Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Stoomer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9D89E76D-C72F-4A10-B703-9ACA5776679C (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0019 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0018 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0017 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0016 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0013 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0014 (resized).JPG

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

I get sellers want to get rich and buyers want it for free. People REALLY don’t like revealing what they paid/ sold for.
    It’s the dirty little secret of pins .
    What’s the deal?

#2 4 years ago

I guess so when they resell it people don't bash them for selling high

#3 4 years ago

I speculate it’s probably because they don’t want the price police jumping down their throat either way. You’re an idiot for selling too low or you’re a (insert derogatory name here) for ripping someone off. It’s a sale between two people and they may want to leave it that way.

With that being said at least they can anonymously add it to the pinside average for what it’s worth.

#4 4 years ago

I think the same thing about all money issues. People also don't discuss how much money they make, either with friends/family but also amongst co-workers. Employers also don't often discuss costs and bills with employees, and don't open the books to show them expenditures. I run my business differently and am upfront about everyone's pay and why it's structured the way that it is. I also am open about our business's operating costs, break even numbers, percentages, etc. I feel like discussing money is taboo in American culture and I am not sure why, but I am actively against it. Obscurity is bad for all parties.

#5 4 years ago

Depends on the person I guess. Personally, I'm not shy about what I've paid.

#6 4 years ago

I tend not to say what I sold a game for in case the buyer doesn't want it known, but don't care myself

#7 4 years ago

There are many reasons. Here is one: knowledge is power, and it can be used as leverage against you.

My friend sold a Gottlieb wedgehead for $3,500. It was not an especially rare title. He liked this game and didn’t want to sell it, but the offer on the table was irresistible. He took the money and set out to find the same game again. He kept this windfall sales figure largely to himself for obvious reasons: he doesn’t want to negotiate with another seller thinking their game is worth $3,500.

#8 4 years ago

Absolutely nobody’s business.

Not to mention if you got a game for a “good” price and then try to sell it at market you are inviting abuse by obnoxious buyers.

I’ve literally had people tell me they know what I paid when trying to knock me down on price. That’s the end of negotiations for me.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I tend not to say what I sold a game for in case the buyer doesn't want it known, but don't care myself

Some buyers request the price to not be listed. I try to respect that. Others don’t care.

#10 4 years ago

Seems to me that the negotiated and agreed price between a buyer and a seller isn't really anyone else's business. Providing that info just invites negativity unfortunately. Someone is often going to think the buyer paid too much and the seller took advantage of them (drawing criticism to the sellet), or that the buyer got a steal and the seller didn't know what they were doing (drawing jealousy for the buyer).

If you look at pin average prices on Pinsider, it might be a reasonable start,but if you look at sale details, prices vary wildly regardless......often huge differences in sale price for a machine that, at glance, looks just like another sale for a very different amount. There are too many factors (local availability, how bad someone wants get or get rid of a machine, etc) for transparent pricing to mean a whole lot. The right price for a machine is the price both parties ultimately are happy with.

#11 4 years ago

I will ask the buyer if its ok to disclose the actual selling price on Pinside when its sold via Pinside. Only if they agree do i make it public.

#12 4 years ago

All of these in the last 3 years in better-than-players original condition:

STTNG - $3,250
    Bally Star Trek - $900
    DE Star Trek - $1,200
    DE Star Wars - $2,250

The art of the deal.

Others have come and gone, but these are the keepers. People get too impatient and vastly over pay for games these days. Furthest I had to drive was to New Orleans (from Birmingham).

#13 4 years ago

Personally, I like the Price police.
    I’d like to think they help keep things honest.
    Seems unfair to pick up a pin, list another one of the same type for a crazy high price then list the same pin ( as a different seller) to justify asking price.
    It’s too bad we can’t be fair and enjoy a hobby without all the deception.
    People will charge what we someone is willing to pay. It just takes decent games out of the pool.
    Decent pins at a decent price seem hard to find...

#14 4 years ago

Lamo

Dear lord. Here we go again.

Surely we have more to offer each other than this conversation again?

#15 4 years ago

Nobody wants to share the fact that they're price gouging over mods, toppers, and LEDs.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hapidance:

People REALLY don’t like revealing what they paid/ sold for.

To a spouse? Never

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from leckmeck:

There are many reasons. Here is one: knowledge is power, and it can be used as leverage against you.
    My friend sold a Gottlieb wedgehead for $3,500. It was not an especially rare title. He liked this game and didn’t want to sell it, but the offer on the table was irresistible. He took the money and set out to find the same game again. He kept this windfall sales figure largely to himself for obvious reasons: he doesn’t want to negotiate with another seller thinking their game is worth $3,500.

That’s exactly my point.

I’d sell my Cyclone , in its current condition for $4,000.00.
    I certainly wouldn’t buy it at that price but when I am ready to buy I do t want to hear “ that whAt one just sold for”

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

To a spouse? Never

pinball money has paid for things in my household including the down deposit for our house, so the wife doesn't really care as long as it doesn't bankrupt us.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Lamo

Sorry .
    Just feeling aggravated ....

#20 4 years ago

Well, I kind of look at pinball pricing like I look at car pricing.............

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Lamo

Easy solution, don't post on the thread.

Quoted from Hapidance:

Sorry .
    Just feeling aggravated ....

Don't let him bully you. If you're not a pinside regular, this guy will try to eat you alive.

#22 4 years ago

I lose my ass on every game I sell. I usually set private so not to bring down average value. I am usually below that to move it fast.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

Easy solution, don't post on the thread.

Don't let him bully you. If you're not a pinside regular, this guy will try to eat you alive.

I’m not bullying anybody.

I’m annoyed that someone posts a thread asking why people keep their buying prices secret, and it turns out it’s just another price whining thread in disguise.

Why not at least be up front about it? Then I can make an informed decision to “avoid the thread.” It wasn’t an “easy solution,” it was a wolf in sheep’s clothing!!!

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’m not bullying anybody.
    I’m annoyed that someone posts a thread asking why people keep their buying prices secret, and it turns out it’s just another price whining thread in disguise.
    Why not at least be up front about it? Then I can make an informed decision to “avoid the thread.” It wasn’t an “easy solution,” it was a wolf in sheep’s clothing!!!

If you’re annyoed why don’t you just skip it? Not read it? Who really cares how many whining price threads there are? Be side you.
    Hey, other people have opinions and if they want to vent. So be it. That’s why this is a forum. You know to discuss what ever you want about pinball.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from PBMAN:

I lose my ass on every game I sell.

I do too. I list all the things I've done / added to a pin when I sell it so the market knows what they are getting. If I charged for my time, I'd be up there with a $65K Twilight Zone!

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

If you’re annyoed why don’t you just skip it? Not read it? Who really cares how many whining price threads there are? Be side you.
    Hey, other people have opinions and if they want to vent. So be it. That’s why this is a forum. You know to discuss what ever you want about pinball.

If you are annoyed by me why not skip that?

We can go on like this for hours. Let’s take it to PM!

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hapidance:

Seems unfair to pick up a pin, list another one of the same type for a crazy high price then list the same pin ( as a different seller) to justify asking price.
    It’s too bad we can’t be fair and enjoy a hobby without all the deception.
    People will charge what we someone is willing to pay. It just takes decent games out of the pool.
    Decent pins at a decent price seem hard to find...

I don't like the price police.
    I think they are dis-honest.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If you are annoyed by me why not skip that?
    We can go on like this for hours. Let’s take it to PM!

Haha, your funny but I’m not annoyed by you and believe you could go on for hours. My Pinside attention span only last about 5 minutes then Have to get back to working on games. But I’m sure I’ll see you complaining in the next price thread.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hapidance:

I get sellers want to get rich and buyers want it for free. People REALLY don’t like revealing what they paid/ sold for.
    It’s the dirty little secret of pins .
    What’s the deal?

I will tell you exactly what I have in every game I have ever bought or sold. I don't see how THAT information would help you personally since nearly every game I have ever bought is broken and every game I have ever sold is working. In some cases I have sunk $100's or $1000's into making a game play great. Also, if I sold a HUO BTTF for $1200 would you consider that to be the "going rate"? Cause it isn't... and yes, I did sell it at that price. Not relevant AT ALL.

You should just stop because the information you seek is already out there, you just don't know where to find it.

#30 4 years ago

Money is a private thing, do you wave your paycheck around? Do you tell everyone when you get a bonus? Have you ever bought a car?

#31 4 years ago

I’ll tell anyone, history, purchase price, etc. anything you want to know, I’ll tell, so I don’t think this applies to everyone.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from FightNightFZ:

I’ll tell anyone, history, purchase price, etc. anything you want to know, I’ll tell, so I don’t think this applies to everyone.

Money is a tool not a goal. Google that and read and maybe it doesn't have to be a secret. The numbers don't mean that much, it's how you view it and what you do with it.

#33 4 years ago

I'm not hiding anything, here's some examples.
    John

IMG_0013 (resized).JPGIMG_0013 (resized).JPGIMG_0014 (resized).JPGIMG_0014 (resized).JPGIMG_0016 (resized).JPGIMG_0016 (resized).JPGIMG_0017 (resized).JPGIMG_0017 (resized).JPGIMG_0018 (resized).JPGIMG_0018 (resized).JPGIMG_0019 (resized).JPGIMG_0019 (resized).JPG
    #34 4 years ago

So the guys wife won't kill him when she finds out what he paid for a toy.

#35 4 years ago

I try to be open about how much I paid for machines, and how much I sell them for (mine are all published that sold through this site).

However... people are entitled, and I have seen behavior that has made me regret posting that pricing information.

Lets say you got a good deal on a Jurassic Park for $2500 last year, and you see that the market value of that machine is now $3500 and you are selling it to fund a family vacation. You put it on the market and get contacted by someone who wants to buy it, but for $2500 and that you are being selfish asking the current market value and why do you deserve that extra $1,000?

That may sound like B.S., but that is exactly the type of situation that has happened to me a few months ago. I received an Attack From Mars Remake Special Edition as a work bonus last year from my Pinhead boss (thanks!). After 600 games in 2 months, when I went to sell/trade it to fund another game, I got a lot of great offers for Walking Dead Premium, The Adams Family, a few lowball cash offers (expected), and multiple Iron Maiden Premiums. All reasonable offers (I ultimately took cash). However, I did get an offer from a pinside user (who shall remain anonymous) for a Pinbot and BK2k on my wishlist, and that I should just take them since I got my game for free. These games are great, but regardless of what I paid for my machine I'd be leaving a lot of money on the table... like enough to take my entire family of 5 on a cruise vacation amount of money. I can understand why some people don't want to advertise these prices.

I can also see it from a manufacturer and distributor's point of view. Minimum allowed advertised price is a great way to keep a profit margin there for the distributors, encourages regional distributors, and keeps NIB pricing from being a race to the bottom that would ultimately hurt the hobby.

#36 4 years ago

Pinside price estimate assumes that all games are close to equal, which we all know games being sold vary widely on many variables, that info can be helpful but one really needs to check the archives and what not to get the real story. But to further this thread, don't mind either way but why do people always have something to say about it after they are told? I just wonder why some people always need to know, and some even give you heck if you don't tell, but I like the buyer wants it to remain private idea, going to keep that in mind when I am on either end of it

#37 4 years ago

How else can you scam noobs and rich people? It's a rite of passage into the hobby. There are tons of people on here with way more money than brains. Drop 12.5k on a JJP CE that's broke AF out of the box and then post all over here about how it's the best thing in the world.

Lots of cash and low expectations.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

People don't discuss how much money they make, either with friends or family or amongst co-workers.

The worst thing that ever happened to professional sports was the publishing of athletes' salaries. It instantly went from performance stats determining who the best players were to just a comparison of salaries. "Sure, you score 20 points and ten rebounds per game to my twelve and eight, but I make two million a year more than you do so I'm the better player." And every contract negotiation after athletes' salaries were published just pushed them higher and higher, as players looked to top the others' pay.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hapidance:

9D89E76D-C72F-4A10-B703-9ACA5776679C (resized).jpeg9D89E76D-C72F-4A10-B703-9ACA5776679C (resized).jpeg
    #40 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

John[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I've been here. This is a great way to see pinflation.

#41 4 years ago

Sell high, buy low. Time to sell....to me.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

John

John - your price cards are exactly what I thought of when I saw this thread! Thanks for posting the examples - fond memories from my visit in 2017!

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED Display Boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#43 4 years ago

Is there a specific pin price that is aggravating you?
    People will share.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

The worst thing that ever happened to professional sports was the publishing of athletes' salaries. It instantly went from performance stats determining who the best players were to just a comparison of salaries. "Sure, you score 20 points and ten rebounds per game to my twelve and eight, but I make two million a year more than you do so I'm the better player." And every contract negotiation after athletes' salaries were published just pushed them higher and higher, as players looked to top the others' pay.

Players getting paid more is bad for them how?

#45 4 years ago

Because no one wants to get flak about how much they either overpaid or overcharged for a game.
    "You paid HOW MUCH for THAT?!?!? "

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I try to be open about how much I paid for machines, and how much I sell them for (mine are all published that sold through this site).
    However... people are entitled, and I have seen behavior that has made me regret posting that pricing information.
    Lets say you got a good deal on a Jurassic Park for $2500 last year, and you see that the market value of that machine is now $3500 and you are selling it to fund a family vacation. You put it on the market and get contacted by someone who wants to buy it, but for $2500 and that you are being selfish asking the current market value and why do you deserve that extra $1,000?
    That may sound like B.S., but that is exactly the type of situation that has happened to me a few months ago. I received an Attack From Mars Remake Special Edition as a work bonus last year from my Pinhead boss (thanks!). After 600 games in 2 months, when I went to sell/trade it to fund another game, I got a lot of great offers for Walking Dead Premium, The Adams Family, a few lowball cash offers (expected), and multiple Iron Maiden Premiums. All reasonable offers (I ultimately took cash). However, I did get an offer from a pinside user (who shall remain anonymous) for a Pinbot and BK2k on my wishlist, and that I should just take them since I got my game for free. These games are great, but regardless of what I paid for my machine I'd be leaving a lot of money on the table... like enough to take my entire family of 5 on a cruise vacation amount of money. I can understand why some people don't want to advertise these prices.
    I can also see it from a manufacturer and distributor's point of view. Minimum allowed advertised price is a great way to keep a profit margin there for the distributors, encourages regional distributors, and keeps NIB pricing from being a race to the bottom that would ultimately hurt the hobby.

It does not matter how much you have in what you are trying to sell. What matters is what is worth.

Years ago, my uncle bought a backhoe and hired his self out to the electric company. He also did independent jobs.

He lived on a small town. People would call him up and want some work done. He would quote his rates he needed and they would all hit on him for a cheaper price and hit him with, “but I thought I was your friend.

You got it for a gift. So what? How much you have in it is not a valid negotiating tool. The correct response for that is GFY.

#47 4 years ago

I listed the price on the last one I sold because it was very clear on my fs thread what the bottom dollar was. Shouldn't surprise anyone so why keep it private. Maybe if I was embarrassed I lost my butt and didn't want friends to find out I wouldn't

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

Players getting paid more is bad for them how?

I could go into a tirade about some athlete who is often enough nothing more than a thug getting paid millions of dollars to play a game when teachers, who are trying to prepare future generations for the life ahead of them get paid 50-60 thousand a year to put up with more abuse than you can imagine. Last week a 2nd grader punched my daughter and told her the shut the fuck up and nothing happened to him. Or the fact that cops and firemen get paid nothing. Or I could say that because of the huge salaries of athletes it costs $100 for a seat in the nosebleeds for a football game. But, that's my opinion.

#50 4 years ago

yup, just cause you get a good deal that special someone thinks you should sell it to them for just a "tad" more. Why would I? I owe nobody on here nothing.

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-pricing-such-a-secret- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.