(Topic ID: 267853)

Why is Mylar so hated? Help me understand...

By DakotaMike

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1A28420B-ABDE-4D68-8D4B-321C7A126EB1 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    402ona (resized).jpg
    TC (resized).jpg
    B4D75B98-38D6-48EA-A23D-EB301450D2F1 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_PF (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rotordave.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from arolden:

Mylar has saved thousands of playfields which would otherwise be in the dumpster. People only hate it because it is harder to polish than a clearcoated playfield. It's not inherently evil and most people who take Mylar off their playfields don't really need to.

^^^ All of this. ^^^

You can polish Mylar up to a high sheen with a drill polishing kit and some 3M products.

Comes up great!!

No need to risk removing it and ruining your perfectly good playfield.

rd

#22 3 years ago

No, you don’t put a whole sheet of Mylar on your playfield now - that’s silly - this is more for dealing with stuff that was put on 20 years ago.

Quoted from Meri-cah:

Hey Rotodave.... what’s the best products to use for polishing mylar?

Right ...

I use the 3m Perfect It stuff, as posted above.

I used to use the Treasure Cove kits, as also posted above, but when Alan died they said it was basically all 3M stuff anyway, and I can get that locally, so that’s what I use.

I use it on both normal playfields and Mylar playfields.

You need to be patient and go through the steps. If really bad, use 3 first and then 2. Sometimes I might do two a couple of times to get it the way I like it. Patience is the key.

Exactly the same process for Mylar as per a normal cleared PF. Except Mylar, I’ll clean around the edges so that any gunk is gone.

The Mylar gets so shiny, I’ve converted a few “must remove Mylar or buy a new playfield” guys into polishing guys.

Re the bubbles question - yeah sometimes you have a few of those under Mylar. I just polish it up and they sort of aren’t so noticeable. For me, living down here, it’s like “hey I’ll live with these tiny bubbles that hardly anyone who’s coming to play my pins will notice and not spend $2000 NZD on a new playfield that my mates won’t even notice and won’t add any value to the game if I sell it”.

rd

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Meri-cah:

Thanks brutha! Picked up a beautiful police force with perfect mylar all over the playfield. Except it’s dull and I want to brighten it up. I will try and see what I can accomplish.

Easy peasy.

If you’re in the USA, Harbor freight sells drill polishing kits on the cheap. The ones with foam pads. Just take it easy and you’ll be fine.

Pays to strip down the top side of the playfield first, as the 3M shit flies everywhere. It’ll make a big mess if you leave stuff on there (unless you mask it all off)

rd

#26 3 years ago

Actually, I used exactly those techniques on this Cirqus Voltaire playfield I did a few weeks ago. It had a little bit of Mylar, but mainly just a plain PF. You can see how good they come up.

I don’t have any pics of my mylar polishing antics on my phone. But I have posted them on Pinside before. There are some of Diner being done in this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-5-days-of-rd

This CV playfield was pretty poked before I polished it up ...

rd
    1A28420B-ABDE-4D68-8D4B-321C7A126EB1 (resized).jpeg1A28420B-ABDE-4D68-8D4B-321C7A126EB1 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rotordave.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-mylar-so-hated-help-me-understand?tu=rotordave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.