(Topic ID: 267853)

Why is Mylar so hated? Help me understand...

By DakotaMike

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1A28420B-ABDE-4D68-8D4B-321C7A126EB1 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    402ona (resized).jpg
    TC (resized).jpg
    B4D75B98-38D6-48EA-A23D-EB301450D2F1 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_PF (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dakotamike.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Title says it all. Why are mylared playfields so reviled, and why are people so quick to try and pull mylar off of machines that they buy. Being happy to risk pulled insert decals or worse.

I recently bought a non-cc'd Whirlwind and the playfield looks bright and pristine under the mylar. It would definitely not look like that if it hadn't been mylared back in the day. Ball play feels more or less the same as my un-mylared Mousin' Around right next to it. Maybe a hair slower. However, I decided to clean and wax the mylar and damn, it was like playing on ice. I had to actually try and clean the wax off the mylared areas because it played too fast. I was getting saucer rejects and damaged plastics.

So yeah, I'd much prefer a mylared System 11 with a beautiful playfield than an un-mylared one that was all worn. A few inserts have slight cloudiness due to separation from the mylar. But you can't see it when the game/lights are on, and the mylar keeps the ball from getting hung up on the insert edges, so again worth the slight drawback to me.

Or is the main problem faded/dirty/lifting mylar? Some insight would be appreciated!

IMG_PF (resized).jpgIMG_PF (resized).jpg
    #12 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Mylar was needed back then, but it's not needed in the home environment now. What's underneath usually is a huge improvement.
    Just like you'll see people against buying a NIB and having it mylar, its complete overkill.

Aren't playfield protectors basically the same thing? Just more easily removed without danger to the art? Plenty of people put those on new machines, but maybe they don't really need to? I guess they also cut down on dimpling too, right?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dakotamike.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-mylar-so-hated-help-me-understand?tu=dakotamike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.