Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20171105_200454 (resized).jpg
20171105_113239 (resized).jpg
20171104_173341 (resized).jpg
20171104_173400 (resized).jpg
20171104_173409 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fredsmythson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 6 years ago

I talked to a route operator back around 1980, and I asked him about these scratched out serial numbers that were mostly on Gottlieb machines. He told me if a distributor was an "exclusive distributor" and wanted to sell machines made by another manufacturer, the distributor would need to secretly buy these unauthorized machines. So, if exclusive Bally distributors wanted to sell Gottlieb machines, they would need to obtain the Gottlieb machines through some source - perhaps a rouge Gottlieb distributor or directly from the factory. To prevent Bally from finding out that "their" distributors were also selling Gottlieb machines, the distributors would scratch out the serial numbers on all the Gottlieb machines so they couldn't be traced... I'm unsure if this is true, but it's an interesting story...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fredsmythson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-my-serial-number-missing?tu=fredsmythson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.