(Topic ID: 100203)

Why is there not more discussion about TIMESHOCK?

By spfxted

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 398 posts
  • 128 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by akm
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

time shock (resized).jpg
    Physics.gif
    printing (resized).JPG
    Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 2.32.15 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 2.32.07 PM (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    0EECB4AE-29A1-4759-974B-7322F8C6932C.gif
    Screenshot_20190920-003933_Instagram (resized).jpg
    2019-05-24 23_49_44-Fotos (resized).jpg
    TSplayfield (resized).png
    proxy (resized).jpg
    tsplayfieldvid (resized).jpg
    cunning-development-logo_8246.jpg
    Timeshock New Playfield (resized).jpg

There are 398 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
    #351 4 years ago

oh, so that FB picture is NOT the people working on the original project. Bummer.

#352 4 years ago
    Quoted from insx:

I would love to know why Silver Castle won't/can't talk about their progress.

They didn't ask anyone for "pre-order" money (mad respect). So by that standard, they aren't obligated to tell anybody a thing. I bet it's nice not to be beholden to anyone from their perspective.

#353 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

oh, so that FB picture is NOT the people working on the original project. Bummer.

It doesn't look like the same art on the cabinet.

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 2.32.07 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-09-23 at 2.32.07 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-09-23 at 2.32.15 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-09-23 at 2.32.15 PM (resized).png
    #354 4 years ago

Ugh, why does everyone make their own pinball controller?

#355 4 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

It doesn't look like the same art on the cabinet.

Ah, you are correct. Digging up the Silver Castle versions old photos, that's definitely their side art. Giggidy.

#356 4 years ago

I think the guy said that Silver Castle provided him with the artwork, but different machines - he hasn't made wireforms yet.

#357 4 years ago
    Quoted from insx:

I think the guy said that Silver Castle provided him with the artwork, but different machines - he hasn't made wireforms yet.

Why isn’t this guy on pinside!!!???

#358 4 years ago

Well, now I am

..but it would be rude to post anything before introducing myself. My name is David as you might have already guessed. I've studied Mechatronics and Electronics Engineering and I am working for an international company in the Electronics Research and Development department in Germany.

I've started building the machine last year, as you might have read on my blog already. I didn't want to make it official until I had something good to present. I also want to keep every piece of information on one place, so every one that is interested can easily access everything that I posted.

(I still have to figure out, how to quote..)

"I think the guy said that Silver Castle provided him with the artwork, but different machines - he hasn't made wireforms yet." - insx

- No, I asked Silver Castle Pinball if they would sell me the artwork graphics but they refused. I then had to figure out another way: They released their artwork as 4k wallpapers. With a little bit help of Photoshop, I was able to get a very good looking cabinet artwork - only the "Timeshock!" font was missing. I took the rerelease games Timeshock graphic that you can find in the games directories and added them to the cabinet art - that's why they look different! (Honestly, yes the original Timeshock font looks better, but it wouldn't bother you if you didn't know the original). The artwork really looks great in person - no pixels to be found.

"Ugh, why does everyone make their own pinball controller?" - jwilson

- I can understand your problem, but for me it just made sense: I design and program embedded products at work so it was a no-brainer. By the time I figure out some closed source system, I will be finished designing my own one that does everything I need. I also wanted a board that would be able to run the other Pro Pinball tables IF I would ever wanted to build any other (honestly, this will never happen since building a pinball machine is a LOT of work and I am busy finishing my Timeshock table)

So if you got any questions, I will answer them - I still have to expand my FAQ section

#359 4 years ago

David_Struggle Sorry for giving wrong information after skimming your blog. I see that your youtube video and blog are no longer accessible, did you have to take them down?

#360 4 years ago

Welcome David!
    The machine looks fantastic. I love anything with a science fiction theme. Can't wait to play it!

#361 4 years ago
    Quoted from insx:

david_struggle Sorry for giving wrong information after skimming your blog. I see that your youtube video and blog are no longer accessible, did you have to take them down?

I indeed had to take them both down. First up, it lead to confusion if I would be affiliated with Silver Castle Pinball. I stated on my blog and my YouTube video that I am not affiliated with them, but not everybody does read the description.

Second, I do not own any rights to the assets, design, artwork, layout,... . I was pretty stupid to publish my blog/video without asking for any permissions. I will also not be able to get the rights to continue posting photos of my machine.

My blog will however return some time in the future, but without any pictures or information regarding my build.

From here on you basically have to trust my words that I am continuing this project and I am making progress every day.

Quoted from spfxted:

Welcome David!
    The machine looks fantastic. I love anything with a science fiction theme. Can't wait to play it!

Thanks! You probably won't be able to play my machine any time soon since I am not allowed to show it anywhere, but you can wait until Silver Castle Pinball are finished with their commercial machine.

#362 4 years ago
    Quoted from David_Struggle:

By the time I figure out some closed source system, I will be finished designing my own one that does everything I need.

P-ROC is open source. MPF is also open source.

Why re-invent the wheel?

#363 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Why re-invent the wheel?

some people just like to do there own thing Its fun designing/building hardware if you got the skills why not

Pretty harsh to have that blog shut down tbh looks like your build was showing this other company up lol and they got upset haha.

#364 4 years ago

I don’t see how they have any right to shut down the blog for a one-off homebrew that’s not for sale. I mean, can Disney stop me from making an Incredibles pin in my basement and posting photos of my progress? Post whatever you want; any legal threat is hollow.

If they had completed even one prototype in the last five years, this would be a non-issue. Maybe they need a public kick in the pants.

#365 4 years ago

can we request private images?

of the pin of course

#366 4 years ago

I indeed had to take them both down. First up, it lead to confusion if I would be affiliated with Silver Castle Pinball. I stated on my blog and my YouTube video that I am not affiliated with them, but not everybody does read the description.
    Second, I do not own any rights to the assets, design, artwork, layout,... . I was pretty stupid to publish my blog/video without asking for any permissions. I will also not be able to get the rights to continue posting photos of my machine.
    My blog will however return some time in the future, but without any pictures or information regarding my build.
    From here on you basically have to trust my words that I am continuing this project and I am making progress every day.

Thanks! You probably won't be able to play my machine any time soon since I am not allowed to show it anywhere, but you can wait until Silver Castle Pinball are finished with their commercial machine.

I believe that you can share your build with photos etc without any valid threats of action as you are not selling the game as it is a one off for yourself - it's probably more of a bruised ego to others if you build one before them.

look at Rotodave's Led Zeppelin pin which is very cool and he used iconic logos etc and shared his whole build and the band is probably stoked if they came across it and if anything would probably ask "can you build one for us" and he hasn't had any issues.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1976-bally-led-zeppelin-retheme

As for the original creators (digital version) of Timeshock they are scum as there are still lots of backers waiting for their rewards from the kickstarter 4-5 years ago so they don't a leg to stand on as they have effectively ripped people off.

A build log with no photos will lose alot of people's interest.

all the best and share away

#367 4 years ago

So now we have 2 Timeshock! machines we're not allowed to see. Bummer. Still, I wish you every success.

#368 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Why re-invent the wheel?

As to my understanding, P-ROC only offers open source software and not open source hardware, which is fine for most people. With P-ROC I would also have to use an PC / Raspberry Pi to control the board. My board on the other hand controls everything by itself. It can handle the DMD format, SFX and music files that I've extracted from the game. I don't plan to be a competitor in the pinball controller scene, I just share what I am doing and make it available for everybody who is interested in it.
    If I'm not mistaken, I could easily port MPF to my controller, but I don't see a reason personally, since I've already written a framework on my own.

Quoted from yancy:

I don’t see how they have any right to shut down the blog for a one-off homebrew that’s not for sale. I mean, can Disney stop me from making an Incredibles pin...

Quoted from swinks:

I believe that you can share your build with photos etc without any valid threats of action as you are not selling the game as it is a one off for yourself...

Thanks a lot for your support, but I think this situation is more complex:
    Basically, a homebrew build of an upcoming pin is coping. Furthermore, I am (basically) using the same artwork that they are using. I don't know what exactly can be seen as legal and what not. Copyright laws can be pretty complex.
    At this point I rather spend my money on my pin, than on a copyright lawsuit.

We are currently discussing the details on what I can post and what infringes their rights.

I am able post photos of my cabinet with the artwork censored, since then it doesn't hurt any copyright law.
    The playfield on the other hand is a completely other story since it's design and assets are unique to the Timeshock! machine.

I will keep you updated on the current status. (I probably will start a new thread on the DIY Pin section, since this is going a bit off topic)

Quoted from russdx:

can we request private images?
    of the pin of course

I don't know - I am not allowed to show them "publicly", but this is more like "showing to a friend". I'll look what I can do.

7 months later
    #369 3 years ago

5 years, wow!

#370 3 years ago

Wow! The plot thickens... Great work, I really like the nature of the project and I like that you approached them. Too bad they weren't supportive but with their own in the works you can't blame them.
    Without trying to poke the bear, couldn't you share pics but do a quick and crude blur of the art assets just to share the technical build components?
    Either way, super-cool project! Following!

1 year later
    #371 2 years ago

Old thread bump for a really promising pin I always wished became a reality, any updates?

#372 2 years ago

Pinball is hard. Maybe he should have used P3-ROC and saved a ton of time and money.

#373 2 years ago

Yeah! Any updates??

3 weeks later
    #374 2 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Pinball is hard. Maybe he should have used P3-ROC and saved a ton of time and money.

If you're referring to my machine, all is going well. If I were using P3-ROC, I would'nt be any further than I am now
    Due to the ongoing pandemic and life stuff, progress slowed down the last year, but I am working on it in my free time.

I am (still) planning on posting regularly updates of my progress, but I lost quite a bit of motivation back when all that trouble with Silver Castle Pinball happened.

Be patient, good things take time.

#375 2 years ago

If you're referring to my machine, all is going well. If I were using P3-ROC, I would'nt be any further than I am now
    Due to the ongoing pandemic and life stuff, progress slowed down the last year, but I am working on it in my free time.
    I am (still) planning on posting regularly updates of my progress, but I lost quite a bit of motivation back when all that trouble with Silver Castle Pinball happened.
    Be patient, good things take time.

Cool, good luck! I just played the pinball on steam again tonight and its amazing! Can you post of pic of your Work in progress? Take care!

1 month later
    #376 2 years ago
    Quoted from paulohotline:

Cool, good luck! I just played the pinball on steam again tonight and its amazing! Can you post of pic of your Work in progress? Take care!

Sharing my progress is difficult, but I can give some insights on what I've been doing currently:

Since I lacked free time to work physical pin itself (only working on it if i can really spend multiple days on it), I focused on the other stuff that I've got to do. One of these things is to complete the video mode. It is currently about half way done - Code and animations are there, just have to add the sprites and placement maps. I attached a picture of the current physics model (not a DMD render, just the bare physics code run on python) - still improving it but it starts to feel like the real deal. Video Mode is something, that I want to finish over the next few months.
    Physics.gifPhysics.gif

Alongside with the programming, I've got a lot to 3D print over the next months. I attached a picture of some pretty recognizable guys Don't worry - the chariot race guy is also ready to be printed. I am only lacking the Mount Rushmore, but this will be the last piece to be printed, since I need everything else to be physically finished before i can take measurements.
    printing (resized).JPGprinting (resized).JPG

On the physically pin side, I'm planning to construct the mid scoop (including its retraction/block mechanism) and 10-Ball Through (a hard one given the room that's available) over the rest of this year. This would allow me to "play" a cut down version of Timeshock for the first time. The control mechanism and driver for the Crystal and Lock Arm are already in place and working. I just have to fabricate the wire forms, platforms and the arm itself. This surely will open up a whole new box full of problems to be solved. That's why I'll focus on finishing every thing else before starting on these two guys.

On the cabinet side I will change the current placement of the buttons and applying the final decal. This will be last thing to be done to the cabinet.

As you can see, there is still a lot to do. Not mentioning updating the wire loom and all the other small stuff that comes with every change. But I will continue to work on it until it is completely finished and playable.

#377 2 years ago

If only we could get similar updates from Silver Castle. Well done!

2 months later
    #378 2 years ago

It seems that the project is still alive and they are silently working behind the scenes.
    There must be an article in the dutch "Spinner" pinball magazine.
    Someone posted this in the german flippermarkt.de forum.

time shock (resized).jpgtime shock (resized).jpg
    #379 2 years ago

A massive undertaking. If I remember correctly, Pro Pinball had colour DMDs, decades before they appeared in the real world of pinball. But here, they seem to have gone back to prehistoric pinball times....with the old monochrome.

#380 2 years ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

If I remember correctly, Pro Pinball had colour DMDs, decades before they appeared in the real world of pinball.

Later Pro Pinball, yes. Timeshock did not.

#381 2 years ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

If I remember correctly, Pro Pinball had colour DMDs, decades before they appeared in the real world of pinball.

Quoted from JWJr:

Later Pro Pinball, yes. Timeshock did not.

I think Fantastic Journey (2nd one after Timeshock!) was the only PP title with a color DMD.

#382 2 years ago

It’s ironic that the reason it had orange dots was to look like a real pinball machine of the time, and now that’s it’s a real pinball machine, when all new games have full color screens, this still has orange dots.

#383 2 years ago

Good to see that something is happening, it's been a few years with no news.

5 months later
    #384 2 years ago

Thread bump, any updates?

4 months later
    #385 1 year ago

Hello, is this thing on ? Bump. Any updates? It truly is too bad this hasn’t been made, great original concept

#386 1 year ago

So about 3 years since I was told they planned to be at Expo, doh...
    #pinballishard #comingsoon #betterlatethannever

#387 1 year ago

It’s been 6 years of waiting for this one. Update bump…

#388 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gotpins:

It’s been 6 years of waiting for this one. Update bump…

I like to help bump!
    P.s. god I wish they'd just shown when ready, pinball foreplay is evil!

#389 1 year ago

This is going to be an old game before it even launches

4 months later
    #390 1 year ago

I was so hoping this was going to happen!

8 months later
    #392 6 months ago

I liked Timeshock, a lot. I hope that the progress on David's home built version is still moving forward. I wouldn't hesitate to try and buy one if Silver Castle's actually came to fruition.

#393 6 months ago
    Quoted from N-Squared:

I liked Timeshock, a lot. I hope that the progress on David's home built version is still moving forward. I wouldn't hesitate to try and buy one if Silver Castle's actually came to fruition.

I love the layout, and the theme. Sigh

#394 6 months ago
    Quoted from N-Squared:

Agreed! this is an original concept that showed a lot of promise. Truly disappointing nothing was ever made.

#395 6 months ago

If I'm being 100% honest though. I have a lot more nostalgia and love for probably the least liked of the 4 ProPinball tables, which was The Web.

#396 6 months ago
    Quoted from N-Squared:

If I'm being 100% honest though. I have a lot more nostalgia and love for probably the least liked of the 4 ProPinball tables, which was The Web.

Mine is Big Race USA, such a great game.. Not a PRO Pinball but how I wish Worms Pinball by Team17 would become reality some day. The music is gold

#397 6 months ago

such a shame the original company that did the original digital and then the kickstarter to re-fresh the digital game were rip off merchants and didn't delivery on a number of things with the kickstarter and am sure they are the cause to this not happening with Silver Castle

#398 6 months ago
    Quoted from N-Squared:

The Web was an awesome layout with fun rules, marred by sub-par physics. The next three were much more refined in that area.

I'd be up for real versions of any of the Pro Pinball tables.

There are 398 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-there-not-more-discussion-about-timeshock/page/8?hl=vader77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.