(Topic ID: 236678)

Why is the marketplace starting to look like Craigslist?

By Crile1

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by newovad
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 months ago

I enjoy scanning through the marketplace adds. Seeing what is available. Salivating on what I wish I could have. And sometimes see something that I feel warrants selling or trading off one of my own. However, I have been noticing that the adds lately are getting a little nuts. I've seen quite a few "players condition" games going for 1k or more over the archive price. Lots of games with "some led's" and "some cracked plastics" going for pristine or even restored prices. What's up with that? These are common on Craigslist where prices are usually 1k to 2k overpriced, but pinside marketplace adds are usually reasonable. Also, lots more firm adds. One even said would not respond to any offers other than firm. I guess maybe people feel the supposed market saturation that is coming will drop used prices so everyone is trying to make a buck. I would think a players condition game (worn spots and maybe a cracked plastic) would put you at the bottom end of the market archive price. Is this just me? On the other hand, Zampinator put a bunch of pins with great mods in great HUO condition for extremely reasonable prices. I almost jumped at one...but the drive was a bit too much. So, I guess there are the diamonds in the rough...but used to be those were the common adds.

#2 3 months ago

My guess is maybe some of the Craigslist posters realize they can't sell them on Craigslist so they joined pinside hoping that they can sell them here in a pinball community.

Who knows for sure. A game is only worth what somebody is willing to pay you for it.

#3 3 months ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

I enjoy scanning through the marketplace adds. Seeing what is available. Salivating on what I wish I could have. And sometimes see something that I feel warrants selling or trading off one of my own. However, I have been noticing that the adds lately are getting a little nuts. I've seen quite a few "players condition" games going for 1k or more over the archive price. Lots of games with "some led's" and "some cracked plastics" going for pristine or even restored prices. What's up with that? These are common on Craigslist where prices are usually 1k to 2k overpriced, but pinside marketplace adds are usually reasonable. Also, lots more firm adds. One even said would not respond to any offers other than firm. I guess maybe people feel the supposed market saturation that is coming will drop used prices so everyone is trying to make a buck. I would think a players condition game (worn spots and maybe a cracked plastic) would put you at the bottom end of the market archive price. Is this just me? On the other hand, Zampinator put a bunch of pins with great mods in great HUO condition for extremely reasonable prices. I almost jumped at one...but the drive was a bit too much. So, I guess there are the diamonds in the rough...but used to be those were the common adds.

Is there a question in here or just a stream of consciousness rant?

If you don't like a price or an ad, ignore it. Unless you think pinside needs to start removing ads that are too craigslisty?

Honestly, you really shouldn't worry about it. I'm told the bubble is about to burst any day now.

#4 3 months ago

I think it's more along the lines of people are overpaying for games originally because they don't know any better or have to have it now, sometimes paying to have the game shipped on top of that, then adding $500 worth of LEDs and mods to it and when they go to sell they are still expecting to get as much as they have into it or more back. Game prices continue to climb for the most part, so when people go to sell a game to get another, many people simply cannot afford or don't want to take a $1000 bath on the game they bought so they list it for what they have into it and cross their fingers that they find another buyer to fall for it like they did.

#5 3 months ago

Because people are willing to pay more for games than they were in the past. A lot of games are just sitting though - an ad does not mean a sale. But by and large NIB are getting close to 10k, and that shuts out a lot of people who are just now getting in.

My question is where are all the pre-DMD SS games? I almost NEVER see those for sale, and I’d love to get something that’s an ok game for 1k-1.5k and flip it in a few months.

#6 3 months ago

The OP can do his part by posting a bunch of reasonably-priced non-craigslist-style ads in the market place.

Like I did with my Mr. and Miss Pac-Man with minor dimpling!

We are all in this together.

#7 3 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The OP can do his part by posting a bunch of reasonably-priced non-craigslist-style ads in the market place.
    Like I did with my Mr. and Miss Pac-Man with minor dimpling!
    We are all in this together.

Yeah you sold that hotdogging game pretty quick.

#8 3 months ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Because people are willing to pay more for games than they were in the past. A lot of games are just sitting though - an ad does not mean a sale. But by and large NIB are getting close to 10k, and that shuts out a lot of people who are just now getting in.
    My question is where are all the pre-DMD SS games? I almost NEVER see those for sale, and I’d love to get something that’s an ok game for 1k-1.5k and flip it in a few months.

I listed my Circus in that exact range yesterday. We could be further apart, but not by much more. Funny coincidence is all.

#9 3 months ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Yeah you sold that hotdogging game pretty quick.

Must have been underpriced. I should have gone all Craigslist on it!!!

I have a feeling the OP is only really interested in the most expensive, A list stuff, which probably explains why all the high-priced ads are sticking out to him.

#10 3 months ago

I was kind of thinking there were more sellers than buyers but or maybe that's just me.

#11 3 months ago

Since when has Pinside not been the place to get top dollar on your sales?

#12 3 months ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

My question is where are all the pre-DMD SS games? I almost NEVER see those for sale...

Here you go, you can thank me later.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/75325

#13 3 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm told the bubble is about to burst any day now.

OK man, I need the get these pins out the door!

#14 3 months ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

and I’d love to get something that’s an ok game for 1k-1.5k and flip it in a few months.

You, me, and everyone else on this site.

Craigslist guys get there price guide from pinside.

#16 3 months ago

I was just joking around since it helped the point of this thread nicely.

#17 3 months ago

OP is not alone. I have no interest in the healthy portion of full price retail ads listed there either.

I don’t dispute their ability to post. I’m fully aware I can ignore them. I can also ignore people talking in a movie, but I would rather go to a movies without talkers.

It all comes down to a matter of convenience. I want the best product. For me, the best product is away to filter out the sellers that I do not want to see ads from.

#18 3 months ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

I was just joking around since it helped the point of this thread nicely.

I know. I forgot to add

When someone’s only posts are For Sale ads that don’t sell, I think that says a lot about how they’ve priced things now and in the past.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 999.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.00
    Boards
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Led
    Geeteoh Electronics
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 259.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 189.99
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside