Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by blizz81
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Heard so many people say Shadow is deep? I have it, love it but can't see how it is deep? Start the modes, collect 2 multiballs, complete battlefield and bingo - final battle! I haven't done this by the way.

So, guessing I must be missing something?! Have not had my game for that long either.

#2 7 years ago

I think the jackpot rules are pretty deep, ever get a triple jackpot?

#3 7 years ago

I haven't heard it referred to as deep as much as that it's "a player's pin".

#4 7 years ago

The Final Battle isn't easy to get to. The best I did was complete battlefield, 2 multiballs, and one mode and I got a decent 500 million out of it.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

+1 on this.

I think it is difficiult more than deep. I would agree its a players pin.

The left ramp that is protected by the two targets on each side of the entrance punish you if you hit em. Also the top ramp is sdtm if you dont quite make it up. Not an easy mini-playfield either.

Add a hard ruleset and call it a players pin.

My wife hates playing it because she says it is not fun....I like it alot tho.

#6 7 years ago

I call it a great pin

#7 7 years ago

Lol I think they mean its a Deep sounding game . Sure it aint deep but its dam entertaining..

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

+1

#9 7 years ago

IMO, a pin with a wizard mode, is a deep game.

#10 7 years ago

It isn't the easiest game to do and there is plenty on it. Compare it to MB which is fairly easy to get through.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

Lol if thats the case then what is TSPP???? Super Wizard mode

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

boogies said:

Lol if thats the case then what is TSPP???? Super Wizard mode

what about games with mulitple wizards modes? Or fh? super frenzy is a wizard mode, but it isn't that hard to attain.

#13 7 years ago

I call it a players pin in the same vein as bsd. Fast and punishing with heavy rewards for proficient play

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

WOF is miles deeper than IJ4. A wiz mode alone doesn't make a game deep.

While Shadow is deeper than BSD, it's still in the 'player's game' category IMO. Almost deep, but not quite. The third flipper and diverters help.

-phish

#15 7 years ago

I call TS hard as heck!
very difficult game imo

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

I call TS hard as heck!
very difficult game imo

+1 I've had it for 2 months and have only reached the final battle a few times. I wish the game would call out the countdown on the final battle. It's difficult trying to see how many hits are left while you're playing.

#17 7 years ago

I have a love/hate relationship with my Shadow. Love how it looks and plays but hate how short some of my ball times can be or get punished down the middle for a bad shot.

#18 7 years ago

Countdown? Is the Final Battle on a timer or do you just mean the number if shots countdown?

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Natetheviking:

Countdown? Is the Final Battle on a timer or do you just mean the number if shots countdown?

Both, I can't remember exactly how many, 25?to 30 shots in 30 seconds. If you don't hit all the shots in the 30 seconds the battle scenes start over again.

#20 7 years ago

Final battle isn't a timed mode...

You do get a long ball saver though (30 seconds), after that as long as you have 2 balls left in play you can attempt to make all 27 shots...

#21 7 years ago

It is a VERY hard game. I would be willing to bet that alot of the people that own it or played it haven't gotten a super jackpot in Khan Multiball. You have to finish all the jackpot shots, then get a ball onto the upper playfield and hit the right drop target to get the super, while still having balls on the lower playfield too...

The average player wouldn't even be able to get to Final Battle, let alone finish it..

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Final battle isn't a timed mode...
You do get a long ball saver though (30 seconds), after that as long as you have 2 balls left in play you can attempt to make all 27 shots...

I never made the connection that once the multiball stops it resets to all scenes I thought it was when the 30 secs were up. I guess I need a spotter, thanks tom

#23 7 years ago

It's deep for when it was made, I suppose. Getting to final battle is as easy as getting the start mode shot down, you can always hold the ball and time the mode out if you've met the other requirements and you just want to get through the modes. You can backhand that saucer btw.

Id say it has lasting power more than depth - video mode is still fun after you've played it 100 times. Lots to do on the playfield: 2 ramps, 2 orbits, 3 saucers, drop target/magnet shot, battlefield toy, third flipper loop, diverters.

#24 7 years ago

For its time it is deep; they can't all be TSPP (nor should they be).

Has a lot to do and challenging to do it.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

It is a VERY hard game. I would be willing to bet that alot of the people that own it or played it haven't gotten a super jackpot in Khan Multiball. You have to finish all the jackpot shots, then get a ball onto the upper playfield and hit the right drop target to get the super, while still having balls on the lower playfield too...
The average player wouldn't even be able to get to Final Battle, let alone finish it..

Wow, that is a tough super jackpot - not even come close!

Think I nearly got a super on shadow multiball as I think you just have to hit jackpots and then super lights up....

#26 7 years ago

Challenging rather than deep. Awesome game however. I love it and complements my other two pins. Fast and tough compared to a LOTR epic undertaking and a Cyclone quick blast of fun.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Rick471:

Add a hard ruleset and call it a players pin.

Thats what I was thinking. It will punish you for missing a shot. I do that a lot, most of the time really.

#28 7 years ago

Not necessarily among the "deepest" games, but a thinker's game for sure.

-Multiple different approaches to get through the story
-Positioning diverters the right way to set up your next shot, and into combos
-Long combo possibilities (up to 7, I think?)
-Difficult to achieve super jackpots
-Difficult to achieve super vengeance
-Deciding when NOT to light the KHAN letters (keeping the Khan saucer available as a scene start once Khan MB has been completed)
-Working certain features (Vengeance, Mongol) into scenes that require those shots - (ie. starting Vengeance during Farley Claymore, and just nailing ramp shots over and over.)

And as discussed, getting to the Final Battle is hard, but beating it is the real challenge in this game. After almost 3 months of regular play, I still haven't managed to complete it.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

That super is neigh impossible. Made final battle twice in the 2 yrs I owned it. Never completed it.
Great, hard, and deep, game. One of the few I miss.

Deep:

Multiball
Vengeance modes
Combos
6 Modes
Wizard Mode
Diverters
Battle Field
Stack able modes with Multiball
Loop master

Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. I think it is plenty deep.

#30 7 years ago

I have owned this game for 3 months and am reading about stuff I did not know existed! Going to take a long time to understand this pin which is just fine.

#31 7 years ago

I've gotten the khan super jackpot once in my 2 years of ownership, and have yet to beat the final battle. Soooo close sooo many times

keeps me coming back.

#32 7 years ago

I think we've seen one khan super jackpot in a ton of plays at my buddies' place. Also, closest we've seen is one shot left on final battle, though it's not entirely rare to reach. But as far as scoring shots or strategies, I don't think it's terribly complex. Pretty much left flipper, I'm going for scenes, and right flipper, going for battlefield to stack extra balls (on his, unlike some, you can't just keep the upper flipper out and send a loop shot to the khan to start a scene). Ramps are too dangerous to warrant the scoring from vengeance. Up to just over 4.3 bil with this strategy, though no tilt bob and non-functioning battlefield drop target so it's always ready.

I don't mind scene-heavy games, and TS plays fast and furious. Wouldn't mind if there was a bit more scoring available in the multiballs - to me, they're most valuable to collect an extra ball when lit/when you need it. Hard to hide balls with no pops.

#33 7 years ago

I've gotten the Kahn super jackpot a few times in the one year I have owned the game - once it was a double super which was really cool.

I have beaten the final battle twice, but my game is set to five ball play

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from nutshell79:

I have beaten the final battle twice, but my game is set to five ball play

I was getting very impressed, now I am just impressed, not very since you did it on 5 ball.

#35 7 years ago

Still just as hard to hit all the shots in five ball...maybe easier to get there, but gotta hit all the shots

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PCB Emporium
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside