You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20130119_173619.jpg
20130119_173629.jpg
images.jpeg
ww.jpg
There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 11 years ago

20,000 made, plenty around, but near impossible to find a sub-$4k machine. I know it's a good game, but why does it command such a relatively high price? Is demand that strong?

#2 11 years ago

Most popular machine ever made..

#3 11 years ago

It has a nearly universal appeal. And it's just plain fun to play. My favorite multiball start too.

#4 11 years ago

Because its just one of the best if not the best pin ever! Some say its slow but, they playfield has so much going on. The magnets are incredible!

#5 11 years ago

Demand.

#7 11 years ago

Along with the obvious demand it is also worth note that I would guess a disproportionate amount of games are >>>

#1 > dead forever in the trash as they got played like crazy and many eventually got so thrashed that they were pillaged for parts and sent to the pinball graveyard.

and

#2> still on routes earning decent money.

#8 11 years ago

That's my luck, I get into pinball when the market is going up, recently getting into purchasing my first pin after attending a pinball convention, of course the first pin I want is taf and got sticker shock when looking up prices, so taf is on hold for now and settled on a nice f-14 for 1/4 of the price, and have had a lot of fun with it so far.

#9 11 years ago

Because 20000 people want one.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Some say its slow

I've played some fairly fast ones. I know it's no tron or ac/dc but it can be set up to be fairly quick. Maybe my advancing age is showing with that statement.

The high price is a combo of (near) universal appeal, route operators not being very willing to sell as they are still earning, high demand (because alot of people played them in the day and now want them).

#11 11 years ago

Another thing to keep in mind is that there are a lot of parts being reproduced for the machine, so people who own the game are starting to fix them up and make them nice.

#12 11 years ago

If I had to sell them all I would keep TAF.

#13 11 years ago

A whole lot of people love it.

#14 11 years ago

GO AHEAD, hit the ball, I've got a whole BUCKETFUL!!

Some of the best humor ever in a machine. One of the few titles you can own for ten years and not get tired of.

HAHAHA, you're a FUNNY Guy!

Rest in peace.

#15 11 years ago

Best game ever. Last year you could get a reasonably clean plalyer for <3500.

#16 11 years ago

I didn't realize how much I loved TAF until I got one back. I bought it again the same time I found MM. I love MM too but, TAF remains.

#17 11 years ago

It has such a great universal theme that any one, no matter skill level can walk up and just play it and have a great time... Thing is such a cool feature too!

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I love MM too but, TAF remains.

so... if they were worth the same are you telling me you'd still sell the mm?

#19 11 years ago

Great game. TAF won't leave the stable for a long, long time. Simple fun. Easy to understand rules allowing for non-pinheads to step up and learn it quickly (and get hooked).

#20 11 years ago

My buddy has a mint, original, TAFG with certificate and the game is an absolute blast.

I worry a little bit about the folks who don't like it.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

so... if they were worth the same are you telling me you'd still sell the mm?

I think so yes. I'm having more fun with TAF right now than all of my pins. Now when friends come over ACDC is still the hit.

#22 11 years ago

I really thought MM was my grail for a while but, I realize now I don't have a grail. I like them all.

#23 11 years ago

I'd love a TAF in good condition, but the "so much" always stops me. Apparently, I don't want it bad enough.

#24 11 years ago

many are sitting around rotting in warehouses yet. Many are still routed making money. Nice ones command good money, routed average POS isn't as much as you think. Just have to find them.

#25 11 years ago

I know TAF may seem fairly expensive, but it's all relative. Compared to other games and the way prices are out there, right now it seems to be a pretty good value. Especially for how popular it is. Cut the production number of the game by three quarters, and you would have a game priced up closer to MM, AFM, MB, and many others.

I consider Twilight Zone to be the same situation. Honestly, with the way things are, people should be very glad these two titles exist in the numbers they do.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Some of the best humor ever in a machine. One of the few titles you can own for ten years and not get tired of.
HAHAHA, you're a FUNNY Guy!
Rest in peace.

I love when you get a good bonus (over 20 mil, I think) and he yells "WHO SAYS YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU!!!!" I also like when the flippers occasionally go "snap snap" to the music.

It's the "Pac-Man" of the pinball world...even people who casually know pinball ALWAYS know Addams Family, and often want one. I wouldn't be surprised if many single-game owners have an Addams.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

even people who casually know pinball ALWAYS know Addams Family, and often want one. I wouldn't be surprised if many single-game owners have an Addams.

Exactly. Besides being a great game in most people's eyes, this is the game many people were exposed to while they were younger. When they look for a game, this is the first one they are drawn to.

#28 11 years ago

Most were trashed...there are only a few nice ones left, demand is high for it, first rule-set of its kind (mode-based), great sound, good toy, magnets, one of the best multiball starts ever, cool lightshow, and all this on top of being a pretty damn good game = high prices.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

first rule-set of its kind (mode-based),

Simmer down now...let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here

#30 11 years ago

great pin, every time i get to play it, i still enjoy it. would be tough to get rid of it. if it came down to keeping only 5 in my lineup, it would probably be in those 5

#31 11 years ago

The special thing about TAF is that there's a lot of demand from non-pinheads.

Pinheads know it's a good game, but are also interested in games like TZ, MM, ..

Non-pinheads that only want one machine for home all want the one they remember most: TAF.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Actually, it is KEEP the ball. Gomez yells it when he is hitting golf balls through the window in the movie. (I thought it was I've got a whole pocketful... Of balls, get it? But it is Bucketful)

Sorry... not trying to be nit-picky...

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Simmer down now...let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here

I've always been told that...was it not? What was the first game to have a "Mansion-like" ladder, if you will, to get to the wizard mode?

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

What was the first game to have a "Mansion-like" ladder, if you will, to get to the wizard mode?

Don't know what the "first" was but WhirlWind was mode based. BK2000 I've heard was the first Wizard Mode.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Don't know what the "first" was but Whirlwind was mode based. BK2000 I've heard was the first Wizard Mode.

Whirlwind is mode-based? I've never got that impression the handful of times I've played it. It seemed to me that the object was to start multiball by "moving" the storm around to light the locks. What are the modes? I assume you aren't talking about the cellar awards since those aren't modes. Did I miss an entire feature of that game somehow?

First wizard mode I'm not sure about...

#36 11 years ago

The celler award awards the modes that light up on the backglass. Getting them all gives you a bonus and some celler door awards....aka a Wizard mode of sorts.

million shot, pops at max, quick multball, 500k, 100k target etc etc...modes. ww.jpgww.jpg

#37 11 years ago

I was lucky, mid last year I picked up my HUO for 3,500!

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from Iamdarras:

This forum really need an "Envy" button up there with the thumbs up/down. SRSLY.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from Iamdarras:

That's a crazy good deal if it is in good condition! Around me a pristine HUO would easily sell for 6-7 k and up.

Here's why the pin is so good- my sister, who always hated video games growing up, came to my house over the holidays with her kids and ended playing TAF over and over (she had never played it before). She kept going back to it for 'one more game', and when she left she was asking where she could get one for her family. If someone who has little to no interest in pinball gets that excited by it, it must be something special.

#40 11 years ago

I am not a huge pinballer yet, but the first machine I had to get was TAF. Mike(GAP) in Chicago built a custom "black" edition. It was delivered today and I'm in the basement taking the plastic/cardboard off of it now! Pictures to follow hopefully!

#41 11 years ago

congrats

#42 11 years ago

Extremely broad appeal, and a very decent rule set. Not sexist, and child friendly. And its a VERY fun game.
as for it's price, I think it's one of the most affordable machines with it's level of popularity.

#43 11 years ago

I didn't fully understand the love for TAF until I played a very clean version of the game. The two big objectives in the game are incredibly simple (Tour the Mansion and Greed), but the mansion modes coupled with the little side things like train wreck, the swamp and Thing Flips provide a lot of little quirks to decision making. The layout is pretty clever and when things like the kickout behavior are dialed in, it is in that sweet spot of being physically challenging...but not unfairly difficult.

It's an awesome game. Plus, it made Twilight Zone possible. So that's another plus.

#44 11 years ago

Because it's the greatest creation known to man.

#45 11 years ago

I guess that makes me an A$$ cause I have two of them. LOL Never know when one needs a spare taf

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The celler award awards the modes that light up on the backglass. Getting them all gives you a bonus and some celler door awards....aka a Wizard mode of sorts.
million shot, pops at max, quick multball, 500k, 100k target etc etc...modes.

that is a random award from the cellar door. Taxi has the same setup from the santa saucer. I wouldn't call that a mode tree.

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

that is a random award from the cellar door.

Not random at all. The blinking light is the available option when the celler is lit. I believe the pop bumpers are what moves the blinking value around. Modes completed stay lit, lighting all of them awards points and lights awards...I don't know how that isn't a mode?

If you look at the "tree" It has a point award, 2 ball multi, EB, hit target for points...these are all the same rooms on TAF.

EDIT: Like "tour the mansion," mega door bonus awards points, lights EB, lights modes. Not in the same fashion of TAF though.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Not random at all. The blinking light is the available option when the celler is lit. I bleieve the pop bumpers are what moves the blinking value around. Modes completed stay lit, lighting all of them awards points and lights awards...I don't know how that isn't a mode?.
If you look at the "tree" It has a point award, 2 ball multi, EB, hit target for points...these are all the same rooms on TAF.

Except there is seance, mamushka, tunnel hunt, and cousin it for TAF...those are "real" modes. The points and max pop bumpers and targets are not a mode. Granted, TAF has a lot of these non-modes too. What do you get when you complete all the Whirlwind "modes"? A wizard mode?

#49 11 years ago

Yeah sorry i was editing it when you typed. Yes wizard, Mega Door Bonus.
So they aren't "real modes?" It's a Lawlor man, it's 95% the same layout, everything is basically the same. Excpet of course TAF was newer and had more features sure. THere are points rooms/doors on TZ/TAF, 2 ball multis on all those games etc etc.

Maybe you can just trust me since you've only played it a "hand full of times?"

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

20,000 made, plenty around, but near impossible to find a sub-$4k machine. I know it's a good game, but why does it command such a relatively high price? Is demand that strong?

Anymore silly questions?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-taf-so-much and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.