(Topic ID: 132298)

Why is there a shark on the Corvette playfield?

By cait001

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Darcy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images-2.jpeg
Mako_shark_1780366c.jpg
IMG_20150704_231847.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Why is this shark on the playfield? It is visible between the Skid Pad ramp loop, but not something you'd notice unless working on the game.
IMG_20150704_231847.jpgIMG_20150704_231847.jpg

I googled "corvette shark" and I found about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mako_Shark_%28concept_car%29 but is this car referenced in the game at all? Is it a secret thing?
Or just a random shoutout to some obscure Corvette history?

Because the art is certainly a mako shark:
Mako_shark_1780366c.jpgMako_shark_1780366c.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Mako Shark. You Guessed it correctly. It isn't that obscure.

#3 8 years ago

The Mako pretty much became the Corvette in the 60s.

#4 8 years ago

There is a GM story some were on the Internet or in a Corvette Book. The Mako Concept car team had to match the paint of a mounted shark on an executives wall, (maybe John DeLorean, or Zora Duntov). The team could never match the paint to the trophy. So someone stole the mounted shark and painted it to match the corvette, over night.

#5 8 years ago

Yet another clue that Jaws is Stern's next title!

#7 8 years ago

Yup, Mako Shark concept car in early 60's. This is the car that later became the 68 Corvette.

#8 8 years ago

images-2.jpegimages-2.jpeg

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Yet another clue that Jaws is Stern's next title!

Is this not some Nat.Geo. Shark Week hint?

#11 8 years ago

Check out the gills on the shark, if you check out a 65 - 66 Corvette you will see 3 vents in the fenders, a 67 has 5, just like the Mako shark.

#12 8 years ago

Thanks for all the info, everyone. For someone who doesn't know about cars, it wasn't some obvious factoid.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Is this not some Nat.Geo. Shark Week hint?

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from ckcsm:

Check out the gills on the shark, if you check out a 65 - 66 Corvette you will see 3 vents in the fenders, a 67 has 5, just like the Mako shark.

correction. the 1965 had 3 vents; the '66, 4 vents and the '67, 5 vents. 1967 also marked the last year of that stingray body style.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

correction. the 1965 had 3 vents; the '66, 4 vents and the '67, 5 vents. 1967 also marked the last year of that stingray body style.

I think if you check the 65 - 66 have the same fenders - 3 vents, 67 went to 5. 63 -4 had indents in the fenders but no vents, they were put in to help cool the engine compartment.

How does the game play? I may have to consider it as I do own a 1965 Corvette.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from ckcsm:

Corvette is a super fun game, and the game is all about collecting classic cars, so if you're a collector already, it might be especially up your alley.
It is super fast with a lot of great shots. And I def think it is still a value pin, considering how fun it is vs what it goes for.

#17 8 years ago

Why is there a shark on the playfield?

Because Gomez likes to party.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from ckcsm:

I think if you check the 65 - 66 have the same fenders - 3 vents, 67 went to 5. 63 -4 had indents in the fenders but no vents, they were put in to help cool the engine compartment.

yep, you were right. not sure why I thought what I did. and yes, 63-64 had 2 horizontal indents. my uncle had a 63 split window, and my dad a 64 before he restored a 67 from the ground up back when I was a kid. sold it too, right before I turned 16 and got my driver's license

#19 8 years ago

Too bad he got rid of the 67, I'm keeping mine as I have 2 sons, maybe someday they may enjoy it.

I'm into older cars so I would like to check out the Corvette machine.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

sold it too, right before I turned 16 and got my driver's license

My uncle did the same thing with his Boss Mustang. He said he wanted to sell it before my cousin stole the keys and wrecked it.

#21 8 years ago

In 1979 my Dads friend sold his 1953 Corvette. The last day he had the car, he let me drive it. Fun really, even though it had the Blue Flame 6. We never knew he had the car until that day. It was a check off the list kind of day.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Smyrna, TN
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 37.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Etten-leur, NB
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-there-a-shark-on-the-corvette-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.