(Topic ID: 73315)

WOW! Pat Lawlor is now back in the game????

By Whysnow

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 136 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by MrBally
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

favre.jpeg
    tate20411.jpg
    pigs-fly-mike-mcglothlen.jpg
    There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 10 years ago

Pinball is on a new renasciance. Pat Lawlor is pretty much the man.

I spoke with him at Expo 2012 and he gave me the impression that he would be putting out a new game in some way, shape, or form.

What is the deal and where is Pat at? Why has nobody tossed enough $$$ at him to convince him to put out a new masterpiece?

My impression from reading stories is that he has no desire to ever work for Stern again, but I would think by now he would be on contract and working on JJP #3 or have started something with a botique manufacturer.

Hell, if PPS realy wanted to have a hot sale, then get Pat involved and have Wizard Blocks finished and sent to production.

Seriously >> where is Pat and WHY for the love of everything pinball is he not back in the game?

#2 10 years ago

That's a good question....know I would love to see something new from him....especially since he has had a lot of time to think about new things since the last one he designed.

#3 10 years ago

As with anything in life, the longer you are away, the harder it is to return. The void gets filled up with something else and then you don't have the time.

Steve

#4 10 years ago

I would have a day 1 preorder for a PPS Wizard Blocks kit.

#5 10 years ago

Wizard Blocks would be my first and probably only NIB purchase. I would LOVE to see that one happen.

#6 10 years ago

Patience my friend, patience...

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#7 10 years ago

He is 62 years old.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

He is 62 years old.

So?

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from kcZ:

He is 62 years old.

I took a dump today

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Patience my friend, patience...

Hope so love his games, be nice to see him back

#12 10 years ago

TBL? I wish

#13 10 years ago

Maybe Pat does what Pat wants ? And maybe he isn't into it anymore.

No matter what pin he designed and it got built. Once news gets out or the game is released. You'll see a major crap storm. Why'd he pick that theme, not happy with that shot, he should have done this.

After so many games, he probably doesn't want the aftermath again.

LTG : )

#14 10 years ago

Last I read he was working with the pro pinball emulation and trying to get an original table released through kick starter. The kick starter didn't make its goal, so pro pinball decided to run another one with a lower goal, but there was no mention of Pats table. Not sure whatever happened. This was in 2012.

http://www.pinballnews.com/news/propinball/index2.html

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Pat Lawlor is pretty much the man.

I agree. Collectors would welcome him back to pinball with open arms.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Maybe Pat does what Pat wants ? And maybe he isn't into it anymore.

When I met him at expo 2012 he was super nice and he was VERY clear at that time that his "next game would be his best one yet"

He made it seem like he had actual designs ready to go and lots of great ideas. He also seemed genuinely excited with the direction pinball was going in and was very suprised with the recent innovation of the botique stuff in the works.

I had always assumed he would be JJP #3 but recently I was told pinball circus is going to be #3 and that it will be a redeption based game

I was also told a rumor that Pat was working with a one off botique game maker on a design but that never seems to have come to reality...

#17 10 years ago

Pat seems like a match made in heaven with JJP. They need to get additional teams going creating games.

#18 10 years ago

then it has to be the big lebowski then

Quoted from Whysnow:

When I met him at expo 2012 he was super nice and he was VERY clear at that time that his "next game would be his best one yet"

#19 10 years ago

I will say it officially, "DIBS" on #1 off the line for it if Pat Lawlor ever makes a new game.

Jack >> mark me down for the first off the line and I will pay now. Make it a non-liscensed theme and let PL do whatever he wants to make it amazing!

#20 10 years ago

I know a little bit about Wizard Blocks, but to me it doesn't really sound like it would have been all that great. I also know that it never came anywhere near completion. Is there something I don't know about that game? Why do people think it would have been so sweet?

#21 10 years ago

Yeah, I agree. I would also love to see Barry Oursler come back. Been saying that for years. Now HIS games were awesome!

#22 10 years ago

Pin2K is sweet. Shot layout looks cool. Non-liscensed theme. Pat Lawlor makes great and interesting games.

What more do you need?

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I will say it officially, "DIBS" on #1 off the line for it if Pat Lawlor ever makes a new game.

Oh, Mr. Anti NIB is now going to buy a 9K Lawlor pin? LOL!!!!!

pigs-fly-mike-mcglothlen.jpgpigs-fly-mike-mcglothlen.jpg

#24 10 years ago

Yup!

even if it is a flying pig themed game!

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

even if it is a flying pig themed game!

What about this theme?

tate20411.jpgtate20411.jpg

#26 10 years ago

Didn't you hear? Pinball is dead! Pat said it died about 4 years ago.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

What about this theme?

tate20411.jpg 85 KB

Yup, no matter how crappy the theme is, if Pat Lawlor is designing it, I am in for 1

#28 10 years ago

Just think they could finish wizard blocks and sell it for $3995 or less.
    Its a small cabinet - minimal controller cost- populated pf I bet they could have less an 2500 tops in it.
    Nice chunk of change for game program finish and a lightly populated pf.

#29 10 years ago

Age has nothing to do with it. Steve Ritchie is in his 60's too.

Steve also has had long gaps without making Pins, only to return.....that's not it.

Steve also hated working for Stern, and then came back.....that's not it either.

In summary, Lawlor can return!

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

Pat's death of pinball speech happened much longer than 4 years ago.

#31 10 years ago

I love lamp...........................and Lawlor

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

Pat's death of pinball speech happened much longer than 4 years ago.

That was the expo before/right at when WMS closed up the pinball division, wasn't it?

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I had always assumed he would be JJP #3 but recently I was told pinball circus is going to be #3 and that it will be a redeption based game

Well that certainly is wrong in a few different ways.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Well that certainly is wrong in a few different ways.

So long as I am right about the 1, that is all that matters

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

So long as I am right about the 1, that is all that matters

That's the problem. Wrong on all three.

#36 10 years ago

I'd imagine Pat Lawlor can afford to live without the drama.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

That's the problem. Wrong on all three.

Well at least I know it won't be a GB crappers theme! I am sure I am right about that one!

#38 10 years ago

If Wizard Blocks ever gets produced it has to be as a P2K game. It would lose all its Wizard magic (performed on video projected onto the playfield) as a standard pin. Hard to see that ever happening.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Well at least I know it won't be a GB crappers theme! I am sure I am right about that one!

I would hope you are right about that one.

#40 10 years ago

Please, oh please mr.lawlor. Please make a new ass kicking game for us. And to all pinball companies, let mr.lawlor make what he wants instead of forcing a crappy licence on him. You will have a hit.
    Oh, get Larry de mar to program.
    Can you say funhouse? Nuff said.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Yup, no matter how crappy the theme is, if Pat Lawlor is designing it, I am in for 1

Just marking that quote.

#42 10 years ago

Going to need John Youssi as artist also!

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Just marking that quote.

Oh no, this isn't going to be another one of those hair-eating ordeals, is it? Where's Collin?

Derek

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

Yep - he stated this at Expo and pissed ALOT of people off. The speech is mentioned in the latest issue of Pinball Magazine by Mike Pacak, and he said one time Pat "gave a really really negative speech about pinball in general that no one was happy about".

Never burn your bridges.

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I took a dump today

Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Last I read he was working with the pro pinball emulation and trying to get an original table released through kick starter. The kick starter didn't make its goal, so pro pinball decided to run another one with a lower goal, but there was no mention of Pats table. Not sure whatever happened. This was in 2012.
    http://www.pinballnews.com/news/propinball/index2.html

I thought that kickstarter failed?

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Yep - he stated this at Expo and pissed ALOT of people off. The speech is mentioned in the latest issue of Pinball Magazine by Mike Pacak, and he said one time Pat "gave a really really negative speech about pinball in general that no one was happy about".
    Never burn your bridges.

Wow Mike has his own pin mag. I keep missing all the good stuff.

#47 10 years ago

Pinball needs new blood. Innovation doesn't come from old hats. More of the same can only last for so long.

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from Spraynard:

Pinball needs new blood. Innovation doesn't come from old hats.

I used to think that too.

But when you consider out of a few billion people on the planet, 10 are pinball designers.

The odds just aren't good for new blood.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

But when you consider out of a few billion people on the planet, 10 are pinball designers.

The odds just aren't good for new blood.

The companies with the most to win/lose (Stern/JJP) should be nurturing some sort of mentor system. It's really short sighted to just let SR or whomever hold up and crank out a game on his own. In less than 10 years we're going to lose all that crop of Williams legacy talent, and then what?

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

The companies with the most to win/lose (Stern/JJP) should be nurturing some sort of mentor system. It's really short sighted to just let SR or whomever hold up and crank out a game on his own. In less than 10 years we're going to lose all that crop of Williams legacy talent, and then what?

Maybe some kid will build some really cool game in his garage and shop it to the current pinball producing companies and one of them will hire him and he'll be the next great thing for pinball?

Nah, could never happen.

But even if not, Pat continued to innovate pinball throughout his career. I don't see any reason why he couldn't keep innovating if given the proper tools.

--Donnie

There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-pat-lawlor-not-back-in-the-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.