Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Gunnut40
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Today was such an odd day. I crushed my score on my High Speed 2 and had a bunch of great games on top of that. I went to play my Xenon, which of course mind you is my first table and something I've been playing for several years now, and couldn't get a game together. I am so frustrated right now. I'm hoping that this is normal for others as well. Why is it that pinball can make us so happy and yet piss us off so badly? If anyone else has had an issue with this please let me know. If I'm the only one that feels this way about the hobby then I need to re-evaluate things. I get so angry that if someone was to show up when I was in the moment, I would sell every pin I own. I know that someone else out there must feel this way.

#2 5 years ago

Golf is similar

#3 5 years ago

Nope.

#4 5 years ago

Its rhythm and timing... somedays my reaction time/flipper timing is just off and I suck... other days it's great. I don't have great pinball muscle memory.

#5 5 years ago

I'm right there with you, including getting rid of all of my pins. But then I have an amazing game or three where everything clicks and it's awesome.

#6 5 years ago

Because... the ball is wild.

#7 5 years ago

Randomness (controlled chaos). I am not a pro that can collect 3 balls on one flipper and make shots with the other. Sometimes I can collect some balls on a flipper but then do need to flip or lose the balls in play. Anyway it's very hard for a middling player like myself to make consistent great plays. I can have some great moments that seems like I'm on fire but they I'll do something like drain three balls at the same time to end a Multiball and say to myself "yep that's about the size of it".

Sometimes you can be playing swell and the ball take an odd bounce and sometimes it's not your fault because the machine wants you to drain, partial ramp shots will roll back to your doom, STM from the pops, brutal rejects from stand up targets etc..

#8 5 years ago

That's the beauty Pinball. It never gets old for me. Some days I am the wrecking machine some days I am the ball!

#9 5 years ago

Does anyone have a mental picture of smashing the glass? After a truly brutal or bone headed drain (just in your mind thinking I'd like to smash this glass to pieces) and then say but no it's $300 f-n piece of glass.

What I do do is when I drain, I will nudge the machine (to get a tilt warning) but hopefully not tilt because I have my machines set to three warnings and typically don't get many warnings. My favorite is the tilt quotes from Tron "no noo" and of course TWD (custom) "That is a no-no!"

#10 5 years ago

Someone recommended to me that I read this, then read it again:

https://www.amazon.com/Inner-Game-Tennis-Classic-Performance/dp/0679778314

You'd be surprised how it improves your play, as well as your ability to realize when you're getting in your own head and over thinking it.

If you don't want to read, just remember this: we own pinball machines. If a bad game is the worst thing that happens to you today, that's a great day in my book .

#11 5 years ago

This is part of the reason the game is addictive and we keep coming back. There’s a psychological principle at play.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/brain-wise/201311/use-unpredictable-rewards-keep-behavior-going%3famp

This differs slightly from the article in that we are creating our own reward by playing well rather than getting it doled oit. But it’s the same addictive phenomenon.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Someone recommended to me that I read this, then read it again:
    amazon.com link »
    You'd be surprised how it improves your play, as well as your ability to realize when you're getting in your own head and over thinking it.
    If you don't want to read, just remember this: we own pinball machines. If a bad game is the worst thing that happens to you today, that's a great day in my book .

I should really check this out. From the description it sounds like it addresses my biggest problem in competitive play...getting out of my own head. I am so inconsistent it is ridiculous, and a couple bad games can really put me in a slump. I need to learn how to shake that off, and keep having fun. When I start telling myself that I have to win, or should be playing better than this, it gets worse. When I just say screw it I'm going to have fun playing pinball, I tend to do better. Gotta keep that stress off of myself, but I find that easier said than done. I am amazed just how much of pinball is a mental game.

As for getting mad and selling your collection, be careful with that. I have done it with a couple games, and ended up regretting it. When a game ticks me off I will find some (usually minor) annoyance to focus on and make a rash decision to sell based on that rather than the 95% of the game I love. Then a few month down the road I realize it was a mistake. Walking Dead and Star Wars are both examples of this one for me. At least they are games I know I can buy again someday, and they were replaced by games I enjoy, so it works out one way or another I guess. Just try not to let emotions drive a decision you might regret.

#13 5 years ago

Playing pinball isn't riding a bike...

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

I should really check this out. From the description it sounds like it addresses my biggest problem in competitive play...getting out of my own head. I am so inconsistent it is ridiculous, and a couple bad games can really put me in a slump. I need to learn how to shake that off, and keep having fun. When I start telling myself that I have to win, or should be playing better than this, it gets worse. When I just say screw it I'm going to have fun playing pinball, I tend to do better. Gotta keep that stress off of myself, but I find that easier said than done. I am amazed just how much of pinball is a mental game.
    As for getting mad and selling your collection, be careful with that. I have done it with a couple games, and ended up regretting it. When a game ticks me off I will find some (usually minor) annoyance to focus on and make a rash decision to sell based on that rather than the 95% of the game I love. Then a few month down the road I realize it was a mistake. Walking Dead and Star Wars are both examples of this one for me. At least they are games I know I can buy again someday, and they were replaced by games I enjoy, so it works out one way or another I guess. Just try not to let emotions drive a decision you might regret.

It sounds a little hokey, but it's a good and quick read. I also tend to overthink things and get in my own head and then end up doing worse when I'm playing and it actually "matters". Just reading it won't change your game, but I've found when I consciously try and implement the tips it gave me, you do see an improvement. Even if I don't, I'm definitely more self-aware of when I'm over thinking something or getting upset and it makes me pause and think about it and try and adjust out of it.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from tait316:

I get so angry that if someone was to show up when I was in the moment, I would sell every pin I own. I know that someone else out there must feel this way.

Almost every single day. Luckily, no one has been able to come up with the cash yet.

#16 5 years ago

Or to better sum it up.
    Ball one: almost beat my high score.
    Ball two: plunge ball, get a crappy drain.
    Ball three: two shots in and I’m flipping like a mad man because I can’t get control of ball. Brick, brick, drain.
    Game over man, game over.
    Walk away and don’t come back!

#17 5 years ago

I can have 20 bad games, and then one gem of a game. And all I will remember is that gem. It's those games that make me want to hit start. I want to "win" (even though I don't win anything in my house). I just want to dominate the game. And I'll keep playing until I do.

#18 5 years ago

Inclined hard surface, hard surfaced ball, and Gravity!

#19 5 years ago

Be the ball, Danny

#20 5 years ago

Wow...thanks for all the responses guys. I really appreciate it. I think grantopia hit the nail on the head there. I've seen it myself. Once I know that the special is lit I'll do something dumb and drain down the middle instead of the sides. lol. Glad to know that I'm not going crazy though. Maybe with a few more years of practice I'll see an improvement. I do find myself doing things that I would have never thought about a few years ago. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from tait316:

Wow...thanks for all the responses guys. I really appreciate it. I think grantopia hit the nail on the head there. I've seen it myself. Once I know that the special is lit I'll do something dumb and drain down the middle instead of the sides. lol. Glad to know that I'm not going crazy though. Maybe with a few more years of practice I'll see an improvement. I do find myself doing things that I would have never thought about a few years ago. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Have you tried shooting the lit shots and not draining (sarcasm if that’s not clear ha!). Hope the feedback helps!

#22 5 years ago

Sometimes you play Pinball...sometimes, Pinball plays you

#23 5 years ago

It’s amazing how many of those dumb drains come right after u miss a shot .... then u beat yourself up for missing the shot.

4 weeks later
    #24 5 years ago

This is another thing that makes pinball great. You are given NOTHING

#25 5 years ago

The beauty of pinball is its randomness.Not one game or ball in play is the same.I have played pinball for a lot of years now and still enjoy the challenge.

#26 5 years ago

Thanks for the book recommendation @grantopia. It's changed how I approach the game. The book suggests concentrating on something to keep the critical self occupied..like the seams of the spinning tennis ball or the sound it makes when struck. But neither of these translate well to pinball, IMO. Have you found something particular to concentrate on when you're playing?

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from beeker3000:

Thanks for the book recommendation grantopia. It's changed how I approach the game. The book suggests concentrating on something to keep the critical self occupied..like the seams of the spinning tennis ball or the sound it makes when struck. But neither of these translate well to pinball, IMO. Have you found something particular to concentrate on when you're playing?

Truthfully I try to get as much "removed" from the game as can, but I do find myself focusing on "seeing" the result of the shot and focusing on where the ball is going to end up after I flip.

#28 5 years ago

Depends on how much I drink. That goes for golf also.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-pinball-such-a-mixed-bag?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.