Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_2332.JPG
IMG_0590.JPG
IMG_0588.JPG
IMG_0587.JPG
#1 13 years ago

This is my first post so i hope i don't screw up the formatting to bad.

I have a johnny mnemonic and after seeing pictures of others I'm just curios as to why mine is different.

Here is what i have noticed

The N.A.S, Download, and Mode Ready are obviously stickers but on other machines Cartoon Hero and Riot! are replaced with Access code 1 & 2 and it doesn't look like they have been replaced as they are under the clear coat. The game sounds call them access code 1&2.

IMG_0587.JPGIMG_0587.JPG

The white triangles also have names and are not called just Sector 1, 2 etc. These also appear to be original.

IMG_0588.JPGIMG_0588.JPG

The jet lanes have no titles over them

There is no metal curve to direct the balls from the left row of the cyber matrix into the jet lane area.

IMG_0590.JPGIMG_0590.JPG

The inside of the cabinet states the mfg date to be 7/24/95.

#2 13 years ago

My bad for putting in in the wrong section.

#3 13 years ago

I'm not nearly as familiar with JM as I am with other machines, but I'm guessing yours may be a prototype.

#4 13 years ago

That would be pretty slick, to fall into the first one like that.

#5 13 years ago

if it has red boards under the playfield. ...then i would say it is a proto.

also, the "mode ready" insert looks like it was made red in the "normal" model.

..yours seems to be clear.

#6 13 years ago

yes it does have red boards underneath the playfeild.

Now you can tell me its the first one and worth a million dollars. just kidding

#7 13 years ago

"Now you can tell me its the first one and worth a million dollars. just kidding"

It's probably worth a little more than a regular one, simply by virtue of it being more rare. Of course, it would be a matter of finding the right collector. It would be interesting to know how many JM protos were made.

#8 13 years ago

Pretty cool to have a prototype if you ask me! I've never encountered any prototype (collecting pins for over 10 years). Not sure if it's worth much more than a regular game but I guess it must be.

Thanks for posting the pictures. It's fun to compare them with the "regular" Johnny playfield!

#9 13 years ago

i agree with gweempose. maybe you could squeeze $200-300 more out of it.

cool game tho.

fast.

#10 13 years ago

Pretty cool discovery. Pics of the red boards? Never seen those.

#11 13 years ago

Im going with raijin, prototype on the release flyer the mode is clear like yours, not like the final version

#12 13 years ago

Thanks for the input guys.
I dont really have any interest in selling it anytime soon. Interesting to hear they actually sell off the prototypes. It even has a token accepter so i would think it might have actaully spent some time in an arcade as opposed to sitting in a warehouse most of its life.

Anyways here are the red boards in all their glory.

100_2332.JPG100_2332.JPG

#13 13 years ago

Very cool prototype JM, BaronKrelve! First time I have seen one. Not sure if it is worth more, but it is definately cool.

I think the prototype's playfield labeling make more sense to people not familiar with the Johnny Mnenmonic movie.

If you watch the movie, you know the scraps of paper assigned to Captain Courageous, NAS protest photograph, and female "ghost in the shell" are assigned to the Access Codes in order for Johnny to extract the information relating to the cure for NAS (Nerve Attenuation Syndrome) from his brain.

Someone who hasn't seen this in the movie is probably not going to have a clue what the playfield labels mean (on the final playfields for JM)...so to them, its easier to see modes associated to the graphic (Cartoon Hero, NAS Riot, etc over Access Code 1, Access Code 2).

Prototype or Final version...Johnny Mnemonic pinball is one of my favorite machines of the DCS era, released before the blockbuster WPC-95 games.

2 years later
#14 10 years ago

Just stumbled upon this old post.. I noticed in those pics how download and the other 2 are not outlined in white. Had it been mine that would be an attention getter.... Just the fact that they were different.

1 week later
#15 10 years ago

It's definately a prototype alright.

#16 10 years ago

Congrats on finding a proto. Fun game.

#17 10 years ago

Awesome find.......

#18 10 years ago

Another comment for this old post: cool! I actually like the "cartoon hero" and "riot" labels better for those 2 modes. Access code 1 & 2 seem so generic and boring, but I can see how they wouldn't make as much sense for some players.

#19 10 years ago

The way the wiring is laid out is very interesting.was that the way you received it?

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Another comment for this old post: cool! I actually like the "cartoon hero" and "riot" labels better for those 2 modes. Access code 1 & 2 seem so generic and boring, but I can see how they wouldn't make as much sense for some players.

Can you imagine the callout for those though... I mean... I think "cartoon hero mode" sounds much more hammy than Access Code 1... might just be me, but still. I can hear riot mode though..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Morristown, NJ
$ 29.00
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-my-johnny-mnemonic-different and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.