• 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pinnyheadhead
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Simple question , what is the answer ?

#2 4 years ago

What makes any pin fun? Not everyone likes it but Steve Ritchie knows a thing or to on how to make a fun pin. It has great flow, great sound, and a fantastic light show. Play it and see for yourself. I knew I wanted to buy one the first game I played.

#3 4 years ago

Because it doesn't suffer from any gameplay reductions to make it a pro.

#4 4 years ago

friggin ramp fest....we play one in my local league....
ramp orgasm when you get into a groove....

#5 4 years ago

Flow, combos, Warp ramp, call outs, sounds, light show.

#6 4 years ago

Layout, toys, code & art. All solid.

*Edit I'm a dork for some reason I was thinking we were talking about MET.

I think ST Pro for fast flowing layout with very good lighting. Code had improved a lot as well.

#7 4 years ago

Just a smooth, fun shooting game, and blowing stuff up is always a plus on any game.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Layout, toys, code & art. All solid

That sums it up. I will add that I had issues with the Vengeance magnet /opto issue during Vengeance muli-ball . The balls would stick to each other like white on rice. I could not fix no matter what I did. Was ready to sell it. But the new 1.61 code STERN finally fixed the issue . I was in a state of shock. Fun pinball to just enjoy and there is a shaker Motor integration that is on almost every shot. Plus the Pro model is a good value for the dollar . As I bought the Limited Edition $$$ .

#9 4 years ago

I like the excitement it brings. The sounds, voices and the lighting make you feel like you are in a galactic battle....it's a rush!

#10 4 years ago

All of the above and when you play, your ball times can be fairly long.... makes you feel like a champ. The pro is alot of pin for your buck.

#11 4 years ago

DOUBLE....SUPER.....JACKPOT!!!!!

#12 4 years ago

The value of it. It plays similar against the Premium and LE.
The beauty of it. With the Aurich translite it is a pretty pin.
The flow and buttery ramps.
It balances out IM.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

I will add that I had issues with the Vengeance magnet /opto issue during Vengeance muli-ball . The balls would stick to each other like white on rice. I could not fix no matter what I did. Was ready to sell it. But the new 1.61 code STERN finally fixed the issue . I was in a state of shock.

Finally! I am glad the update fixed it for you.

#14 4 years ago

What's the current take on the cost/value on this vs the Premium?

Normally I would assume Premium for home use, but I keep hearing good things about the Pro....

Backstory: I'm looking for a fun, fast, flowy game to balance out my TSPP....

Ps - I love ramps!

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Normally I would assume Premium for home use, but I keep hearing good things about the Pro....
Ps - I love ramps!

Gameplay wise, the Pro is great value and very similar to the Premium. If you want extra flashiness and bling and have the money, then the Premium can be a nice score. I think most people with the Pro are very satisfied, and it is one of the best bang for the buck new pins out there.

#16 4 years ago

Unlike Walking Dead, its because it uses the original music, the original sound effects and most important the original actors voices.
Shame on you Stern for crippling Walking Dead. If you couldn't secure the license for that stuff, then you should have made the machine based on the comics.
Walking Dead is one of the most popular tv shows on right now. That machine should have sold like hot cakes.
Its my understanding the Paramount handed them all of the sound effects and voices that they could ever use for Star Trek. Great game.

#17 4 years ago

You can feel very comfortable going with the Pro version on this one. I played the LE for several months before buying a Pro (for monetary reasons) and figured I would have many moments of "I wish I would have gotten the LE or Premium" but have had none like that. This game is truly awesome for all the reasons mentioned above. It is an experience.

There is one big thing the pro is missing and that is a Shaker Motor! Get one right away. (the Cointaker one is the one I bought and it is awesome!). Get that and you will be happy.

#18 4 years ago

It flows great, but over rated. None of the shots are particularly challenging. Also i think pop bumper nests that dribble out the ball the same way defeat the purpose of a pop bumper. There are a decent number of games I'd rate above it.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

There are a decent number of games I'd rate above it.

Such as?

I'm looking for a fun, fast "walk-up-and-play" game to complement my new TSPP.

My first choice is MB, but that is proving elusive....

#20 4 years ago

TRON would fit that need.....

Quoted from lowepg:

Such as?

#21 4 years ago

They did the perfect job of integrating theme with the game. Perfect. Call outs are varied and fun. Music is awesome. Art is great.

Throw in shaker, upgrade the woofer, a few mods...Aurich's art package..and you have a HOME RUN. Out of the park.

It's a fun game to boot. It will live as an all-time classic.

#22 4 years ago

Wish I had the same feelings. It's my least favorite game in my line-up now. It's my wife's favorite though or I would have a WTT for something else at this point. People complain about the "chopping wood" of TF and yet I feel like more of a lumberjack playing ST then I do my TF. Different strokes for different folks I guess but I really want to love this game as it's so\uch a nice looking machine.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good game (would never put it in the great category) but even under the new code it got old for me fast and the scoring feels even more lopsided now then it did before in the older code.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Such as?

I traded my st for xmen.. Best trade I ever made.

#24 4 years ago

It is currently good, but not great. It still has some bugs that need to be worked out.

To answer you question...

I think it is so good because:
1. Relatable theme
2. EASY for a noob to walk up and know what to do >> bash the vengance
3. Easy for a noob that has fun to dig a little deeper >> ohhh I can select different modes and then hit the correct flashing light
4. Easy for a player to understand the game has lots of challenge and strategy
5. Along with #4, the game now has fewer scoring exploits and lots of ways to play through the game both competitively and for fun
6. Good light show and call out immersion
7. Game finally has code that matches the physical risk/reward of the layout. The game now accepts that it is build around flow so the code rewards those that keep the ball moving and make their shots. Combos and getting medal are worth the effort. Plus no more timing out forces a player to actually play the game.
8. Maybe the most important for all other steps >> IMMERSION. Few games do a good job of making the player get IN to the game. ST has the ability through light, sound, gameplay, and ruleset to make the lpayer forget they are playing pinball and be more of a quest in a game.

Risk/reward, fun to shoot, complimenting ruleset, fun call outs from real actors, good light show. This is one of the few games to really figure out the equation in a long time. I still hope it gets more polish as honestly it can be made even better with subtle tweaks (plus the bug fixes).

#25 4 years ago

I shoudl also add that the pro is not cheap'd out. It actually has a spinner, good number or shots, targets instead of just nubs.

I think the overall equation to a great game is pretty simple but rarely do all the needed things come together. Many things are likely cut from design early on to save a few bucks. This is short sighted and sad.

#26 4 years ago

When i first walked up to it, I believed i was going to hate it. I was wrong.

My wife is not a Star Trek fan, but she loves the game. She's a infrequent/novice player, so i think these elements make it appealing:

- It's approachable, and fairly simple. You instantly know what to do. The game is not overly deep or hard (and why some people don't like it)
- FLOW is everything
- The game keeps feeding the player back the ball for the next shot. Guess that is Flow again......

#27 4 years ago

Star trek is a good game.

+ spectacular lightshow (to compete with woz) on the premium and le
+ easy, fast ramps and flow
+ original sound and calls
+ lots of modes

But to me a little overrated

- shots are a little too easy
- not enough usage of torpedo's

When not playing a mode... what's there to do?: warp ramp, locks and vengeance.
Those 3 can be run during modes, so you rarely play without a running mode.
For example in sttng: you have warp + different warp awards, locks, ramp towards extra ball or 5M+ combo, holodeck, neutral zone, advance in rank, multipliers really worth going for, .. this is a bit missing from the Stern Star trek .

It's a good game, but in my opinion, a little overrated

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Ps - I love ramps!

I have the LE and to me it has enough 'bling' to justify the price.

While I give the nod to the pro for value, nothing will make it as good as the LE, I mean no amounts of mods will ever equal the premium / LE for the color changing inserts, I first saw them on AcDc premium but on ST premium it's another world better.

For me:
Color changing inserts
Power coated armor and lighted etching that can be seen both inside the and out.
The crashing ship is pretty damn cool
The laser light show is cool, hopeful better when I get the black out mod.
The head lights on the LE is also fairly nice.

Overall, to me STLE is one of the most beautiful pins especially the lights.

I'm bittersweet with my STLE, I love it but it took the place of MMR in my collection, it was more instant gratification as I got the STLE 1-2 years before I would have got the MMR.

#29 4 years ago

Agree with Whysnow. Great for noobs and casual players but super deep if you keep a game for many years (like I do). I have PotC for 8 years and can easily foresee keeping STLE for a decade or more.

With that in mind, it didn't bother me paying another $3k extra for the LE. Technically the pro is just about the same, but with bling of the premium LE I figured it's going to be worth it for me as I'm likely to keep it 10+ years so I wanted no regrets.

#30 4 years ago

Thanks.... Actually leaning towards ST right now after a long search for a "new game."

Tried really hard to love TWD, but I can't. Want to love TH, but it'll be another year till I see one to be able to play it.

Was hoping for GOT, but kiss was announced, so now it's shit of get off the pot time. It's either my "Grail pin" MB (and a pile more money) or ST.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Thanks.... Actually leaning towards ST right now after a long search for a "new game."
Tried really hard to love TWD, but I can't. Want to love TH, but it'll be another year till I see one to be able to play it.
Was hoping for GOT, but kiss was announced, so now it's shit of get off the pot time. It's either my "Grail pin" MB (and a pile more money) or ST.

If you can pull out a prem or LE go for it! The light show alone is worth it and sucks you into the theme even more! pro on this title is no joke either so you really can't go wrong; but having the full experience of this game is awesome unlike some past prem/LE games.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

having the full experience of this game is awesome unlike some past prem/LE games.

I wish more pros were as complete. I think Tron pro is fairly close as well. But a while back I was debating between Met pro or premium vs IM. I elected to go with IM since I didn't have to debate if I was getting the wrong version.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I don't think you can go wrong with this game...and if it isn't catching your attention...set the pitch a tad higher and let the ball fly. Among the factors I noted earlier, I love how incredibly fast this game is.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Such as?

MET trumps ST easily in this category, if you're talking about easily purchasable games. ST seems like a long drawn out game, where is MET is more fast and furious and a shorter game.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from johnnyfive:

MET trumps ST easily in this category, if you're talking about easily purchasable games. ST seems like a long drawn out game, where is MET is more fast and furious and a shorter game.

Love the Met artwork, fun game to play, but I dont love the music enough to listen to it in my home collection....

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from johnnyfive:

Man I gotta disagree. Had these side by side. Metallica felt more grinding to get the game opened up and moving. It's great when that happens but so much effort to get that going. ST is tough if your only goal is to get amok or 5 year mission; but there's so many other things to do along the way and the action all starts as soon as you hit start not after bashing a bunch of targets a dozen times.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Man I gotta disagree. Had these side by side. Metallica felt more grinding to get the game opened up and moving. It's great when that happens but so much effort to get that going. ST is tough if your only goal is to get amok or 5 year mission; but there's so many other things to do along the way and the action all starts as soon as you hit start not after bashing a bunch of targets a dozen times.

Same here. Not a big fan of bash toys and that seems to be a big part of Metallica. I haven't played it much but it just didn't grab me like ST did when I first played it. Right from the start, ST has the lightshow and blasting theatrical sounds to make every shot exciting. Getting multiball is not hard and there is all kinds of different ways to score points.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Same here. Not a big fan of bash toys and that seems to be a big part of Metallica. I haven't played it much but it just didn't grab me like ST did when I first played it. Right from the start, ST has the lightshow and blasting theatrical sounds to make every shot exciting. Getting multiball is not hard and there is all kinds of different ways to score points.

Yup...this game really hits a sweet spot on so many levels. A+

#39 4 years ago

Thanks for all the interesting comments. I am going to buy the Pro.

Actually many of my favorite pins do not have a bash toy.....Congo, Shadow, & Dracula. Good programming trumps all.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Right from the start, ST has the lightshow and blasting theatrical sounds to make every shot exciting.

I firmly believe that ST has the best original music ever written for a pin. Simply put, David Thiel knocked it out of the park!

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from beefzap:

Actually many of my favorite pins do not have a bash toy.....Congo, Shadow, & Dracula. Good programming trumps all.

Definitely get a shaker and upgrade woofer (sub). I also added a few other touches that were relatively inexpensive but have really added to the bling factor on the Pro...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-clubmembers-only/page/49#post-2187803

Have fun with the game. It's fantastic

#42 4 years ago

Met is good don't get me wrong, outstanding PF artwork, has nice ramps and Sparky is cool, but to me ST flows a lot more. Three flippers and three ramps less things to bash.

I'd say they are equal but if theme is the deciding factor, I far prefer ST. I could not listen to Met songs endlessly, maybe if I substituted different bands in like Sabbith for a few songs but I'm not really that much into Metallica.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from beefzap:

One came up for sale in st. Augustine on the village. If you ever get down that way.

Good choice! I love mine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
4,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Des Moines, IA
$ 50.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside