(Topic ID: 267853)

Why is Mylar so hated? Help me understand...

By DakotaMike

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1A28420B-ABDE-4D68-8D4B-321C7A126EB1 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    402ona (resized).jpg
    TC (resized).jpg
    B4D75B98-38D6-48EA-A23D-EB301450D2F1 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_PF (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Link_Standard.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 3 years ago

I never really noticed much difference in play at all with or without mylar. So I never really got why so many people in there restorations were always pulling it when there was no real need too (unless they were clear coating it).

Like I just got a playfield mostly to use as wall art so this next part doesn't really matter. But before I got it I noticed a little wear in places that I knew were high wear areas because they came from the factory with mylar in place there. I thought; wow it must have been played alot. Upon closer inspection I realized there was no mylar in place at all, it had been pulled (the field was even still sticky). All the damage in the area wasn't caused by the ball. But by some previous person pulling the mylar.

The playfield would have been almost pristine without said past owners actions. Now to be fair it could have been causing an issue. But seeing as the old glue is still on the playfield I'm gonna go with the puller didn't really know what they where doing. They could have been attempting to prep it for new clear coat. But it's a diamond plate and still in nice shape so I don't know. It'll at least look nice on the wall.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Note that mylar wasn't always placed in the correct spots. Sometimes, games had high wear areas that were not protected by factory mylar.
    What I usually do is look at for-sale ads or restoration threads to try to find some of the worst condition playfields available to see where they are wearing, and then protect those areas.

Yeah I'm pretty sure all the playfields for this particular game had mylar in these areas. It's a high ball drop area and the pop bumpers. And the damage is a classic example of pulling the mylar directly without any external help of chemicals or things like freeze spray. But it's honestly not that bad. It's more of just a head shaker in a; you didn't have to do that, why'd you do that kinda way.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Link_Standard.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-mylar-so-hated-help-me-understand?tu=Link_Standard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.