5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by scootie
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Why is POTC such an expensive game ??? It has average ratings , ranked like 40 on top 100 . General consensus seems to be it's an ok game.

Post edited by moderator: The title annoyed me too much to not fix.

#2 5 years ago

#1 reason is it's a great theme. It's a great looking game with one of the best toys in pinball the sinking ship.

#3 5 years ago

Theme alone sells this one. It's a solid game that holds up very well in an average size collection. Price = supply/demand.

#4 5 years ago

People keep lowering ratings hoping to find a cheap one ?

LTG : )™

#5 5 years ago

What is a good price? Are there any problematic issues with this game?

#6 5 years ago

It was around for a long, long while before a really good software revision came out. Ratings reflect the earlier days, not to mention the bad voice actors and them not able to use any voice clips from the movies. Aside from those things which drove the ratings down, it is actually a very fun game with an awesome main toy and possibly the best looking playfield Stern has ever produced. They don't seem to come up for sale too much any more. Supply and demand...

#7 5 years ago

You can find them pretty cheap, like 4 - 4500 in good condition, not sure how high the prices are in your area...

#8 5 years ago

Great family theme with great visuals and sounds, I actually think the voice actors are good. POTC holds my interest more than my STLE, but not quite as much as LOTR. This was the pin we were looking to buy as our first, but with the difficulty of finding one, it was number three.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Why is POTC such an expensive game ???

Because wives don't want Angus' face in the basement ,but they love to twiddle to Johnny Depp.

#10 5 years ago

Just wondering, my family and I love the movies and Capt. Jack is just classic.

#11 5 years ago

Supply/demand

#12 5 years ago

It's my favorite machine, not sure why it's not rated higher, great game all around.

#13 5 years ago

Don't overpay for this title. You will be able to find a HUO for about 4,200-4,600 with mods. Stern sold a lot of these.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

People keep lowering ratings hoping to find a cheap one ?

+1

Guys this is a full-featured pinball machine designed by Nordman and unlike later releases it is the complete package. it is deeper than you think. When you dress it up with LEDs it stands right there next to the newer games Stern is building that are no longer as stripped down as we saw in 2010-2011.

I agree with others who stated that the theme is timeless and there is no question the franchise remains highly popular/successful. I also liked the humor they included. We really need more of that. What else needs to be said?

#15 5 years ago

Complete game code
Game design has something for everyone, novice/advanced/hard core
Highest production modern Stern
Cool toys
Wiz mode that is attainable but not easy.

Sold mine for low 4s a year ago as single owned HUO game with average/ high plays on it. Game was clean and had no issues. Loved the game but wanted Metallica more. Many will kill it for start and stop style. My only issue was it started slow but when you got it rocking tortuga, Davey Jones and Heart MBs are all solid. Only hit 4 winds a handful of times but felt it was tough enough without being impossible to advance.

#16 5 years ago

What is the current software revision?

#17 5 years ago

I put a shaker motor in mine and made it even better

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Duff:

Is it? I always thought TSPP had that crown. Not that Stern releases numbers, so it's all guesswork I suppose.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Because wives don't want Angus' face in the basement ,but they love to twiddle off to Johnny Depp.

^^This, lol.

Quoted from alleycat-pinball:

I put a shaker motor in mine and made it even better

For your wife and Johnny? Sorry I had to go there..

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Is it? I always thought TSPP had that crown. Not that Stern releases numbers, so it's all guesswork I suppose.

Maybe "modern" = "SAM system". POTC is the high selling game on the SAM platform.

#21 5 years ago

POTC is a great game and I have a genuine dislike for most things Stern. It isn't REALLY a fan layout or not in my opinion anyway and how can you go wrong with a pirate theme.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

It isn't REALLY a fan layout

Left Orbit (Kicks to top, not a full orbit)
Far Left (Tortuga)
Med Left (Ship)
Center (Liar's Dice)
Mid right (Jack the hard-to-shoot-%()&@(&@monkey-that-screws-you-out-of-the-wiz-mode)
Far right (Dead Man's Chest)
Right Orbit (Is there any point to even shoot this thing?)

Seems....fanny to me. It makes great use of that layout instead of just doing the typical RAMPS AND ORBITS RIGHT BACK TO THE FLIPPER ASAP deal, though. Tortuga might be my favorite physical lock, period. I understand it's very similar to some things that came before it, but I haven't played those.

Stackable multiballs, theme that most everyone likes....annoying the crap out of everyone with Yo-Ho victory laps..it's a very solid game....except for that Jack-hat shot.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Left Orbit (Kicks to top, not a full orbit)
Far Left (Tortuga)
Med Left (Ship)
Center (Liar's Dice)
Mid right (Jack the hard-to-shoot-%()&@(&@monkey-that-screws-you-out-of-the-wiz-mode)
Far right (Dead Man's Chest)
Right Orbit (Is there any point to even shoot this thing?)
Seems....fanny to me. It makes great use of that layout instead of just doing the typical RAMPS AND ORBITS RIGHT BACK TO THE FLIPPER ASAP deal, though. Tortuga might be my favorite physical lock, period. I understand it's very similar to some things that came before it, but I haven't played those.
Stackable multiballs, theme that most everyone likes....annoying the crap out of everyone with Yo-Ho victory laps..it's a very solid game....except for that Jack-hat shot.

Well I did say it was my opinion but as you say, it isn't the typical fan layout. Something about the game makes it a blast to play. I would like to have one. Maybe Ill trade my TAF and IPB TAF pf for one.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Maybe Ill trade my TAF and IPB TAF pf for one.

Where the hell were you when I was trying to get rid of my POTC that was really nice.... I would've done that REAL FAST....

#25 5 years ago

Price is always relative.
The word "expensive" is an emotional response to the price of good or service.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Where the hell were you when I was trying to get rid of my POTC that was really nice.... I would've done that REAL FAST....

What did you sell your potc for? HUO? Just Curious.

#27 5 years ago

Great family theme, also easy to play for novice players.

I had thought of selling mine for a while, because I've had it so long. But I'd never find one as nice. My game looks as if it came out of the box yesterday, never had one mechanical issue whatsoever.

I figure if I am building a collection it's a good game to have. It I had to only have 2 or 3 games total I would not have it, but with a larger collection I can't think of not having one in a 10 pin collection (IMO).

I never had a problem or dislike of the voice actors or the call outs. One thing I dislike is the saucer which holds the ball around the pops which can make parts of the game rather drag on, rather than keep the action more intense.

I mean having the saucer from the center shot is fine, but in the pops also is not as fine that's my one complaint if I had one.

#28 5 years ago

Yeah, would've been nice if they had found a way to put a 1-way gate in front of the saucer. It likes to fall back in there a LOT.

#29 5 years ago

I have metle I'm looking to trade for one plus some cash on top of course.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

I have metle I'm looking to trade for one plus some cash on top of course.

Your looking to trade your Metallica LE for a POTC? Why?

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Why is POTC such an expensive game ???

I must apologize. This is 100% my fault. You see ANY game I want to buy instantly skyrockets.

I fed about $100 into a POTC on location, waiting for one to come up for sale. I thought, these people are nuts...$4000?!? I can wait.

Then I wanted Pistol Poker.....zowie!

So, karma police....if you are watching. I REALLY want to buy a second Bally Star Trek. Please don't make this title go to $15,000 (nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean)..
faz

#32 5 years ago

Biggest pinball regret? Not getting to play this 1.5 hours away before my friend sold his.

Cheers!
Adam.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Definitely guesswork. I'd imagine AC-DC is creeping up there too when you combine all the models.

#34 5 years ago

I really like Nordman's designs, I also like the theme and the looks of this game so much, but IMO this game is only good in a big collection, it's too easy.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I really like Nordman's designs, I also like the theme and the looks of this game so much, but IMO this game is only good in a big collection, it's too easy.

It's sometimes easy to have a long game - but not easy to "complete" ....I've still never seen 4-Winds or Gauntlet.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's sometimes easy to have a long game - but not easy to "complete" ....I've still never seen 4-Winds or Gauntlet.

You took the words right out of my mouth. POTC is a very underrated game IMO. Ball times can be long, but I wouldn't call it easy by any means. I owned one for awhile and I think I got Four Winds one time (and I died pretty much immediately). I really enjoyed owning it, and if space wasn't an issue, I would have kept it.

#37 5 years ago

I had one last summer for a few months. Overall a fun game. Tortuga MB was really fun with trying to keep balls up in the spinning disk as a playfield mulitplier. I sold for a nice profit and sometimes miss it. Was a very good looking game that really did draw in non-pin folks.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from 30FathomDave:

You took the words right out of my mouth. POTC is a very underrated game IMO. Ball times can be long, but I wouldn't call it easy by any means. I owned one for awhile and I think I got Four Winds one time (and I died pretty much immediately). I really enjoyed owning it, and if space wasn't an issue, I would have kept it.

So for the first time I just got Four Winds! Yay! ...only made it through the "North" shots....then blew it...I assume you have to complete everything to get to Gauntlet.

#39 5 years ago

I helped a fellow pinsider clean his up and add LEDs game is fun to play and looks great. Alt translites look good too. Would def be interested if anyone near md wants to sell / trade

#40 5 years ago

anyone have a link to alternate translites?

#41 5 years ago

I have a HUO POTC that is loaded and awesome, that I am considering selling. Would be on the upper end of the market just based on what I have in it. Bt if you are looking, hit me up.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I've still never seen 4-Winds or Gauntlet.

me either.

I'm getting closer each time. I wouldn't call it easy I've had it more than 7 years.

This is a good game for beginners who don't need to know all the rules.

Honestly, I don't know why it's so far down on the top 100 list. I've played LOTR quite a few times and really never thought it was a top10 game. I guess people will say the rules make it so, but to me I never thought LOTR was all that great or any better than POTC.

#43 5 years ago

Easy???? Still haven't seen 4 winds either. I keep having issues getting that damm monkey.

#44 5 years ago

It also kills on location

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

So for the first time I just got Four Winds! Yay! ...only made it through the "North" shots....then blew it...I assume you have to complete everything to get to Gauntlet.

Nice work. Yes, have to finish all 4 corners of 4 winds to get there. However, if you drain during 4 winds, your progress is saved. You do have to complete all the qualifying modes again (Kraken destroyed, heart super, sink all 4 ships, etc.) to get back to 4 winds and pick up where you left off though. It seems virtually impossible to do, but I've done it on a floaty location game. Took an hour or so, but I got back to 4 winds again, finished it and made it to gauntlet. Over 1b points too. One of my favorite notches on my pinball belt.

Factory settings max out extra balls at 5 on default settings. Most guys (including me) will need every one of those extra balls to get to gauntlet. My strategy for reaching gauntlet has always been multiball (heart or tortuga) all the way. Ships and Davey Jones die much easier when you start them with a multiball already running.

#46 5 years ago

What mods can be added to this game besides leds and shaker?

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Undead monkey near the treasure chest.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Back Alley makes a ton of stuff, speaker panel inserts, target decals, ship cannon LEDs....

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from Duff:

Not sure where you get your info, but AC\DC is the highest production Stern ever. This was announced to employees back in January.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
San Ramon, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 26.50
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
4,975 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Syracuse, NY
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Merrick, NY
4,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 239.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside