Why is there not more discussion about TIMESHOCK?

(Topic ID: 100203)

Why is there not more discussion about TIMESHOCK?

By spfxted

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 321 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by insx
  • Topic is favorited by 41 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 35 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
    TSplayfield (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    proxy (resized).jpg
    tsplayfieldvid (resized).jpg
    cunning-development-logo_8246.jpg
    Timeshock New Playfield (resized).jpg
    Timeshock_Master_of_Time_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    Timeshock_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    TimeShock_Box_and_Goodies.jpg

There are 321 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
    #1 4 years ago

TIMESHOCK!

Widely regarded as one of the best, if not the best, pinball simulators around even some seventeen years after it was first released, Timeshock! was the most grounded and realistic of the four Pro Pinball games.

The Web was the first, Big Race USA and Fantastic Journey completed the series, but if any of them was to be made into a real, physical machine, Timeshock! would be the most likely candidate.

Pro Pinball's Timeshock
    Pro Pinball's Timeshock

A little over two weeks ago, Silver Castle Pinball, a new pinball maker based in The Netherlands, published a promotional video to reveal that they have plans to bring Timeshock! to life.

http://www.pinballnews.com/games/timeshock/index.html

#2 4 years ago

sign me up.

#3 4 years ago

I was more of a Big Race USA fan myself. Wish them best of luck with their endeavors!

#4 4 years ago

Two thoughts:

One, I think its awesome this is happening. Timeshock! is a great table. It will be fun to see how the physical game transition goes.

Second: why does no one seem to care?

I would argue - its because the people on here are, by and large, about *physical* pinball, not *virtual* pinball.

Is it news? Absolutely. But if the people here are *physical* pinball enthusiasts, its not gonna register as super important.

I started out playing digital pinball, primarily, so I care. But most of the conversation on Pinside is about buying/owning/playing physical machines, in that order of priority.

On a digital pinball forum - that's big news.

#5 4 years ago

lack of discussion is shocking!

Sorry, could not resist....

#6 4 years ago

Too many games being released.

#7 4 years ago

I'm really excited about it, but:

1) It seems to make time crawl when checking and rechecking for updates and constantly talking about it. They are projecting Summer 2015 for release, roughly. I'll wait until spring to get my hopes up.

2) Price. Might be quite a penny to get them across the pond.

#8 4 years ago

Honestly, I've never even heard of it until the latest announcement. I'll be looking into it when I have the time, but agree that so much stuff is coming out these days that even if I was excited and wanted one, I couldn't afford it.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from jpolfer:

I would argue - its because the people on here are, by and large, about *physical* pinball, not *virtual* pinball.

I thought this WAS going to be a physical machine...

#10 4 years ago

I'd never heard of this either until now. I was a huge fan of the Pro Pinball series and played that game a ton. But it was always "video pinball" to me and not real pinball.

This project seems very personal for those developing it, and less a business venture. I'm also concerned that the left ramp is way too steep and long to be reliably hit - it's the kind of thing that works well in a virtual pinball simulation where the flippers are always 100% and hits seem to magically line-up, but in a real mechanical game, that ramp seems formidable.

I wish them luck. They seem to be yet another group with virtually no manufacturing experience much less pinball manufacturing experience, tackling a very big project. I'm sure it can be done, but it seems like every other project of this nature, it seems to take ten times longer and ten times more capital than originally intended. I hope they can finish it.

#11 4 years ago

I can't answer your question but the game looks very cool! That being said, it looks like it would weigh/cost a metric $hit ton.

#12 4 years ago

Pricing comparable to LE's have just taken me out of the game. I will never be able to justify a $8.5 K game.

#13 4 years ago

Hopefully it won't cost too much. There was another thread and some discussion around this article:
    http://www.pinballnews.com/games/timeshock/index.html

They are hoping to have it lost around the average 'LE' price these days, so we'll see what that ends up being...

#14 4 years ago

Announcement overload.

#15 4 years ago

Answer to the title question is didn't see the announcement. I loved the table when I first played it, but rarely play virtual pins.

I'm also not as likely to be interested in one (at least until one can be seen/played), because I don't want to get interested in something I may not have space for when it gets here. I have two games coming and that fills up my pinball space. I have three games I would be OK selling to make room, but want to keep that space for AFMR/BBBR/CCR (whichever comes first), the Hobbit and JJP #3. And still want an AMH. And a third Elvira game.

I need games like Haunted Cruise or Full Throttle that can maximize space with kits.

Like another poster, I don't see how you make a real left ramp. But if the game is in the $8k range, Timeshock will have to be perfect in every way for me to consider it. I can buy a heck of a TV and PC to play it for that kind of money.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I thought this WAS going to be a physical machine...

Yes Ted, it certainly looks like a real whitewood vid to me. The confusion with Pinsiders might be the computer game vs a real machine. This should get interesting. I will be looking forward to more info on this game.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Pricing comparable to LE's have just taken me out of the game. I will never be able to justify a $8.5 K game.

Bingo. I would love, love, love to own a physical version of Timeshock. However, I refuse to pay that for a game.

#18 4 years ago

If this ends up at Stern LE pricing I'd argue it is better value. The 'extra' money buys you more game — not bling.

This looks like an amazing effort I am extremely impressed. Curious to see who they work with to manufacture it.

#19 4 years ago

I think at this point people want a little less talk and a lot more action.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Too many games being announced. Too much hype, hardly anything actually comes out.

#21 4 years ago

I mean, it seems like a really cool project.

The thing is it's missing a couple ingredients to make people excited right now.

First off, it's an unknown company, with no track record. This could be years away, or never happen, we just don't know. I wish them luck, and it all looks super professional so far, but actually building mass machines isn't for just anyone who tries.

Secondly, we already know how it plays. We already know what it sounds like. We already know the rules. The art has all been revealed, finished. We know this game. Now actually playing it in person? Very cool, totally interesting. But until then? It's more like an exercise in seeing how some puzzles are solved, some parts are cast. Neat, but there's just not much to talk about or discover that's *new*.

Thirdly the price has been hinted at expensive. Which is a buzz killer, there's already a lot of expensive titles (MMr, Big Lebowski, The Hobbit, etc) in the pipe. People are burnt on these super expensive games. There can only be so many at a time I think.

If I could play one at Expo that would be different, talking about it after people get their hands on it for real will be a whole new matter. When/if that will happen is totally unknown.

#22 4 years ago

This project is going on for years now. It was not really news this pin is being build. And it will take another year or two before a costumer get his nib home.

I hope next new pinmaker is not announcing until he has at least 50 ready to ship and fully coded pins.

#23 4 years ago

i will temper my enthusiasm until units ship, much like hobbit, jjp#3, sterns next game, tbl, etc. good times ahead for sure

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Too many games being announced!
    How many new games have been released besides America's Most Haunted?

For most of us, the idea is now "wait and see" (and I am currently waiting for 3 boutique games...that's more than enough). It will be a very crowded market for the boutique makers. Especially at LE price.

This looks an interesting project though...

#25 4 years ago

Timeshock! is too awesome to get into a heated discussion about.

#26 4 years ago

May as well call it Stickershock!
    A latecomer to an already saturated overpriced game market.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

This project is going on for years now. It was not really news this pin is being build. And it will take another year or two before a costumer get his nib home.
    I hope next new pinmaker is not announcing until he has at least 50 ready to ship and fully coded pins.

If that was to happen people would be in shock and too dumbfounded to order.

#28 4 years ago

I think the pinball world is collectively burned out on announcements with no games shipping for some time.

#29 4 years ago

With MMR not completely sold out at distributors, experts of dangerous and Vonnie D clubbed to death in the crib I still think there is room for new company to flourish. I for one am eyeing this project with great interest. I thinking it has a proven design and some of the engineering in this thing is going to be phenomenal. As far as price...well it is going to built overseas so 8k is par for the course. I mean can you blame them? MMR a rather inexpensive remake is selling for 8k, Stern's LEs have been selling decently at 8k and above. So when it comes to pricing we've only got ourselves to blame.

#30 4 years ago

I must have been living under a rock because I have never heard about or played this computer pinball game. Is it available for download on Apple devices? I can only find windows versions.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from jpolfer:

But most of the conversation on Pinside is about buying/owning/playing physical machines, in that order of priority.

Made my day. We might got into this because pinball was fun to play. But the obsession is about procuring and hoarding once you get the first one.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hi-Fi:

I must have been living under a rock because I have never heard about or played this computer pinball game. Is it available for download on Apple devices? I can only find windows versions.

It is from the 90s I believe and, yes, only for Windows. But there is a developer working on a modern 3D recreation that looks gorgeous and will be on iOS and Android, Windows and Mac: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/500643708/pro-pinball-timeshock-the-ultra-edition-0

#33 4 years ago

I dont usually get excited for new pins but the stuff coming out of Europe seems (we'll see when stuff starts shipping!)
    like it really going to shake things up for the US manufactures !
    This and TBL excited me more than the hobbit,MMr,AMH etc

Bring it on I say!

#34 4 years ago

After reading the pinball news article rather than just skimming, I'm more interested than I thought previously. It would certainly be a very interesting game in a collection.

Gonna bookmark this thread and wait for pricing info.

#36 4 years ago

This news is great. I started diving into the Timeshock ruleset the other night, and I have to say it's easily the best Pro Pinball game available. Although in real form without the wonky digital physics, it may be on a more even level with Big Race USA and Fantastic Journey (ignore the Web.. bleh). I am looking forward to seeing how the physical version pans out. I'm also keeping a close eye on the remade digital version of Timeshock as well.

Quoted from accidental:

It is from the 90s I believe and, yes, only for Windows. But there is a developer working on a modern 3D recreation that looks gorgeous and will be on iOS and Android, Windows and Mac: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/500643708/pro-pinball-timeshock-the-ultra-edition-0

Depends on where you are located. It was available on the PS1 in the USA, Dreamcast and original XBOX in Europe, PlayStation 2 in Japan (possibly Europe as well), etc., etc. Now you can get it on GOG.com for Windows, possibly Mac as well.

#37 4 years ago

DAMN!!!!! Great catch Ted!! I thought, "lame, this has been out forever, new versions I don't care, call me when they make it into a real table". ... DAMN!!! They are making it into a real table! Sooooooo cool. Always wondered if it could be made, maybe Pat intended it as a real table but no one bought the design so he went virtual. Whatever the case originally, WOW this will be a cool table if it plays like the Pro version. Great news.

#38 4 years ago

Thanks. A friend sent me a link and asked if I knew anything about it. I said I was not that interested in "video game" pinball. he said...Read it!

#39 4 years ago

Vaporware leaves it meh for me.
    I tend not to get excited about many new machines; just don't wanna pay the NIB fees.
    With MMr, Predator, and Lexy; I've seen and played the prototypes... so at least I can understand the excitment.
    Not so much for yet another new pinball company.
    Wish them luck; just waiting for real data.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Wish them luck; just waiting for real data.

Fair enough. It is a positive sign that they have a playable whitewood and they have said they are going to be outsourcing the manufacturing (could be Jersey Jack like Skit-B are doing with Experts of Dangerous, or Stern like PPS are doing with MMr, or HomePin's Chinese factory that is producing Thunderbirds and set up to outsource game production).

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

Fair enough. It is a positive sign that they have a playable whitewood and they have said they aren't going to be outsourcing the manufacturing (could be Jersey Jack like Skit-B are doing with Experts of Dangerous, or Stern like PPS are doing with MMr, or HomePin's Chinese factory that is producing Thunderbirds and set up to outsource game production).

Yes! I mean some people haven't even checked the video before they post dismissing the project...I was blown away by that playfield mechanics...if the rule set matches the design, this could be a top ten pin.

#42 4 years ago

Whoops, I just read your quote and realised I said they "aren't" going to be outsourcing. I meant to say they "are"

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

Fair enough. It is a positive sign that they have a playable whitewood and they have said they aren't going to be outsourcing the manufacturing (could be Jersey Jack like Skit-B are doing with Experts of Dangerous, or Stern like PPS are doing with MMr, or HomePin's Chinese factory that is producing Thunderbirds and set up to outsource game production).

My guess is that Dutch Pinball will be producing them.

#44 4 years ago

Bump for an update.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

Looks like they're coming along on the Ultra edition. According to the kickstarter updates, the builds for PC, Mac & iOS are currently in testing. Really looking forward to playing this on my ipad, as I never played it before. The lighting & graphics look even better than pinball arcade!

#46 4 years ago

Also, I think a whole lot of info was given in that Pinball News article. We know about what the machines will cost, when they plan on delivering, what is going to be included and where they are in development. I'm sure questions will pop up more frequently as time progresses, but for right now, I think there is enough info out to keep people satisfied at the moment.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Really looking forward to playing this on my ipad, as I never played it before. The lighting and graphics look even better than pinball arcade!

Me too, I've never played any of the Pinball Pro series. The iPad version is looking phenomenal! I wish this level of graphical fidelity was present in The Pinball Arcade.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

My guess is that Dutch Pinball will be producing them.

That would be my guess. Perfect fit.

#50 4 years ago

Nice

5.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 165.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 8,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    € 12.50
    $ 7,199.95
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 18.99
    $ 25.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 169.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    There are 321 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside