(Topic ID: 86476)

Why is rating a machine worth more Karma points than adding a Location

By MattBunk

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images-1-60.jpeg
    #1 10 years ago

I've rated 28 machines = 480,000 Karma Points
    I've added 57!!!! locations to the Pin Map = 285,000 Karma Points

So, sitting on my computer and ranking a machine is worth more than located 57 establishments in a community that still have machines and adding them to the Pin Map?!

Seems backwards to me.

The Karma Point rules appear outdated since they say a machine add is worth 50 points and rating is worth 15.

I assume a bunch of zeros were added as an inside pinball joke.

Am I missing something?

#2 10 years ago

what are Karma Points?

#3 10 years ago

Your thinking too much about it....

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Your thinking too much about it....

Oh, now I see the strategy. Just checked out your profile. Post in the forums = tons of points.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from MattBunk:

Oh, now I see the strategy.

You're still overthinking it ...

#6 10 years ago

Not like its worth ANYTHING dude.

#7 10 years ago

^^^^^^^ This

#8 10 years ago

yeah... you can't even trade them for a bouncy ball and a roll of smarties

#9 10 years ago

It's cool to incentivize actions that benefit everyone, but other than that I wouldn't worry about it. Does anyone look over to the karma of a poster to see if they're worth listening to? It's just for fun. I post a somewhat insane amount because I'm sort of obsessive that way, but not because I care one whit about whatever karma points a post gives me.

What's important is that you're being a good guy by adding locations to the map, so thanks!

#10 10 years ago

Really, I just want more people to add locations to the map. I'm desperate to discover the pins in my neighborhood.

#11 10 years ago

Some of us can't add locations even if we wanted to, because there are none for miles/hours around us. So at least the ratings is something that people can actively do despite being in pinball deserts. But heck, I don't even understand the karma points anymore since the change over except that now I have more of them.
    Also, Ted's strategy is that he actually lives on Pinside and has special "yes" and "no" buttons for quick replies.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Some of us can't add locations even if we wanted to, because there are none for miles/hours around us. So at least the ratings is something that people can actively do despite being in pinball deserts. But heck, I don't even understand the karma points anymore since the change over except that now I have more of them.
    Also, Ted's strategy is that he actually lives on Pinside and has special "yes" and "no" buttons for quick replies.

Ok. So they did change the points. Thanks for clarifying that. I'm newer to the site and even newer to the Forums so I haven't read through every thread.

Now, where can I get some of these Yes/No buttons?

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Also, I didn't think there were many in my area either, but what I ended up doing (besides calling every bar, I passed on my drive home for weeks, and taking different routes home) was: once I found a pin in my area, I called the service number on the vendor had left on the machine and then asked them if they had other machines and would they send me a list or verbally tell me the names and locations.

It took a lot of awkward asking (They were shocked I was doing it) but now I know a lot more places to play.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from MattBunk:

once I found a pin in my area, I called the service number on the vendor had left on the machine and then asked them if they had other machines and would they send me a list or verbally tell me the names and locations.
    It took a lot of awkward asking (They were shocked I was doing it) but now I know a lot more places to play.

That's a good idea... might give that a shot!

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Maybe.

#16 10 years ago

Ask him how he pushed that third button.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from MattBunk:

Also, I didn't think there were many in my area either, but what I ended up doing (besides calling every bar, I passed on my drive home for weeks, and taking different routes home) was: once I found a pin in my area, I called the service number on the vendor had left on the machine and then asked them if they had other machines and would they send me a list or verbally tell me the names and locations.

Believe me, there are none here. We've got a local retailer that actively hunts them down to buy/fix/sell if he does find anything. I'm glad that you were able to find some in your area though. My only option besides going to the retail store showroom is to buy them and put them in my house. We shipped 3 in from California because there's so few here.

The karma points were changed awhile back. It used to be a big huge party-thread-worthy deal if you got to 100,000 karma points. Then Robin (Pinside owner) changed it to reflect pinball scores a little better and gave different values to doing different things on here. I still haven't figured it out, or found any place to cash in my karma points.

#18 10 years ago

He awarded more points to giving a review as he finds that more important to the site. People from around the world will possible read a review but few will likely look at a particular location to play. Plus it feeds the rankings.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

He awarded more points to giving a review as he finds that more important to the site. People from around the world will possible read a review but few will likely look at a particular location to play.

That's what I need to know. Thanks.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Believe me, there are none here. We've got a local retailer that actively hunts them down to buy/fix/sell if he does find anything. I'm glad that you were able to find some in your area though. My only option besides going to the retail store showroom is to buy them and put them in my house. We shipped 3 in from California because there's so few here.

That's a bummer. Although, you've put together a very nice home collection. If I had those 10 machines, I might not have to go scouring the neighborhoods.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

what are Karma Points?

Exactly what I was thinking !! Who cares ?!

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from MattBunk:

Now, where can I get some of these Yes/No buttons?

Staples, they're right beside the EASY button.

#23 10 years ago

Thumbs up for BT outing you Ted. NOW we ALL know your secret.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from MattBunk:

I've added 57!!!! locations to the Pin Map

There should be more guys like you.

#25 10 years ago

If you are going to the expo I can give you a pat on the back if that will make you feel better

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from MattBunk:

Wow. People have been really aggressive on this post in general.

It's called trolling. Don't take it personally. Just try to laugh with it.

#28 10 years ago

I took some of my Karma points to the gas station and got a 30pack of PBR today so dont say they are worthless.

images-1-60.jpegimages-1-60.jpeg

#29 10 years ago

they like feedback for there famous "top 100 list"

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-rating-a-machine-worth-more-karma-points-than-adding-a-location and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.