad Max movies and the random pin that will pop up is like gasoline people are desperate to get.

Florida I think is right there with Arizona I think. I think observation ally, the great many of these machines are in the Midwest and northeast.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Yea...it is seriously the pinball desert in Louisiana. Nothing comes up for sale here almost ever.

#37 4 years ago
    image.jpg
    #38 4 years ago

Sometimes the hording starts because some folks enjoy the thrill of bargain hunting. And then the obtained item kind of becomes a trophy with a story behind it.

#39 4 years ago

Lots of us came in 2-4 years ago in the recent boom. For a good while tons of trading games but now everyone I know like myself has rotated enough that we are down to our keepers.
    I just don't want to sell anything. Just happy with my games.

#40 4 years ago

This one just popped up a few hours ago, but was gone in less than 30 minutes. Project Gottlieb Hollywood Heat for $350:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-hollywood-heat-gottlieb-1986-1987

There are bargains out there--it's just that everybody recognizes them as bargains, so they aren't available for long.

#41 4 years ago

I'm glad I have no more room. But then again I'm sure that won't stop me for long.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Lots of us came in 2-4 years ago in the recent boom. For a good while tons of trading games but now everyone I know like myself has rotated enough that we are down to our keepers.

Yep, pretty much where I am at too.

It's an interesting situation to be in though. Knowing what pins I really like makes it harder to sell any of them, but I still want to keep trying new pins as that is a huge part of the addiction to this hobby.

I didn't think I would have any interest in KISS as a theme, but the pin looks it will look great. I'm intrigued. And of course GoT will be next, and that's a theme I love too. And Alien is coming. Some pins will have to move out of here to make room.

#43 4 years ago

1) There aren't many machine on my must have list left.
    2) New machines are too expensive and not worth the price.
    3) Assuming less people are buying new machines that drives down the secondary market. I have a nice collection of machines and nothing has come out remotely interesting to me so why sell a good old one.
    4) With many botique players going tits-up speculators are probably a little wary.
    5) all of the above.

I also was having a discussion with someone at a pinball manufacturer about prices. I said with prices they way they are I'm not buying. His response was where else are you going to buy. I responded all over, just not pinball machines. Literally the current market is driving me out as the value/fun balance is screwed IMO. I just bought about 18k worth of upgrades for my toy car. I'm spending more money than I did on pinball on other cool things.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

You're like the catlady of pinball. And it's great.

I made the mistake of selling my Transporter: The Rescue in the mid 2000's Now it's hard to to let anything go. Who has my Transporter I want it back!!

Transporter 0.jpg
    #45 4 years ago

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Agreed but only been in a year and half but im really happy with my collection after trying lots of pins and owning a good many, once my new met gets here ita be perfect mix of pins in my eyes . I may put jd in my shop out spot and just rotate something new in and out every few months

#47 4 years ago

There are games for sale everywhere. U just need to get in your family mini van and go get them. I do agree with the one florida guy. There no games for sale or to play on location. Took me 35 mins to drive and play one in ft lauderdale. And that's fast for south florida traffic

#48 4 years ago

there's only so much space, and people only live so long.. eventually sales happen. Also just be glad there are currently 3 companies (many more to follow) that are building / shipping pinballs. New pinballs means old stuff has to get sold to make room when you reach capacity (unless you start bleeding money on storage, but eventually the price of storage outweighs the value of the pin). If it were just Stern popping out 2-3 pins a year, it would be very slow going. Be happy there's a pinball surge, just pray it doesn't dip anytime soon.

#49 4 years ago

There's plenty of games for sale.

There's a difference between no games for sale, and games for sale at the price you want.

#50 4 years ago

I took it as games in the lower price range are not for sale like T2, BOP, F14

Rather than games being price too high.....I think people understand a new defame is price higher, but some simply don't have $5-8k to drop on a game

On the topic of hoarding, I have a lot of games but they are all set up and played. I used to have some in storage but realized having games all wrapped up are pointless to me and others if they can't be played. I don't want to have things just for the sake of having them. One day it changed for me, and I sold them. But to each his own.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 137.00
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Great American Pinball
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 26.95
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 263.55
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 299.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 109.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 63.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 339.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 109.99
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside