You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

124-2421_IMG.JPG
IMAG4204.jpg
2015-01-05-12-34-07--387254961.jpeg
106068.jpg

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Sometimes a game is hard to find even though a decent number of them were made. I have played about 4 different Gottlieb 'Gladiators' machines and seen them for sale. I have only played 1 Robo-War machine back in 2006 at a show. Both machines have similar production runs. Why is Robo-War so rare?

#2 9 years ago

good question. I am guessing they did poor, went overseas, and many are now in the landfill?

How many TX-sector and Excalibur and Genesis have you played for comparisons?

#3 9 years ago

System 80 machines were heavily exported.

I can't confirm this, but maybe by the time the System 3 platform came about - this wasn't the case.

I've seen tons of more Systems 3 pins here stateside compared to the B series with the exception of Genesis...

#4 9 years ago

I wonder if some were cannibalized for parts early in their lives because of common points of failure.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I wonder if some were cannibalized for parts early in their lives because of common points of failure.

I don't think there are many common points of failure, are there?

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I don't think there are many common points of failure, are there?

Honestly, I can't think of any myself unless there was something game-specific.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

good question. I am guessing they did poor, went overseas, and many are now in the landfill?
How many TX-Sector and Excalibur and Genesis have you played for comparisons?

Excalibur seems about as rare as Robowar. I've only played one of those, and I never see it for sale. Tx-Sector is a little more common. I think I've played 3 of those. Plus seen a couple for sale. I have played Genesis many times, and one comes up for sale regularly. One was just for sale near me for $850.

I figure many Robowars got the dumpster. I remember seeing a flyer with Gottlieb offering a $200 rebate if you buy a Robowar. That means it wasn't selling. I think the game is good, but it is just too simple for 1988-89.

#8 9 years ago

I would have to agree that lots likely met the dumpster at one point. I think it is really fun to shoot and holds its own with the others.

I have seen/played 1 robowar (I own it). I have seen/played 1 excalibur (I own it; think this is the same on that anyone at expo saw as I bought it from the previous owner and he took it to expo at least 1 year I think). I have seen/played 3 Tx and own 1. I have seen probably 10 genesis and played 5 (would like to own at some point, but no hurry).

On this topic, if I like those 4 games can anyone rec something else that would be a good fit?

#9 9 years ago

That's the Excalibur I played, too. Genesis is the only title that has any kind of numbers. I like it, but haven't ever jumped on one for sale. I guess we would need an expert to take an educated guess as to how many of these rare games are floating around. I want to guess only a few hundred.

#10 9 years ago

Some games that play similar to these ones we are discussing are the street level games. Unfortunately, all of those had low production runs and are hard to find. I like Hoops, Silver Slugger and Dangerous weapon. Silver Slugger is the only common street level game and they made 2100 of them.

#11 9 years ago

My guesses:

EXcalibur: 1710 made; 800 left?; very few stateside and most went overseas due to theme. That means many are now gone forever and my estimate is likely high for those remaining. 6 pinsiders own

Genesis: 3500 made; 2300 left?; most seemed to have stayed stateside. Common to see and common for sale. 58 pinsiders own

Robo: 2130 made; 1000 left?; pretty rare to see. Sold poorly from the onset so the produced number actually seems high to me compared to how rarely it is seen. 17 pinsiders own

Txsector: 2336 made; 1200 left? Most popular of the bunch and has a bit of a collector fanfare for a while? 34 pinsiders own which to me reflects that is it probably the most sought after but still relatively rare as you don't see them for sale. Best game play and sounds of them all IMO.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from KC_Masterpiece:

Some games that play similar to these ones we are discussing are the street level games. Unfortunately, all of those had low production runs and are hard to find. I like Hoops, Silver Slugger and Dangerous weapon. Silver Slugger is the only common street level game and they made 2100 of them.

Hoops and deadly weapon do nothing for me unfortunatley. I have never seen a silver slugger yet but will be sure to shec it out when I do.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Txsector: 2336 made; 1200 left? Most popular of the bunch and has a bit of a collector fanfare for a while? 34 pinsiders own which to me reflects that is it probably the most sought after but still relatively rare as you don't see them for sale. Best game play and sounds of them all IMO.

Its a toss up between Robowar and Tx for gameplay for me...maybe Robowar by a tad...I can't decide which I like better.I guess I'll just play them both

#14 9 years ago

Excalibur is completely different but equally as good. I just prefer spinners slightly over drops.

If there was a spinner on the way up the center ramp shot it would be a perfect game from that era!

#15 9 years ago

2 for sale this month another down the street at a friends. It's not thaaat uncommon. Through the years I see them fairly often especially at shows where you'll often see 2. Genesis is up regularly, TX usually once every 4-6 months.... Excalibur on the other hand....

#16 9 years ago

There has been a Robo War on CL in KC for a couple of months now for $900 or so. If it were closer I would go look at it. The seller wouldn't send more pics and said I should just come look at it so I haven't pursued it any further.

#17 9 years ago

I passed on a very nice Excalibur at the Rocky Mountain show years ago. It reminded me too much of Big Guns.

Those of you who haven't tried a Genesis...you should. Great game.
Genesis next to a RoboWar next to my HUO TX-Sector makes me smile every time.

I wasn't really into the 80B titles, but these three hooked me.

Another that I'd like to find is Big House. These almost never come ups the ball auger was problematic. Cheesy theme and game sounds, but it hooks you.

Not an 80B, but Lights, Camera, Action is one I'm looking for too. Fun game.

I've also played or repaired or owned...
...Raven...could have been much better. Game play is decent but theme and sounds are horrid.
...Hollywood Heat...a much better game than given credit. I liked to put my white sport coat on and play a few games.
...Bad Girls...again, good game, pool theme that plays fast. Hardest skill shot ever. Alas...the translite.
...Rock...just wasn't a fan. Oddball PF layout.
...Monte Carlo...PF roulette wheel slows the game down.
...Arena...another tough skill shot. I liked this one. CP Pinball near here had one for a while.
...Victory...game play is said to be linear. Had one. Agree with that feeling. Sold it.
...Hot Shots...only played one at a show. Theme and gameplay didn't impress me.
...Bone Busters...funky upper PF with oddball flipper. Played it quite a bit but it never grew on me. Perhaps it's that I think of TFTC when I'm playing it, and I can't stand TFTC (apologies to TFTC owners)
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#18 9 years ago

I love my 80b's and always looking for more!

#19 9 years ago

I'll play since Gottlieb is my favorite pin designer.

My order of preference (solid state):

System 80A
System 80
System 80B
System 3
System 1

I played a majority of the pins in the *B* series

Going off IPDB's list

Amazon Hunt: Haven't played
Arena: I do love the skill shot in this game (unique idea).
Bad Girls: Actually fun to play. Two things - that bad girl theme sucks and I HATE the cab artwork!
Big House: Another one I haven't played - really want to give it a go!
Bone Busters: I really wanted to like this but just don't care for the playfield layout...
Bounty Hunter: This is another gem and also pretty rare.
Cubs Triple Play: Prefer Silver Slugger
Diamond Lady: This is one my want list - super fun to play!
Excalibur: Played this one too - Chris summed it up good - Big Guns: Not one of my favorites.
Genesis: My opinion the best.
Gold Wings: I used to hate this one. I don't care for the double flipper layout - It did grown on me.
Hollywood Heat: Awesome... Love the audio
Hot Shots: Haven't played.
Monte Carlo: Meh.. prefer Millionaire from Williams instead
Night Moves: I played this once and only once. Want to give it a go again to pass judgement.
Raven: Chris is right... Something is missing in this game to make it a better player.
Robo-War: You guys talking about this makes me want to play this again. It didn't really grab me.
Rock/Encore: This is the next up on my wanted list. Its a *must* to have the updated audio sounds.
Spring Break: Hands down... my least favorite!
Tag Team: Haven't played
TX-Sector: There is a reason why this pin a highly sought after.
Victory: This is another fun pin. It's a stop and go pin and only single ball...

Some things of note (at least for me)

I always thought games like Hoops, Silver Slugger, Deadly Weapon; basically there *budget series* were 80B:/

Some of the scoring on the 80B pins, the scoring is off. Jackpots for instance.

I can't stand the single light bar in the backbox. Imagine TX with some flashers for the teleporting effect!

#20 9 years ago

Oh about TX... Scratch one of the production # list. I met a fella when I first got mine that gutted one due to a waterlogged cab. I did manage to save the parts sans the playfield - I guess he wanted to keep it.

Also if anybody has a Vitrigraph playfield for a TX.... Me want!

#21 9 years ago

I have a nice TX pf but not sure if vitrigraph or not. It will be coming out when I eventually swap in my NOW with clearcoat.

Fun thread this has become.

Thanks for the input from those that have lots of experience with these. For those not grabbed by Excalibur I think you should give it another go. The multiball and jackpot post drain of 1 ball are GREAT! Very challenging shot layout and amazing art. Likely the best art of any of them IMHO.

If anyone that is a fan ever wants to play and is in Madison area, be sure to hit me up.

Night moves is a great game IMHO and plays well. I have a non functioning one at this time and it will eventually come back to life. I have a buddy with a super nice one local and it got me hooked enough to seek out this game for myself.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

I can't stand the single light bar in the backbox. Imagine TX with some flashers for the teleporting effect!

That would be cool. I bet that could be implemented pretty easily, similar to the way the Genesis life force "reveal" is done with a chase board and a relay.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If anyone that is a fan ever wants to play and is in Madison area, be sure to hit me up.

I would like to take you up on this at some point.

I love my Genesis, and would like to see its siblings.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

I'll play since Gottlieb is my favorite pin designer.
Bone Busters: I really wanted to like this but just don't care for the playfield layout...
Gold Wings: I used to hate this one. I don't care for the double flipper layout - It did grown on me.

Bone Busters have everything going for it except the game play. It isn't the best, but the art package is enough to make it interesting.

I picked up a beat up Gold Wings thinking I would play it for a few months and then sell it quickly. Honestly, I find myself turning it on and putting a few games on it way too much. That center spinner shot and the 4 quadrants on the pf make it very unique and interesting. It's the opposite of BB, horrible art and theme, but fun to play.

There was a Big House at Expo for sale this year for a damn cheap price. I had 3 pins already in the truck so just didn't have the room, otherwise it would have been #4.

There was a

#25 9 years ago

Mark, remind me why did I ever let you play my TX and turn you on to the love of these GTBs

roffels >> hit me up when you are coming to town. Give me some notice as my game room oscillates between utter chaos of a project and playability and cleaned up for guests.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Mark, remind me why did I ever let you play my TX and turn you on to the love of these GTBs

LOL - what can I say - you're a trendsetter.

There are plenty of titles still out there to share the love, but I wish these titles had more appreciation years ago so not so many of them were parted out. Some of them really suffer from the backglasses, I mean they are the ugliest out there.

#27 9 years ago

I think Robo-war and the other Premier games were overlooked by most collectors until the last couple years (now that there are lots of videos of gameplay available on Youtube.) Before that, I suspect that they were passed over in preference to trendier games like the Williams titles, and DMD games. My guess is that there are still quite a few waiting to be found in the back of warehouses.

Personally, I like all the Premier games I've played, they tend to have unusual playfield layouts and fun, straightforward rules making them easy to like, and right away.

In my game room I have an Arena (underrated) and Excalibur (fun!) in my gameroom. Both are pretty simple games, but are lots of fun, and look fantastic with LEDs. I'd love to add a TX, Robo-war, Genesis, or Hollywood Heat if I could find any of them.

Any of you guys who have one of these, do yourself a favor and replace your backbox light with a new 'daylight' bulb instead of the soft-white that is usually in there. Daylight bulbs do not have the ugly yellow tint, they are more of a cool, pure white -- and your translight will look 100% better with upgraded lighting.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Some of them really suffer from the backglasses, I mean they are the ugliest out there.

and yet it is part of what them so amazing in my eyes.

Important to note is that the sounds and sound quality is simply amazing on all these games!

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

and yet it is part of what them so amazing in my eyes.
Important to note is that the sounds and sound quality is simply amazing on all these games!

I think they use the same sound chip as the Nintendo Entertainment System, but I could be mistaken.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Bone Busters have everything going for it except the game play. It isn't the best, but the art package is enough to make it interesting.
I picked up a beat up Gold Wings thinking I would play it for a few months and then sell it quickly. Honestly, I find myself turning it on and putting a few games on it way too much. That center spinner shot and the 4 quadrants on the pf make it very unique and interesting. It's the opposite of BB, horrible art and theme, but fun to play.
There was a Big House at Expo for sale this year for a damn cheap price. I had 3 pins already in the truck so just didn't have the room, otherwise it would have been #4.
There was a

You summed up my thoughts on both Bone Busters and Gold Wings perfectly.

I missed out on that Big House at Expo. I did only go Saturday and don't recall seeing there...

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I have a nice TX pf but not sure if vitrigraph or not. It will be coming out when I eventually swap in my NOW with clearcoat.

Here is a pic of the vitrigraph playfield. Guessing most of these went overseas due to ownership...
Notice the darker tone and some plastic differences.

106068.jpg106068.jpg

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

sound quality is simply amazing on all these games!

Yeah! that music pumps up the adrenaline! never played the game though..

#33 9 years ago

In May there was a non-working Robo-War on ebay about 2 hours from me. It is now in my basement. I haven't had the time but I plan to revive it later this month. Looking forward to it.

#34 9 years ago

In 1998 my brother and I traveled through Morocco. It is the most 'foreign' feeling place I have ever been to. No McDonalds, no English, no alcohol, poverty, everyone approached me because I was a Westerner. Interesting place. I do love to travel...

One day I was walking down a narrow street in Marrakesh and something at the front of a dusty store caught my eye. Pinball! I wish I could remember the title, but it was an 80A or 80B for sure. I feel like ot might have been Arena but I'm not sure, it was 16 years ago. It worked and we played it for about an hour. One play for a dirham coin.

It dies seem like a lot of Gottliebs from this era were exported.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from KC_Masterpiece:

Sometimes a game is hard to find even though a decent number of them were made. I have played about 4 different Gottlieb 'Gladiators' machines and seen them for sale. I have only played 1 Robo-War machine back in 2006 at a show. Both machines have similar production runs. Why is Robo-War so rare?

Because everyone that owns one usually holds onto it.
RW is my most cherished CL find that I passed on at first, then drove back to the dude's place 2 weeks later and grabbed for a bargain price 2 towns over.

I ended up loving the game, and consider it a keeper.
Great music, great gameplay, great sound, great old school-new school mixture of pinball style, terrible art--but who cares.

It would take a ridiculous offer to get mine away from me, and I know many other owners who feel the same way.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

Because everyone that owns one usually holds onto it.
terrible art--

You could get one of these if you want to dress it up a little2015-01-05-12-34-07--387254961.jpeg2015-01-05-12-34-07--387254961.jpeg

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

You could get one of these if you want to dress it up a little

2015-01-05-12-34-07--387254961.j... 3 KB

That translight alternative looks real nice.

How does one acquire, and how much?

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

That translight alternative looks real nice.
How does one acquire, and how much?

Take a look on Ebay and search,Robowar Translite,you'll see it.The seller is Pugsotoys5zpt
He has 2 versions,both look good.
I've seen it in person at Mr.Hibler's house and it looks even better.
Actually purchasing Robowar and Tx at same time when he gets Tx ready.

2 weeks later
#39 9 years ago

I joined the club today, its a pretty nice example really for a fair price.. been looking for about 3 yrs for one close.. played about 10 games.. me likey.. definitely not super easy to find
IMAG4204.jpgIMAG4204.jpg

#40 9 years ago

Most of them went overseas. You have to remember that in the mid 80's, Gottliebs were way more popular in other countries. Bally and Williams were the top dogs in the US.

#41 9 years ago

congrats on the GREAT score ZEN!

2 weeks later
#42 9 years ago

Grats on the nice pick up Zen.It's a fun game.
Enjoy!

#43 9 years ago

I had one a bunch of years ago and thought that it was a fun game.

124-2421_IMG.JPG124-2421_IMG.JPG

#44 9 years ago

Operation Thunder deserves a mention too

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Code_Blue:

Operation Thunder deserves a mention too

OT is fun, but not in the same league at EX, Tx, and Robo.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

OT is fun, but not in the same league at EX, Tx, and Robo.

Agreed, I meant more in terms of Bone Busters, Gold Wings, Arena, Bad Girls, Raven, etc. It does have all the great vacuum plastics though.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

congrats on the GREAT score ZEN!

Quoted from Elevatorman:

Grats on the nice pick up Zen.It's a fun game.
Enjoy!

Thx guys, Im pretty stoked just to find it. It really is a well thought out game, not complicated, but makes me smile. I love the fact you can keep getting multiballs.. it is really really good. I forget how much I hate the sys80b flipper mechs tho, one of mine is sticky.. other than that, its one of those games you play for an hour.. I hope other pinheads get a chance to play this like I have been able to, diamond in the rough for sure....

#48 9 years ago

None of you guys have mentioned Robo War PF layout was borrowed from Sinbad. it is a great game allthough simple. one of the best soundtracks in a pinball I have ever heard.

Excalibur is a tough one to find. There is one coming in a container from Italy to Australia shortly. Looking forward to checking it out when it arrives.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from 4_amusement_only:

None of you guys have mentioned Robo War PF layout was borrowed from Sinbad.

borrowed but improved.

I believe according to John T. he was directly instructed to 'make something like Sinbad but better.'

2 months later
#50 8 years ago

Whoo hoo! Grabbed an Excalibur at PAGG this year. Love everything about it. Its in GREAT shape too.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
4,350 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Utrecht, UT
$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-robo-war-so-rarely-seen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.